• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox head Phil Spencer says console tribalism is ‘one of the worst things about our industry’

I think he's referring to the small minority of radical overweight middle aged man boys that live in their basement and dirty their controllers with Cheetos on a daily basis.

1NwuCZp.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Microsoft’s biggest competitor isn’t Sony or Nintendo

vpavic_070616_1091_0165_wm.0.0.jpg

Microsoft and Sony are often considered direct rivals in the game space, competing for players through new consoles and exclusive games. Brand loyalty and “console wars” for some players dictates whether they’ll grab a PlayStation or Xbox. Extreme fans have even escalated their affinity for one over the other into harassment. But Microsoft’s real threat isn’t Sony, Nintendo, or any other company, says Microsoft’s head of gaming Phil Spencer. “We’re in the entertainment business. The biggest competitor we have is apathy over the products and services, games that we build,” he says.

Speaking to The Verge, Spencer says he finds toxic brand loyalty to be distasteful and despises the idea that companies like Microsoft “have to see others fail” in order to achieve their goals. “That tribalism in the industry, if there was anything that would ever drive me out of the industry, it’s actually that,” Spencer says. “When a team releases something into the market for … the world to tear it apart on the internet, it’s just such a brave thing for a team to do. I’m never going to vote against any creative team or any product team to do poorly because I have a competitive product. It’s not in me. I don’t actually think it helps us in the long run in the industry.”

Instead, Spencer says it’s more important to focus on how the industry is doing well as a whole. He points to advancements like crossplay — where players can jump into the same games with friends on any console — as ways the company has worked against these tropes of bitter competition.

“But there is a core that just really hates the other consumer product,” Spencer says. “Man, that’s just so off-putting to me ... To me, it’s one of the worst things about our industry.”

You can listen to or read Nilay Patel’s full interview with Phil Spencer here.

Does he know his other interviews are recorded? Does he know the marketing by the team for which he IS responsible for has been console warring at any change they got... and that is recorded too?

He keeps talking out of both sides of his mouth: "exclusives hurt the industry --> signs timed exclusives", "exclusives are bad they exclude gamers --> buys an entire publisher", "we want ALL gamers to play all games regardless on which device they play on --> as long as it is a Windows based PC or a piece of HW we make or it is streamed through our service which will not be available on competing consoles because... reasons...", etc...

MisterXMedia, ColtEastwood, TimDog, etc... all regularly kept in the loop and well fed. Greenberg still console warring every chance he gets and he still in his position, etc... Is he so desperate to WIN against PlayStation on everything by any amount that he is racing Jim Ryan for the "STFU Award 2020"?

I like how in this picture the only console I can spot is an Xbox... nice stock photo choice TheVerge... :LOL:.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Games get critiqued like any other entertainment medium. Don’t know why he’s bitching and moaning. Can’t stand the heat then get the fuck out of the kitchen

Seriously! The fans of the Yankees don't like Red Sox fans. Laker fans argue with Clipper fans all day! In Europe Man U fans argue against (whatever that L team name is) the other fans. It's just part of life. And for the most part it isn't that bad.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Absolute douchebag. Feeds it when he think it’ll benefit his brand, decries he when he thinks it won’t.

Can’t believe people like this cunt, I really can’t.

I never get angry at XBox fans, but when it comes to assholes like this feeding their console war frenzy, that’s another thing entirely.
Where's your evidence.

teezzy

Banned
This guy just oversaw the launch of a new console without a single MGS title to go alongside it, with even developer tools not ready for the next gen either (apparently). What's he been doing for the past 3 years? XB1 output has been poor in that time.

Its crazy honestly, like what first party titles even came out for XB1 this year apart from Ori? Bleeding Edge?

NickFire

Seriously! The fans of the Yankees don't like Red Sox fans. Laker fans argue with Clipper fans all day! In Europe Man U fans argue against (whatever that L team name is) the other fans. It's just part of life. And for the most part it isn't that bad.
Glad you gave yourself an out with the most part throw in. We both know the exception to your general rule are the Yankees fans. They are just the worst. :messenger_sunglasses:

Crm114

Both companies thrive over the console wars the dialectic is what keeps consumers and players emotionally engaged . This is just some pr fluff to sound good. Advertisers and marketers know that the best way to sell shit is to tap into human nature so the tribalism is actually great for their business.

What does this mean?
Fix this for you.

There is nothing wrong with what Phil said and there is plenty of blame to go around when it comes to console fanboys. The idea that it's just the Sony people who are being harassed by the mean Xbox people is laughable. Since Sony is the bigger player in the console space and if you think they make the best games why do you even care what Phil or anyone at Microsoft says? Enjoy your 'superior' console.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Maybe because we aren't allowed to say as much as we used to. So its just a bit of release no matter how silly it can be.

Elios83

LOL hypocrisy at its best.
His team and their marketing constantly tries to feed their most toxic fanboys with what they want to hear for console war reasons and with the help of their shills in the gaming press they have tried (and failed hard) the FUD card against the PS5 for what...9 months?
Now they don't care :messenger_tears_of_joy: he should just stop pretending to be a good guy while his company constantly proves to be doing the opposite.

Dabaus

Banned
“That tribalism in the industry, if there was anything that would ever drive me out of the industry, it’s actually that,”

Reading between the line here, it sounds like if Xboxes situation doesnt improve then phil will call it quits. Not sure where that would leave xbox seeing as phil seems to be the only person at microsoft pushing for gaming. Imagine them buying all these studios just to call it quits because phil leaves gaming. He also sounds sort of aggravated that people arent buying whats hes selling, literally and figuratively. MS spent billions for this comeback narrative to play out and they may end up, at best, in the same position theyre in now.

Last edited:

I actually agree with him(which is rare, not a fan of his lol) on the whole console war tribalism shit being corny..Specially since I typically try and play/own all platforms and get annoyed going on reddit/gaf/other forums for good talk and constantly run into the "my box is better than your box" fights lol

But this photo you posted....that shit is scary and they look like a fucking cult. So much diabetes in one room :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I mean I totally agree with him.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut if he has stoked console wars in the past, this makes him a total douchebag.

AKA "It's cool if we're the ones dunking on other gaming companies, not the other way around".

And of course the ones engaging in this thread are the exact ones Spencer is referring to. Some 4d chess there Phil, triggering them all at once.

I think we're all in agreement that (if) he has stoked console wars in the past, this makes him a massive hypocrite.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
I think what Phil is unhappy with is that so many people are so loyal to PlayStation and Xbox can't seem to pull them away no matter what he does. That's what he actually means by tribalism. If the opposite was true, he wouldn't be saying this.

This, more than anything this is what Phil is venting here without saying it. The fact that hes expressing leaving the industry if it doesnt gets better is pretty telling. MS just set 7.5 billion on fire so phil can walk away in a few years when xox gets outsold 3:1 again.

lock2k

Banned
I actually agree with him(which is rare, not a fan of his lol) on the whole console war tribalism shit being corny..Specially since I typically try and play/own all platforms and get annoyed going on reddit/gaf/other forums for good talk and constantly run into the "my box is better than your box" fights lol

But this photo you posted....that shit is scary and they look like a fucking cult. So much diabetes in one room :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Where is this photo from? It's cringe as fuck :messenger_tears_of_joy:

mckmas8808

This guy just oversaw the launch of a new console without a single MGS title to go alongside it, with even developer tools not ready for the next gen either (apparently). What's he been doing for the past 3 years? XB1 output has been poor in that time.

This is the true question I'd like Phil to answer. The last 1.5 years of the Xbox One generation was slow and then to start the Series X|S generation slow too (in both games, software tools, and now physical hardware with the APU chip) seems awfully bad. Where was the let down?

mckmas8808

“That tribalism in the industry, if there was anything that would ever drive me out of the industry, it’s actually that,”

Reading between the line here, it sounds like if Xboxes situation doesnt improve then phil will call it quits. Not sure where that would leave xbox seeing as phil seems to be the only person at microsoft pushing for gaming. Imagine them buying all these studios just to call it quits because phil leaves gaming. He also sounds sort of aggravated that people arent buying whats hes selling, literally and figuratively. MS spent billions for this comeback narrative to play out and they may end up, at best, in the same position theyre in now.

Dang you make such a good point in parsing that sentence Phil gave. Why would console tribalism even get close to driving Phil out of the industry? That's such a weird statement to make if everything is going well for the company that you are running.

I mean.......Jerry Jones would never sell the Dallas Cowboys due to "Sports Tribalism".

Iced Arcade

Normally think you are wrong but... Guess this time you are right.

Lol

00_Zer0

No console tribalism here. I'm mostly a PC gamer. I now own a Switch and a PC and at some point I may own a PS5 or XBox Series X for select exclusives if they can't be found on PC. Right now I am not worried about the two newest consoles on the block, because they are too expensive and have a small library.

Top Bottom