• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Head Phil Spencer Sparks Speculation Of Nintendo, Kojima Projects

Aion002

Isn't Death Stranding a Sony IP?

Maybe Kojima might be making an Xbox game.... But DS depends on Sony.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Doesn't have to be Death Stranding related.

Iced Arcade

Both HZD and Death Stranding are on PC so cannot see why the engine would have any impact on platform release.
It make sense for DS to come to xbox if purely to set up the inevitable sequel/next kojima game being cross platform.
Likely be on game pass considering the age of the game, another 9/10 game to add to the list, seems good.
Oh I'm not saying it couldn't be done. Just saying, I'd imagine Sony would have a say on the matter.

Interfectum

Yes. I find interesting that Phil proudly display Sony and Nintendo products... He probably really wants to unify the consoles, maybe he is truly a nice guy for gamers.
Eh? Could be teasing Kojima making a game for Xbox and/or a port of an MS game coming to Switch.

pasterpl

It would be funny if in reality before any of these streams Phil is thinking what to put behind him just to fuck with people heads, and completely not related to anything that ms is working on.

longdi

Banned
Some like to draw parallels with crackdown, scalebound or even halo. but this is kojipro we are talking about. They are a highly efficient self regulating entity who have shipped a rather high production quality game already.

Phil just need to provide them a budget and let the magic happens.

It also work well as a symbolic change of guard for a team that PS gamers grew up with.

This video seems a long time now

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If MS has some sort of actual Nintendo crossover that is meaningful, this would be huge........but seems unlikley.

supernova8

Banned

"Head of Xbox Phil Spencer seems to be teasing the possibility of a Hideo Kojima or even Nintendo partnership. There are a number of possibilities and there's really nothing aside from speculation, but Spencer has been known to hide stuff behind him on live streams and Zoom calls. Needless to say, the internet is in a frenzy now.

Last year, Spencer had hidden an Xbox Series S on a bookshelf that was behind him and following that, there were even hints in his office that Microsoft was buying Bethesda. Now, fans are hunting for even more clues, hoping to see if there's more hints to the future of Xbox whether that be acquisitions, new hardware, or something else.

He's got a window.

OH MY GOD... MICROSOFT... WINDOWS...

Oh My God Reaction GIF by 9Now

x@3f*oo_e!

Some like to draw parallels with crackdown, scalebound or even halo. but this is kojipro we are talking about. They are a highly efficient self regulating entity who have shipped a rather high production quality game already.

Phil just need to provide them a budget and let the magic happens.

It also work well as a symbolic change of guard for a team that PS gamers grew up with.

This video seems a long time now

They also using Sony's engine and don't have their own. I think Sony don't need to put a ring on it ..

I wonder what the licensing terms for the Decima engine are though ???

Phil's shelves are the focus of the entire gaming industry right now and have become the single most important thing in gaming. The competition knows that what they see there can shape the landscape of gaming for the rest of time and have to maneuver around what they see. Unfortunately for them Phil knows this and is using his shelves the way a Gippetto used the strings on Pinocchio to make the inert puppet dance for him. He knows that every time he puts something on there the competition spends millions of dollars trying to plan around his next ingenious move. The reality is that it's all a ruse. He's just playing games, trying to divert attention away from the obvious Sega acquisition taking place on Wednesday.

MrS

Banned
A Kojima exclusive or a From exclusive are the only things that could make me buy an Xbox. Gonna be interesting if it comes to pass.

yurinka

-Nintendo: here we have a Nintendo Direct
-Sony: here we have PSVR2 announcement, PC ports coming, free Ratchet and a State of Play in a couple of days
-Microsoft: hey, Spencer bought this cool figurine

Pure speculation for nothing.

Didn't Sony fund Kojima's studio? If they did, I doubt he's being bought out. Don't care for his games but I'll definitely enjoy reading a thread here on ms acquiring them. The meltdowns would never end 🤣🤣.
Yes. Death Stranding is a Sony game, they just allowed Kojima to publish it on PC with another publisher. But who knows, maybe Sony allows 505 and Kojipro to release it on Xbox too.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Why is Phill Spencer always talking vaguely and why people believe in any thing he speaks off? That is the real question here.

He is just creating buzz to keep the fans busy...it is a distraction. If you really want to surprise the fans, surprise them with real things...

Alright

Banned
Why is Phill Spencer always talking vaguely and why people believe in any thing he speaks off? That is the real question here.

He is just creating buzz to keep the fans busy...it is a distraction. If you really want to surprise the fans, surprise them with real things...
It's not like he has the benefit of the doubt either. 99% of what he says is vague future promises that never materialise.

Alright

Banned
It is true. I just think he needs to take the "more action and less talking" approach.
Yep. Show game, talk about why game is good for gaming reasons, not meaningless boardroom stats and KPI's and let us, the customer, decide if it's good.

All i hear is why Xbox strategy is right and what 'I' want as a customer is wrong and doesn't fit with it, followed by excuses as to why Xbox has sold like pork in pakistan.

Entroyp

I’ll like to see what a Kojima could do under a low budget for gamepass/xcloud type of game. I believe he might excel way more under those types of games than celebrity riddled nonsense.

Zeroing

Banned
Yep. Show game, talk about why game is good for gaming reasons, not meaningless boardroom stats and KPI's and let us, the customer, decide if it's good.

All i hear is why Xbox strategy is right and what 'I' want as a customer is wrong and doesn't fit with it, followed by excuses as to why Xbox has sold like pork in pakistan.
The "think about the future... wait for it",
so here we are talking about rumours because it is the only thing exciting happing to xbox right now.

What about the rest of the million things he talked about during all these years?
Like what? He's established Gamepass and made it incredible value, Xcloud improving and expanding (ultimately to integrate into Gamepass). Made Xbox first party bigger than both Nintendo and Sony, invested in third party support, day 1 on Gamepass! Only a fool would suggest he's not come through and delivered, doesn't say much for you.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
Gamepass via native switch code, or cloud gaming?

...not sure cloud gaming is a huge sell for a portable platform that isn’t always online.

I’d be more excited by a Halo port tbh.

Zeroing

Banned
Like what? He's established Gamepass and made it incredible value, Xcloud improving and expanding (ultimately to integrate into Gamepass). Made Xbox first party bigger than both Nintendo and Sony, invested in third party support, day 1 on Gamepass! Only a fool would suggest he's not come through and delivered, doesn't say much for you.
"How dare you be critical of Phil Spencer"
... okay

Alright

Banned
The "think about the future... wait for it",
so here we are talking about rumours because it is the only thing exciting happing to xbox right now.
The lack of preparation is always a laugh. The last two Xbox launches have been as if the next gen snuck up on Microsoft and they didn't expect it.

Zeroing

Banned
I'd love to have a battle of wit's with you but you're clearly unarmed.
Or I don’t want to have a battle because it’s meaningless.

Phil gets payed for his job, we don’t get payed to defend him or accuse him! So we have to postpone your “love for a battle”

Another time... I am sure there will be more opportunities for you to defend Phil Spencer honor.

yurinka

Maybe Kojima might be making an Xbox game.... But DS depends on Sony.
Yes, Death Stranding is a Sony IP. Which means Death Stranding (that includes Death Stranding Director's Cut or any other potential sequels, updated versions and spin-offs) won't be released on Xbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom