• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox launches "Black History Month" promotional campaign for the month of February.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Because you never bothered to talk to educated Indvidual's. Immutable characteristics has been around for literal centuries. Educate yourself and stop with the idiotic views.

I'm talking about your average everyday people tossing the phrase around. It's just a token phrase that yall are using now. Like the word "woke".

Not really. The opposite, actually. You'll notice people being treated as members of a group rather than as individuals. If I try to be colorblind, I'm more likely to notice derogations from that ideal.

That's good for you. But that's not the case for most people. I won't people to notice me, both who I am on the outside and inside. That's the way reality works in a society. Be it with humans or animals.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm talking about your average everyday people tossing the phrase around. It's just a token phrase that yall are using now. Like the word "woke".
Sounds like your average everyday person actually understand basic language. I would suggest you try to do the same.

That's good for you. But that's not the case for most people. I won't people to notice me, both who I am on the outside and inside. That's the way reality works in a society. Be it with humans or animals.

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Someone so mired in identity politics you desperately want to have people notice your immutable characteristics because you utterly lack any real personality.

mckmas8808

Sounds like your average everyday person actually understand basic language. I would suggest you try to do the same.

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Someone so mired in identity politics you desperately want to have people notice your immutable characteristics because you utterly lack any real personality.

No, you're just stupid enough to think that people don't notice these "immutable" characteristics. Only a jackass would think such a thing.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
All you've written here is milquetoast pie in the sky nonsense.

The fact that it shouldn't need a special month is fundamental comprehension.

The fact that it should be mixed into the underlying fabric of American education is yet more baseline comprehension.

I'm not happy that we've got just a month of acknowledgement.

There's no pedestals here and it says alot that you think that's what BHM is.

The reality of the American educational experience is that there was intentional silence about African American contributions to the greatness that is America's story and so if the choice is continued intended silence vs a time set aside to acknowledge, I'll take the latter every time.

People in this very thread have admitted to a dearth of AA history in their very own educational pasts and you come with this.

And what's craziest is that now there's a bunch of different months that take time to acknowledge and reference certain marginalized groups and their place in the American tapestry, and that happened because of what BHM did and forced America to confront.

A rising tide lifts all boats but crabs still happy tosleep on the floor.

Ok. Not like people haven't come forward(not even talking about people in this thread) and admitted that their education was lacking in certain areas.

Especially in a country where the lack of nationally standardized textbooks and the very information teachers and educators are allowed to put in their curriculums can be decided by zealots of either wing is a global embarrassment.

Sure you know best, guy from Lost, I presume?
So why is it either/or...

Why does it have to be either silence or Black history Month. What I advocate for is something in between that puts us closer to the ideal.

You limit yourself when you feel you only have two choices. That's not just in this situation. This is IN GENERAL.

The fact that you think my view is some pie in the sky ambition shows that you feel you are powerless to actually choose yet another alternative.

There will always be people who are ignorant to AA history. It is taught in school, though in some cases it is being threatened, I'll agree. How is the solution Black History Month? We've been doing this for decades...and people are still uneducated about it.

How come the solution isn't American History simply including all colors and creeds and their contributions as per necessary?

Stop thinking in black and white, start thinking in gradients and try living your life outside the box society has provided for you.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

So why is it either/or...

Why does it have to be either silence or Black history Month. What I advocate for is something in between that puts us closer to the ideal.

You limit yourself when you feel you only have two choices. That's not just in this situation. This is IN GENERAL.

The fact that you think my view is some pie in the sky ambition shows that you feel you are powerless to actually choose yet another alternative.

There will always be people who are ignorant to AA history. It is taught in school, though in some cases it is being threatened, I'll agree. How is the solution Black History Month? We've been doing this for decades...and people are still uneducated about it.

How come the solution isn't American History simply including all colors and creeds and their contributions as per necessary?

Stop thinking in black and white, start thinking in gradients and try living your life outside the box society has provided for you.

Because we know for a fact that "they" won't teach it if you leave it as "American History". There's a reason Black History week and then Month was created in the first place. Have you seen the CRT conversations on Twitter and FoxNews over the last 2-3 years?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Because we know for a fact that "they" won't teach it if you leave it as "American History". There's a reason Black History week and then Month was created in the first place. Have you seen the CRT conversations on Twitter and FoxNews over the last 2-3 years?
So you think the best way is to force it upon those who have no interest in it? Wouldn't that create more resistance? Kinda like it is now? CRT conversations happen because people feel forced to learn this in schools. Add to the fact that we are teaching kids this is good intentioned but executed poorly.

Instead, I think the country has to make a powerful point to allow people to see the importance of including black history as one in the same as American History. They should do this around the same time kids in my day learned about American history...middle school/high school. We shouldn't be teaching 8 year olds about race and discrimination and the country's history with it. I can guarantee the vast majority of students that age haven't had an independent thought about race or discrimination before that point.

I'm not saying it'll be an easy task to change the hearts and minds of folks across the nation. But what if MLK didn't think the power of peaceful protests in the face of violence was worth pursuing during the civil rights movement. What if he resorted to forceful means to get rid of segregation and Jim Crow? I think he among others laid the groundwork that shows us this is possible. The right way to do it (and the harder way, admittedly), is with power, not force.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

So you think the best way is to force it upon those who have no interest in it? Wouldn't that create more resistance? Kinda like it is now? CRT conversations happen because people feel forced to learn this in schools. Add to the fact that we are teaching kids this is good intentioned but executed poorly.

Instead, I think the country has to make a powerful point to allow people to see the importance of including black history as one in the same as American History. They should do this around the same time kids in my day learned about American history...middle school/high school. We shouldn't be teaching 8 year olds about race and discrimination and the country's history with it. I can guarantee the vast majority of students that age haven't had an independent thought about race or discrimination before that point.

I'm not saying it'll be an easy task to change the hearts and minds of folks across the nation. But what if MLK didn't think the power of peaceful protests in the face of violence was worth pursuing during the civil rights movement. What if he resorted to forceful means to get rid of segregation and Jim Crow? I think he among others laid the groundwork that shows us this is possible. The right way to do it (and the harder way, admittedly), is with power, not force.

Over 90% of the stuff taught in school is forced on us and many of us have no interest in it (as kids). That's called life. In a perfect world, I'd 100% agree with you though. We just don't live in that world. And because of that kids in elementary school 100% "HAVE" to learn about racism and America's history.

If not, we do them a disservice. I'd hate to go 18 years of my life thinking the American presidents actually believed that every person born in this country were equal and had a legit chance at a real pursuit to happiness. I'm glad I learned around the age of 11 that was a lie.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Over 90% of the stuff taught in school is forced on us and many of us have no interest in it (as kids). That's called life. In a perfect world, I'd 100% agree with you though. We just don't live in that world. And because of that kids in elementary school 100% "HAVE" to learn about racism and America's history.

If not, we do them a disservice. I'd hate to go 18 years of my life thinking the American presidents actually believed that every person born in this country were equal and had a legit chance at a real pursuit to happiness. I'm glad I learned around the age of 11 that was a lie.
Bad comparison. Also that's an overstatement. It's a bad comparison because that 90% you are referring to isn't racially charged curriculum. Nobody is protesting Geometry brotha.

Also nobody's asking for a perfect world. An improved one would be nice.

mckmas8808

Bad comparison. Also that's an overstatement. It's a bad comparison because that 90% you are referring to isn't racially charged curriculum. Nobody is protesting Geometry brotha.

Also nobody's asking for a perfect world. An improved one would be nice.

But is teaching Black History "racially charged"?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
FFS, there is no such thing as "black history". Its just American History. Or, depending on the country, Ugandan history. South African history. etc. You actively try to make it racially charged and can't even see the very obvious flaws in your own logic.

Season 2 Get Help GIF by Living Single

mckmas8808

FFS, there is no such thing as "black history". Its just American History. Or, depending on the country, Ugandan history. South African history. etc. You actively try to make it racially charged and can't even see the very obvious flaws in your own logic.

Season 2 Get Help GIF by Living Single

Black....... History........ Month.

It's literally in the name.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Black history? No. Not if you don't make it racially charged.

That's the problem with CRT, though. It's forcing it down people's throats, teaching children things that they really shouldn't be having to deal with at that point in their lives. If you look at some of the things taught in CRT...it might be considered accurate to an extent, but still there's a right time and place to start approaching those subjects. Particularly, when students are mature enough to have an open mind about it and if it's taught with the goal of eliminating discrimination, rather than simply reporting on it.

I think it's better to let kids discover friends of all colors and creeds prior to any systematic revelation by people with an obvious agenda.

mckmas8808

Just my 2 cents when it comes to school no we don't need to teach Black History we just need our History told, the good, the bad and especially the ugly

On this we agree.

Black history? No. Not if you don't make it racially charged.

That's the problem with CRT, though. It's forcing it down people's throats, teaching children things that they really shouldn't be having to deal with at that point in their lives. If you look at some of the things taught in CRT...it might be considered accurate to an extent, but still there's a right time and place to start approaching those subjects. Particularly, when students are mature enough to have an open mind about it and if it's taught with the goal of eliminating discrimination, rather than simply reporting on it.

I think it's better to let kids discover friends of all colors and creeds prior to any systematic revelation by people with an obvious agenda.

But CRT isn't taught to kids. It's a high end curriculum, mainly for college aged students.

He didn't say people don't notice. The criticism was about *wanting* people to notice them.
At the end of the day if you have any group of people that weren't respected by their government or its citizens and it takes 100s of years to get there, it's understandable if those people and their descendents want to be "seen" if you catch my drift.

TexMex

At the end of the day if you have any group of people that weren't respected by their government or its citizens and it takes 100s of years to get there, it's understandable if those people and their descendents want to be "seen" if you catch my drift.

Didn’t say it wasn’t. Only pointing out that you’re saying he’s making an argument that he wasn’t at all.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
On this we agree.

But CRT isn't taught to kids. It's a high end curriculum, mainly for college aged students.

CRT has no place in any form of academia. Not surprised to see you try and defend it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Didn’t say it wasn’t. Only pointing out that you’re saying he’s making an argument that he wasn’t at all.

There is no point in having a conversation with him. He is wholly incapable of escaping that victimhood complex of his.

Last edited:

Sinfulgore

I don’t think people want to be seen because people they never met weren’t respected by others they also never met. I think this is just an excuse these people use because all they really want is attention or an excuse for why their life hasn’t ended up the way they wanted. Social media has created this new “look at me” generation who think their value and worth are based on how society sees them. It's honestly pretty pathetic.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don’t think people want to be seen because people they never met weren’t respected by others they also never met. I think this is just an excuse these people use because all they really want is attention or an excuse for why their life hasn’t ended up the way they wanted. Social media has created this new “look at me” generation who think their value and worth are based on how society sees them. It's honestly pretty pathetic.

This is exactly it. Look at how many from the age of 35 and younger act as if they are owed the world, despite having so much. They fail at life so they need an excuse, they want attention, and they think that they deserve to be treated like kings for doing fuck all. Entitled racists is the best way to describe it.

But then again, this is also the same person who tried to make claims that slave and master drives were "Racist", hence the title. Clearly cut from the same cloth.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You say "mainly". I'm no teacher so I won't refute what you're saying, but from what I've understood, tenets of CRT are taught at the K-12 level. Maybe it's adjusted for the age group of it's students, but I coulda sworn that was the argument where people are sitting in school meetings pretty upset about it.

I'll recheck my facts just to make sure.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You say "mainly". I'm no teacher so I won't refute what you're saying, but from what I've understood, tenets of CRT are taught at the K-12 level. Maybe it's adjusted for the age group of it's students, but I coulda sworn that was the argument where people are sitting in school meetings pretty upset about it.

I'll recheck my facts just to make sure.

They absolutely teach it in the K-12 level. I had to deal with this retardation with my niece. She is now homeschooled along with 30 other students. Racist bullshit.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Welp, there it is, first hand testimony.

Absolutely baffling that anyone accepts this crap. Schools are hemorrhaging money and students as they continue to find other places to go, never even thinking that their educational curriculum is the problem (or their blatant, political/ideologue teachers trying to indoctrinate children are).

Btw, CRT was created and pushed by people who were not black, putting a black face on it, with mass funding also by not blacks just like BLM, if you look at the disclosures and history, the latter group which was created right after SPLC labeled other groups as hate groups, making it corporate approved, which is why your local Denny's has a sign on their window.

Don't forget Mike Browns friend who started the protest before BLM got involved, said they invaded with the media and he was killed shortly after, and all the people who supported him stopped talking and showing themselves.

What's more is, until the recent actions by politicians against CRT in the last year or two, they were saying CRT didn't exist, now it does and not teaching it is racist.

If you ask the average person if they know what CRT is who were pushed to support it, they will say they don't know.

This shows most people don't think, and just support who they are told to by the people who they are told are good and accepting, and to hate everyone else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom