• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Is Reportedly 'Heavily Involved' With Big Third Party Studios For Future Exclusives

ANIMAL1975

Less third-party deals and more first party exclusives says Spencer!

two faced change mind GIF by Laurie Rowan

driqe

He's referring to multi-platform games (Destiny) that had exclusive LEVELS AND WEAPONS on the PlayStation that Xbox people didn't have access to.

Moneyhatting pieces of a game that other people don't have access to (Spider-Man in Avengers) is completely bullshit.
They know that, but they will twist words to push their narrative that Phil is some sort of pathological liar lol

Batiman

Banned
Phil finally gained complete access to the MS warchest and is ready to wipe Sony out of existence. Once and for all.

Last edited:

quickwhips

Tell it to sony? Seriously them working with third parties may not be the same as buying exclusivity. They may be paying studios to create something with a franchise they own. Not the same as paying to prevent games appearing on the competition.
I don't want Sony to do it either. Even time exclusives are stupid.

jakinov

This generation gonna break more many companies and their autonomy then some stupid fanboy, if MS will start this bullshit trend. Prepare yourself.
Sony's been contracting third party studios to make them games for decades. Big whoop. Just because they are third-party does not inherently mean all their games are multiplatform and doesn't mean that they have consistent funding to make a game. Developers shop games around all the time or get contracted all the time by publishers.

You assume that those games would have came to other platforms or even been made. There's a bunch of independently owned studios who pitch their games or who are open to being contracted to create games. Before Sony owned Insomniac, they don't pay them a premium to not release games on Xbox; they contract them to make them a game using their resources and expertise. When Media Molecule went to Sony for LBP to get funding and a publishing deal they don't pitch and expect Sony to pay a premium for not releasing on Xbox because Sony has to actually agree to publish them or it goes on 0 platforms (unless of course they had other deals on the table and wanted to leverage that).

ANIMAL1975

He's referring to multi-platform games (Destiny) that had exclusive LEVELS AND WEAPONS on the PlayStation that Xbox people didn't have access to.

Moneyhatting pieces of a game that other people don't have access to (Spider-Man in Avengers) is completely bullshit.
Always the same excuse like clockwise

Greeno

I don't see why people are arguing about this. This seems to be similar in case to Bloodborne, Returnal, and Sunset Overdrive. Where a third party studio is funded and helped to develop a video game. It seems to me this is a thing that is related to Microsoft's publishing arm.

jakinov

Always the same excuse like clockwise

Firstly, it's not even an excuse, you just read something out of context doubling down.

You also just don't understand that there's more to working with 3rd-party studios than arbitrarily giving them cash and saying don't release on PlayStation. Some 3rd parties accept any work they can get. While some have a game in mind and NEED a publisher in order to actually make their game and if Microsoft or whoever is the first or only one to say yes; then they are probably going to make a deal.

All third-party means is that it's a studio they essentially don't own, you are making the assumption that means that they are "Paying marketing funds so another consoles base can't play a piece of content ". When it could easily just be a developer who needs a publisher. Which happens all the time. And not a developer already contracted with a publisher who they payed off to exclude other platforms.

I generally won’t buy timed exclusives until they are heavily discounted - I don’t like the practise.

I will say though, when Sony pulled that dick move with the Avengers game (although that backfired a bit lol) you can’t blame Microsoft for taking the gloves off. Phil Spencer should make a pact with Jim Ryan to both stop doing it. Until then, game on and we know who has the bigger wallet here.

But then we wouldn’t have had the great comedy of Sony trying to buy Starfield timed exclusivity and Microsoft buying the whole damn company :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hatsuma

Don't see the issue with this. Fairly recently it was discovered that Sony invested 300+ million last year for development of 2nd party games. Microsoft replying in kind is awesome and great for competition and content.

As for 3rd party timed exclusives, all they are for is making one platform more enticing than the other and starving the audience on the opposing platform of content as well as having exclusive content for the game. Literally the strategy has been a seesaw. Started with ps1, continued with ps4/ps5.

EDIT: I was unaware the timed exclusivity practice truly started that far back. But the point I surmise of the strategy is unchanged. I made changes to reflect

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Don't see the issue with this. Fairly recently it was discovered that Sony invested 300+ million last year for development of 2nd party games. Microsoft replying in kind is awesome and great for competition and content.

As for 3rd party timed exclusives, all they are for is making one platform more enticing than the other and starving the audience on the opposing platform of content as well as having exclusive content for the game. Literally the strategy has been a seesaw. Started with 360, continued with ps4/ps5. Sony learned and i s maintaining the strategy.
It started before the 360. Sony didn’t learn it, they started it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Phil Spencer should make a pact with Jim Ryan to both stop doing it.

This predates Ryan. Sony had a policy for third parties in the PS3 days that if a game wouldn't release first on the PlayStation they needed to give it something exclusive over Xbox. That's how the Destiny situation came about.

It started before the 360.

Started before even then when Sony paid for Tomb Raider exclusivity.

Last edited:

Flintty

Rumor has it that this is not a money hat, but rather a new IP / partnership title. We shall see I guess.
I’m ok with that. Just not paying to keep games from other platforms.

E.g. MS paying to keep Tomb Raider on X1 for a year = bad. Sony paying to keep Destiny 2 dungeons and weapons exclusive to PS4 for ages = bad. Sony attempting to lock in Starfield = bad. You get my drift.

Completely different if either MS or Sony make a deal to bring a game to their console that wouldn’t have otherwise been made (e.g. Street Fighter or Sunset Iverdrive).

Hatsuma

It started before the 360. Sony didn’t learn it, they started it.

Wow, I was unaware it went that far back. We're there more? I didn't know they did it with GTA 3 and Tom Raider. They were really starving n64 and original Xbox despite having such a market strangle hold.

Last edited:
By the end of this generation Sony will be left with Spider-Man and Final Fantasy, Xbox will be where you want to be if you want top quality gaming.

If I were you I'd bury that Dualshock controller in the back garden and jump into the Xbox ecosystem RIGHT NOW because it is going to be one hell of a ride
Did you forget the /s

longdi

Banned
I like this idea, it feels like a return to the xbox 360. Back when they were really competitive until Ballmer messed things up.

Phil finally gained complete access to the MS warchest and is ready to wipe Sony out of existence. Once and for all.

yap that's what i been saying. a fresh gen start allows Phil to shape his own future. the time of mopping up his predecessor mess is over.

forward together we go as Xbox attention turns to core gamers led strategy.

This generation is gonna break some people.
Yeah but I don’t think it’s the side you think it is which is why every little throw away comment is made into a thread here. I mean in the real world all the talk you hear is about ps5 this or ps5 that like barely anyone is talking about the series x.

Last edited:
No it doesn't.

Microsoft tripled the size of their first party studios over the last 3 years.

That's never happened in the history of console gaming.

Microsoft embraced the PC market by setting the policy of Xbox+PC day and date.

That's literally never happened in the history of console gaming.

Not only does this not happen "at the start of every generation", it's completely unprecedented. The next few years are going to be rough for some of you.
Lol man fanboys like you are wild. I bet you think Sony is going to lose this gen and go out of business too huh? Get real and get back at me when Xbox has any of the public’s mindshare and not just hardcore fanboys on a internet message board. Seriously nobody talks about the series x in reality not consumers,actors,radio personalities,sportscasters etc. It’s all about I can’t find a ps5 or I need a ps5 for my kid and just like the sales are showing this early into the gen Sony is going to continue being ahead of MS like they have been every gen since since Xbox entered gaming.

PhaseJump

Banned
Best weeb timeline: Xbox hiring Media.Vision to build a new JRPG franchise, Sega is funded to revive Dragon Force, GungHo is porting Lunar & Grandia. Falcom is porting their entire back catalogue. New Ys and Xanadu games on Xbox. Iga has ArtPlay making a AAA Bloodstained to rival Castlevania. Final Fantasy XIV shows up.

Worst weeb timeline: Xbox is paying for the next generic not-Tales Bamco JRPG nobody cares about. Itagaki is on their payroll and is putting strippers through college with Microsoft money, Hajime Tabata is put in charge of everything at Xbox and all game projects there turn into convoluted shit, with the only successful game being Pokemon Snap clone featuring open world environments and emo kids in a flying car. Phantom Dust gets more money for some reason.

Hezekiah

Banned
I never understood this.

We've all heard MS fanboys or marketing say "Next year's our year", but we always coupled that with our knowledge of the market and Microsofts investment. Or at least we should have.

Microsoft operated most of last generation with 7 game studios. They also were always primed to lag behind Sony in terms of marketshare.

Now they're operating with 23 studios and they're telling third parties "Sign a deal with us and you can release on PC+console day and date". That's waaaaaay more attractive to third parties than supporting a console that had half the user base of PS4.

No one ever took MS seriously when they were hyping the future of XBox. Now you can't help but take them seriously.
Yes because releasing on Xbox and PC day and date has so much for third-party game sales up to this point.

I'm sure they'll also be delighted to see their new games compete with a GamePass library that will padded out with as much content as possible aswell.

Lol man fanboys like you are wild. I bet you think Sony is going to lose this gen and go out of business too huh? Get real and get back at me when Xbox has any of the public’s mindshare and not just hardcore fanboys on a internet message board. Seriously nobody talks about the series x in reality not consumers,actors,radio personalities,sportscasters etc. It’s all about I can’t find a ps5 or I need a ps5 for my kid and just like the sales are showing this early into the gen Sony is going to continue being ahead of MS like they have been every gen since since Xbox entered gaming.
He has been doing that in a number of threads. I explained to him several times to wait and see how this all pans out because the way he's going around is like he's seen the future.
No one can deny Xbox is investing heavily into 1st party but Investing in studios is one thing. Having them churn out compelling content 'consistently' is another thing.

Kagey K

Banned
Seems to me it’s more like they are reinvesting their monthly income from Gamepass.

They are getting to the point that they don’t have to go out of pocket and can use the monthly revenue to invest in other stuff, while pocketing a small amount risk free.

it’s like Kickstarter on a commercial level.

Kagey K

Banned
Meanwhile Jim Ryan does nothing but takes more features away from PS5. Good job
It’s a new generation and he believes in them (generations)

When he adds the same features back in a couple years, you can thank him for doing it. 😅

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
On PS4? Practically the exclusive deals were based on that. Saving costs in exchange of exclusivity.
It seems like you're ok with this arrangement for Sony to make 3rd party games exclusive and sounds like you don't have any problem with all the Sony moneyhats? So I'm guessing what's getting you so enraged is the suggestion that Xbox might possibly do some of the same shit Sony does?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Seems to me it’s more like they are reinvesting their monthly income from Gamepass.

They are getting to the point that they don’t have to go out of pocket and can use the monthly revenue to invest in other stuff, while pocketing a small amount risk free.

it’s like Kickstarter on a commercial level.
I doubt it's that. I don't think Gamepass would be making them any income as of now -- considering MS adds so many games there regularly.

Kagey K

Banned
I doubt it's that. I don't think Gamepass would be making them any income as of now -- considering MS adds so many games there regularly.
How much do you think those games cost and what do you suppose thier monthly revenue is from 18mil subscribers?

Remember when Greenberg said it wasn’t very profitable it was at 10 mil, they have almost doubled that, back then not very profitable meant they made some money.

What do you suppose they make now? Or is it still “not very profitable?”

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
How much do you think those games cost and what do you suppose thier monthly revenue is from 18mil subscribers?

Remember when Greenberg said it wasn’t very profitable it was at 10 mil, they have almost doubled that, back then not very profitable meant they made some money.

What do you suppose they make now? Or is it still “not very profitable?”
We'd need hard numbers to say anything for certain. that's why I said 'I doubt it'.

Out of 18 million subscribers, I suspect majority wouldn't be paying $15 per month. The quality of games on GP have been increasing consistently. So my assumption is that MS has been funneling the revenue back to GP for increasing the quality of games and overall value to retain and increase subscriber base (which has been working so far, considering the quick jump from 15mil to 18mil subscribers in a short span).

My only doubt is that it is generating enough income (net profit) to funnel that money on external development costs, which can be quite expensive. If anything, MS would use that income (if there is a substantial amount available), to increase GP value further and strike contracts, e.g., to bring Ubisoft games to Gamepass.

graywolf323

Gold Member
He has been doing that in a number of threads. I explained to him several times to wait and see how this all pans out because the way he's going around is like he's seen the future.
No one can deny Xbox is investing heavily into 1st party but Investing in studios is one thing. Having them churn out compelling content 'consistently' is another thing.
I'd agree with this, I'm the most optimistic I've been in a long time for the future of Xbox first party but let's not pretend Xbox hasn't struggled to manage their studios in the past and that goes as far back as when Spencer himself was the head of first party studios (so for over a decade now)

Kagey K

Banned
We'd need hard numbers to say anything for certain. that's why I said 'I doubt it'.

Out of 18 million subscribers, I suspect majority wouldn't be paying $15 per month. The quality of games on GP have been increasing consistently. So my assumption is that MS has been funneling the revenue back to GP for increasing the quality of games and overall value to retain and increase subscriber base (which has been working so far, considering the quick jump from 15mil to 18mil subscribers in a short span).

My only doubt is that it is generating enough income (net profit) to funnel that money on external development costs, which can be quite expensive. If anything, MS would use that income (if there is a substantial amount available), to increase GP value further and strike contracts, e.g., to bring Ubisoft games to Gamepass.
Let’s say you are right, let’s say they had internal cost expectations and are finding them from their own internal money. Then that frees up even more Gamepass money for 3rd party games.

This is all extra money (or found money) that they didn’t use to have. They are taking the pressure off of internal studios trying to sell 1 game and putting it on the ecosystem as a whole.

If Sea of Thieves was a Sony game it would already be shut down, but with MS it started generating a healthy income long into the games life.

Calls dude a fanboy, then proceeds to be a fanboy. You're literally bragging for one company against another based on how many products they sell you, it's hella cringe. Terrible post. 2021 and we STILL console warring.

jonah hill no GIF

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
No it doesn't.

Microsoft tripled the size of their first party studios over the last 3 years.

That's never happened in the history of console gaming.

Microsoft embraced the PC market by setting the policy of Xbox+PC day and date.

That's literally never happened in the history of console gaming.

Not only does this not happen "at the start of every generation", it's completely unprecedented. The next few years are going to be rough for some of you.
Will it be rough if PS5 has a library of great games like every PS console before it?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
None of the above is a guarantee for success over their chief competitors.

BOLDED: This is also what all Xbox fans always say at the start of a new generation so LOL for that.

But in all honesty, you guys never learn. Just adopt a 'wait and see' approach. You'll look less like an idiot when things don't pan out how you hoped it would. There really is no need to be prematurely chest thumping all over the forum.

Xbox is making great moves no doubt but I'm sick and tired of the 'wait and see' and that's all we can go on for at the moment. Promise. Just like the start of every other generation :)
This. For some reason we get the same doom and gloom predictions for playstation like they some how won't survive another generation, even though they're the industry leaders in most generations... it's weird

Top Bottom