• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Xbox Insider] Multiplayer in Free-to-play games, Looking 4 Groups and Party Chat on Xbox no longer requires an Xbox Live Gold

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
We have exciting news! Alpha Skip-Ahead users can expect something new coming to their Xbox Update Preview.

• Multiplayer in Free-to-play games, Looking 4 Groups and Party Chat on Xbox no longer requires an Xbox Live Gold membership as we flight and test these service changes ahead of general availability.

Finally

source.gif

Shmunter

That's even more notorious than blocking F2P and chat party!
The power of competition. Once Sony started gaining ground, ms had no choice but to bridge the competitive gap. Without alternatives, any company is happy to exploit their customers.

By the same token, with MS’s aggressive studio acquisitions and gamepass push, Sony will need to respond if MS does indeed gain traction.

Thus far ps+ seems to be offering more value than ever. Do not want a focus on PSNOW as I think the model devalues my hobby, but more games from Sony and better value is perfect.

Hoping for an immersive sim focus due to Bathesda buy out. Can you imagine the quality in something like that if it were built by a Sony studio.

jaysius

Banned
Thus far ps+ seems to be offering more value than ever. Do not want a focus on PSNOW as I think the model devalues my hobby, but more games from Sony and better value is perfect.

:messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Spit Take Lol GIF

That's too much, if your grasp on your hobby is that fickle, then you've got issues.

You use the service as you see fit, if it's "too much" for you then that's a self control issue.

Last edited:
That's even more notorious than blocking F2P and chat party!
When PS fans will talk about Sony charging money for cloud storage? Cloud storage is free on Xbox and Steam but Sony and Nintendo charges for cloud storage but most of you ignore it or downplay it or come with some dumb reason to defend it like its not important nd all. Cloud is very important today, 100s of hours of gameplay i would have lost in Witcher 3 if not for free cloud saves on Xbox.

Cloud saves under PSN plus is also bad but people only highlight MS negatives and ignore/hide/defend Sony negatives. Smh

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
When PS fans will talk about Sony charging money for cloud storage? Cloud storage is free on Xbox and Steam but Sony and Nintendo charges for cloud storage but most of you ignore it or downplay it or come with some dumb reason to defend it like its not important nd all. Cloud is very important today, 100s of hours of gameplay i would have lost in Witcher 3 if not for free cloud saves on Xbox.

Cloud saves under PSN plus is also bad but people only highlight MS negatives and ignore/hide/defend Sony negatives. Smh

If you cannot see how making people pay to access YouTube or the web with the built in browser is different from offering your own cloud storage well... not sure what to say, beside “good for having the what about Sony card always ready” in a thread talking about Xbox LIVE paywalls going down.

These days and age having a small free storage tier like 1-5 GB per account would be nice to have sure. That is undeniable: it becomes super important if you could not backup your saves manually.

What they give with PS+ is a lot more than that though: 100 GB for PS5 and 100 GB for PS4 games. That is cheaper but not cheap if you have your own data centres, but I am not seeing companies throwing that much per user cloud storage for free around.

Thread about the cloud storage issue:

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned

Use a ubs, its not that hard, i know getting things inside a title hole are alien to you, but its not that hard believe me

Btw lol at people thanking Spencer for this, after 10 years of doing this shit

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

I know man, some sad people using this thread to bring up that Xbox used to need a sub to watch Netflix. Well guess what? They don’t now. What’s your point?

Once upon a time, Sony used to allow us to play online games for free and PS Plus was just a games rental service. Guess they got greedy lol.

Both companies are greedy and exist to milk us out of as much money as possible, shock horror.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Come on Phil, release it already. I ain't gonna pay for gold only to play fortnite.

Klart

The power of competition. Once Sony started gaining ground, ms had no choice but to bridge the competitive gap. Without alternatives, any company is happy to exploit their customers.

By the same token, with MS’s aggressive studio acquisitions and gamepass push, Sony will need to respond if MS does indeed gain traction.

Hoping for an immersive sim focus due to Bathesda buy out. Can you imagine the quality in something like that if it were built by a Sony studio.
A Sony studios single player TES-like or Fallout-like would be wonderful. I hope they are already working on one behind the scenes.

Lone Wolf

If you cannot see how making people pay to access YouTube or the web with the built in browser is different from offering your own cloud storage well... not sure what to say, beside “good for having the what about Sony card always ready” in a thread talking about Xbox LIVE paywalls going down.

These days and age having a small free storage tier like 1-5 GB per account would be nice to have sure. That is undeniable: it becomes super important if you could not backup your saves manually.

What they give with PS+ is a lot more than that though: 100 GB for PS5 and 100 GB for PS4 games. That is cheaper but not cheap if you have your own data centres, but I am not seeing companies throwing that much per user cloud storage for free around.

Thread about the cloud storage issue:
Posts 7, 8 and 9 are Sony fans who came to shit post, and brought up Sony first. In an Xbox thread. As is tradition.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Great move, now you only need GOLD for online multi-player, hopefully dropping soon too.

Maybe make a lower GamePass tier for online MP only?

Great move, now you only need GOLD for online multi-player, hopefully dropping soon too.

Maybe make a lower GamePass tier for online MP only?
I feel like the sweet spot would be enabling online mp and matchmaking for free, but all the games in Gamepass require a gamepass subscription. I mean with 500+ games on Gamepass(I think like 380 on console? Rest on PC) You could definitely justify it, specially if all the new stuff goes there first

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
W
Posts 7, 8 and 9 are Sony fans who came to shit post, and brought up Sony first. In an Xbox thread. As is tradition.

Can you take post #9 https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...ires-an-xbox-live-gold.1597832/post-262856354 and show how it is a biased shit post?

I get some comments can and do indeed bring stress and can be classified as partisan shitpost, but you may call Shmunter Shmunter alt-right fascist if anything that does not sound as pure praise is labelled swiftly like that and piled on...

Bringing up Sony != excuse to drag the dialogue down further.

Last edited:
I know man, some sad people using this thread to bring up that Xbox used to need a sub to watch Netflix. Well guess what? They don’t now. What’s your point?

Once upon a time, Sony used to allow us to play online games for free and PS Plus was just a games rental service. Guess they got greedy lol.

Both companies are greedy and exist to milk us out of as much money as possible, shock horror.
Xbox did lot of wrong but after community pressure, they finally changing which is good. Now im hoping some anti consumer policies on PS side needs to be removed like paid cloud storage.

Banjo64

cumsessed
W

Can you take post #9 https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...ires-an-xbox-live-gold.1597832/post-262856354 and show how it is a biased shit post?

I get some comments can and do indeed bring stress and can be classified as partisan shitpost, but you may call Shmunter Shmunter alt-right fascist if anything that does not sound as pure praise is labelled swiftly like that and piled on...

Bringing up Sony != excuse to drag the dialogue down further.
What does fantasising over a Sony 1st party Bathesda clone and clapping Sony on the back for PS Plus have to do with Xbox making F2P games and party chat free?

Not saying there’s anything wrong with the comment per se, but seems a bit off topic for this thread.

Use a ubs, its not that hard, i know getting things inside a title hole are alien to you, but its not that hard believe me

Btw lol at people thanking Spencer for this, after 10 years of doing this shit
See as usual, PS brigade coming to Sony defense and suggesting dumb ideas How about you stop being a corporate shill and think about this for a second?. Free cloud save will benefit everyone just not me. Steam, EA and EGS all rent data servers like Sony but they don't charge but Sony does. So there is no defending paid cloud storage.

I honestly want complete free multiplayer on both consoles and every sensible mature gamer agree with me. Now you should think and decide what kind of gamer are you? :)

Both companies got bad policies and as gamers we should highlight them rather defending them as these policies don't help us but these corporations.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Lol sorry, but literally everything expect cloud storage is free with PS+ and not behind paywall. F2P, party chat, streaming services, webbrowser...everything is free since PS3.

Having to pay for cloud storage is, in my opinion, more normal than having to pay for everything I had just described. I do agree that every new PS owner should get 5 or 10GB of cloud storage for free by default, purely for saves. PS+ owners should be able to use their 100GB for screenshots and videos in cloud, so you can also access them from the PS app on mobile.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Lol sorry, but literally everything expect cloud storage is free with PS+ and not behind paywall. F2P, party chat, streaming services, webbrowser...everything is free since PS3.

Having to pay for cloud storage is, in my opinion, more normal than having to pay for everything I had just described. I do agree that every new PS owner should get 5 or 10GB of cloud storage for free by default, purely for saves. PS+ owners should be able to use their 100GB for screenshots and videos in cloud, so you can also access them from the PS app on mobile.
Great. All of it, including cloud saves, is free with Xbox moving forward. Or are we supposed to constantly shit on Xbox forever because it wasn’t free in the past?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why jump on the defend wagon instead of ignoring this nonsense.

Why do people who doesn't give a shit about this even jump into this fucking thread to defend their platform in a thread that has nothing to do with their shit.

Why do I never see Nintendo fanboys talking shit in this thread, but always team blue?

And by the way, everything was free up until ps3 like you said. Now you pay for playing online.

And don't blame Microsoft for it.
Because Microsoft were dicks about it and forced it upon their fanbase they should never be accused for Sony doing the same shit. Microsoft didn't force Sony to do it.
Sony saw how many money it could earn and jump into it as well.

... Again, why are we talking about ps again?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Why jump on the defend wagon instead of ignoring this nonsense.

Why do people who doesn't give a shit about this even jump into this fucking thread to defend their platform in a thread that has nothing to do with their shit.

Why do I never see Nintendo fanboys talking shit in this thread, but always team blue?

And by the way, everything was free up until ps3 like you said. Now you pay for playing online.

And don't blame Microsoft for it.
Because Microsoft were dicks about it and forced it upon their fanbase they should never be accused for Sony doing the same shit. Microsoft didn't force Sony to do it.
Sony saw how many money it could earn and jump into it as well.

... Again, why are we talking about ps again?

I have seen people shitting about cloud storage behind paywall in the past, but in the meantime every major feature is/was behind paywall on Xbox including streaming services. Yes then in retrospect it turns out that you can't really complain about Sony's service.

Question: why would the Sony Defense Force want to point out past anti-consumer practices of Microsoft when Sony’s past is just as bad (e.g. Linux support removed, cloud saves) and its present even worse (shuttering PS3/Vita/PSP stores, not allowing PS3s access to PSN)?

The willful myopia some Sony folks have around here is mind-boggling.

Concern

Question: why would the Sony Defense Force want to point out past anti-consumer practices of Microsoft when Sony’s past is just as bad (e.g. Linux support removed, cloud saves) and its present even worse (shuttering PS3/Vita/PSP stores, not allowing PS3s access to PSN)?

The willful myopia some Sony folks have around here is mind-boggling.

Don't feed into that garbage and further derail the thread. Just report and move on. They'd report spam if it was the other way around.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Another step in the right direction
Nope making retail customers second class citizens is bullshit and incentives to make pay to win games is the wrong direction. Retail games should of went free if anything and keeping a paywall around pay to win games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What does fantasising over a Sony 1st party Bathesda clone and clapping Sony on the back for PS Plus have to do with Xbox making F2P games and party chat free?

Not saying there’s anything wrong with the comment per se, but seems a bit off topic for this thread.
I take it as “competition is good and here is why I think it is affecting this”, but maybe in a bit of a wordier way. So, not too off-topic I think though, but I understand the other side of the fence (your point in this case).

Still, I would not classify it as Sony partisan shitposting.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Do not want a focus on PSNOW as I think the model devalues my hobby,
Sorry for the continuing the thread derail...

But I am interested in know why you think that PSnow or gamepass or any sub service will "devalue your hobby"?

Top Bottom