• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is working on a feature that mutes your speakers when a headset is plugged in

Topher

Gold Member
For Xbox owners, switching from your speakers to a headset is about to become much more simple. Microsoft is currently testing out a feature that will automatically mute your speakers whenever you plug a headset into your Xbox controller.

In a recent update to the Alpha Skip-Ahead ring of the Xbox Insider program, the company announced that it has begun rolling out the new feature to users who are part of the Xbox Insider program. Now, instead of having to manually turn down your speakers every time you plug in a headset, the speakers will be automatically muted, saving you some headache.

Right now, users who plug in a headset to their Xbox controller then have to turn down their speakers if they don’t want double audio coming through. To compare, the PS5 already has a feature that automatically mutes speakers when a headset is recognized, so it’s nice to see Microsoft is finally following suit.

The recent update to the Alpha Skip-Ahead ring also includes new colorblind filters for Xbox Series X|S owners. The filters support multiple forms of color blindness and can be adjusted to users’ preferences without impacting a game’s performance. This is a great accessibility addition that should be super helpful to many gamers.

Right now, Microsoft is only testing these new features with the Alpha Skip-Ahead ring of Xbox Insiders. However, the company is usually pretty quick with these features once they make it to the Insider program, so we’ll likely see these features rolling out to everyone pretty soon.

I hope it does the same thing with wireless headsets so I won't have to mute my monitor every time.

jaysius

Banned
Great! Welcome to PS4 era Xbox!

Now Microsoft needs to work on getting REMOTE CONTROLS that use HDCP HDMI-CEC to WORK like they worked on a PS3, that is allowing a TV remote to control the Xbox's GUI. You can do this with a Logitech Harmony remote(I think) but PS3 did it just perfectly with any good brand TV's remote as long as the TV had HDCP HDMI-CEC.

OH ALSO what we could REALLY USE that PS3 also supported is AUTO GAME MODE DETECTION, it's a simple thing in HDCP HDMI-CEC settings that MS could enable so that we don't have to manually switch out of game mode when we go to watch Netflix. My TV does this perfectly with a PS3 and PS4, but not at all with a Series X.

It's really odd how MS has chosen to skip simple features that make small QOL changes, while implementing a few that are "extra".

I'm not sure we have the "night light" option yet in Xbox non-insider build yet, but I'll gladly turn down the brightness of my Xbox buttons when that hits.

EDIT: The HDMI-CEC remote control is currently in an Alpha Skip-Ahead which is "bleeding edge" so it'll eventually come to the Series X.

Still no news on the basic AUTO GAME MODE DETECTION THOUGH... maybe in another year or so.

The Night light option arrived shortly after this post.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Now Microsoft needs to work on getting REMOTE CONTROLS that use HDCP to WORK like they worked on a PS3, that is allowing a TV remote to control the Xbox's GUI. You can do this with a Logitech Harmony remote(I think) but PS3 did it just perfectly with any good brand TV's remote as long as the TV had HDCP.
I can already do this with my remote.

On topic: I missed this so much so Finally!

Reallink

What about the 1 ear chat mics that came bundled with all the consoles, why would you want to mute speakers to use that? Is there an option to turn this behavior off?

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
What about the 1 ear chat mics that came bundled with all the consoles, why would you want to mute speakers to use that? Is there an option to turn this behavior off?
Do people still chat in-game? I've been using Discord for this for so long I didn't realize people still did it. I just assumed everyone was like me and only wanted to talk to friends while gaming.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm surprised it doesn't already do this, like all other devices on the planet with a headphone jack. It's like the most obvious thing.

When I first got my XSX, I think I played on the thing for about on hour with a headset plugged into my controller before I realized the sound was still coming from the speakers. Thought the thing was defective until I googled and found out this was by design.

Kuranghi

Now Microsoft needs to work on getting REMOTE CONTROLS that use HDCP to WORK like they worked on a PS3, that is allowing a TV remote to control the Xbox's GUI. You can do this with a Logitech Harmony remote(I think) but PS3 did it just perfectly with any good brand TV's remote as long as the TV had HDCP.

OH ALSO what we could REALLY USE that PS3 also supported is AUTO GAME MODE DETECTION, it's a simple thing in HDCP settings that MS could enable so that we don't have to manually switch out of game mode when we go to watch Netflix. My TV does this perfectly with a PS3 and PS4, but not at all with a Series X.

It's really odd how MS has chosen to skip simple features that make small QOL changes, while implementing a few that are "extra".

I'm not sure we have the "night light" option yet in Xbox non-insider build yet, but I'll gladly turn down the brightness of my Xbox buttons when that hits.

HDCP means "High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection", I believe you mean HDMI-CEC:

One of the best things about Sony's implement of CEC is that when you hit the PS button on the controller (On PS4 PS5 at least) and the console is already on it will switch back to that HDMI input without having to pick up the TV remote. I'll often switch back to the PC for a minute and then back to the PS5 so I use that a lot.

The whole TV remote controlling the XMB feature is great for media though yeah, the media buttons at the bottom of the remote even work (On Sony remotes/TVs at least) in the media player app on PS5.

I never understood why this hasn't been a thing. It's annoying needing to mute my TV, and even more so if I want to play on my monitor for 120hz.

MikeM

I hope I can turn it off. My kids love hearing the action in Warzone while I have my headset on.

The technology is finally there.

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

ZoukGalaxy

on PS4 ypu can literally not output audio over the speakers as soon as ou plug in headphones.

you could always turn off your speakers on Xbox you know... so PS4/5 is still behind
That's exactly what he's saying: speakers are muted when you plug an headphone on PS4 and PS5 which is extremely convenient, you don't have to mute anything manually.

Please stop juvenile platform wars ("still behind"), nobody cares.

jaysius

Banned
HDCP means "High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection", I believe you mean HDMI-CEC:

One of the best things about Sony's implement of CEC is that when you hit the PS button on the controller (On PS4 PS5 at least) and the console is already on it will switch back to that HDMI input without having to pick up the TV remote. I'll often switch back to the PC for a minute and then back to the PS5 so I use that a lot.

The whole TV remote controlling the XMB feature is great for media though yeah, the media buttons at the bottom of the remote even work (On Sony remotes/TVs at least) in the media player app on PS5.
I mean my ancient Samsung LCD TV with Anynet did all those things on PS3 and PS4, and my new TV remote did all those things on PS4, it really sucks that MS doesn't acknowledge this ever.

I think Xbox One X had all these features but they just decided not to put them into the Series consoles for no good reason.

That's exactly what he's saying: speakers are muted when you plug an headphone on PS4 and PS5 which is extremely convenient, you don't have to mute anything manually.

THIS...

FFS you can't mention ANYTHING one console HAS that the other DOESN'T without some person thinking it's a prompt for a fucking console war.

I'm stating factual features that my old stuff had that my new Series X doesn't.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
on PS4/5 you can literally not output audio over the speakers as soon as you plug in headphones.

you could always turn off your speakers on Xbox you know... so PS4/5 is still behind as you literally have bo option to have both while you always had the option of either on Xbox

This is not true on PS5. I don't have my PS4 hooked up right now to test it. However, on PS5, you can change the sound source regardless if headphones are plugged in.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I mean my ancient Samsung LCD TV with Anynet did all those things on PS3 and PS4, and my new TV remote did all those things on PS4, it really sucks that MS doesn't acknowledge this ever.

I agree, I was just telling you you had the wrong name of the tech and corrected it so as not to confuse others reading your post. Anynet is Samsung's name for HDMI-CEC, Sony calls it BraviaSync and LG calls it SIMPLink which is quite funny lol.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Now Microsoft needs to work on getting REMOTE CONTROLS that use HDCP HDMI-CEC to WORK like they worked on a PS3, that is allowing a TV remote to control the Xbox's GUI. You can do this with a Logitech Harmony remote(I think) but PS3 did it just perfectly with any good brand TV's remote as long as the TV had HDCP.

OH ALSO what we could REALLY USE that PS3 also supported is AUTO GAME MODE DETECTION, it's a simple thing in HDCP settings that MS could enable so that we don't have to manually switch out of game mode when we go to watch Netflix. My TV does this perfectly with a PS3 and PS4, but not at all with a Series X.

Xbox Has HDMI-CEC, and ALLM (auto low latency mode.)

I don't think there's a single thing you mentioned here that Xbox doesn't support the standard for.

jaysius

Banned
I agree, I was just telling you you had the wrong name of the tech and corrected it so as not to confuse others reading your post. Anynet is Samsung's name for HDMI-CEC, Sony calls it BraviaSync and LG calls it SIMPLink which is quite funny lol.

I fully appreciate the fact check. Thank you for that.

Simplink is a pretty funny name too yeah.

Xbox Has HDMI-CEC, and ALLM (auto low latency mode.)

I don't think there's a single thing you mentioned here that Xbox doesn't support the standard for.

Wow, so you can come over here and tell my TV remote that it's not working right, a quick google will lead you to finding many other people with this issue.

FFS stop trying to fucking console warrior all the god damn time.

I have a perfectly functional Sony 1080P tv, it's one of the best 1080p TV's around I'm not going to change it anytime soon and the remote doesn't function like I've stated. Even my fucking Raspberry pi 2 and pi 3 have the HDMI-CEC controls with my TV remote.

THIS IS AN ISSUE. Just because you don't have it, doesn't mean it's not a real issue FFS, it's users like you that burry these issues on users like me because you think it's about a console dick wagging. and this is why shit doesn't get fixed.

I'm pissed off that my PS3 pi 2 and pi 3 did SIMPLE THINGS that my Series X doesn't, and all these SIMPLE THINGS are HDMI-CEC related. This is an issue with MS caring about "older" TV's.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Good lord dude.. I mainly play on PC/Playstation.

But Xbox has support for the standards... that's it.. all I said.

You ever check to make sure CEC is enabled on the port you have your Xbox connected to for instance? You sure your TV actually supports the standard for ALLM?

I'm just trying to help you fucking weirdo. FWIW I don't know if Xbox One has CEC, I just know it's on XSX.. because I have one.. and it works for me.

Last edited:

Starcheif

I fully appreciate the fact check. Thank you for that.

Simplink is a pretty funny name too yeah.

Wow, so you can come over here and tell my TV remote that it's not working right, a quick google will lead you to finding many other people with this issue.

I have a perfectly functional Sony 1080P tv, it's one of the best 1080p TV's around I'm not going to change it anytime soon and the remote doesn't function like I've stated. Even my fucking Raspberry pi 2 and pi 3 have the HDMI-CEC controls with my TV remote.

THIS IS AN ISSUE. Just because you don't have it, doesn't mean it's not a real issue FFS, it's users like you that burry these issues on users like me because you think it's about a console dick wagging. and this is why shit doesn't get fixed.
My TV (LG OLED) remote works with my Xbox. I just did a review of my settings this morning and found the below link helpful for someone like me.

jaysius

Banned
Good lord dude.. I mainly play on PC/Playstation.

But Xbox has support for the standards... that's it.. all I said.

You ever check to make sure CEC is enabled on the port you have your Xbox connected to for instance? You sure your TV actually supports the standard for ALLM?

I'm just trying to help you fucking weirdo. FWIW I don't know if Xbox One has CEC, I just know it's on XSX.. because I have one.. and it works for me.

I even stated, that there are features on the Xbox One HDMI-CEC that they've dropped on the Series console.

My Series X acknowledges that my TV has HDMI-CEC but it doesn't fully support it.

It's currently on SKIP AHEAD and ALPHA builds. (source) So they've dragged their heels a long time on this one.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I even stated, that there are features on the Xbox One HDMI-CEC that they've dropped on the Series console.

My Series X acknowledges that my TV has HDMI-CEC but it doesn't fully support it.
Looks like full support is coming, never really noticed it was incomplete myself (I bought an XSX out of boredom and it mostly sits in my bedroom lol):

IIRC ALLM stuff just doesn't work on some Sony TVs unless you have a Playstation because they did their own version, but it does work on their 2.1 TVs IIRC.

These "standards" are so all over the place lol.. next up, HDMI 2.2 which will take 5 years to really work!

Last edited:

Banned
This is not true on PS5. I don't have my PS4 hooked up right now to test it. However, on PS5, you can change the sound source regardless if headphones are plugged in.
you can only choose speakers only or headphones only, on Xbox you can output on both simultaneously, and because speakers can be turned off, you always haf the option for both.

on PS4 and 5 you don't have the option, you either have one or the other, not both.

Banned

and what I am saying is that on PS4 and 5 you don't have the option, you either mute your TV/Speakers or you mute your headphones. you can't output both simultaneously, but you can do both on Xbox.

this feature, while convenient, doesn't really add functionality.

also, stating simple facts is not platform waring, it's stating simple facts.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Ive been using it since yesterday (I'm on the Alpha releases). I couldn't believe it took them this long to get it. Extremely useful feature.

Topher

Gold Member
you can only choose speakers only or headphones only, on Xbox you can output on both simultaneously, and because speakers can be turned off, you always haf the option for both.

on PS4 and 5 you don't have the option, you either have one or the other, not both.

Not what you said. You said: "on PS4/5 you can literally not output audio over the speakers as soon as you plug in headphones.". Factually not true.

Yes, you can only choose headphones or speakers. Why in the world would you want sound coming from your speakers if you have headphones on?

On Xbox, you were getting audio from both headphones and speakers whether you want it or not and you had to mute the TV. Thankfully that is being fixed.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Not what you said. You said: "on PS4/5 you can literally not output audio over the speakers as soon as you plug in headphones.". Factually not true.

Yes, you can only choose headphones or speakers. Why in the world would you want sound coming from your speakers if you have headphones on?
Because a "headphone" might be a chintsy headset largely designed for voice not audio. (often one ear/mono) I believe Xbox still comes with one of these headsets out of the box.

I know on the XBox there was ways to have the headset only play the voices of other users, and not the game audio, with game audio going to your TV/surround system. Sometimes games would target this feature as well and have any sort of "radio chatter" in a single player game go through headset and not speakers. edit: Appreciate people pointing out Playstation has these same features for headsets, which to me is really the thing you want an option for. I've honestly never used Playstation for anything but single player games lol

Nowadays most people just plug in headphones and mute any mic lol

Last edited:

Banned

I often have friends over and still want to use my headphones while playing.

we sometimes hand off controllers playing stuff like apex legends, doing drinking games or just hang out. games like that basically need you to have good audio, therefore headphones on.

on PS5 the one not playing would then sit there in silence, no audio.

this annoyed me ever since I first got a PS4.

Last edited:

Drew1440

I know the Xbox One had an IR blaster that would send power and AV signals to the TV, but I always preferred the HDMI-CEC the PS3 slim supported. Do the series consoles not have an IR blaster?

Topher

Gold Member
Because a "headphone" might be a chintsy headset largely designed for voice not audio. (often one ear/mono) I believe Xbox still comes with one of these headsets out of the box.

I know on the XBox there was ways to have the headset only play the voices of other users, and not the game audio, with game audio going to your TV/surround system. Sometimes games would target this feature as well and have any sort of "radio chatter" in a single player game go through headset and not speakers.

Ah....I follow. Unfortunately Xbox does not include headset in the box anymore (at least, not in mine). PS5 does have the mic in the controller, but obviously every use case isn't going to be covered as it is.

we sometimes hand off controllers playing stuff like apex legends, doing drinking games or just hang out. games like that basically need you to have good audio, therefore headphones on.

Headphones with friends over.......that's a new one, but ok.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well maybe re-implement feature from X360, which pauses the music when cutscene plays. Pretty ridiculous that they no longer have that.

ZoukGalaxy

and what I am saying is that on PS4 and 5 you don't have the option, you either mute your TV/Speakers or you mute your headphones. you can't output both simultaneously, but you can do both on Xbox.

this feature, while convenient, doesn't really add functionality.

also, stating simple facts is not platform waring, it's stating simple facts.
That's OK to be wrong.

No, saying "still behind" is not a fact, it's a point of view, YOUR point of view. You prefer the Xbox way, that's it.
Mute audio when using a headphone IS actually a functionality. Please stop it, this is childish and getting ridiculous.

Reizo Ryuu

I don't understand, people actually use voice and game audio mixed out of the same audio source? That sounds ridiculously annoying.

What kind of a filthy casual even has speakers connected to their Xbox?

I don't understand, people actually use voice and game audio mixed out of the same audio source? That sounds ridiculously annoying.
Yeah. All your sound coming from one place. Super annoying.

You know what's totally not annoying? Some clown pumping his game audio through his speakers and back into his microphone for everyone in the game/party to enjoy. Totally not annoying. You've really got the system worked out, congratulations gamer!

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Yeah. All your sound coming from one place. Super annoying.
yes, quite

You know what's totally not annoying? Some clown pumping his game audio through his speakers and back into his microphone for everyone in the game/party to enjoy. Totally not annoying. You've really got the system worked out, congratulations gamer!
Cut the snark wise guy, the system's got itself worked out from the start, since you can set mic cut-off threshold on any self respecting platform, there's also push to talk and mute buttons on mics, and if all that fails you can easily mute anyone in any modern game.

The idea of having your game audio mixed in with low quality voices of different volumes, over an inferior sound source is not just ridiculous, it's repugnant.

This is the funniest picture in my head. 5 dudes sitting around watching you play Apex with your turtle beach on still. Strangest friend gaming story I’ve heard all year

I know on the XBox there was ways to have the headset only play the voices of other users, and not the game audio, with game audio going to your TV/surround system. Sometimes games would target this feature as well and have any sort of "radio chatter" in a single player game go through headset and not speakers.

This is a thing on Playstation as well. You could set your chat audio to output on the tv or in your headset. Playstation also let “radio chatter” cone out of the headset or also through the controllers speakers as well

Top Bottom