• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass PC launched Windows Store

Mohonky

I've had this error before, but its here again. Trying to play anything from Windows Xbox Game Pass on PC launches the Windows Store.

I have no idea how many 'fixes' I've tried, but it's been what, 2 yrs Xbox Game Pass has been on PC and this is STILL happening. Does anyone know what the actual issue is or what the fix is? It's driving me insane......

>Windows Store

In Pain GIF by MOODMAN

GHG

Gold Member
Mohonky Mohonky If it's trying to launch gaming services via the windows store when you attempt to run a game via the Xbox app then I had exactly the same problem a few days ago:

I got gaming services working again one windows update, registry edit and restart later so I could get my windows store games working again. This is the fix in case anyone is wondering or ends up with the same issue.

So step 1 is make sure your windows updates are completely up to date.

Then follow the steps outlined in the answer in the link.

Last edited:

Croga

GHG said:
I got gaming services working again one windows update, registry edit and restart later so I could get my windows store games working again. This is the fix in case anyone is wondering or ends up with the same issue.

This is spot on advice, I had the same thing happen last weekend, had to completely remove all reference to Gaming Services and perform a fresh install of it before I could get it working again.

Reactions: GHG

Mohonky

Mohonky Mohonky If it's trying to launch gaming services via the windows store when you attempt to run a game via the Xbox app then I had exactly the same problem a few days ago:

So step 1 is make sure your windows updates are completely up to date.

Then follow the steps outlined in the answer in the link.
Trying now, I have been into Windows in the Settings and clicked to make sure Windows Updates are all done, following the steps in the instructions now

Edit. Nope. It tries to install Game Services; goes to install then throws a message at me telling me my Xbox needs to be turned on or in instant on, despite the fact I have never used or had an Xbox.

Mohonky

Got it.

Went to uninstall Game Services app via settings menu in Windows, couldn't uninstall as it was greyed out.

Instead went to Advanced Options; scroll down, Repair, then Reset.

Gears 5 booted straight away after

GHG

Gold Member
Trying now, I have been into Windows in the Settings and clicked to make sure Windows Updates are all done, following the steps in the instructions now

Edit. Nope. It tries to install Game Services; goes to install then throws a message at me telling me my Xbox needs to be turned on or in instant on, despite the fact I have never used or had an Xbox.

That's really strange...

Glad you got it working again though.

I can't believe that after all this time the windows store continues to be an inconsistent piece of crap. They should just get gamepass on Steam and be done with it, all the games are there now.

Top Bottom