• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Is The Official Console Of Battlefield 2042

Bramble

"Developer DICE and publisher Electronic Arts have announced a new Microsoft partnership to make Xbox the official console of Battlefield 2042. This doesn't mean it's exclusive to Xbox, however.

To be specific, the Xbox Series S and Series X are the "official consoles of Battlefield 2042," according to a press release. All three said this was done to "ensure that the next entry in the Battlefield franchise is the best one yet." It's unclear exactly how DICE and EA will take advantage of Xbox Series X|S hardware or what this means for Battlefield 2042 players on other platforms.

DICE and EA announced four other partnerships in preparation for Battlefield 2042's October release: Nvidia (for the "ultimate PC experience"), Logitech (to "ensure players have Logitech integration"), Polaris (to "bring players the opportunity to operate authentic Polaris vehicles in Battlefield 2042"), and WD_BLACK (to ensure "gamers have the best possible gaming experience").

All five partnerships have been seemingly inked to bolster Battlefield 2042's gaming performance across both PC and Xbox consoles. Neither DICE nor EA have outlined if these deals will impact the game on PlayStation consoles, though Battlefield 2042 is launching on PS4 and PS5 this October."

Translation: MS threw a bag of money towards EA and now have the marketing rights. Just like Sony has with CoD. It means absolutely nothing hardware/performance wise.

Both play best on PC!

Nobody cares when you run into cheaters everyday.

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh no, now the trailers won't have a PlayStation logo anymore. Maybe.

200.gif

What an archaic marketing ploy.

DeaDPo0L84

Who said they wouldn't? Pointless post is pointless.
To be fair having marketing exclusive rights of a 3rd party game is pointless as well. People are simply gonna buy the game on the console they already own and where their friends play, these deals mean nothing.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm just against this just as much as I'm against COD partnership with Sony. Lay off the exclusive shit, especially with third party. Cause this affects us PC players. It's kinda one sided, as we'll get the Xbox stuff, but PlayStation stuff is usually locked off from the majority of gamers.
Yeah totally agree. A PlayStation deals means screw everyone, with xbox we at least still get something on pc.

Zeroing

Banned
Battlefield - Xbox
Call of Duty - PlayStation
In the Xbox 360 and PS3 gen it was the opposite... interesting it must mean something....oh yeah COD always jumps to the console with more players. It is pure Marketing. The world is still spinning.

Rolla

Banned
I read that EA isn't trying to pay Playstation their cross play royalties which is why they haven't announced 2042 cross play.

The Alien

Banned
and yet some people on this forum balked at my comment that COD is a Sony partnered game just like how Battlefield is Xbox/MS partnered. 🥴 like it's not even controversial
It isn't controversial. Been like that for quite some time.

Microsoft has a good relationship with EA.
Sony in good with Activision.

MiguelItUp

Honestly, considering Sony has been going for COD's throat with little exclusive things here and there, it just makes sense for Microsoft to do the same with Battlefield. It's a smarter move than doing nothing IMO.

RaZoR No1

Makes sense.
EA and MS have been working together for years.
EA Access /Play was even exclusive on Xbox for years (dont know if Sony was against it or EA just had an agreement with MS)

Kerotan

Battlefield - Xbox
Call of Duty - PlayStation
It's been like this for a long time and Sony got the better deal overall. Even if the next cod is ww2 against the first modern battlefield in years it will still sell similar numbers then next year you're back to cod selling way more as usual.

And Budweiser is the official beer of Major League Baseball, but that won't stop me from drinking it while watching football.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't understand how either benefits from this? Will there be like...tournaments hosted on Xbox alone kinda like how Xbox was the place for COD tourneys some years back, but it's all Sony? Nowadays, influencers have their own tournaments...seemingly weekly and with streaming they tend to draw a comparable audience.

So what is the point of all this?

truth411

I'm just against this just as much as I'm against COD partnership with Sony. Lay off the exclusive shit, especially with third party. Cause this affects us PC players. It's kinda one sided, as we'll get the Xbox stuff, but PlayStation stuff is usually locked off from the majority of gamers.
There literally nothing exclusive here, its a multiplat game which xbox have advertising rights, thats all. Thats why "Partnership" is an incorrect way of describing this. If there was exclusive DLC or something like that then sure, but thats not the case. Partnership would lead to some type of exclusive content, but there isnt any. Advertisement rights =/= Partnership.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah totally agree. A PlayStation deals means screw everyone, with xbox we at least still get something on pc.
Most PlayStation deals have been PC too. Death Stranding, Nioh, etc..

In fact, almost every PS third party console exclusive deal, has a PC version. Even some Sony first party games now.

Marketing deals such as this one aren't any different. I get that you have a hate boner, but my god, man.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
This is how system exclusives look for Cold War on Playstation. Nothing particularly game breaking, we could see similar low impact exclusive features for Battlefield.
  • Extra class loadout slots
  • Extra weapon XP
  • Monthly double XP events
  • Tier skips
  • Zombies Onslaught mode

I play a lot of CoD wasn't even aware of these perks if you will. Basically these partnerships are useless with corss-play and no map packs. (I'm thankful for that.)

Translation: MS threw a bag of money towards EA and now have the marketing rights. Just like Sony has with CoD. It means absolutely nothing hardware/performance wise.
I am guessing EA would have preferred Sony's money because they have a bigger install base but COD beat them too the deal. Battlefield is a multiplatform game so its basically easy money for EA.

Having Battlefield 2042 on Game pass would have been a bigger deal but I don't think that would be possible because EA has EA play.

Call of Duty

Battlefield-Xbox
Call of Duty - (and this was taken last year...install is now over 200g)
Sony really needs to update us on the SSD storage expansion, but 200g is just crazy.

There literally nothing exclusive here, its a multiplat game which xbox have advertising rights, thats all. Thats why "Partnership" is an incorrect way of describing this. If there was exclusive DLC or something like that then sure, but thats not the case. Partnership would lead to some type of exclusive content, but there isnt any. Advertisement rights =/= Partnership.
Didn't COD have an exclusive mode to PlayStation if I'm not mistaken, which wasn't available on PC for instance. Ring a bell? That goes beyond advertising you know...?

ManaByte

If you download 3 different battlefields it will. Having cold war,MS and WZ installed all at once isn’t one game.

Not talking about Warzone or Modern Warfare. Just Cold War (Campaign, MP, Zombies) takes up like 2/3rds of the PS5 SSD. Way way way way way too much.

Top Bottom