• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Studios - 2021 and beyond

pasterpl

I couldn't find a thread like this;

343 IndustriesHalo Infinite, 2021
The CoalitionGears 6(?), 2022/23
Compulsion GamesTBA, TBC
Double Fine ProductionsPsychonauts 2, 2021/ Next Project TBA, TBC
The InitiativePerfect Dark, 2022
inXile EntertainmentAAA Steampunk Project, 2023/24
Mojang StudiosMinecraft
Ninja TheoryHellblade 2/2022, Project Mara/2023
Obsidian EntertainmentAvowed, 2023
Playground GamesForza Horizon 5/2022, Fable/2022
RareEverwild, 2022
Turn 10 StudiosForza 8, 2022
Undead LabsState of Decay 3, 2022
World's EdgeAge of Empires 4, 2021
Arkane StudiosDishonored 3, 2023
BethesdaTES6/2022, StarField/2021(?), Fallout 2023 (?)
id Softwarenew Doom game 2022, Quake reboot 2023 (?)
Machine GamesWolfenstein 3 2023, Indiana Jones 2023 (?)
RoundhousePrey (2023)
TangoTBA/TBC

Potentially (some assumptions based on rumours and assuming that Zenimax deal will close without issues) there might be between 25-30 games being developed by Xbox Games Studios, most are AAA projects and all will be GamePass Day 1.

pasterpl

Only Halo Infinite, Psychonauts 2 and Age of Empires 4 for 2021?

Should’ve launched the console next year instead and used to extra time to improve the specs.
Seems like first party output will be limited in 2021, but ms secured some exclusive deals; The medium just launched, we will get the ascent, stalker 2, cross fire x campaing ( by remedy), scorn, the gunk, flight sim and couple more (all should arrive before halo infinite)

Fredrik

Seems like first party output will be limited in 2021, but ms secured some exclusive deals; The medium just launched, we will get the ascent, stalker 2, cross fire x campaing ( by remedy), scorn, the gunk, flight sim and couple more (all should arrive before halo infinite)
And nothing will truly take advantage of the hardware. I’m disappointed. Now that I’ve finished The Medium I’m back at using the XSX for improved BC and RetroArch.

magaman

Banned
And nothing will truly take advantage of the hardware. I’m disappointed. Now that I’ve finished The Medium I’m back at using the XSX for improved BC and RetroArch.

To further complicate things, they can't even build experiences that take full advantage of the XSX. They have to build games to meet minimum requirements of XSS, then scale everything up. PS5 is going to dominate this era.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Hd Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

magaman

Banned
Didn't take long for Sony trolls to turn this into a console war thread.

That's why I mostly stick to the main xbox thread.
Sony trolls? How is anything I said, outside of my opinion that PS5 is going to dominate this era (spoiler: it already is), trolling?

Bubble yourself up, cupcake. It's gonna be a long generation of you sticking your head in the sand if you can't take very basic criticism of your preferred console.

Only Halo Infinite, Psychonauts 2 and Age of Empires 4 for 2021?

Should’ve launched the console next year instead and used the extra time to improve the specs.
And Psychonauts 2 is on PS5 too.

If you want to count Bethesda as Microsoft first-party, they have two more 2021 games - Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo. 🤣

Last edited:

Fredrik

To further complicate things, they can't even build experiences that take full advantage of the XSX. They have to build games to meet minimum requirements of XSS, then scale everything up. PS5 is going to dominate this era.
My take: Everything comes to PC, PC will dominate this area and devs will scale down to consoles, goes for 1st party as well as multiplats.

Fredrik

Yes let Sony run up a 20-30 million console lead before launching I'm sure that would of worked out lol. Starfield could launch this year.
They will get a big lead anyway, would be better to come out of the gate with some super polished 1st party games and a clear hardware advantage than what we have now.

FritzJ92

This goes against what digital foundry recently said of PS5 limiting the Series X...

Riky

$MSFT
I'd hope for a Quake reboot before another Doom game, also I can't see Forza Horizon and Forza 8 launching in the same year, either one comes this year or they are 2022/2023

ivan.k

You have no idea what you're talking about. Developers are not scaling up for better specs, they make games for them and then scale down for low spec machines. XSS is not holding back high end consoles.

Last edited:
Flight Simulator for me is the type of game that I'll buy a console for
No 3rd person or first person by the books game warrants a new console purchase but if flight simulator runs well on series x for me that's a system seller

pasterpl

TES6 in 2022 LMAO
Fallout 2023

HAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA

thats why I added these ? There . Also wasn’t tes6 announced in 2018? This would make it 4-5 years development time

Mr Hyde

Stoked for Psychonauts 2. Loved the first game, I even platted it despite it not having aged that well (it's actually pretty terrible today). The sequel looks really good from the gameplay clips DF been sharing. Kinda curious about Ghostwire Tokyo too, albeit I'm not a fan of the first person view. But it is Tango so I'm probably gonna give it a shot. Gonna miss those two studios once they go full MS exclusive. Good acquisitions, should spice up the variety in Xbox lineup.

I'm worried for gears 6. I loved the gears 5 campaign and had a lot of fun with it, but it needs something... different... to set it apart and propel gears back into the limelight.

Either a HUGE graphical showcase or a very personal gritty moving story. The gameplay was fantastic tho

CANNOT wait for Halo Infinite and Psychonauts 2

Last edited:
I'm worried for gears 6. I loved the gears 5 campaign and had a lot of fun with it, but it needs something... different... to set it apart and propel gears back into the limelight.

Either a HUGE graphical showcase or a very personal gritty moving story. The gameplay was fantastic tho

I don't want gears to be different, that is how franchises get ruined. If I see gears 6 then I expect it to be gears of war and not something else.

pasterpl

I like all the release date windows pulled out of your ass.

Just estimating that AAA production takes 3-5 years and then looking at when the last release by these companies happened plus when first rumours about each title starter to surface. There is some logic behind these dates, nothing is obviously confirmed.

thats why I added these ? There . Also wasn’t tes6 announced in 2018? This would make it 4-5 years development time
No, because they admitted they hadn't even begun development on it at that time. Hell, it's still not certain how much work they've even started in it now.

Greeno

And Psychonauts 2 is on PS5 too.

If you want to count Bethesda as Microsoft first-party, they have two more 2021 games - Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo. 🤣
Aksstually, technically speaking, the game was announced for the PS4, not the PS5. So.... You know.... console war statements and stuff...

Last edited:

Hudo

Compulsion GamesTBA, TBC
Mojang StudiosMinecraft
RareEverwild, 2022
RoundhousePrey (2023)
TangoTBA/TBC

Potentially (some assumptions based on rumours and assuming that Zenimax deal will close without issues) there might be between 25-30 games being developed by Xbox Games Studios, most are AAA projects and all will be GamePass Day 1.
I hope so, man.

pasterpl

We were talking about Elder Scrolls.
Sorry got confused, but didn’t bethesda said that in 2018 tes6 was in pre-production?...ignore I have found the quote

Howard backed that up a little further into E3 2018, saying that The Elder Scrolls 6 is in pre-production, while Starfield is currently playable. "We can't wait to have everybody be able to play this game," he said. "But that's us, too. We want to play it."

jakinov

Seems like every Xbox event for the last 10 years they plaster these huge signs with all their developers and games in development, but almost nothing comes of it but mediocrity or games that never release.
I don’t think they ever really showed off their developers before 2-3 years ago and I don’t recall them doing what you describe with their games. Of course they are going to keep advertising that they have coming down the line these events are for promoting what they are doing and have coming.

Greggy

I have hardly seen a bigger graphical showcase than Hivebusters to date. That game looks too good to be true on an OLED. And butter smooth 60fps.
I'd say keep it up for Gears 6 and improve on an already pretty good story.

Sorry got confused, but didn’t bethesda said that in 2018 tes6 was in pre-production?...ignore I have found the quote

They're not going to start full production for ES6 until after Starfield, which makes it 2023/4 at the minimum and that's assuming Starfield is out this year.

Hezekiah

Banned

Compulsion GamesTBA, TBC
Mojang StudiosMinecraft
RareEverwild, 2022
RoundhousePrey (2023)
TangoTBA/TBC

They need more AAA games soon, can't see Perfect Dark or Gears 6 coming next year.

Also that Polygon article from earlier summed it up for me:
Snatching up titles from studios big and small helps distinguish Microsoft’s output from that of Sony. But in the long run, its best bet might end up leaning into being the “Netflix of video games,” including games that might not be the grandiose, big-budget exclusives of the past, but which are a tempting way to fill an afternoon or two just because they’re so easily accessible. While we wait for Halo Infinite, The Medium is right there.
I've looked at the GamePass library and there's just too much filler for me to be interested in it, and I'm not looking for a host of AA games to play in my limited gaming time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom