• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox have really knocked it out the park with the Series S imo

Aurelius

I gave it some more thought, and this really is the perfect console for me for the next couple of years. I just have to let go of the mindset that a console should last 4-5 years. I can play the latest releases on my 1080p TV. Some of them even for free through Gamepass. I also can play a couple of older games that I missed out on using game pass. Excited about diving back into the Xbox ecosystem. I left for Sony after the 360.

DavidGzz

Imagine if Nintendo or Sony came out with this tiny powerful console for $299. The reception would be unanimously positive. Idk what MS does to garner so much hate. Anyway, this thing is very attractive. I don't even know which I want more. The power of the XSX is awesome but that form factor on the S(like half the size of the PS4) and the fact that most of my gaming is done on a 1080p monitor...I hope DF/NX gamer,etc can give us some impressions so that I can make my decision.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know what to make of it, yes the price is pretty sweet but I want to see the games first.
I'm not a serious day&night gamer, my gaming time is precious and limited and I definitely have the funds to feed this habit so my question is why in the hell would I buy this instead of the PS5 + upgrade my PC for those games I want to experience on PC or strategy games which don't run on the PS5?

Of course, I'm not the target market of this console, but many would fall into this
If you "definitely have the funds to fead this habit" then the Series S shouldn't really cross your mind, it's not for you. This is for people on a tight budget and for those it's insane value when you include Gamepass, literally unparalleled.
If moneys no issue for you, Jack up you PC and call it a day. Sony have already said thier exclusives will come to pc in the future.

I think it's such a great value and I'm so tempted to get one even though I have no reason to. I'll be upgrading my PC with a 3080 and even then my current rig destroys either Xbox.

But the value is so incredible! If I was a casual gamer, or a parent buying for my kid, I think the S with gamepass is an unbeatable value. I think it's going to be a hit

Last edited:

chonga

Is anyone else not very surprised by the pricing of this model?

I feel like they've done some give-and-take with most of the components such that when you compare to the One X and what that typically cost before it was discontinued here it kind of... is about right?

It is GDDR6 instead of 5, but there's less of it and it performs worse. Potentially not much cost difference there.
The die size is much smaller, so a big saving there. But we've thrown in a high performing SSD. So there goes our savings.
We've beefed up the CPU, but we've chucked out the optical drive.

And so on.

To me it is like 'what if we took the One X and didn't care about the 4k part, how would we architect that to get similar overall computing performance, but with a better balance, and chuck that optical drive out while we're at it'.

I feel like you're getting a similar raw performance console to the One X (but with better output due to balance and efficiencies) for a similar price to the One X, and so, what's the big shock on price?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Is anyone else not very surprised by the pricing of this model?

I feel like they've done some give-and-take with most of the components such that when you compare to the One X and what that typically cost before it was discontinued here it kind of... is about right?

It is GDDR6 instead of 5, but there's less of it and it performs worse. Potentially not much cost difference there.
The die size is much smaller, so a big saving there. But we've thrown in a high performing SSD. So there goes our savings.
We've beefed up the CPU, but we've chucked out the optical drive.

And so on.

To me it is like 'what if we took the One X and didn't care about the 4k part, how would we architect that to get similar overall computing performance, but with a better balance, and chuck that optical drive out while we're at it'.

I feel like you're getting a similar raw performance console to the One X (but with better output due to balance and efficiencies) for a similar price to the One X, and so, what's the big shock on price?
I don't think there's a shock on price but now that its real and not just a rumor its more of the thought of, nice cheap box with a decent cpu and if you r'e aren't to bothered about resolution its worth considering even as a 2nd box for PS5 and XSX owners.

Synless

It only looks worst to someone with limited knowledge of how new tech works.
Sure. And you did a fantastic job explaining the pros. Im confident I understand tech well enough. The Series S isn’t impressive When compared to the already released Xbox one X.

DonJorginho

Banned
I gave it some more thought, and this really is the perfect console for me for the next couple of years. I just have to let go of the mindset that a console should last 4-5 years. I can play the latest releases on my 1080p TV. Some of them even for free through Gamepass. I also can play a couple of older games that I missed out on using game pass. Excited about diving back into the Xbox ecosystem. I left for Sony after the 360.
Dutch people always talk the most sense, the reason Amsterdam is my favourite holiday destination 🤝

One feature that just occurred to me would be cool is if a current owner of X1/X1S/X1X could essentially use that older system as a hardware disc check to enable the new Series S to download and play the digital version of the game. Since they're enabling more than one system sign in per gamer tag in the latest OS updates I would think this is doable. Maybe not a big deal to some people but I can imagine for many who don't sell or trade in their old systems it would be a nice perk to sort of allow the use of disc based games on the discless S.

lachesis

Well, to me at least, it looks like series S is more like a GTX 1660 of console system, which specifically excels in 1080p performance.

Lack of RAM size do concern me, but I don't know how assets scale by resolution (besides texture size, which should be pretty linear) - but 7.5GB (from leaked Lockhart profiling rumor, which pretty much matches current S specs) seem a bit too small.

Then again, I have no idea what RAM usage is like in any given moment. How much RAM's used for textures, and how much is used for other things. Heck, I'm not even sure where that slow (52 GBs) bandwidth 2GB RAM would be allocated for use... maybe sound and OS?

But since it also shares same velocity architecture from Series X, along with the same speed SSD... and it literally has less RAM to fill in any given moment at faster speed too... so that may play as a factor too?

Obviously I'm not a tech guy, so I am interested in how this "scaling" would work in real life. I mean I understand lowest common denominator part. In consoles, a lot of the times it was about the whole setup - but this time around, it seems it's much more controlled & with lesser boxes to check. It's got pretty powerful CPU, so maybe things would be a bit different, but we will see when it releases and when devs start to talk about it more openly, after they get their hands on.

Although I frequent forums, keep up to date with news etc., I don't play TOO much and would say I'm more a casual gamer. But I have a 4K OLED so not sure which is best to go for, considering the amount I play but the TV spec I have

Top Bottom