• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is very unlikely to be able to buy big Japanese studios, claims analyst

A video of a japanese showing a playstation is the fundamental proof of Playstations´s being fundamentally japanese. Lol.
Xbox and Playstation are western products directed to western audiences. The rest is a fairy tale.
The PS5 was designed by Yujin Morisawa...who's not the man in that video as well. Doesn't sound like american.

Do you seriously look at PS5 and think of it as a north american product?

Zeroing

Banned
Because the OG Xbox was awesome and so was the Xbox 360, just because they had one bad generation doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. The 360 era was kind of like the PS4 era where Xbox had most of the exclusive 3rd party deals and so on.

I’d argue the Xbox One wasn’t even all that bad, it was just the initial launch and year 1-2 in the aftermath of said launch that was bad, once Phil took over it started picking up again almost instantly. Other people here will have their opinions but this is mine as an Xbox player since the OG.

That said though, I’m an Online Multiplayer guy personally and Xbox has always been the home of online multiplayer games. People can mock Xbox for its lack of single player story games but I say the same for PlayStation’s lack of MP games in the first party department, 3rd party and the likes of CoD have heavily carried that burden for them for a long time.
It was one long generation and also the Xbox 360 became stale mid life! That’s why I switched!

I wasn’t even mocking the lack of single player games.

I just think that type of loyalty is too much!
I go to whatever console suits me better… I don’t stay because of the past or because thinking the future of that platform will be better one day!

That’s my personal opinion.

JLB

Banned
The PS5 was designed by Yujin Morisawa...who's not the man in that video as well. Doesn't sound like american.

Do you seriously look at PS5 and think of it as a north american product?

Check the org structure of Sony and the nationality of leaders.
Check whether Sony is investing more in western or japanese studios.
Check to which market Sony sent more Playstation units (btw: "Play Station", really japanese name).
Japanese market is mobile oriented, Playstation 5 is a mastodont that barely fits on a regular japanese department.

Playstation at this point is more american than a big mac.

It was one long generation and also the Xbox 360 became stale mid life! That’s why I switched!

I wasn’t even mocking the lack of single player games.

I just think that type of loyalty is too much!
I go to whatever console suits me better… I don’t stay because of the past or because thinking the future of that platform will be better one day!

That’s my personal opinion.
Well I did build my PC and did a lot of gaming on that partly due to how poorly the XB1 was so there was that and I did get the Switch as well so I wasn’t just loyal to Xbox for the sake of it, I was playing other things.

Check to which market Sony sent more Playstation units (btw: "Play Station", really japanese name).
Japanese market is mobile oriented, Playstation 5 is a mastodont that barely fits on a regular japanese department.

Does't erase the fact that PlayStation still has a lot more relevance in Japan than Xbox and it's outselling Xbox every week by 20 to 1.
I was only answering to the guy saying PlayStation was just as american as Xbox. It is not. That's all.

Fbh

If I've learned anything from 15 years on gaming forums it's that whatever "analysts" say, the opposite is just as likely to happen.

Zeroing

Banned
Well I did build my PC and did a lot of gaming on that partly due to how poorly the XB1 was so there was that and I did get the Switch as well so I wasn’t just loyal to Xbox for the sake of it, I was playing other things.
Doesn’t count :)

! There’s people who spend 3 generations using only Xbox! That’s so interesting to understand why!
As someone who used to work on marketing I’m so curious!!!

Doesn’t count :)

! There’s people who spend 3 generations using only Xbox! That’s so interesting to understand why!
As someone who used to work on marketing I’m so curious!!!
I’ve owned all Xbox’s just so you know and just to add, because those main franchises like Halo, Gears, Forza etc are really good although repetitive.

64ednl.jpg

The R&D for playstation consoles happens in Tokyo Japan.

JLB

Banned
Does't erase the fact that PlayStation still has a lot more relevance in Japan than Xbox and it's outselling Xbox every week by 20 to 1.
I was only answering to the guy saying PlayStation was just as american as Xbox. It is not. That's all.

Wow! outselling 20 to 1 Xbox in Japan.
Iphone outsells Xbox 50 to in Japan, I guess Apple is more japanese than Sony then.
Ps and Xbox are equally western products.

Sanepar

Japanese law protect all big publishers from a hostile takeover. Jap gov would allow this only if a big publisher would be in trouble and Sony and Nintendo couldn't buy. They will never let microsoft buy and exclude games from sony and nintendo.

Topher

Gold Member
So what? There is no Japanese influence on the Western Sony PlayStation anymore. They call it the TrashStation in Japan.

So you think a Japanese developer would be just as willing to be acquired by Microsoft or some other completely non-Japanese company than Sony because SIE moved to the US? That's the context here.

So we'll have a 3 console future. I'm fine with that.

MS can still organically grow Tango, or have them open up a 2nd studio if need be. And they can obviously buy some Japanese studios, since Bethesda pulled it off. Probably not a large publisher, but it's not entirely impossible.

I still think SEGA would be most likely. Probably on a Wednesday.

Sony's Playstation division is just as western. So I dont see much advantage to Playstation. Sony Japan could buy a company but they are not Playstation. Sony is weird.
That's completely irrelevant. Your company is either a Japanese company or it isn't. Sony is. Nintendo is. Microsoft isn't.

cHaOs667

Japanese studios/publishers to outsiders.

tumblr-74960fc24bcaa75933764c3434d358dc-0fb5a8bc-540-1.webp
Haha, don't mix up ancient Japanese culture with the current state of Japanese Games industry. And Ghost of Tsushima is a perfect example, as it is developed by western standards from a western studio (Sucker Punch Productions).

JLB

Banned
Why don't you timestamp the part you think is important. Posting a 42 minute video isn't making a point.

Listen to the answer to that question and the next one, and the difference between PS1-3 and 4 moving forward. From the guy that actually was THE boss of Playstation.

Beechos

After 15 years of the same 5 IPs over and over again I’ll say
FINALLY!

The long years of dry are over! It rains and the desert is blooming again!

Joking!
But really now did the diehard Xbox fans hold their loyalty for so long?
Its more of the ecosystem, and quality of life features more than anything for me. Theres 1000's of games to play on every console. Its only the fanboy/console warrior that only worries about those types of things. Theres more than enough 3rd party games avail for one to play and then some. Everyone wants to pound their chests with exclusives for their system but will prob never play them all anyway due to time/money constraints.

Papacheeks

Banned
Playstation is a brand under Sony a Japanese company where headquarters are in....Japan. Playstation may be West focused for it's product lines doesn;t mean it's not Japanese. Means Sony knows where they will sell the most. WHich historically has always been in the west.

There for western parts of that Division will more than likely have a higher amount of control of direction. But they all know Sony and playstation originated in Japan to be sold WW. I don't understand all the dumb console warring.

Playstation was designed and made by Sony Japan, with input from the west.

Topher

Gold Member

Listen to the answer to that question and the next one, and the difference between PS1-3 and 4 moving forward. From the guy that actually was THE boss of Playstation.

Ok? He's is talking about the change from a custom console with exotic technology to more of a standard consumer device. Nintendo did the same thing when they moved to Tegra-based hardware. I'm not sure what point you think you are making.

Last edited:

How's that proof that Sony is an American company now?
No offense but are you dumb?

JLB

Banned
Ok? He's is talking about the change from a custom console with exotic technology to more of a standard consumer device. Nintendo did the same thing when they moved to Tegra-based hardware. I'm not sure what point you think you are making.

The one making the point is actually Jack Tretton, Mr. Topher. He explicitly says that PS1 to 3 was a box design in a centralized way by Japan, and from PS4 they started to shape the console from consumer and third party devs opinions. Now doing a 2 + 2 = 4, where are most of consumers and third party devs of Playstation? Bingo! There you have the answer.

Last edited:
The one making the point is actually Jack Tretton, Mr. Topher. He explicitly says that PS1 to 3 was a box design in a centralized way by Japan, and from PS4 they started to shape the console from consumer and third party devs opinions. Now doing a 2 + 2 = 4, where are most of consumers and third party devs of Playstation? Bingo! There you have the answer.
Because Kutaragi wasn't involved in console development anymore at that point and no way Sony was gonna let him after how much the PS3 cost them.
Making smart decision by asking around third party devs doesn't make it more American or less Japanese.

Top Bottom