• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Is Reportedly 'Heavily Involved' With Big Third Party Studios For Future Exclusives

Gargauth

But weren't exclusives anti consumer? 🤣
In my opinion it is only anticonsumer if those exclusives put up barrier to entry. With Xbox it's nothing like Playstation exclusives. Even if you dont own Xbox Series X, or cheaper X, or a PC, you can still play those exclusives through xCloud without any investment.
With Playstation exclusives you have to commit $400-$500 if you are interested in one exclusive game. And that makes it somewhat anticonsumer.

dcmk7

Banned
I'm awaiting the massive goalpost to start moving.

They are only good when you buy a whole ass publisher. Anything else is.....far worse.....

Animated GIF

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
In my opinion it is only anticonsumer if those exclusives put up barrier to entry. With Xbox it's nothing like Playstation exclusives. Even if you dont own Xbox Series X, or cheaper X, or a PC, you can still play those exclusives through xCloud without any investment.
With Playstation exclusives you have to commit $400-$500 if you are interested in one exclusive game. And that makes it somewhat anticonsumer.
I don't think it is guaranteed that third party exclusives would be available via xcloud, or even Gamepass for that matter. It could be like many of the Sony deals where they are just console exclusive and still available on PC.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I have literally never heard a single person complain about Sony Buying Insomniac. I heard a few be sad that there would be no sunset overdrive 2, but most people wondered why the deal took so long.
You would be surprised. And some ppl actually use Insomniac as a counterpoint when talking about the Zenimax deal.

I just want consistency. If its ok when A does it, it should be ok when B does it. We went from huge threads about timed exclusives being anti consumer to buying entire publishers being fine. One of these things is not like the other.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There's a real story here and it isn't "Hypocrite fanboys said one thing, now they're saying the other thing!"

It's that MS is pushing a ton of chips into gaming. They're becoming a monster in this space.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I totally get your point,. Sony trying to moneyhat everything in sight is absolutely disgusting. I would prefer not to see Xbox follow the same disgusting path.

Either buy the damn 3rd party studio, develop a new exclusive game with a 3rd party that wouldn't get made otherwise or get it day 1 on Game Pass but leave it available on other platforms.
Even that can be argued that if MS (or Sony) left that third-party studio alone, it would have made a multiplatform game available everywhere.

I think day-1 GP availability is the best option here for MS, and this also aligns with MS's goals to increase their subscriber base.

Even that can be argued that if MS (or Sony) left that third-party studio alone, it would have made a multiplatform game available everywhere.
Not if no other publisher is interested, or gives them a shitty deal, won't let them keep their IP, etc etc. Could also be that they were approached by MS for a title since all their devs are busy right now.

Not even gonna bother responding to that last bit, it's most certainly not in their best interest to go GP only. They need GP exclusives, just like Phil explained.

Vestal

Gold Member
I will wait to see what this actually means....my gut feeling is this is not actual exclusivity deals but rather day and date release on to Gamepass exclusivity like we just saw happen w/ Outriders. No goal posts moved just a smart move to pound home the value of Gamepass.
This right here. This is what it means IMO. Not platform exclusive, but you don't have to drop 60 bucks to play a Major 3rd Party game on Xbox.

This is bullshit, I will play on PC but console 3rd party-exclusives were never a good thing in my eyes, especially nowadays with the advent of crossplay between multiple platforms. Idk, it seems silly, but more power to the one who has the money.

fermcr

Microsoft might not like it, but 3rd party exclusives are important.
Sony and Nintendo have 3rd party exclusives... Microsoft have to do the same to compete.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah i dont really remember anyone saying anyhting overly salty about Insomniac when Sony bought them on here. They only made 1 Xbox game, and it wasnt very good (imo of course).
It was a decent game, i kinda liked it but it wasn’t titanfall which dominated in the early days

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not everyone has a gaming PC or wants one, people always seem to forget that.
Well, in my post I also said "They are giving pc players reasons to just stay on pc."

I was talking about people already being a PC player.

As someone already on pc there's no reason to buy other than switch really.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Soon as I hear "incredibly impressive" followed up by "years out" I have to smile and shake my head.

Anybody remember when Anthem was both incredibly impressive and years out? ;)

Last edited:
By the end of this generation Sony will be left with Spider-Man and Final Fantasy, Xbox will be where you want to be if you want top quality gaming.

If I were you I'd bury that Dualshock controller in the back garden and jump into the Xbox ecosystem RIGHT NOW because it is going to be one hell of a ride

Perrott

Gold Member
This is bullshit, I will play on PC but console 3rd party-exclusives were never a good thing in my eyes, especially nowadays with the advent of crossplay between multiple platforms. Idk, it seems silly, but more power to the one who has the money.
No one on this thread seems to get that this is not Microsoft moneyhatting games that were already in the making and making them exclusive for a limited period of time.

This is Microsoft hiring third-party studios to develop entirely new titles for their platforms.

Perrott

Gold Member
By the end of this generation Sony will be left with Spider-Man and Final Fantasy, Xbox will be where you want to be if you want top quality gaming.

If I were you I'd bury that Dualshock controller in the back garden and jump into the Xbox ecosystem RIGHT NOW because it is going to be one hell of a ride
Yeah... whatever you say dude.

The fact the media lambasted Sony for this and don't do likewise for MS proves how many journalists are on the MS wage bill. It was an embarrassing sherade.

Since when has the media taken Sony to task about moneyhats? Damn I must have missed that. You’ll always have small amounts of one off articles or videos from media outlets criticizing this shit but in terms of general media backlash or “lambasting”, fuck no, Sony hasn’t seen anything remotely close to that.

This year they have Kena, Deathloop and Ghostwire timed exclusive, among others. No one cares. They got an exclusive character in a shitty comic book game that is starved for content and no one gave a shit. In fact, some in the media applauded that one. Last gen they had that disgusting Destiny shit where you had timed exclusive content inside of DLC that other platforms never got to properly experience.

Lots in the media regarded the FF7 remake as the biggest game in decades yet no one flinched when it was revealed as a PS4 timed exclusive. Now it gets PS5 timed exclusive DLC and apparently an extended timed exclusive duration and no one cares.

On what universe has the media lambasted Sony for this? Maybe you don’t know what that word means? 😆😆😆

Zoro7

Banned
Man Microsoft’s ego took such a huge bruising last gen. They are throwing the kitchen sink at this gen.

Shmunter

Interesting, MS locking up 3rd party must cost 3-4 times that of Sony. It’s all about subsidies on potential sales loss. No doubt why ms had to splash out 7.5B.

I don’t think there are any further 3rd party deals based on that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft thinks they turned the corner on a bad generation (Xbox One) obviously they need to put the mouth and money where the games are outside of Halo they need to address other genres.

Stuart360

Why is i5 costing 3-4 times more for MS than Sony?
He's just being his fanboy self. What he;s saying is because games sell 3-4 times more on Playstaytion than Xbox (no idea if that is true, probably not), studios will be charging Microsft 3-4 times as much money for Microsoft to buy them.
Then hinting that Sony could probably of got Bethesda for 3-4 times cheaper lol. Fanboy nonsense.

Last edited:

SNG32

This is great news as a PC gamer keep bringing them exclusives. First we here Sony dropping more exclusives to PC and Microsoft money hating 3rd party titles again. The future looks very bright on the PC side of things.

Shmunter

He's just being his fanboy self. What he;s saying is because games sell 3-4 times more on Playstaytion than Xbox (no idea if that is true, probably not), studios will be charging Microsft 3-4 times as much money for Microsoft to buy them.
Then hinting that Sony could probably of got Bethesda for 3-4 times cheaper lol. Fanboy nonsense.
Buying a company is not the same as money hattting 3rd party. I’d explain but it should be obvious to any grown up.

Top Bottom