• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live: Scamming You For 15 Years And Counting

sainraja

Killzone might not exactly be the best example to put Sony together in a boxing ring with Microsoft; in fact it's so unpopular that there are no remasters and it never arrived on PC since there's no interest in this to begin with. It's like Sony even wants to forget about its failures.
But given the point that you were TRYING to make, it is very relevant. People had games to play online on the PS3. Its only those stuck exclusively to X360 say otherwise, e.g. you.

sainraja

Before you think of using the hypocrisy card.

Let me fill you in on my personal stance, which is the same as that from other posters here:

1. I stopped paying for PS+ years ago.
2. I also disagree with games costing $70. I hardly ever buy one for $60 as it is now. My solution is to just let the price drop.
3. I don't use PSNow either, because rental doesn't do it for me. My personal preference, and let's leave it at that.

We are not victims, we are just not stupid.

That advice of yours about fanboys needing to look at mirrors? It's a nice advice. Maybe start practicing what you preach.
I would say even if you were paying for + and/or Live, shouldn't stop you from pointing out things in the past that can be different. The hypocrisy card he tried to use on you still wouldn't apply if you were paying. I wasn't a fan of paying for online play and considered it a benefit, that on the PS3, we didn't have to pay it (which is also why I played online more on the PS3 than my X360.) Unfortunately, this past generation which is now the PS4/XONE generation, I started paying for both (due to games with gold on the Xbox side and getting Destiny on Xbox to play with some of my Xbox friends; I also had the game for PS4.) Microsoft has made a lot of good changes recently with their online offerings so paying for Gold now isn't as much of a problem for me, well, I guess now I've paid up for Ultimate for a good bit due to the deals and purchase of XSX.)

Internet traffic and interception of said packets within that traffic is the basis for hacking through internet net ports to the user on said system who is connected to a network.
how-to-cure-excessive-yawning980-1475502245_980x457-e1495129491381.jpg

Your video just proved that you have to literally use an external device to do the hacking.
No shit.
A $40 plug-n-play external device that is ban-proof.
Tell me more about how hacking on consoles is so unbearably hard because muh internet traffic, IT guy.

martino

Let me fill you in on my personal stance, which is the same as that from other posters here:

2. I also disagree with games costing $70. I hardly ever buy one for $60 as it is now. My solution is to just let the price drop.
3. I don't use PSNow either, because rental doesn't do it for me. My personal preference, and let's leave it at that.

That advice of yours about fanboys needing to look at mirrors? It's a nice advice. Maybe start practicing what you preach.
It's funny...i wasn't targeting you specifically posting that.
My point stand for people paying and whining it's other fault.It's La boetie applied to this example.
You can find them in this thread if you don't play half blind on brand basis like most of the time.
Also why would i not like why i see in the mirror on this subject ? tell me more.

Last edited:

Excess

And it absolutely is.
This I agree with. The 3090 is an absolute scam in terms of value per dollar, but it's also a bit of an open secret, unlike these online services which largely go unchallenged by public perception. I suspect it's all due to some of the points originally highlighted in OP's video. It was easier to put a value on it when competing service offered a subpar online experience in return.

I've since moved on from consoles and into PC's where I've made little-to-no compromise in terms of experience. I was able to justify a 3080 for $700 in lieu of an XSX or PS5 for $500. And while the $200 price difference is not equal in terms of value per dollar, factoring in $60/yr. over three years-plus is the devil in the details. And before anyone wants to split hairs on the value of money over time, I understand a dollar today is more valuable than a dollar tomorrow, but I'll need to stop myself short of doing an actual financial analysis for my sanity's sake.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
how-to-cure-excessive-yawning980-1475502245_980x457-e1495129491381.jpg

No shit.
A $40 plug-n-play external device that is ban-proof.
Tell me more about how hacking on consoles is so unbearably hard because muh internet traffic, IT guy.

Using a external device is not the same as someone hacking into the consoles OS through commands/scripts. Which was what i was talking about. So your telling me Sony has no way of blocking a usb device?

Not exactly professional in the sense of it being a neutral article, right? :rolleyes:

Of course he's right, but - Sony is in on this at least as much as Microsoft, so it's a bit unfair to nearly exclusively pin this issue on Microsoft in title and content of the video. :pie_diana:
Because MS started the BS. And I mean with a capital SHIT. Not only that, but they were by far the worse with what was tied behind said paywall. F2P games were not F2P on Xbox. Streaming apps were hidden behind Gold. Even the fucking web browser was. Then, they have the gall to plaster their OS with ads, even if you pay for Gold. Didn't stop fanboys from sucking MS's D.

It sucks for some that Sony joined in, but at least they weren't complete dicks with the service. Only multiplayer modes were behind the paywall. F2P still meant F2P. You could use the web browser and streaming apps. And on top of that, they gave away games every month since the beginning.

Only when the PS4 looked to curb stomp them did they even change some of these crappy policies. Except F2P games, which they greedily still kept behind the paywall until just recently. Which only happened because their true face was shown, again, when they tried doubling the price of Gold.

Last edited:

John Day

Kinda late to cry about this. Should’ve had this energy back when it first started. Look at those subscription numbers. Too many people just don’t care.

Loope

If everyone did like you, there wouldn't be payed online services on sony consoles.Just like in the MS consoles. That shit won't fly on PC and Steam could easily followed Sony or MS footsteps to try to get that money.

Xbox Live been around since 2002 so it more than 15 years actually and also you can say the same thing about
PS Plus if we are gone to be doing this. And it not a scam if it works and people enjoy it.

Last edited:
Using a external device is not the same as someone hacking into the consoles OS through commands/scripts. Which was what i was talking about.
Nobody here was talking about hacking into console's OS. You're just overly eager to show your IT guy powers when it's not relevant to the discussion on the ease of cheating on different platforms.
"Well, this one specific way of cheating on consoles is difficult".
No shit, which is why they're using other ways that are piss-easy.
So your telling me Sony has no way of blocking a usb device?
You can't block something you have no means to detect. From console's perspective you're just using a wired controller. What's Sony gonna do? Go full Apple and remove USB ports from their console?

So you're out, then.

You're such a little man with unoriginal responses and no good ideas. Your only contribution in this thread is to essentially deny reality. Imagine conducting onself this way in real life as well, starting arguments "by the water cooler" on stuff about which you clearly either have no clue or just to stir the shit due to some irrational adherence to an ideological belief that doesn't comport with real life. I'd be laying bets with people on how many days it would take for you to get your ass kicked in the parking lot. 😅🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Nobody here was talking about hacking into console's OS. You're just overly eager to show your IT guy powers when it's not relevant to the discussion on the ease of cheating on different platforms.
"Well, this one specific way of cheating on consoles is difficult".
No shit, which is why they're using other ways that are piss-easy.

You can't block something you have no means to detect. From console's perspective you're just using a wired controller. What's Sony gonna do? Go full Apple and remove USB ports from their console?

No, i was telling you hacking differences. And you proved my point that you literally have to buy a somewhat expensive controller that has built in mods/and hacks that are preprogrammed and run via the flash storage usually seen in modded controllers. Unless you know wtf you are doing not many people are doing software hacks via direct OS hacks with custom firmware/homebrew.

PC has all of that and a lot of it is freely available and easy to do by watching how to videos.

Value is subjective.

However. complaining about a charge for XBL during the first Xbox from 2001-2007 is mind-numbing to me, no one complained about it at the time because it was literally the best thing out there on consoles and was better than what most average people had access to PC wise. It was basically the exact opposite of CDi-connect and the Sega Dreamcast thing, it has a crap ton of content and features that many felt were worth the price because nothing else came close.

Sure the 360 and onward things become more debatable but the first time I don't think that makes much sense as an argument, likely people pissed off now looking back at the original Xbox years with biased lens and forgot how reality actually played out back then.

im-projecting.jpg

somewhat expensive controller
Lmao. Try finding undetectable custom PC cheats that are this cheap, and a one-time purchase at that.
B-but free cheats on PC!
Will get you HWID perma-banned in a month tops by the anti-cheat (from multiple games as well, if we're talking Steam).
Unless you know wtf you are doing not many people are doing software hacks via direct OS hacks with custom firmware/homebrew.
For the Nth time,
no shit Sherlock.
Because the point of the exercise isn't hAcKiNg tHe OS, but ban-free, hassle-free CHEATING. And consoles allow that, at extremely competitive prices.
Talk about missing forest for the trees.
"Decoding this safe's electronic lock is very difficult, therefore it's secure."
Ok, buddy.

Top Bottom