• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox head Phil Spencer says console tribalism is ‘one of the worst things about our industry’

How on earth is Colteastwood toxic? TimDog, maybe, but Colt? Nah. Compared to Jaydub and the other insane members of that posse, he's a saint.
i agree, when Colt is saying when MS has the tools for the Xbox Series X up to date and then the third party games will look 50-60% better than the PS5 version. Yes, shure you are not toxic, but you are delusional😉

Last edited:

TBiddy

i agree, when Colt is saying when MS has the tools for the Xbox Series X up to date and then the third party games will look 50-60% better than the PS5 version. Yes, shure you are not toxic, but you are delusional😉

It's called pandering to his viewers. Anyone invested will do that. Just look at the numerous posters here on Gaf who will write anything to gain likes from their fellow peers in their own tribe.

I haven't personally seen his video about the "update will unlock 30% more power" or what it was, but it's certainly non sense.

Last edited:
This is exactly the type of response he's probably talking about. Instead of being happy for Xbox fans your slating him and the release? And for what?

After coming from the PS4 last gen, I didn't feel any need to upgrade to the PS5 atm cus there's not very much to plahy, so why arnt you moaning about that? Especially when the big spiderman game is on PS4.

Personally, as a new xbox owner I'm extremely happy with the hundreds of games I can play on gamepass. I'm spoilt for choice.... Something that I've never had at a launch before.

But no.... He's very sad because the xbox is not a 'runaway' hit. You personaly know how he feels and personally know how many xboxs they sold, you personally know how many were manufacturerd and you've probably seen a ton left on the shelves /s

Man, you are so salty. So PS5 launched with a handful of first party games, only 2 of them being exclusive: Astro's Playroom and Demon's Souls. That's considered a lackluster launch, although those two games are both reviewed as being phenomenal. Still, only two "exclusives." Compare that to N64 which launched with literally 2 games: Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. It's lame.

Or compare it to Xbox One, which did launch with a handful of exclusive games like Ryse, right? Crimson Dragon I think? Probably a Forza thrown in there. That had a solid launch lineup although they're all games that have been forgotten by now. Then as time ticked by, the amount of first party games ticked down smaller, and smaller, and smaller... Oh but Forza is great! Let's all act like racing games are our favorite now because that's all there is...

I'm no fanboy, man. I could go through the launches of all the Xboxes, and this is just from memory. Original Xbox was awesome at launch. Halo, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Fuzion Frenzy and Azurik! Alright, Azurik was trash but it has a special place in my heart. Max Payne was out soon after launch and was the definitive version of that game, blew away the shitty PS2 version. I loved Xbox at that point. That coil game on Fuzion Frenzy, that was my shit! All those Sega games they picked up, Shenmue 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta. That was a hell of a console.

Xbox 360, King Kong and Kameo, right? The move to HD, it was glorious. I went to Target multiple times to play those demos, couldn't wait for it. Shortly after came Lost Odyssey, amazing exclusive RPG. How about Alan Wake?? Amazing.

Yet the further away we get away from the launch of every Xbox console, the first party offerings disappear. It's the opposite of the way Playstation goes, where their best games come at the end of a generation. Xbox traditionally gives us their best stuff early on, then it fizzles out. That's why during the 360 generation, I got a PS3 and started using that more and more until I finally turned away from Xbox entirely. I didn't leave them, they left me.

So for them to launch a console with ZERO games is, I think, something that should be talked about. That's a dangerous move. Yeah, you can play all the old games you want with Gamepass. You could do that on your old console too. You could do that on your PC too if you wanted to. As a PS5 purchaser, I was given access to a library of most of the best PS4 games, something I would not have access to on the old console. There's more incentive. Where's the incentive to upgrade from the Xbox One X to the Xbox Series X? It doesn't even have a different interface to make it look like a new generation. Everything's the same, it just runs better, theoretically. Do you think the average consumer even understands the difference in the names of those two consoles?

Some things to think about. Peace and love.

Man, you are so salty. So PS5 launched with a handful of first party games, only 2 of them being exclusive: Astro's Playroom and Demon's Souls. That's considered a lackluster launch, although those two games are both reviewed as being phenomenal. Still, only two "exclusives." Compare that to N64 which launched with literally 2 games: Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. It's lame.

Or compare it to Xbox One, which did launch with a handful of exclusive games like Ryse, right? Crimson Dragon I think? Probably a Forza thrown in there. That had a solid launch lineup although they're all games that have been forgotten by now. Then as time ticked by, the amount of first party games ticked down smaller, and smaller, and smaller... Oh but Forza is great! Let's all act like racing games are our favorite now because that's all there is...

I'm no fanboy, man. I could go through the launches of all the Xboxes, and this is just from memory. Original Xbox was awesome at launch. Halo, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Fuzion Frenzy and Azurik! Alright, Azurik was trash but it has a special place in my heart. Max Payne was out soon after launch and was the definitive version of that game, blew away the shitty PS2 version. I loved Xbox at that point. That coil game on Fuzion Frenzy, that was my shit! All those Sega games they picked up, Shenmue 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta. That was a hell of a console.

Xbox 360, King Kong and Kameo, right? The move to HD, it was glorious. I went to Target multiple times to play those demos, couldn't wait for it. Shortly after came Lost Odyssey, amazing exclusive RPG. How about Alan Wake?? Amazing.

Yet the further away we get away from the launch of every Xbox console, the first party offerings disappear. It's the opposite of the way Playstation goes, where their best games come at the end of a generation. Xbox traditionally gives us their best stuff early on, then it fizzles out. That's why during the 360 generation, I got a PS3 and started using that more and more until I finally turned away from Xbox entirely. I didn't leave them, they left me.

So for them to launch a console with ZERO games is, I think, something that should be talked about. That's a dangerous move. Yeah, you can play all the old games you want with Gamepass. You could do that on your old console too. You could do that on your PC too if you wanted to. As a PS5 purchaser, I was given access to a library of most of the best PS4 games, something I would not have access to on the old console. There's more incentive. Where's the incentive to upgrade from the Xbox One X to the Xbox Series X? It doesn't even have a different interface to make it look like a new generation. Everything's the same, it just runs better, theoretically. Do you think the average consumer even understands the difference in the names of those two consoles?

Starting a response with 'man your salty' just because I disagree with you is extremely childish. I won't bother responding to the rest of your post. Come back when your ready to have an adult conversation.

Last edited:
What a snivelling response to a call for clarity. The MS mouthpiece never said anything other than the tribalism remark in this article, so why not just stick to the matter at hand? (Assuming nothing aside from the current topic has relevance, according to you.) I wasn't the one calling for "lists" and comeuppance threads. That was either you or the person you quoted (assuming I've followed the conversation chain correctly). Btw, I'll have my PS5 soon enough, and I've owned ever PS system since the PSX so please piss off with your labelling and projections of insecurity and bias. The partisan and incendiary nature of this forum is truly unbearable at times, and if you can't see that you're just as manipulated by corporate brainwashing as the opposing console warriors you so clearly despise. It's not whataboutism, it's fact.

Lol, ironically the bolded is essentially the gaming equivalent of "I'm not a racist, I have black friends". I knew you would go there and you went there.

At the end of the day, you don't get to complain about the "incendiary nature of this forum" when you're the one coming in here and calling everyone fanboys; throwing gasoline on the fire.

you're*

you're*

I got banned last week for saying fanboys are ridiculous and people should enjoy their console. And that the PS5 is admittedly great with a great controller.

Apparently that was baiting and flaming so I got banned for a week. Yet admin leave shit posts like yours up that are clearly baity. They leave posts up like your previous one calling people salty because they disagree with you and you cant handle different opinions.

Admin are just as worse as this retarded poster. Can guarantee if I said the same I'd get banned again for the same thing as before. I'll let myself out the door. Feel free to correct any spelling errors. Toodaloo

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
With Phil hinting at leaving the industry, who do you think would be a good fit to replace him? I’m going with .... Shawn Layden. The way Sony did him dirty and gave him the boot, I wouldn’t be surprised.

I got banned last week for saying fanboys are ridiculous and people should enjoy their console. And that the PS5 is admittedly great with a great controller.

Apparently that was baiting and flaming so I got banned for a week. Yet admin leave shit posts like yours up that are clearly baity. They leave posts up like your previous one calling people salty because they disagree with you and you cant handle different opinions.

Admin are just as worse as this retarded poster. Can guarantee if I said the same I'd get banned again for the same thing as before. I'll let myself out the door. Feel free to correct any spelling errors. Toodaloo

Why are you so mad tho?

I made a long, serious post to you explaining my position, and you just straight up ignored it because of my first sentence. I'm the one who should be mad.

J____Av

So they aren't supposed to buy developers?

Lmao stfu

Not when they buy developers to get games they were already getting. Sure its great for gamepass, but they added zero games. Buying a studio to take games away from your competition is a shitty move

im wondering on the scale of evil things, where does message board flame wars really fall? i mean, Phil's entire industry would collapse without African child labor and literal CCP concentration camps putting together his products.

i would consider that kind of exploitation FAR WORSE AND LITERALLY FAR MORE HARMFUL than any internet drama.

also, did you know that Microsoft was the first company to join the US gov't in the NSA spying programs that spied on Americans?

yeah there is a lot of shitty things about this industry. most of that is the assholes at the top. compared to the kind of human rights violation shit they get away with, all the message board drama in the world is nothing.
Bernkastel Bernkastel is a NSA Spy confirmed.

Alan Wake

I agree with you, and yet Xbox Series is apparently the biggest Xbox launch ever. I think the launch itself is not a concern, even though they have (almost) nothing new to offer on day one. The challenge for them will be the next 6-12 months. If they have Halo Infinite in November 2021, that's good. But with what games are they going to build momentum during 2021? Is Game Pass in itself enough? I don't know.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not when they buy developers to get games they were already getting. Sure its great for gamepass, but they added zero games. Buying a studio to take games away from your competition is a shitty move

I guess if you redefine gamers as people with a Windows PC or an Xbox or Xcloud streaming then you have not done anything of the like... “exclusives? What do you mean exclusives, everyone can play them, exclusives would be bad😙?”

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
My friend (you know which one) likes Phil Spencer and says that he's very humble. :messenger_squinting_tongue: :messenger_squinting_tongue: :messenger_squinting_tongue:
H1oDV3F.jpg

Enemy of my enemy is my ally that's why he's been pro Xbox/Microsoft recently. He wants Sony dead.

Last edited:

sephiroth7x

I agree with him in regards of the Console 'War' being toxic etc. but I cannot take him or anyone from MS seriously when they do say it.

They are one of the main culprits of the marketing campaigns attacking Sony and Nintendo via social medias and other means in recent times. I would welcome a gaming environment without toxicity and I believe most gamer's would, but this whole interview screams of someone either not understanding their interactions, or someone trying to stop the rot/loss by becoming peaceful.

Nintendo abandoned the console 'war' long ago and they didn't shout about it. They simply carried on, doing their own thing and have the respect of pretty much every gamer out there. (Or they should - perhaps you can question their motive regarding fan games and their website shutting antics but in reality they are only protecting their property.)

Quoted for truth. Cringy as it may be, unless people get way overboard with personal attacks and insults, console warring can be one of the funniest things to observe in any gaming community.

Also, the obligatory GIF for this occasion.

Lgdjcr8.gif

This is awesome and needs to be emphasized in what has predictably become a shit show of a thread.

Phil triggers Sony fanboys like none other. It's awesome to watch the meltdowns en masse every time he says anything as warriors read into his pretty basic PR shtick in hilariously off target ways, which usually boil down to Sony guys droning on - as they have for, oh the past decade or so - about how MS is going to be leaving gaming any day now. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️😅 (along with the latest twist of continually losing their shit about the Zenimax acquisition. It's the gift that keeps on giving!)

magnumpy

where has this guy been. console tribalism existed when I was a kid in the 90s and even before that. I even hear there exist certain cutting edge technologies such as flat screen TVs and cellphones although this is for now just an unconfirmed rumor :(

Gloomnivore

I don’t know if it’s bad for industry. It’s not too bad for Sony or Nintendo right now but then there is no real tribalism among those two fan bases. Phil is the guy in last place because unlike Nintendo he keeps going after Sony’s market and he’s not getting it.

Funny he says this when MS executives like Aaron Greenberg engage in throwing gasoline into the console war on twitter.

None of the Sony or Nintendo executives partake in this bullshit console war but Aaron Greenberg is constantly swimming in the shit. If Phil really hates the console wars like he claims, he should be cleaning his own backyard. Sounds extremely hypocritical when Phil says he's against console wars and is okay with his workers and PR people partaking in it. Fanboys will be fanboys but it's extremely cringeworthy when I see company executives or PR that should know better engaging in console wars.

Greggy

I'd just like Phil to focus more on what's worse about what he can control, which is his brand and less on what he can't control.
"Sega does what Nintendon't", that was before most of the people he is blasting in this interview were even born. Corporations have been part of this and still are: "this is how you exchange games on our platform", "This is how you lay your console horizontal on our platform".
We live in a country with freedom of speech and opinion so please Phil, the right to hate the other brand is in the constitution. I don't think anybody is particularly concerned that it puts you off. How about telling people when the drought of games on their shiny new console will end? There is no release date for any of the games showed in the July showcase and we're almost in December. Stop the diversion please.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member

tenor.gif

H Hitchyhero PostNov 16, 2020Nov 23, 2020You've not posted much yet this is your third warning for derailing into console wars, Sony fanboys etc. If all you're here to do is insult and escalate then you may as may not be. Think it over.

Additional: User already had two warnings before starting to derail the thread into fanboy wars, then escalated to Sony fans are cancer. Gave them a week off to consider what they want out of this forum. Just trolling at the moment. Previous warnings listed in bio.

tenor.gif

H Hitchyhero PostNov 16, 2020Nov 23, 2020You've not posted much yet this is your third warning for derailing into console wars, Sony fanboys etc. If all you're here to do is insult and escalate then you may as may not be. Think it over.

Additional: User already had two warnings before starting to derail the thread into fanboy wars, then escalated to Sony fans are cancer. Gave them a week off to consider what they want out of this forum. Just trolling at the moment. Previous warnings listed in bio.

"Always delivers."

giphy.gif

Saruhashi

Banned
I don't really get what MS are trying to do with Xbox to be honest.

Why release your new console at the exact same time as Sony to begin with? It's guaranteed to encourage tribalism since people will make a choice and then feel the need to justify that decision.

A year earlier and you've got consoles in stock while PS5 is nowhere to be found. Offer a decent exclusive or two and it's a much easier decision for gamers.

Imagine every outlet in the country is sold out of PS5 but you could grab and Xbox with a year of gamepass and Halo infinite for say 700 bucks.

Or wait a couple of years instead and all those people who own a PS5 might be convinced to buy a more powerful brand new Xbox. Again, with a couple of strong exclusives.

No idea how they end up releasing this 2 days before PS5.

Alan Wake

I don't really get what MS are trying to do with Xbox to be honest.

Why release your new console at the exact same time as Sony to begin with? It's guaranteed to encourage tribalism since people will make a choice and then feel the need to justify that decision.

A year earlier and you've got consoles in stock while PS5 is nowhere to be found. Offer a decent exclusive or two and it's a much easier decision for gamers.

Imagine every outlet in the country is sold out of PS5 but you could grab and Xbox with a year of gamepass and Halo infinite for say 700 bucks.

Or wait a couple of years instead and all those people who own a PS5 might be convinced to buy a more powerful brand new Xbox. Again, with a couple of strong exclusives.

No idea how they end up releasing this 2 days before PS5.

That will happen no matter when they launch. Most people will not buy two consoles, they'll be content with one to play their FIFA, CoD, AC and so on. But also: most people won't become fanboys as a result.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Console tribalism only exists on social media and message boards, it doesn't exist in the real world.

Your most die hard Sony fan would buy an Xbox in a heartbeat if in a hypothetical scenario Xbox ever got exclusive rights to Final Fantasy or Uncharted or whatever.

And your most die hard Xbox fan would buy a Playstation if Sony ever got exclusive rights to an Xbox franchise they love.

Gamers buy whatever console has the most games they like. The trash talking is social media internet bravado, nothing more. What's toxic is when people make it out to be more than it is. If "console tribalism" was toxic, console sales would be down, but they're actually booming, as is the gaming industry. So it can't be that toxic, can it?

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Definitely agree with him. I dramatically cut back how much time I spend on gaming sites, post a tiny fraction of what I used to as I just can’t deal with all the platform warring and fanboy nonsense, endless hot takes and hyperbole, nitpicking everything to death and general negativity and hostility about a hobby that’s supposed to be about having fun.

I just peruse a time or two a day to keep up with news and occasionally post in a non warring or negative thread. Means more time gaming and less talking about them which wasn’t always the case in the past for me as well which is a major positive change.

Phil Spencer, Head of one of the 'Big Three' believes the worst thing about our industry is a tradition as old as the industry itself. (I hate console warring, but it exists in sports, politics etc)

Not:

Predatory practices of selling loot boxes to kids.
Broken games on launch requiring patches
Pay to win
Ever increasing amounts of DLC, season passes and MTX.
MTX in full price games.

It's time to go, Mr Spencer. You're a fine suit, you're just not suited to run a gaming division.

Last edited:
Why are you posting old Phil quotes from 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2017?

Oh wait he is just rehashing the same speech.

Sorry Phil but you aren't fooling anyone you make a product to compete against the other, there will always be loyal fans, and many in the industry are not loyal as seen with PS3 and Xbox One, so why you are pretending this is an epidemic like some sorta virus is weird. Maybe Phil should stop reading twitter.

bxrz

Welcome to the real world. Sony and Nintendo have an extensive list of shitty moves theyve done

bxrz

Phil Spencer, Head of one of the 'Big Three' believes the worst thing about our industry is a tradition as old as the industry itself. (I hate console warring, but it exists in sports, politics etc)

Not:

Predatory practices of selling loot boxes to kids.
Broken games on launch requiring patches
Pay to win
Ever increasing amounts of DLC, season passes and MTX.
MTX in full price games.

It's time to go, Mr Spencer. You're a fine suit, you're just not suited to run a gaming division.
He didn't say the worst, he said "one of the worst".

Reading is fun, you should learn it

Phil and Timdog, you dont see other brands doing this.

XKkr3h5.jpg
What's wrong with this? Part of what makes Xbox different is that they interact with their fans and generally care about their feedback. Feels way less like a faceless corporation. I have never seen Phil or any other executives encourage toxic behavior or attacking other companies. MS can't be responsible for bad behavior anymore than Sony or any other company.

geordiemp

What's wrong with this? Part of what makes Xbox different is that they interact with their fans and generally care about their feedback. Feels way less like a faceless corporation. I have never seen Phil or any other executives encourage toxic behavior or attacking other companies. MS can't be responsible for bad behavior anymore than Sony or any other company.

You know how Timdog was made infamous, stalking buyers at best buy with a camera to see if they bought ps4 or xb1.

And yet photos and handshakes give unspoken legitimacy.

You know how Timdog was made infamous, stalking buyers at best buy with a camera to see if they bought ps4 or xb1.

And yet photos and handshakes give unspoken legitimacy.
Not aware of that. You do have any actual evidence? Also any evidence of Phil or any other MS executive telling him to harass anyone would also be helpful.

Top Bottom