• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Is Reportedly 'Heavily Involved' With Big Third Party Studios For Future Exclusives

dcmk7

Banned
You would be surprised. And some ppl actually use Insomniac as a counterpoint when talking about the Zenimax deal.

I just want consistency. If its ok when A does it, it should be ok when B does it. We went from huge threads about timed exclusives being anti consumer to buying entire publishers being fine. One of these things is not like the other.

preach john stamos GIF by Fuller House

Shmunter

Not if MS is paying for the development of the game. The devs lose nothing by being exclusive to Xbox because they had to pay little or nothing to create the game.
Not so black and white, a 3rd party company doesn’t care for funding if they can get 4x return on their investment in the first place. It’s all factored in.

Not so black and white, a 3rd party company doesn’t care for funding if they can get 4x return on their investment in the first place. It’s all factored in.
They wouldn't agree to any deal with MS if they didn't think they could get the same amount of returns. Pretty easy logic.

oldergamer

He's just being his fanboy self. What he;s saying is because games sell 3-4 times more on Playstaytion than Xbox (no idea if that is true, probably not), studios will be charging Microsft 3-4 times as much money for Microsoft to buy them.
Then hinting that Sony could probably of got Bethesda for 3-4 times cheaper lol. Fanboy nonsense.
It's not true and has never been the case. If you are talking exclusives on one platform to the next, yeah those have sold better for sony. However for third parties games do NOT typically sell better, at least not to the extent you would expect from such a large console user base.

I've said in the past that MS has always been good at selling games to its user base, and imo people on xbox tend to purchase more games ( I haven't seen attach rate numbers in a while but I recall it being high decent). When you reach a critical mass, attach rate becomes more important then consoles sold.

Shmunter

They wouldn't agree to any deal with MS if they didn't think they could get the same amount of returns. Pretty easy logic.
That’s why the agreement costs whatever $$$. Profit/loss and whatever residual value it represents to e.g MS to make it worth it through gamepass or console sales. Etc

Kimahri

Banned
Not a fan of third party exclusives at all, but the worst is the timed exclusives and exclusive content. Games that come to one platform exclusively and never anywhere else I'm okay with, but when you ha e to wait a year or so or get left out of stuff? Fuck that.

That’s why the agreement costs whatever $$$. Profit/loss and whatever residual value it represents to e.g MS to make it worth it through gamepass or console sales. Etc
That makes no sense. You think these studios have the leverage to get Microsoft to pay for all development costs, cover marketing expenses, and then pay a premium on top of that just for the hell of it? LOL

Last edited:

Shmunter

That makes no sense. You think these studios have the leverage to get Microsoft to pay for all development costs, cover marketing expenses, and then pay a premium on top of that just for the hell of it? LOL
Cost/benefit to all parties. If it doesn’t meet, there is no deal.

3rd parties won’t sign deals if they lose out, why would they. Not sure why such simple concepts are so complicated to grasp.

Anyway, this kindy level of talk is making me sleepy. Have fun.

Well, in my post I also said "They are giving pc players reasons to just stay on pc."

I was talking about people already being a PC player.

As someone already on pc there's no reason to buy other than switch really.
Yeah I wasn't arguing with you but thanks for clarifying, I guess.

The video thumbnail makes it look like the guy on the left is offering you a jar of pickle juice or possibly his piss.

On-topic, I don't doubt it. It's like a corporate equivalent of some kind of gambling addiction. They won't stop until either the money dries up or enough concerned individuals sit Phil down for an intervention.

Last edited:
So let me get this right as well. There will be 2 new AAA game every 2-4 mouths that's how you make game pass a unbeatable service. Sony will not be able to match that out put. Well looks like they will be back to selling buildings agin.

So let me get this right as well. There will be 2 new AAA game every 2-4 mouths that's how you make game pass a unbeatable service. Sony will not be able to match that out put. Well looks like they will be back to selling buildings agin.

What? AAA every 2-4 months? That's REACHING. You'll get 2-4 AA's or A's in that time frame, but not AAA. Those take YEARS to make, especially if you want them to actually be critically acclaimed by both critics and players. What you're describing is shovelware.

onesvenus

What? AAA every 2-4 months? That's REACHING. You'll get 2-4 AA's or A's in that time frame, but not AAA. Those take YEARS to make, especially if you want them to actually be critically acclaimed by both critics and players. What you're describing is shovelware.
Not saying it will happen, it's highly unlikely IMO. Having said that, Xbox Game Studios has 23 teams now. An AAA every two months are 6 games a year, that means that a developer can release a game and then spend 4 years more until they have to release again.

Gatox

Banned
So Microsoft is pulling a Sony? I don't like this.

If they 100% fund development like Bloodborne etc, I'm fine with that. Timed exclusives? No

High chance this Avalanche btw.
The way i read the report it is development funding rather than timed exclusives.

Not saying it will happen, it's highly unlikely IMO. Having said that, Xbox Game Studios has 23 teams now. An AAA every two months are 6 games a year, that means that a developer can release a game and then spend 4 years more until they have to release again.
If they INCREASE work force significantly in every studio to releasing high caliber games at that pace.

Still very highly unlikely. Racing games, sports games, sure, but others like some big RPGs and shooters, or action adventure games.... . Halo Infinite is a 6 years in a production and more than 500 people are working it.

Barakov

Good to see they're actually being competitive again. That's how you get people to buy the box you put out.

PhaseJump

Banned
Inb4 Xbox pays Sega millions to develop Shinobi X and they are suddenly caught off guard with getting a remastered Saturn game with European style slowdown locked in.

IDappa

Sony does buys 3rd party exclusive for 6/12 months, Sony fanboys "Look at all the exclusives we have, PlayStation is the best place to play games". Xbox does same thing Sony fanboys proceed to act like they haven't been cheerleading their plastic box while saying people move goal posts. Get over yourselves, atleast be consistent.

Over all I think this is shit and would prefer there be no moneyhatted exclusives but of people are going to continue to accept it for one side than shits gonna keep happening.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard this in the last 2 decades. Sony will be right there competing with MS

I never understood this.

We've all heard MS fanboys or marketing say "Next year's our year", but we always coupled that with our knowledge of the market and Microsofts investment. Or at least we should have.

Microsoft operated most of last generation with 7 game studios. They also were always primed to lag behind Sony in terms of marketshare.

Now they're operating with 23 studios and they're telling third parties "Sign a deal with us and you can release on PC+console day and date". That's waaaaaay more attractive to third parties than supporting a console that had half the user base of PS4.

No one ever took MS seriously when they were hyping the future of XBox. Now you can't help but take them seriously.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Hope third parties will go to fuck off MS. I'm fine if they are funded games not possible without their money. Otherwise hope they fail miserably.

PhaseJump

Banned
I never understood this.

We've all heard MS fanboys or marketing say "Next year's our year", but we always coupled that with our knowledge of the market and Microsofts investment. Or at least we should have.

Microsoft operated most of last generation with 7 game studios. They also were always primed to lag behind Sony in terms of marketshare.

Now they're operating with 23 studios and they're telling third parties "Sign a deal with us and you can release on PC+console day and date."

No one ever took MS seriously when they were hyping the future of XBox. Now you can't help but take them seriously.

I will take Microsoft seriously when they buy Sanrio and make Hello Kitty the new Xbox mascot.

Checkmate, Sony.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
No one on this thread seems to get that this is not Microsoft moneyhatting games that were already in the making and making them exclusive for a limited period of time.

This is Microsoft hiring third-party studios to develop entirely new titles for their platforms.
This.

Buying a 3rd party exclusive has always been a thing. Not sure what's changed now.

Well, I can hazard a guess...

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
But when MS buys Zenimax and other publishers is good for the industry but when PS buys Insomnic is a evil plan for the industry.
No one complained about insomniac at all. I’d be surprised if there were more then 2-3 people complaining. Dead serious

Top Bottom