• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is working on a feature that mutes your speakers when a headset is plugged in

Quasicat

This is nice, but I would love Bluetooth audio support instead. I use it on my Switch all of the time. Even usb audio support would be nice since they make Bluetooth adapters for that. The one I use on PS4 (and PS3) is awesome with absolutely no latency.

Cut the snark wise guy,
Donald Trump Rnc GIF by Election 2016

the system's got itself worked out from the start, since you can set mic cut-off threshold
Well you're still picking up obnoxious noise when you're talking.
on any self respecting platform,
We talking Xbox features here innit. In master race land sure you can probably just have some processing remove your game sound from the mic even if you have speakers blasting right next to it.
there's also push to talk
Yeah not really a thing on Xbox.
and mute buttons on mics,
A thing on Xbox yet somehow there's always a couple of 'blast sound through speakers' guys in a lobby who don't bother to use said feature.
and if all that fails you can easily mute anyone in any modern game.
The practical effect of having a large percentage of the playerbase blasting their game audio through their mics isn't individually muting, it's people retreating to party chat or disabling in-game voice chat altogether.
The idea of having your game audio mixed in with low quality voices of different volumes, over an inferior sound source is not just ridiculous, it's repugnant.
So let me get this straight... blocking your ear with a crappy one-ear headset is the way? Muffling sound in one ear from your glorious speakers? Inferior sound source? Just spend as much on your headset as you do on your glorious speakers and you'll be fine, wtf. Do you play online games like twice a year or something?

Mr Moose

you can only choose speakers only or headphones only, on Xbox you can output on both simultaneously, and because speakers can be turned off, you always haf the option for both.

on PS4 and 5 you don't have the option, you either have one or the other, not both.
Doesn't this depend on the input of the headphones? I am sure I've had headphones on and had it playing from the TV too before (OG PS4/Pro) using digital out, just not over USB/controller.

playXray

I never understood the logic behind this. Even my Commodore Amiga would mute the speakers when headphones were attached. At least they are finally doing what other hardware was doing 30 years ago.

Great. I much preffered this method on my PS4. When I got my XSX I wondered why it still had audio on the TV. Now we just need HDR menus.

For those console warring, Theres a handful of features the Xbox Series consoles have that the PS5 still doesn't do.

TLZ

Banned
Why'd it take them this long? Finally. Sometimes I forget to mute my TV when using headphones thinking no sound is coming out of the TV, until my wife comes storming in..

Three

Because a "headphone" might be a chintsy headset largely designed for voice not audio. (often one ear/mono) I believe Xbox still comes with one of these headsets out of the box.

I know on the XBox there was ways to have the headset only play the voices of other users, and not the game audio, with game audio going to your TV/surround system. Sometimes games would target this feature as well and have any sort of "radio chatter" in a single player game go through headset and not speakers.

Nowadays most people just plug in headphones and mute any mic lol
On PS4/PS5 you can choose to have chat audio on headphones while game audio is on the TV at a system level as an option. There is absolutely no reason to have the same audio playing on the TV and headphones together though.

Last edited:

Karak

What about the 1 ear chat mics that came bundled with all the consoles, why would you want to mute speakers to use that? Is there an option to turn this behavior off?
Strangely enough, ya same exact thing I thought of. Wlel not just that. I have tons of times where I don't want it muted for various reasons. Will be interested to see. I suppose you will be able to

Lognor

Banned
I fully appreciate the fact check. Thank you for that.

Simplink is a pretty funny name too yeah.

Wow, so you can come over here and tell my TV remote that it's not working right, a quick google will lead you to finding many other people with this issue.

FFS stop trying to fucking console warrior all the god damn time.

I have a perfectly functional Sony 1080P tv, it's one of the best 1080p TV's around I'm not going to change it anytime soon and the remote doesn't function like I've stated. Even my fucking Raspberry pi 2 and pi 3 have the HDMI-CEC controls with my TV remote.

THIS IS AN ISSUE. Just because you don't have it, doesn't mean it's not a real issue FFS, it's users like you that burry these issues on users like me because you think it's about a console dick wagging. and this is why shit doesn't get fixed.

I'm pissed off that my PS3 pi 2 and pi 3 did SIMPLE THINGS that my Series X doesn't, and all these SIMPLE THINGS are HDMI-CEC related. This is an issue with MS caring about "older" TV's.
Wtf are you talking about? The other poster didn't mention ps. In fact you did. "Welcome to the ps4 era,xbox". Come off it. If active is console warring it sounds like you.

Lognor

Banned
On PS4/PS5 you can choose to have chat audio on headphones while game audio is on the TV at a system level as an option. There is absolutely no reason to have the same audio playing on the TV and headphones together though.
What if you have a nice set of headphones you want to use but your friend wants to watch you play? So there is reason. Options are great!

Tschumi

I don't get it. When i plug earphones or something into my phone the speakers mute.

This is news? This ... wasn't already the case?

jaysius

Banned
What if you have a nice set of headphones you want to use but your friend wants to watch you play? So there is reason. Options are great!
That is such a bizarre and antisocial thing to do, sit there with headphones on while you have company over...

Reallink

Do people still chat in-game? I've been using Discord for this for so long I didn't realize people still did it. I just assumed everyone was like me and only wanted to talk to friends while gaming.

The chat mics work with the OS level party chat, doesn't have to be in game channel randos. But yes some people do still use it.

Last edited:

Three

I guess if you're such an audiophile that you would rather block out hearing your friends while they watch you play than put up with TV speaker sound that's a reason but I don't know if many would choose to do that. Anyway, it's good that there are more options now in any case.

This is nice, but I would love Bluetooth audio support instead. I use it on my Switch all of the time. Even usb audio support would be nice since they make Bluetooth adapters for that. The one I use on PS4 (and PS3) is awesome with absolutely no latency.
Native Bluetooth audio compat would be awesome....there are ways around it now but they are annoying

pasterpl

HDCP means "High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection", I believe you mean HDMI-CEC:

One of the best things about Sony's implement of CEC is that when you hit the PS button on the controller (On PS4 PS5 at least) and the console is already on it will switch back to that HDMI input without having to pick up the TV remote. I'll often switch back to the PC for a minute and then back to the PS5 so I use that a lot.

The whole TV remote controlling the XMB feature is great for media though yeah, the media buttons at the bottom of the remote even work (On Sony remotes/TVs at least) in the media player app on PS5.
My tv remote works fine with my Xbox on my Samsung tv. Same with bold part, my tv switches automatically to Xbox when I switch it on. It was like this with my Xbox one x and same happens with my series X console.

Because a "headphone" might be a chintsy headset largely designed for voice not audio. (often one ear/mono) I believe Xbox still comes with one of these headsets out of the box.

I know on the XBox there was ways to have the headset only play the voices of other users, and not the game audio, with game audio going to your TV/surround system. Sometimes games would target this feature as well and have any sort of "radio chatter" in a single player game go through headset and not speakers.

Nowadays most people just plug in headphones and mute any mic lol
What you describe works out of the box with PS4 with the included earplug +mic.
QKJXoWM.jpg

SkylineRKR

I prefer how my PS5 does it. It just mutes the speakers when I power on the Pulse. I hate how I have to lower the volume of my TV when I'm on Xbox. Mute works but a constant pictogram isn't ideal.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Great. Sounds like 5 minute job and few extra lines of code followed by many hours of testing to see if it didn't break anything else in the system.

cormack12

Gold Member
Why'd it take them this long? Finally. Sometimes I forget to mute my TV when using headphones thinking no sound is coming out of the TV, until my wife comes storming in..

hahaha, she comes running into the room, one tiddy out ready to slap your ass silly. Been there man.

I did find it weird at first and a bit of an annoyance when using open backs as it reverbs in party chat. But when using the shit headphone like PropellerEar PropellerEar posted that's the use case for still having audio through your TV and party chat through the earbud. Either way I hope it's a setting because it will be useful to me in different use cases.

PaintTinJr

I often have friends over and still want to use my headphones while playing.

we sometimes hand off controllers playing stuff like apex legends, doing drinking games or just hang out. games like that basically need you to have good audio, therefore headphones on.

on PS5 the one not playing would then sit there in silence, no audio.

this annoyed me ever since I first got a PS4.
But any manufacturer that knows anything about effective echo cancellation - to avoid recursive speaker -> mic -> speaker -> mic, amplification known as recursive feedback loop - would know that both the speaker, and potentially any sound leakage from the headphones will be slightly out of sync, and both need echo cancelled to provide good quality sound for voice chat.

There is no good way to do what you want with speakers + headphones, the choice is either everyone on phones, or everyone using speaker sound in the room.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Native Bluetooth audio compat would be awesome....there are ways around it now but they are annoying

What are the ways around it? Only thing I can think of a bluetooth transmitter connected to your TV's audio out 3.5mm if its has one. Yeah, that would be annoying.

K2D

Banned
Is this a bug or a feature? I would like the option to have sound from both speakers and headset (for when spectators want to follow whats happening on the big screen) on the PS4/PS5..

Kuranghi

My tv remote works fine with my Xbox on my Samsung tv. Same with bold part, my tv switches automatically to Xbox when I switch it on. It was like this with my Xbox one x and same happens with my series X console.

Nice, in the bolded part I've specified that when you hit the PS button after the console is already on then it will switch back to that HDMI port though, I understand that HDMI-CEC works generally with Samsung, Sony, LG, big brand TVs etc with a current or last gen Xbox console in terms of it switching to the HDMI input of the console when the TV detects its been turned on.

Specifically what situation I mean is: I turn on the PS5, it auto switches to that HDMI input like it does for yourself with the Samsung and the Xbox, but when I want to go to the PC I hit a button my wireless keyboard (anything that opens a full screen app will cause the TV to switch back to the PC HDMI input ime), use the PC, then I just pick up the PS5 controller and hit the PS button and it goes back to the PS5, all without having to ever pick up the TV remote.

Does yours do that? I'm genuinely asking not trying to be a nobber. I believe the PS button press getting sent through CEC to the TV is a feature unique to Sony TVs when paired with Sony consoles, like Jaysen said above about being able to control the PS5 UI with the Sony TV remote.

By the bolded part do you mean the Samsung remote controls the Xbox UI? Thats really cool if so and I think it may be a thing specific to Samsung TVs + Xbox since they have had deals in the past.

Wtf are you talking about? The other poster didn't mention ps. In fact you did. "Welcome to the ps4 era,xbox". Come off it. If active is console warring it sounds like you.
I was about to say... He came in taunting....

What about the 1 ear chat mics that came bundled with all the consoles, why would you want to mute speakers to use that? Is there an option to turn this behavior off?
I use a 1 ear chat mic because I hate on ear headphones. It would totally suck if my TV got muted when I plugged in my headset.

I thought that Xbox did support HDMI-CEC though. When I turn the Xbox on it automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to and Xbox labeled channel. It also turns the TV off when I shut the system down. If MS wants to add an option to mute the TV when a headset is plugged in that's fine but I'm cool with how things are right now. More options are better than less.

Top Bottom