• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase July 23 - Ready to get back to work Chief?

Are you ready

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Redlight

Not at all. I see your doing damage control but it isn't working. I had gamepass for one month play gears mp which was OK but all those games was not enough to keep my Xbox on.
It's amazing value and that value is only going to increase across the next generation.

I really don't care if you have Gamepass, like it, or what you think I may be doing,
I'm sorry to break it to you, but your preferences, strange as they are, don't dictate what's good value.

Luckily for the rest of us.

This was the second conference that Microsoft hyped up and then fucked up. I was hoping they had learned from the first time...

They announced two really big AAA 1st part games with Avowed and Fable. Everwild looked great as well if u ignore that we don't know what it is yet. That alone makes this event better than any of the past MS events for the past 5 years.

And to be honest, sonys wasn't much better. I'd say it was about even despite the Halo Infinite drama and lack of gameplay. Neither event show much gameplay.

Redlight

They announced two really big AAA 1st part games with Avowed and Fable. Everwild looked great as well if u ignore that we don't know what it is yet. That alone makes this event better than any of the past MS events for the past 5 years.

And to be honest, sonys wasn't much better. I'd say it was about even despite the Halo Infinite drama and lack of gameplay. Neither event show much gameplay.
Mostly agreed except I don't think Sony's was any better. In the end most reasonable people will probably think that they're both great, or both shit.

To be fair this show was a LOT better than the last one... and there is still one to go in August.

They've got one more shot at turning this around in the public's eye.
True, very true.

I think they can turn it around in the public eye, they've got the resources to do it, i just don't know if the management has the ability

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Mostly agreed except I don't think Sony's was any better. In the end most reasonable people will probably think that they're both great, or both shit.

While I do not think Sony’s was amazing by any stretch, I think if almost everything you’re showing is an announce trailer with not much in engine or in game, and your competition shows much more in engine or in game, It’s going to come off that one showing is built on promise of things very far off. Easy to say which is going to go over well and which like a lead balloon to most.

If the goal were to sell Gamepass, it should be promoted as such. If it is to sell hardware about to launch, it was a poor show.

Sorcerer

I just saw this morning that every game Microsoft showcased in their most recent event can be pre-ordered on Steam. Is there really any reason why I would want to purchase and actual Xbox console? If I didn't want to do that I can get gamepass for pc. I don't quite get Microsoft's strategy here.

pixelation

The Halo excuses after Phil and Greenberg said thy feel confident after Sony presentation are monumental. Add to tht the know it alls tht are quiet now tht said "developing for the lowest denominator (as in Xbox one) won't affect the games because next box is a beast" is even more satisfying. Ppl be taking L's daily and still making excuses.

What happened to the trillion dollar company tht can do anything? Or the "next box is stronger" or "Halo will reedemm" when will you ppl finally hold Microsoft accountable for a decade and more of mediocrity and stagnation? 🤔
NEVAH!, they never will. The same people that were claiming that cross-gen wouldn't hold back XBSX games are now defending Halo's laughable graphics because... they're cross-gen.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The same people that were claiming that cross-gen wouldn't hold back XBSX games are now defending Halo's laughable graphics because... they're cross-gen.
lol, if this is directed at me then I can say one thing: I've never claimed cross gen wouldn't hold XBSX back. I just know how to read between the lines of marketing gibberish. Halo looking like it does was expected, unless you bite for everything a PR person tells you.

pixelation

Avowed was CGI no gameplay at all, Fable was a CGI trailer no gameplay at all, Everwild... Rare is still experimenting and trying to find out how it's actually gonna play!

Sony's was waaay better, quite impressive if you're able to lie to yourself to the extent that you believe that Sony's and MS's events were just about equal.

faisalasif

Finally New God of war coming to xbox series X run at 4k 60fps with Ray tracing

Whats-App-Image-2020-07-26-at-4-38-56-PM.jpg

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
Avowed was CGI no gameplay at all, Fable was a CGI trailer no gameplay at all, Everwild... Rare is still experimenting and trying to find out how it's actually gonna play!

Sony's was waaay better, quite impressive if you're able to lie to yourself to the extent that you believe that Sony's and MS's events were just about equal.

Both were crap.

Mozza

Social media is huge and a good indication of the casual fan, and if the general thinking of Xbox is seen as negative that is a massive blow to Xbox. When the mass market goes to see "which console looks the best option and it's games" and they see most of the comments opinions trashing Xbox, they will go the other direction. It also doesn't help that Xbox is the underdog with much less name value. Every time they have a bad showing it hurts them more than PS. The casuals that have no loyalty will usually go with the bigger name. Especially if they see everything about Xbox on social media getting ripped apart

This is still no indication of what will happen when the consoles eventually get released, as it's very tough to predict what will sell and what will not, I would wager that very few people would have predicted that the Xbox 360 would share the market with Sony after their modest impact with the initial Xbox console, or any other console success for that matter, and I do think we tend to put far too much stock into things like this.

mejin

The Halo excuses after Phil and Greenberg said thy feel confident after Sony presentation are monumental. Add to tht the know it alls tht are quiet now tht said "developing for the lowest denominator (as in Xbox one) won't affect the games because next box is a beast" is even more satisfying. Ppl be taking L's daily and still making excuses.

What happened to the trillion dollar company tht can do anything? Or the "next box is stronger" or "Halo will reedemm" when will you ppl finally hold Microsoft accountable for a decade and more of mediocrity and stagnation? 🤔

it is a fuckn sonic cycle. This time of the year is this show of excuses since 2015 when MS and Spencer started to promise the best e3 ever, best lineup in Xbox history...never really delivered.

They abandoned Xbox One to focus on the new gen while Sony continued to launch goty contenders every single year.

That is to put some context to how lame this event was. 2020 has been awesome to ps4 and sony put a solid show to ps5 reveal. They mocked and provoked as always and the crazy thing is when those announcements in CG finally launch on XSX, sony will probably have the second, third wave of ps5 games coming.

They will never catch up at this rate. It will be a beast machine just like Xbox One X and nobody will care cause the craziest games will be coming from sony first party studios.

Abear21

Banned
The public decides and reacts to what these companies with unlimited resources put out. As consumers, it’s our right and duty to call companies out when they don’t deliver. To assume Halo will be fine after seeing that show and not speak up would be doing Halo fans and the Xbox brand a disservice.

Alanah not being able to sleep without having to defend a multi-billion dollar company or thinking fans have gone to far is hilarious. The real fans deserve and expect better than what we saw.

Never said they weren;t cgi. I said MS announced them and they're two major exciting AAA exclusives in the works. Are you butthurt over that or something?

Sony's wasn't waaay better. They hardly showed any gameplay either. Cry some more. I'm more excited for MS future stuff than i am of sony's at this point.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I remember this hyping me up the first time I saw it. The Infinite gameplay was only a fraction of that feeling.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
They definitely foster and pribavky pay Schills like Timdog to spread fud, propoganda and hype up their brand. No doubt in my mind lol

Sony doesn't have to pay their shills, they have a cult-like following that makes Apple jealous and they are more than willing to do it for free.

Sony

Nintendo
I just saw this morning that every game Microsoft showcased in their most recent event can be pre-ordered on Steam. Is there really any reason why I would want to purchase and actual Xbox console? If I didn't want to do that I can get gamepass for pc. I don't quite get Microsoft's strategy here.

Well, you just explained Microsoft's strategy. You have the choice of buying their console, buying their published games on PC or subscribing to a service that let's you acces the game. Either way, they get revenue.
It's a smart strategy, especially given the fact that they will never outsell a Sony console. Their biggest problem is the messaging. I could explain the benefits of their model much better than they have now, and that's a problem.

Last edited:
i'm actually amazed that I might not get an XseX this fall, this conference sold me on PS5 if anything, was an absolute joke this entire thing was. Halo Infinite..it's shocking MS signed off on showing that after reviewing their footage, it's embarrassing how bad that looked, like OMG.

my thoughts are that GamePass is creating a library of crap games now. They are all about GaaS now on Game Pass, just release a shell of a game and update it on game pass over 3-5 year life cycle, people don't care because 'it's free on game pass', sorry MS, I don't care if it's free, I want a complete game at launch especially when we're talking about flag ship titles like Halo.

We now know for sure they aren't showing us Halo at all because there is nothing to show. The game is likely going to ship like Halo 5, barebone features, and I bet this time the campaign won't even be completed. Likely they will release DLC's as chapters you purchase like Hitman 2, the game isn't even open world, it's little segments of open areas you unlock. WHAT A JOKE
Get rid of 343i already, they are so so bad at making AAA games, they can't make a single good halo game in 10 years, OMG

ZywyPL

Banned
Their biggest problem is the messaging. I could explain the benefits of their model much better than they have now, and that's a problem.

Is it? I think their messaging is crystal clear - play anywhere, anytime, on everything, just because there is a bunch of Sony fanboys who deny it because it doesn't fit their console (sales) wars narrative doesn't change shit, the gaming world doesn't end with Gaf, REra etc., far from it - how many times you the same old lame excuse "casuals this", "casuals that"? Well those "casuals" is where the majority of the gaming audience is, they are the reason we saw so strong focus on motion controls, they are the reason there is such a strong focus now on media streaming, and they'll decide the outcome of the upcoming generation, whether the fanboys like it or not.

Top Bottom