• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Is Reportedly 'Heavily Involved' With Big Third Party Studios For Future Exclusives

assurdum

Banned
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF
Stephen King Laughing GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I never understood this.

We've all heard MS fanboys or marketing say "Next year's our year", but we always coupled that with our knowledge of the market and Microsofts investment. Or at least we should have.

Microsoft operated most of last generation with 7 game studios. They also were always primed to lag behind Sony in terms of marketshare.

Now they're operating with 23 studios and they're telling third parties "Sign a deal with us and you can release on PC+console day and date". That's waaaaaay more attractive to third parties than supporting a console that had half the user base of PS4.

No one ever took MS seriously when they were hyping the future of XBox. Now you can't help but take them seriously.
Have MS gotten better with their offerings, yes but you can never count out the strong brand of PS. PS still has the mindshare and they will also be releasing great games

mortal

Gold Member
This generation is gonna break some people.
I don't know why though. It's the same practices we've been seeing since like forever.
1st party publishers acquiring studios and making exclusivity deals with 3rd party developers. None of this is unprecedented.
If you're a hardcore fanboy maybe it will , but I can't imagine most people will care in the long term so long as the games are good.

Sony does buys 3rd party exclusive for 6/12 months, Sony fanboys "Look at all the exclusives we have, PlayStation is the best place to play games". Xbox does same thing Sony fanboys proceed to act like they haven't been cheerleading their plastic box while saying people move goal posts.

Well, timed exclusives are nothing compared to whole damn publisher acquisition which IPs are well known multiplatform games for decades.

assurdum

Banned
I don't know why though. It's the same practices we've been seeing since like forever.
1st party publishers acquiring studios and making exclusivity deals with 3rd party developers. None of this is unprecedented.

If you're a hardcore fanboy maybe it will , but I can't imagine most people will care in the long term so long as the games are good.
Like when? 20 years ago?

assurdum

Banned
That is literally what he said but yet here you are crying
I literally said it from the beginning. If it means buy exclusive that's an horrible practice. Maybe I touched too much your favourite company and it hurt you?

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Exclusive third parties games was a thing of the PSX/PS2 era
Right. As well as the PS3 /360/ Wii era, and last gen as well.

So it's not exactly a huge deal unless you're a die hard fanboy I'd imagine. Even then, it seems like a choice at that point.
Wait 2-3 years after launch, to pick up another console at a cheaper price or on sale. At that point they'll be even more 1st party titles available to play.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
If are timed exclusive are worthless and disgusting I will always condemn both Sony and Ms for this crap deals that literally ruin the industry. I hope instead that they are games (new ip) developed by 3rd party for Microsoft. Anyway this e3 will be literally monstrous for Ms, between old studios, new studios, all of Bethesda and third parties.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Right.

So it's not exactly a huge deal unless you're a die hard fanboy I'd imagine. Even then, it seems like a choice at that point.
Wait 2-3 years after launch, to pick up another console at a cheaper price or on sale. At that point they'll be even more 1st party titles available to play.
I don't know what's your thought about it but I'd like to have the idea to have chosen my favourite platform for my tastes and not because a company started to buy all the industry. Now I'm not saying it's the case, but see MS leans to a similar attitude not give me a good feeling. What it's more annoying it's to see the idiocy of someone which have no clue how such stuff end in the long perspective, thinking it was a good thing what it's happened to Zenimax. It's not and we will see it in the next decade, maybe less. Hope to be wrong

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, baby!!! The more the better. Even though I would prefer Microsoft pay for games to go on Game Pass day one instead of timed exclusivity as it's better for me. Either way, this generation will be the best Xbox generation thus far and better than the previous three combined!!! Xbox baby!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
These are the same rumors we're hearing about Sony buying up a lot of content. Judging by the timed exclusive deals already it seems true

Final Fantasy XVI
Project Athia
Kena
Oddworld
Ghost Wire Tokyo
Deathloop

mortal

Gold Member
I don't know what's your thought about it but I'd like to have the idea to have chosen my favourite platform for my tastes and not because a company started to buy all the industry. Now I'm not saying it's the case, but see MS starts with such attitude not give to me a good feeling.
but that agency isn't being taken from you as a consumer. 1st party publishers have always done this to some extent.
If a 1st party publisher has curated a catalogue of titles that appeal to you, then that seems like enough incentive to buy their platform or subscribe to their service(s), imo
So long as the product or service being provided is of high quality.

I'm of the belief this is good for the industry as this will breed competition between 1st party publishers.
Ideally I'd rather see Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo foster and assemble new studios from scratch, more often than not.
Although I also understand that it sometimes makes more financial sense to acquire reputable IPs and studios.

I just hope this ultimately leads to better games and developers creating under proper, suitable working conditions as well.
We'll just to wait and see.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
but that agency isn't being taken from you as a consumer. 1st party publishers have always done this to some extent.
If a 1st party publisher has curated a catalogue of titles that appeal to you, then that seems like enough incentive to buy their platform or subscribe to their service(s), imo
So long as the product or service being provided is of high quality.

I'm of the belief this is good for the industry as well as this will breed competition between 1st party publishers.
Ideally I'd rather see Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo foster and assemble new studios from scratch, more of then than not.
Although I also understand that it sometimes makes more finical sense to acquire reputable IPs and studios.

I just hope this ultimately leads to better games and developers creating under proper, suitable working conditions as well.
We'll just to wait and see.
Man we have to have a long conversation there. I want to be very drastic: did you missed the series X launch? Tools unfinished, no exclusive, overhype power stuff, Halo delayed and what else? Now a company which in the past has never showed great skill to handle their software house and their exclusives (and not seems it's changed by much), now buy Zenimax, a multitude of software house and make third parties deals with AAA. It's not because they have gamepass they are became suddenly the master of the videogames industry management. If I can say it seems they want to load a gun with a cannon bullet. Hope it not explode in their face because from now seems they haven't a clue of what they did and just spill out money everywhere.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yeah this happens at the start of every new generation lol.

I swear it's like some of you have started gaming just yesterday.

No it doesn't.

Microsoft tripled the size of their first party studios over the last 3 years.

That's never happened in the history of console gaming.

Microsoft embraced the PC market by setting the policy of Xbox+PC day and date.

That's literally never happened in the history of console gaming.

Not only does this not happen "at the start of every generation", it's completely unprecedented. The next few years are going to be rough for some of you.

Last edited:

IDappa

Well, timed exclusives are nothing compared to whole damn publisher acquisition which IPs are well known multiplatform games for years

I see buying a Devs different to moneyhatting a game that was meant for multiple platforms. I always state this but it doesn't affect me in the slightest, I have owned everything multiple gens gens now and I am waiting on my PS5 so I will play whatever Sony releases and the same with Xbox.

I just find the double standards infuriating especially from people such as yourself. You'll turn a blind eye to the two exclusives Sony moneyhatted from Bethesda and yet still say Microsoft bad because this Dev has been multiplat for decades. Even though they have always worked closely with Microsoft.

No it doesn't.

Microsoft tripled the size of their first party studios over the last 3 years.

That's never happened in the history of console gaming.

Microsoft embraced the PC market by setting the policy of Xbox+PC day and date.

That's literally never happened in the history of console gaming.

Not only does this not happen "at the start of every generation", it's completely unprecedented. The next few years are going to be rough for some of you.
None of the above is a guarantee for success over their chief competitors.

BOLDED: This is also what all Xbox fans always say at the start of a new generation so LOL for that.

But in all honesty, you guys never learn. Just adopt a 'wait and see' approach. You'll look less like an idiot when things don't pan out how you hoped it would. There really is no need to be prematurely chest thumping all over the forum.

Xbox is making great moves no doubt but I'm sick and tired of the 'wait and see' and that's all we can go on for at the moment. Promise. Just like the start of every other generation :)

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Sony has been in a spending spree, sad to see more games taking away from others, I don't enjoy them more for sure.

Exclusives should come from 1st party studios & that's it.

Sony has been the worst in this regard for sure but now Microsoft does it & it's OK 🤣
It's not ok. But for every action there is a reaction and you can't expect corporations to be bastians of ethics and morality.

VAL0R

Banned
I was 100% OK with Sony acquiring whoever they wish and their landing 3rd party timed deals, and I'm 100% OK with MS doing it. I'm happier when MS does it, as an Xbox owner and GP sub. I was bummed when, Street Fighter, for example, was PS exclusive. I thought, "this stinks for me," maybe. But never did I think, "this is wrong!" It's business. We are talking about games, mere entertainment, not bread and electricity.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Do people ignore the fact that the Xbox has some timed-exclusive games? What about STALKER, Warhammer, Scorn, The Medium, ExoMecha etc etc?

MonarchJT

Banned
Even that can be argued that if MS (or Sony) left that third-party studio alone, it would have made a multiplatform game available everywhere.

I think day-1 GP availability is the best option here for MS, and this also aligns with MS's goals to increase their subscriber base.
it depends on what Sony does. If Sony continues trying to leave Xbox players out with this timed exclusives idiocy or paying to never let the game arrive to Xbox. Ms has every motivation to become even more predatory and use its resources to respond to Sony. It's sad to say but they doijg the right thing because what Sony is doing with games like final fantasy is unequivocally a crap

Last edited:

jakinov

So third party exclusives good again?

3rd party exclusives...yeah, once again this IMO is the best outcome for everyone.
Third party exclusive doesn’t necessary mean deliberately denying a game that already coming to a platform from not going there. You can go to an outside company for their expertise, reputation and resources and be like here’s $50 million make me this game for this platform (or the opposite can happen where the developer pitches their game) It’s the equivalent of Sony going to Insomniac before they acquired them and saying hey make me Resistance or Rachet and Clank game. It’s especially common when the studios are independently owned and don’t have a publisher backing every project. Every major publisher (including game console owners) works with third party studios. Most of the studios Sony now owns come from either Sony contracting them for a new project or them pitching their project; and Sony acquiring them eventually.

oldergamer

Third party exclusives are dumb. Just buy the studio or leave them for all.

Tell it to sony? Seriously them working with third parties may not be the same as buying exclusivity. They may be paying studios to create something with a franchise they own. Not the same as paying to prevent games appearing on the competition.

Top Bottom