• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Head Phil Spencer Sparks Speculation Of Nintendo, Kojima Projects

Jemm

Tbf, this seems purposefully deliberated, the 2 standout items are in your face honest.
Phil could be joking with us by putting various things on the shelves since everyone is looking at them closely and reading into them too much. He could put Mickey Mouse -doll there and people would talk how Microsoft is buying Disney.

That said, there probably is some tip hiding somewhere, but we'll know when the news (if any) come out.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I keep seeing this on the site, even in this thread, but could someone explain how Nintendo make money allowing Gamepass on the Switch? The app will likely be free, you pay the subscription on Xbox Store and it could lead to some of their Switch owners not buying as much Switch games.

Nintendo won't do it for the good of their health, no business will. If they wanted to push Nintendo Switch Online they would have more online elements in their first party games, it would be more effective on Nintendo gamers than Gamepass.

So again, what am I missing?

Jemm

I keep seeing this on the site, even in this thread, but could someone explain how Nintendo make money allowing Gamepass on the Switch? The app will likely be free, you pay the subscription on Xbox Store and it could lead to some of their Switch owners not buying as much Switch games.
Switch could be a good handheld for xCloud (=Game Pass Ultimate). More people, including Xbox gamers, would buy Switches for handheld gaming.
While they have the devices, they could buy some Nintendo exclusives, too.

I could see that kind of deal increasing Switch sales. At least, this would be a good reason for me to get a Switch.

Mmnow

Nintendo won't do it for the good of their health, no business will. If they wanted to push Nintendo Switch Online they would have more online elements in their first party games, it would be more effective on Nintendo gamers than Gamepass.

So again, what am I missing?
They'd get 30 per cent of subscription fees, plus the added benefit of extra DLC and microtransactions sales.

The flipside of that is they'd potentially lose sales on copies sold, depending how well third parties sell on Switch and how many people subscribe.

Personally, I don't see it. Gamepass doesn't work for Microsoft if they have to give up 30 per cent of their profit on a certain platform.

Xcloud? Potentially. Gamepass? I don't think so.

UnNamed

Banned
Xcloud on Switch would be
tenor.gif

turtlepowa

Banned
And all of a sudden Kojima becomes an incredible developer by the same people who used to hate everything he did (for Sony). :messenger_grinning_smiling:
That's how it works for some people. Insomniac was a shitty studio and Sunset Overdrive a shitty game and when Sony bought them it was the deal of the century. Personally i still think Death Stranding is a boring peace of sh... and Kojima the most overrated person in gaming industry.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
That's how it works for some people. Insomniac was a shitty studio and Sunset Overdrive a shitty game and when Sony bought them it was the deal of the century. Personally i still think Death Stranding is a boring peace of sh... and Kojima the most overrated person in gaming industry.

Insomeniac was a second party studio for PS. It was always a matter of time for them.

sublimit

Banned
Bad analogy. In fact it was Xbox fanboys who used to hate everything Insomniac did (Resistance,Ratchet) but when they made Sunset Overdrive (which was a turd IMO) suddenly they became God-tier developers (until they became a Sony studio then they became shit-tier again).

You have had Xbox players who were shitting on everything Kojima made (including MGS) and these people are suddenly having a change of hearts. You even see some in this very thread.

I don't like Kojima either.I consider him overrated and Death Stranding looks to be the most boring and most pretendious game ever. But i always had this stance (you can search my posts at early Death Stranding threads because after a point i started put them on ignore) and it didn't changed overnight like a lot of people will do if a collaboration or exclusivity deal with MS will be announced. If i hate something the most in this industry is hypocrisy.

cireza

Banned
In fact it was Xbox fanboys who used to hate everything Insomniac did (Resistance,Ratchet) but when they made Sunset Overdrive (which was a turd IMO) suddenly they became God-tier developers (until they became a Sony studio then they became shit-tier again).
This kind of generalization is the worst. Can you prove that every single Xbox enthusiast had this point of view ? Of course you can't. There were probably a lot of people playing on Xbox who thought the Ratchet & Clank were games nice/fine games...

Last edited:

Stuart360

Bad analogy. In fact it was Xbox fanboys who used to hate everything Insomniac did (Resistance,Ratchet) but when they made Sunset Overdrive (which was a turd IMO) suddenly they became God-tier developers (until they became a Sony studio then they became shit-tier again).

You have had Xbox players who were shitting on everything Kojima made (including MGS) and these people are suddenly having a change of hearts. You even see some in this very thread.

I don't like Kojima either.I consider him overrated and Death Stranding looks to be the most boring and most pretendious game ever. But i always had this stance (you can search my posts at early Death Stranding threads because after a point i started put them on ignore) and it didn't changed overnight like a lot of people will do if a collaboration or exclusivity deal with MS will be announced. If i hate something the most in this industry is hypocrisy.
I swear every other post i see of yours, its always 'Xbox fanboys' related.
Let it go.

turtlepowa

Banned

Maybe it was not the best example (even though i saw a lot of blue warriors hating on Sunset and Insomniac), but i think we can agree that this works both ways for those stupid fanboys.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
If MS acquired KojiPro as a first party, I'm sure they would give them unlimited budget for making the big Hollywood blockbuster level of craftmanship game Kojima wants. Death Stranding was a good idea, but it kind of felt very barebones like.

Imagine a Kojima game with the Rockstar level of detail.

sublimit

Banned
This kind of generalization is the worst. Can you prove that every single Xbox enthusiast had this point of view ? Of course you can't. There were probably a lot of people playing on Xbox who thought the Ratchet & Clank were games nice/fine games...
There is a difference between enthusiast and fanboy. And i never said EVERY Xbox fan had this stance (thank God). But I DO know people who were and who are always like that. There is a Youtube gaming channel in my country (who are pretending they are an objective gaming channel lol) and you will not believe the spinning and backpedaling they do in order to show Sony always in a negative light and Xbox always on the positive. They actually spend more time shitting on everything Sony does (or does not) than what Xbox does even though they are obviously an Xbox channel. It's those people who are going to celebrate Kojima going to Xbox even though they always hated on him before. It's this hypocrisy that i find hillarious and annoying at the same time.
Of course i know that i can stop watching them or paying attention to these online behaviors but sometimes they are a bit hard to ignore.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
If MS acquired KojiPro as a first party, I'm sure they would give them unlimited budget for making the big Hollywood blockbuster level of craftmanship game Kojima wants. Death Stranding was a good idea, but it kind of felt very barebones like.

MS and Hollywood big budget style kojima wants? You do know Death Stranding was it's own project he always wanted to create, so what the hell are you trying to say? MS hasn't been creative for years so i don't see how they fit better with MS.

I don't know why Xbox fans are so invested to see everything being part of MS, since they are the once still can't create anything worthwhile for years. Money doesn't translate into successes. So far all the collaborations MS has done with third parties have hardly ended in anything good or been cancelled.

Ow and everyone can buy the Ludens figure on the website......https://uk.kojimaproductions-store.com/products/figma-ludens?_pos=1&_sid=bfd604143&_ss=r

Last edited:

Flintty

And all of a sudden Kojima becomes an incredible developer by the same people who used to hate everything he did (for Sony). :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Whilst in the blue corner, Kojima's games will suddenly have always been bad and over rated, and Playstation doesn't need his games. Just like everything under the Zenimax umbrella (or is it? Some of GAF are telling me they're still good games and will be coming to Playstation). This war, man...

Mmnow

In practise, I reckon the opposite would happen.

Take away the need to sell games at $60 and Kojima will stop trying to make his games marketable. He won't have to justify a big initial outlay.

Death Stranding was amazing and risky, but imagine it if Kojima was like "Right, nobody has to buy this game to play it...so what do I do?"

Personally, I love the sound of that. I don't need traditional gameplay hooks to make me appreciate his work.

But it'd probably mean shorter, less overtly high quality games, and it'd be Microsoft that get blamed for that.

wouldn't be shocked if we see gamepass on switch via xcloud streaming.

I don't see Death Stranding coming to xbox because...

- the game uses Sony's Demima engine.
- I don't think anyone on xbox is tripping over trying to get it Death Stranding and doubt it's worth the price tag it would no doubt cost to come over.
Both HZD and Death Stranding are on PC so cannot see why the engine would have any impact on platform release.
It make sense for DS to come to xbox if purely to set up the inevitable sequel/next kojima game being cross platform.
Likely be on game pass considering the age of the game, another 9/10 game to add to the list, seems good.

Mr Moose

Both HZD and Death Stranding are on PC so cannot see why the engine would have any impact on platform release.
It make sense for DS to come to xbox if purely to set up the inevitable sequel/next kojima game being cross platform.
Likely be on game pass considering the age of the game, another 9/10 game to add to the list, seems good.
Don't Sony own the Death Stranding IP?

PhaseJump

Banned
Phil should throw some cash around and acquire Kojipro, ArtPlay, Itagaki Games, Falcom, and Sega.

Console warriors would start killing themselves.

They'd get 30 per cent of subscription fees, plus the added benefit of extra DLC and microtransactions sales.

The flipside of that is they'd potentially lose sales on copies sold, depending how well third parties sell on Switch and how many people subscribe.

Personally, I don't see it. Gamepass doesn't work for Microsoft if they have to give up 30 per cent of their profit on a certain platform.

Xcloud? Potentially. Gamepass? I don't think so.
Gamepass and Xcloud are basically the same thing. By the time this deal goes through there will be 100 million Switch consoles out in the wild. That's a huge market and the selling point is being able to play AAA games on a handheld. Those games are also not available on Nintendo's eShop anyway, so it's a win-win for both companies.

RaZoR No1

are there any Atlus/Sega refrences?

Btw: does the Switch have an internet browser and is it based on Chromium? If yes, then Switch should be able to use xCloud via the browser

Don't Sony own the Death Stranding IP?
They do indeed. Doesnt make it impossible though, kojimas studio is independent so he has a lot of leverage.

Having said all that, I dont put much stock in these rumours.

Xbox desperately needs some love from Japan though.

Mmnow

Gamepass and Xcloud are basically the same thing. By the time this deal goes through there will be 100 million Switch consoles out in the wild. That's a huge market and the selling point is being able to play AAA games on a handheld. Those games are also not available on Nintendo's eShop anyway, so it's a win-win for both companies.
They're lumped together in Ultimate because Xcloud isn't currently viable enough to be a standalone product. That'll change, and standalone will absolutely be available in various places (Although it'll probably be called something Gamepass so subscribers can be counted together). It'll also take into account a platform holder's fee in the cost.

That's what will come to Switch, if anything. I have doubts, because I don't see how it fits into Nintendo’s longer term benefit, but stranger things have happened.

Interfectum

The Switch and Kojima statue don't even make sense where they are placed... it's clearly Phil feeding into the internet detective meme shit. They got something going on with Kojima.

Top Bottom