• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Xbox Insider] Multiplayer in Free-to-play games, Looking 4 Groups and Party Chat on Xbox no longer requires an Xbox Live Gold

DaGwaphics

How many people in the alpha/skip ahead don't have gold?

That's what I was thinking, how are they even testing this. LOL

As someone who only plays f2p games on xbox, no.

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

You laugh, but I'm sure there are a lot of kids that primarily play the f2p with friends. This likely influenced the console buying decision for many a non-gaming parent once the store clerk explained that Fortnite on this box was $60 a year, but that there were no extra costs for box B over here. Plus, I think Sony has said only half their users have PS+ subs, so, plenty that don't play online enough to pay the fee.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sorry for the continuing the thread derail...

But I am interested in know why you think that PSnow or gamepass or any sub service will "devalue your hobby"?

The fear is those kind of service offerings may help erode the perceived value of the games to consumers (like the free to play and $0.99 race to the bottom did on mobile). There were multiple presentations by the late Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata on issues with game value erosion.

Leyasu

Banned
The fear is those kind of service offerings may help erode the perceived value of the games to consumers (like the free to play and $0.99 race to the bottom did on mobile). There were multiple presentations by the late Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata on issues with game value erosion.
Erode perceived value... Wouldn't that lead to lower prices then for the consumers?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Erode perceived value... Wouldn't that lead to lower prices then for the consumers?
Look at the mobile landscape economy and see if that is the future you want to reach. Sure, in the short term you see a race to the bottom, but games do not start becoming cheaper to make nor the publishers less in love with profits... they find other ways to squeeze you.

If I buy BotW or SM: Odyssey I pay quite a bit upfront, but the game is designed to maximise my enjoyment / the fun I get out of it not my engagement and trying to sell me things constantly or milk some whales dry.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

Free multiplayer isn’t ever happening. These consoles are subsidized by our subscriptions. If multiplayer becomes free then the console market will either increase the cost of games to a higher amount above $70 or include more mtx.
Not to add that the cost of entry for the console will have to increase. They may decide to eat the loss to eventually make a profit but that’s a method that would only work in Sony’s behalf due to the amount of consoles they sell

Bo_Hazem

Banned
When PS fans will talk about Sony charging money for cloud storage? Cloud storage is free on Xbox and Steam but Sony and Nintendo charges for cloud storage but most of you ignore it or downplay it or come with some dumb reason to defend it like its not important nd all. Cloud is very important today, 100s of hours of gameplay i would have lost in Witcher 3 if not for free cloud saves on Xbox.

Cloud saves under PSN plus is also bad but people only highlight MS negatives and ignore/hide/defend Sony negatives. Smh

I literally didn't ever use cloud saves until I went from PS4 to PS5 just after I read about it. Could as well use a flash memory stick. Not sure what happened to your console there. But could saves is important for Xbox because you would use your saves on PC then console and vice versa. That's why you don't see much people complain about it. BTW, most Sony fans complain about any shitty thing done by Sony, just watch the threads around. But Xbox fans seem to be too defensive about a corporate.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
That's what I was thinking, how are they even testing this. LOL

You laugh, but I'm sure there are a lot of kids that primarily play the f2p with friends. This likely influenced the console buying decision for many a non-gaming parent once the store clerk explained that Fortnite on this box was $60 a year, but that there were no extra costs for box B over here. Plus, I think Sony has said only half their users have PS+ subs, so, plenty that don't play online enough to pay the fee.
I wasn't laughing.

I am one that only use my now ps4 as fortnite machine in the bedroom because I mainly play pc, and looks forward to replace it now that xbox won't require it at some point.

Yet I'm getting thrown free games on the PS4 so might wait a little.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Seeing you post that is magnificent.

I'm defensive about Sony, but not "too" defensive. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Gatox

Banned

Leyasu

Banned
Look at the mobile landscape economy and see if that is the future you want to reach. Sure, in the short term you see a race to the bottom, but games do not start becoming cheaper to make nor the publishers less in love with profits... they find other ways to squeeze you.

If I buy BotW or SM: Odyssey I pay quite a bit upfront, but the game is designed to maximise my enjoyment / the fun I get out of it not my engagement and trying to sell me things constantly or milk some whales dry.
At the moment there is no race to the bottom because of the sub services. I understand your points, just not as to why investment in said services equates to an “erosion of value”.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Are we there now we shit on xbox without even reading the title anymore?

That's a new low even by Gafs standards.
No I swear I simply read it wrong, literally just woke up when I read it. I'm French also.

I like Xbox lol don't get on your fence to quickly darn!

jakinov

How it took them this long boggles my mind.
But this is good news especially with how F2P dominate these days.
Not enough people complained. And I haven’t heard great reasoning on why F2P should be exempt especially from Microsoft perspective people say because it’s free but that just means Microsoft made $0 royalty which is Microsoft core revenue stream. F2P games still have to leverage Microsoft services at the end of the day which cost Microsoft extra money. However, a counter to that is that they get all their money back possibly from MTX revenue cuts.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
No I swear I simply read it wrong, literally just woke up when I read it. I'm French also.

I like Xbox lol don't get on your fence to quickly darn!
No biggies bro!

Congrats on being French, I'm Danish!

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I have seen people shitting about cloud storage behind paywall in the past, but in the meantime every major feature is/was behind paywall on Xbox including streaming services. Yes then in retrospect it turns out that you can't really complain about Sony's service.

And Sony’s only multi[player was free so both company’s did a U-turn so its the same thing

At the moment there is no race to the bottom because of the sub services. I understand your points, just not as to why investment in said services equates to an “erosion of value”.
That is an interesting point. On mobile no subscription was required to get a game for 99 cents. Gamepass is not free no matter what some people say. Because it isn't free it will provide a revenue stream for developers to produce the games we want to play. Gamepass also doesn't prevent anyone from paying the full MSRP or even getting Gamepass AND buying the game for a discount. Not really much to complain about. Seems like an 'erosion of obstacles to playing more games'.

Lol sorry, but literally everything expect cloud storage is free with PS+ and not behind paywall. F2P, party chat, streaming services, webbrowser...everything is free since PS3.

Having to pay for cloud storage is, in my opinion, more normal than having to pay for everything I had just described. I do agree that every new PS owner should get 5 or 10GB of cloud storage for free by default, purely for saves. PS+ owners should be able to use their 100GB for screenshots and videos in cloud, so you can also access them from the PS app on mobile.
Party chat n all are now free on Xbox. So its time for Sony to change as well.

Why da fuk people defend paid cloud saves when every other platform is providing it free? You telling me Sony that poor, they can't afford to rent server without charging? They got less money than Steam and EA? Xbox gives unlimited free cloud storage whereas Sony gives 100gb or something for a fee? Ridiculous.

Not a single Xbox fan here defending Xbox policies. Everyone agrees it should be free like on Steam. But you PS fans just defend Sony like Sony give you share of their profit lol. These corporations don't care about you. Wake up lol

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Party chat n all are now free on Xbox. So its time for Sony to change as well.

Why da fuk people defend paid cloud saves when every other platform is providing it free? You telling me Sony that poor, they can't afford to rent server without charging? They got less money than Steam and EA? Xbox gives unlimited free cloud storage whereas Sony gives 100gb or something for a fee? Ridiculous.

Not a single Xbox fan here defending Xbox policies. Everyone agrees it should be free like on Steam. But you PS fans just defend Sony like Sony give you share of their profit lol. These corporations don't care about you. Wake up lol

You're pissed off about cloud saves behind paywall on PS, while xbox literally had almost everything behind paywall for years including party chat. Sorry but your the one trying to defend it only because MS changed it now (well not really atm), and now Sony is bad? Sure free cloud saves would be great, but it's funny that you trying to shit on the cloud part, where ms just made you pay for every feature.

And lol no, you xbox fans are more invested in these corp things these days sucking Phills toe and even thanking him for everything lol.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
Makes no odds to me, i've been Gold since 360 days. But, i'm suprised it took Microsoft this goddamned long. Sony announced this shit at launch of PS4.

You're pissed off about cloud saves behind paywall on PS, while xbox literally had almost everything behind paywall for years including party chat. Sorry but your the one trying to defend it only because MS changed it now (well not really atm), and now Sony is bad? Sure free cloud saves would be great, but it's funny that you trying to shit on the cloud part, where ms just made you pay for every feature.

And lol no, you xbox fans are more invested in these corp things these days sucking Phills toe and even thanking him for everything lol.
MS used to charge. Its thing of a past. They not charging anymore. So whatever you said its invalid.

Also you read my post? I never defended Xbox policies. I already posted i want everything free.

Now its Sony's turn to become consumer friendly but you PS fans just blindly defend everything Sony. Blind faith for a corporation lol

Top Bottom