• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass now has over 18 million subscribers

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think GP is solid my only issue is with a certain crowd of folks pretty much advocating that people stop buying games altogether lol.

If it's a game I want to own (the Yakuzas), I buy it. If it's just something I want to play but not necessarily own (The Medium), I just play it on GamePass.

I don't know how that's so threatening to some people.

18 million consumers paying 120$ a year means 2160.000.000 $. Besides, xbox sells more games than ever, increasing 51% this year. that´s a lot of money to share

Saying that Microsoft doesnt know how to make money is... well not very bright

Saying that every consumer from those 18 mil. subs spend 120$ in a year is not very bright too.

The $1 offer is just a trial. You have to actually pay for the service beyond that.

Game pass ultimate consumers pay 180$ a year, not 120$. I´m using common sense, so not 180$ each but 1$ neither

You know that there is a monthly sub. Not everyone buys GPU every freaking month. LOL. Depends what subscriber wants to play. So, again :

Saying that every consumer from those 18 mil. subs spend 120$ or 180$ in a year is not very bright too. You don't using common sense

Also, some people wants to play singleplayer games, why buy a Ultimate if there is a cheaper version.

Last edited:

KingT731

If it's a game I want to own (the Yakuzas), I buy it. If it's just something I want to play but not necessarily own (The Medium), I just play it on GamePass.

You have to look at the entire picture. But I don't think anyone is truly threatened by it

cosmicom

Banned
Well, you trying to overplay Gamepass numbers, especially in everyone buying sub every month throughout the year, so, you failed totally. But keep going. Do what you do best

Phil Spencer:
---"The 15 million registered Game Pass users we have announced are the ones that are subscribed right now. When we announced it, we were referring to 15 million people who pay their monthly fee to enjoy the service. The figure did not refer to all users, but to those who were subscribed at the time."----

GhostOfTsu

Banned
$5 is GPU deal for 3 years. $181/36 months
Even the 180$ for Gold is inflated. The GPU promo started in June 2019 and at the time it was easier to stack Gold for half-price at Costco, Walmart or CDkeys. Mostly around Black Friday/Christmas but there was always good promos for Gold.

I always had at least 2 years of Gold stacked since the early 360 days.

Phil Spencer:
---"The 15 million registered Game Pass users we have announced are the ones that are subscribed right now. When we announced it, we were referring to 15 million people who pay their monthly fee to enjoy the service. The figure did not refer to all users, but to those who were subscribed at the time."----

15 millon pays every month. LOL How the fuck someone can pay monthly sub if bunch of users are subscribed right now and they are subscribed till 2022-23 ( whoever did a XBL conversion to 2-3 year of GPU)
This isn't your day. You are so bright like Phil Spencer who talk out of his ass.

Last edited:

cosmicom

Banned
15 millon pays every month. LOL How the fuck someone can pay monthly sub if bunch of users are subscribed right now and they are subscribed to till 2022-23.
This isn't your day. Your so bright like Phil Spencer who talk out of his ass.
15 million 3 months ago, now 18 million. Next year 30 million? who knows.

FrankWza

Even the 180$ for Gold is inflated. The GPU promo started in June 2019 and at the time it was easier to stack Gold for half-price at Costco, Walmart or CDkeys. Mostly around Black Friday/Christmas but there was always good promos for Gold.

I always had at least 2 years of Gold stacked since the early 360 days.
I know. Trust me. But it’s hard for people to keep up as it is and I didn’t want to add another price point into the conversation. I think too many take it personally because there are a lot of threads and posts they call “concern” threads or posts. This isn’t one and that’s not what I’m doing. Despite the many attempts at double talking and trying to “catch” me. There’s nothing to catch. There’s a bunch of offers to get this service for a REALLY cheap price. And that’s how they’ve managed to go from 10-15-18 million in 9 months and never mention 1 “milestone” number for the previous 3 years.

cosmicom

Banned
I know. Trust me. But it’s hard for people to keep up as it is and I didn’t want to add another price point into the conversation. I think too many take it personally because there are a lot of threads and posts they call “concern” threads or posts. This isn’t one and that’s not what I’m doing. Despite the many attempts at double talking and trying to “catch” me. There’s nothing to catch. There’s a bunch of offers to get this service for a REALLY cheap price. And that’s how they’ve managed to go from 10-15-18 million in 9 months and never mention 1 “milestone” number for the previous 3 years.
If it were for the people who knows how to get games and services for REALLY cheap prize, there would be not gaming business.

The point, very hard to catch for people friendly to tricks, is that very few people search for offers in brazil, they put their cardnumber and pay what they want in the system.

They analyze reality as 18 million subscribers of game pass were their clones.

Last edited:
15 million 3 months ago, now 18 million.

Yes, and? You're proudly quoted Phil Spencer, I've asked you how the fuck someone can pay monthly sub if bunch of users are subscribed right now and they are subscribed till 2022-23 whoever did a XBL conversion to 2-3 year of GPU in 2019 or 2020

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yes, and? You're proudly quoted Phil Spencer, I've asked you how the fuck someone can pay monthly sub if bunch of users are subscribed right now and they are subscribed till 2022-23 whoever did a XBL conversion to 2-3 year of GPU in 2019 or 2020

Not everyone got 2-3 years in the conversion.

cosmicom

Banned
Yes, and? I've asked you How the fuck someone can pay monthly sub if bunch of users are subscribed right now and they are subscribed till 2022-23 whoever did a XBL conversion to 2-3 year of GPU in 2019 or 2020
18 million subscribers doesnt mean that they are your clones and make the same tricks and use the same offers.

Last edited:
Not everyone got 2-3 years in the conversion.
And bunch of people did. There is nothing else to disccuss here about that.
18 million subscribers doesnt mean that they are your clones and make the same tricks and use the same offers.

Surely don't. But don't try to sell me ( or with Phil Spencer quote) that every user buys sub every month throughout the year. Surely of those 18 million doesn't pay a monthly fee ( like Phil Spencer said for those 15 mil.) if they already have 2-3 year GPU sub.

Last edited:

FrankWza

If it were for the people who knows how to get games and services for REALLY cheap prize, there would be not gaming business.

The point, very hard to catch for people friendly to tricks, is that very few people search for offers in brazil, they put their cardnumber and pay what they want in the system.

They analyze reality as 18 million subscribers of game pass were their clones.
I think you’re having an issue understanding and some of us are having a bit of an issue understanding you. Something is getting lost in the translation. I’m not being rude or offensive, I’m just explaining

cosmicom

Banned
And bunch of people did. There is nothing else to disccuss here about that.

Surely don't. But don't try to sell me ( or with Phil Spencer quote) that every user buys sub every month throughout the year.

let´s say there´s

6 million game pass ultimate subscribers: 1 billion cash per year

6 million game pass normal subscribers: 720.000.000 cash

and 6 game pass subscribers with deals: 200.000.000 cash

That´s 2 billion dollars only by gamepass

When I make maths i dont do it as all subscribers are ultimate paying full prize, I´m taking into account users who use tricks.

Last edited:
When I make maths i dont do it as all subscribers are ultimate paying full prize, I´m taking into account users who use tricks.

Reaaaally? Here you didn't. You're the flip-flop guy, aren't ya

18 million consumers paying 120$ a year means 2160.000.000 $. Besides, xbox sells more games than ever, increasing 51% this year. that´s a lot of money to share

Look at steam, playstation games fail, but xbox games skyrocket in sales. Maybe somebody forgot minecraft is the best selling game of history, making tons of money today?

Saying that Microsoft doesnt know how to make money is... well not very bright

Last edited:
So, $181-$180= $1 I just got GP for $1
I this equation wrong? Because that .027 cents a month.
You proved my statement and so can I.

now. 18 million GP subscribers right?
How many are paying one of the 5 or 6 $1 deals that are constantly being offered?
There’s no answer. We don’t know.
Now who’s spreading it? Me or Msoft?
Because as far as I can see you’re defending them for making you frontload 3 years of a service that’s all markup(and is all but a necessity at this point) to subsidize another service that they’re in desperate need to make work. Then they’re yelling “10 million, 15 million 18 million!”
And you’re clapping like they won a championship but you’re accusing me of half truths.

Yo what's poppin Frankie? Frankie!!!!! you like the biggest Xbox fan! I had no idea son. You just can't stop raving about how awesome GP is or STFU about it in ALL GP threads ..slow down, reeeelax you talking to yourself, everyone's hopped on that Medium joint busy playing.

..I feel you and trus, we all know how kick ass of a service GP is, a Gawds gift, I agree, but take a hike for a min sit tha @#$% down and play some Medium on your Xbbbo..ohh shi..wait 🤭🙈🙊

Blade2.0

I have the pass, but probably won't renew it. TBH, most of the games they've got on it aren't that amazing to me. At least not wanting to be subscribed to it. I'd rather just buy them piecemeal when i want to get a game.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I have the pass, but probably won't renew it. TBH, most of the games they've got on it aren't that amazing to me. At least not wanting to be subscribed to it. I'd rather just buy them piecemeal when i want to get a game.

tenor.gif

John Wick

Xbox is winning the race of subscription services by big margin; in few years Google and Amazon will be fighting for second place
You do know Jim Ryan has already said there is something like Gamepass in the works for Sony but today isn't the day to discuss it?
You forget Sony has the games and back catalogue like Nintendo. Sony should be readying a proper GP competitor especially if they load it with PS1-PS5 games available on it. I can a bet a lot of gamers would be on board for that.

DaGwaphics

Perfectly acceptable view. Everyone has their opinion.

fire crowd GIF by South Park

Jemm

There is more to Game Pass than just the paying subscribers. If the people who "game" the system by unsubscribing and using the $1 again and again would be a problem, Microsoft would put a stop to that.

Obviously, they get other benefits from people who are just playing the games. The more people are playing, the more the games gets visibility and thus sales (across all platforms) and more GP subscribers. This way, people who play for "free" help offset those missing profits.

It's a win-win-win situation to MS, game devs and consumers.

Alan Wake

I think the fear is that people will get used to play games without actually having to buy them and that it will effect sales. It's not an invalid concern. I guess it will likely speed up the death of physical media at least, which is something I am personally dreading since I want the games I like on disc.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Shit thats faster than I even predicted.
I was predicting getting to 18 - 20mil only around June/July

No casuals would pay $15/month to play Sea of Thieves or Gears of War instead of playing free to play games like Candy Crush or Pokemon Go, or CS Go, or Fortnite or whatever F2P there is in the future. You are out of your mind.

This aged well.

Gamepass c is 9.99
Gamepass p is 9.99
Gamepass u is 14.99.

Last edited:
Concerned sonygaf is concerned.

MS is one of the most profitable companies on earth, sitting on hundreds of billions in cash.
You're confusing microsoft money with xbox money. Microsoft money is profitable. But if xbox had only its own money they would have bowed out after the 360. Microsoft be NECCING.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You're confusing microsoft money with xbox money. Microsoft money is profitable. But if xbox had only its own money they would have bowed out after the 360. Microsoft be NECCING.

What are Xbox Divisions profits?
And why would we discount a division of a larger company thats seemingly focused on keeping the division alive?

What are Xbox Divisions profits?
And why would we discount a division of a larger company thats seemingly focused on keeping the division alive?
The reason we discount the division is because if it was to stand on its own merit and profits without being backed by the computer software warchest it would have crumbled in much the same way as the pcfx.

geary

You know that not all products of a company needs to be profitable. Some products can cover the loss of others by halo effect.

Redlancet

Banned

because there is the perception of paying for games is a bad thing,and its getting into a lot of people minds,you dont do that? fine,but thats whats not happening,the same happened to the mobile market,people got used to dont pay for shit,and we know the result

thats why microsoft have shutdowna lot of things over the years?
So you are concerned MS will end the Xbox division? It's been 20 years but I'm sure if you sub to Gamepass you'll help to keep it going. Buying an Xbox would probably help too. Support the platform you love.

Top Bottom