• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase Announced for June 11 before the Starfield Show

Hype check time!

• Phil won't let us down, he always delivers!

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • It won't be difficult to surpass the Sony shitshow in any case.

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • Phil my boy, this is your last chance of redemption.

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • It will suck, can't convince me otherwise.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • First-party stuff only or bust!

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
nVRSpci.jpg

gN1DLe6.jpg

Just kidding I'll take a floor seat
bHBSDMc.jpg

Gorgon

MS is letting them make whatever the hell they want. I love that.

And with a big increase in budget to boot. They never had such production values available to them before. Same for inExile, Ninja Theory, and especially Undead Studios. Bethesda is the exception in that regard.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Do they need any introduction?

EhutYlbUcAEo9UD.jpg

Kings of cRPGs

Lol no. Larian is the current king of CRPGs. Much of the talent that made obsidian’s best rpgs left the studio long ago. The writing from outer worlds and grounded is remarkably worse than anything they used to do. Deadfire was pretty bad as well. Tyranny was mediocre and blatantly unfinished.

Buggy Loop

Lol no. Larian is the current king of CRPGs.

2 games worth of mention?

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

Much of the talent that made obsidian’s best rpgs left the studio long ago.

Show me the receipts. If it’s Avellone, don’t even bother

The writing from outer worlds and grounded is remarkably worse than anything they used to do. Deadfire was pretty bad as well. Tyranny was mediocre and blatantly unfinished.

Grounded? Dude, there’s more than one team and they are exploring more than RPGs. What the hell does grounded even have anything to do with this discussion?

For the rest

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
2 games worth of mention?

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

Show me the receipts. If it’s Avellone, don’t even bother

Grounded? Dude, there’s more than one team and they are exploring more than RPGs. What the hell does grounded even have anything to do with this discussion?

For the rest

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

Yes Avellone and many others as well. He especially was better than any of their current hack writers. You can easily check for yourself with looking at current employee list of Obsidian Entertainment via Linkedin and other sites and compare to the credits of previously released games. You are a big boy, I have faith that you can do that much on your own

As for two games? I literally listed their last 4 titles as being poorly written. For an rpg that is the most important part of the game. Even taking grounded out of the discussion that is still the last 3 rpgs they released of poor quality. Doesn’t inspire confidence.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Yes Avellone and many others as well. He especially was better than any of their current hack writers.

"and many others.."

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Avellone was writer for PoE & Tyranny, which you just shat on.

Josh Sawyer: Project Director, Lead Designer, and System Designer (Still there)
  • Prior to New Vegas, Josh would be most well known for being a designer on Icewind Dale, and the Lead Designer on Icewind Dale II and Neverwinter Nights 2. Since New Vegas, he has directed both Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, and is currently working on an unannounced title at Obsidian. He did not work on Outer Worlds other than providing feedback occasionally due to his role as the Studio Design Director for Obsidian. Made Pentimemt.

Scott Everts: World Building Lead (Still there)
  • A Technical/Level Designer on Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, and Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Scott would leave the defunct Interplay Entertainment in 2004 to join the newly formed Obsidian Entertainment. Here he would be a designer on Kotor 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2, before becoming the World Building Lead on Fallout New Vegas. Following New Vegas, his name does not pop up again until the release of The Outer Worlds, where he was one of 10 different Environment Artists that worked on the game.

Charlie Staples: Area Design Lead, Lead Level Designer (Still there)
  • After New Vegas, Charlie would act as the Level Design Lead on South Park: The Stick of Truth, the Systems Designer on the cancelled Armored Warfare, and the Design Director on The Outer Worlds

Project director/Lead designer/System designer - World building lead - Area design lead/Lead level designer are still there from new Vegas team (and new vegas alone) with many other peoples but these are key peoples. Programmers come and go in any projects.

In the meantime, Obsidian has gained legendary peoples such as Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky, two key peoples behind Fallout 1 & 2, Arcanum, Temple of elemental evil, Vampire the masquerade bloodline. Jason Anderson who was with the same duo above is back at inXile (so Microsoft, could switch team whenever)

Divinity original sin has amazing gameplay, the story is relatively bland (sourcerers? really?) and filled with 4th wall breaking tongue in cheek humor with over the top companions that feel like caricatures does not make it immersive or engaging. DoS2 was a lot better story-wise but still meh. They have good game mechanics, that's about it. Most peoples are fearing what they'll do in BG III.

Pentiment alone proves there's more story talent and narrative driven focus left at Obsidian than any other devs out there.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

It was fantastic! My few criticisms come with Forza continuing to look like the most generic racer, Hellblade continuing to fail to show any real gameplay, and a lot of titles coming in 2024 - but the new games they showed off looks great! Clockwork Revolution was amazing! The South title looks interesting. StarField is everything I want in a new Bethesda RPG and its NasaPunk aesthetic is perfection for me. Lots of amazing third party showcases too. Also Sea of Thieves Monkey Island? Hot fucking damn! Avowed looks like a lot of fun as well - just gotta see if it's writing is any good.

Easily best presentation they have ever had IMO! And so much better than awful PS Showcase.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Given your post history with Starfield, this seems more like ‘fervent wish’ than ‘prediction’.

I like to play good games and I like space, so I’d be thrilled if you’re proven wrong.
There is literally nothing on my recent post history regarding starfield?

Top Bottom