• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Heading into Next Generation in a Position of Strength

Uzupedro

It is clear that they put themselves in a more favorable situation in the current pre-next gen situation. But I think people have to be more skeptical, with both companies, anything is possible, MS can make mistakes even showing an improvement, and Sony can make mistakes even if it has placed itself as a leader in the market (although it will hardly lose that position in the sense of sales). I think almost nobody thinks like that, or they think that suddenly (Yes, I know it wasn't '' suddenly '') MS is going to be incredible in this gen, or they think Sony is going to come out on top easily again, very wishful thinking if you ask me (and I'm a Sony guy) Sorry if my english its not very clear, not my native language.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Why do people get so bent out of shape about console wars?

As a gamer you want the best games possible and that's achieved by good competition. We wouldn't have the high quality games we do now if it wasn't for the competition between the companies.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I just wanna see the games at this point. Power is in the bag, but you gotta do something with it. I don't care who sells more. Both will sell millions. Sony selling more has not impacted my ability to join Xbox and I'm sure Xbox's power advantage will not affect my ability to enjoy Playstation. A position of power does not always mean greater sales. Many car manufacturers can claim they come out with new vehicles from a position of power in a sense...that doesn't mean they sale the most. I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. I'm sure there are specific goals Microsoft has set for itself. I don't think selling the most consoles is on that list.

The Alien

Banned
Position of strength? Not sure what that means.

They are being aggressive and confident. They have great service, a great next gen console and are lining up a bunch of games.

What's the expected outcome for your success metric? Selling more consoles than Sony? That wont happen (they may come close in US, but def not globally).

Reclaiming relevancy and a healthy set of sales is what I would say would be successful. I think they can do that.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Most powerful hardware CHECK. Lol
As if that was ever the barometer of success for any successful console or handheld in the history of this industry.

You guys really need to let go of that 🤣

It was (and will always be) about the GAMES. The quicker you guys get it through your thick skulls the better.
Thankfully they have multiple teams working on multiple games to go with the most powerful hardware.

I can't wait to see Sony fans say when XGS is sliding out heavy hitters that rival and even surpass Sony's. The goal post shifting will be epic. Many already do. Good times a' comin!

jts

...hate me...
Xbox needs to win back the EA FIFA marketing deal, if they want to grow in Europe again. That’s what they had during the Xbox 360 days. That’s what they lost during the Xbox One days.

xHunter

They lost that deal 2 or 3 years after the xbox one got released. I remember that since ps4 and pc players never got the legends cards until sony got the marketing rights and they came out with the icon cards.

Reactions: jts

The Unforeseen

Neo Member
Clearly position of strength wasn't the best way to word it, they were in a position of strength at the end of last gen, after levelling the playing field in terms of sales with Sony. This gen they blew it big time. They certainly seem to be trying to make up for that though, and it does seem hard showing enthusiasm for Xbox right now, as it's quickly shot down as deluded fanboy discourse. I think there are a lot of reasons to be cautiously optimistic about the future of Xbox, clearly it is being backed on all fronts, games included, and not whimpering into oblivion like a lot predicted and/or hoped. Also I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the power narrative. Sure the Wii and PS2 and so on prove it isn't what is most important, but it can still be a strong string to one's bow. One of the main reasons why they did mess up this gen early on was by having the weaker system at a greater cost, if those things were balanced out I think at least the start of this gen would have been rather different. The games never really came either which is a different matter, but as I say, I am optimistic for the future.

jts

...hate me...
They lost that deal 2 or 3 years after the xbox one got released. I remember that since ps4 and pc players never got the legends cards until sony got the marketing rights and they came out with the icon cards.
Hm, I see. I stand corrected then, it was a bit of a cycle thing. PS4 already more people amongst FIFA players -> FIFA marketing rights -> PS4 becomes even more popular for them.

I guess the 360 back in the day really caught a “perfect storm” of sorts. The early release, the fact that PS was more associated with PES, even the 360 pad was more appropriate for FIFA. The marketing deal, the Peter Moore connection. I guess it’s gonna be hard for MS to get back some of that Euro mojo.

Last edited:

iiStryker

Neo Member
What Microsoft is showing is desperation under the guise of confidence.

they desperately need this generation to end because Mattrick fucked them with his hubris and being tone deaf to what video games are, games software.

instead they shoveled out shitty DRM, a motion camera that nobody wanted, and support for a dying medium tv tv tv

both companies know all too well that the next gen victor is still very much up in the air because both have had their missteps.

Neither has shown a killer must have app yet and given the current global economics no one is any position other than maybe kneeling down and praying to a god that doesn’t exist

Top Bottom