• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass Is The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Gaming

Papacheeks

Banned
Xbox division is Microsoft and when you getting studios like we are business is good. The only question right now is who's next?

You all running out of things to say.

Playstation doesn't muddy their numbers by incorporating it as all one group some like MS does to obscure their numbers. You just posted revenue. Where is net profit? Where is operating costs? And all that does is give percentage compared to how xbox was doing before which was abysmal.

Vasto

Playstation doesn't muddy their numbers by incorporating it as all one group some like MS does to obscure their numbers. You just posted revenue. Where is net profit? Where is operating costs? And all that does is give percentage compared to how xbox was doing before which was abysmal.

You asking me a question when you already answered it.

Here is your direct quote,

" Yea, Microsoft made profit not the xbox division itself. "

So that means you have already seen the numbers or again, this is just more downplay and hate toward Xbox for no reason. Also what Sony does is irrelevant, we know they aint making no money. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You all going to be in for a long gen if you still cant accept the fact that Xbox is doing well.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I must be one of the rare outliers, but I buy a lot of games when there's sales on steam, cdkeys,greenmangaming, psn. Plus there's epic giving a some of games offered on gamepass for free. I own a PC so I don't have access to the backlog xbox console users do. But honestly PC version for gamepass is kind of meh. I have spirit fairer, ori, and carrion installed and thats what I could muster. I recently bought zodiac age for PS4 physical for $20. And recently it was added to gamepass.

I guess it honestly depends on your gaming habits and how you consume content. If you never tried the yakuza's I would literally tell you to sign up for gamepass as they are now all on there. But I already own all of them some on PC and all of them minus Like a dragon on PS4.

There's nothing that sticks out as a "Must play now" type of title. And the backlog of stuff thats mediocre like crackdown 3 I have no intentions of installing. I bought gears 5 on a sale on steam. I literally booted up Medium and it ran like ass even when dropping down a lot of stuff.

If you own an xbox i would say Gamepass is a must honestly. There's just too much available when you count OG xbox, and 360 titles. But for me I signed up for 3 months and I've played only 2 games. Which are indie and have not completed yet.

Yet I am playing God of war on my PS5 for the 5-6th time and enjoying the shit out of it. Shruggs, it's not for everyone.
Steam sales have always been great. I've checked out GamePass on PC, but there are just too many games which don't interest me, and having to buy a host of games not on it, on top of the subscription just isn't good value.

I can easily buy a game every couple of months and that's enough for the amount of gaming I do, and it means I'm playing the games I really want to be playing rather than because it's there.

Vasto

Game Pass is the best thing that ever happened to gaming, but to make your point you have to reference the games.......on Steam?

Confused Excuse Me GIF by GIPHY News
Confused Britney Spears GIF
Ice Cube What GIF

What does STEAM reviews have to do with Game Pass? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

dcx4610

Not a fan personally. To me it's like Spotify, Netflix or listening to the radio. You are letting someone curate your music/movies/video games for you. I know what music/games/movies I like and what i want to own. I'll seek them out, buy them and own them forever.

I guess it's good for people that just like to try a ton of different games or don't really care about owning anything. Nothing wrong with that and it's certainly a great deal but that model is not for me.

Matsuchezz

If this model existed when I was a kid when i had more time to spare playing vg, it could had been awesome, nowadays, in my current way of life, i barely have any time for gaming, but when there is a great game i am interested to play i find the time, for me paying for GP would be a waste, and for the most part I do not like MS own first party games. So the incentive to be subscribed to GP is very low. I usually buy games I am interested to own and I can revisit them anytime i want, and I do not like to feel the pressure of finish a game before it is leaving the service.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
$97 for Ratchet and Clank? That's just said.

I would not even pay $60 for it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Oh that's because it is a PlayStation exclusive, not available on Xbox. So why would you pay $60 for something you can't even play. Your decision makes sense.

You asking me a question when you already answered it.

Here is your direct quote,

" Yea, Microsoft made profit not the xbox division itself. "

So that means you have already seen the numbers or again, this is just more downplay and hate toward Xbox for no reason. Also what Sony does is irrelevant, we know they aint making no money. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You all going to be in for a long gen if you still cant accept the fact that Xbox is doing well.
I'm ready to accept the "fact", but please do share the numbers -- how much profit Gamepass is making, how many Xbox One/X/SX/SS have been sold so far, how much profit the Xbox division has made, etc. -- because I can't find those numbers anywhere.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Nothing at this point?...... Fucking lol

Ahahha... And Mcdonald is the best restaurant...

Really?....
Last time I checked Mcdonald hasn’t made a Michelin star meal....

”It’s not less likely that Bethesda will make an awesome new RPG than that Sony Santa Monica will make an awesome new action game or Nintendo will make an awesome new platformer. They all have a history of making metascore ~95 games

And that’s only one developer. The reality is that there will be a whole bunch of critically acclaimed AAA studios with more people and a bigger wallet than ever before releasing games for Gamepass going forward.

Should we assume that they’ll all start making bad games now? I mean, sure, it could happen...
Or maybe we could assume they’ll continue making great games?

I’m going with the last assumption just like I would with Sony’s and Nintendo’s 1st party studios. And unlike you I also think studios can improve. And I think more third party devs will join the fun as well. It’s going to get wild!

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Really?....
Last time I checked Mcdonald hasn’t made a Michelin star meal....

”It’s not less likely that Bethesda will make an awesome new RPG than that Sony Santa Monica will make an awesome new action game or Nintendo will make an awesome new platformer. They all have a history of making metascore ~95 games

And that’s only one developer. The reality is that there will be a whole bunch of critically acclaimed AAA studios with more people and a bigger wallet than ever before releasing games for Gamepass going forward.

Should we assume that they’ll all start making bad games now? I mean, sure, it could happen...
Or maybe we could assume they’ll continue making great games?

I’m going with the last assumption just like I would with Sony’s and Nintendo’s 1st party studios. And unlike you I also think studios can improve. And I think more third party devs will join the fun as well. It’s going to get wild!
I think one concern is that MS has never properly nurtured studios and helped them achieve more than that they could have. That's the reason none of their first-party studios could compete, so Microsoft instead of nurturing their studios to become great went on a buying spree and bought studios that were very good.

Chances are those good studios will continue making good games (e.g., Arkane, Bethesda, etc.), but based on past records, there is an equal chance that the quality will go down (e.g., could be because of MS's management style, focus on keeping a steady supply of games for Gamepass, etc.).

If a studio works with Sony, we know, based on past records, they will get better and better, e.g., SuckerPunch, Bend Studio, Bluepoint, HouseMarque, Insomniac, etc.

Bioware's acquisition of EA is a shining example of how a studio can easily go down the drain. MS's own Rare is another example.

But I agree with you -- at least for Bethesda studios -- there are more chances of them making a good game than a bad one. But I don't think all these studios will start producing bangers just because they are with MS now. I foresee a lot of hits and misses.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I think one concern is that MS has never properly nurtured studios and helped them achieve more than that they could have. That's the reason none of their first-party studios could compete, so Microsoft instead of nurturing their studios to become great went on a buying spree and bought studios that were very good.

Chances are those good studios will continue making good games (e.g., Arkane, Bethesda, etc.), but based on past records, there is an equal chance that the quality will go down (e.g., could be because of MS's management style, focus on keeping a steady supply of games for Gamepass, etc.).

If a studio works with Sony, we know, based on past records, they will get better and better, e.g., SuckerPunch, Bend Studio, Bluepoint, HouseMarque, Insomniac, etc.

Bioware's acquisition of EA is a shining example of how a studio can easily go down the drain. MS's own Rare is another example.

But I agree with you -- at least for Bethesda studios -- there are more chances of them making a good game than a bad one. But I don't think all these studios will start producing bangers just because they are with MS now. I foresee a lot of hits and misses.
Insomniac was always great. Sucker Punch is a good example where a studio has improved though. And I think this will happen in MS 1st party studios as well. Obsidian, Undead Labs, Playground Games for example are all in an expansive phase and has the potential to really shine going forward. Playground has always been great though but now they’re doing new stuff and it’ll be extremely interesting to see their version of Fable. Obsidian and Undead Labs has essentially had a wallet issue but are now free of that problem. Same goes for many other studios. Ninja Theory for example, they managed to pull off Hellblade with a small group of people at a tight budget. Imagine what they could do now...

Oh that's because it is a PlayStation exclusive, not available on Xbox. So why would you pay $60 for something you can't even play. Your decision makes sense.
Maybe he's like me, I'm buying the PS5 refresh (maybe even a pro?) in '23 or '24 and I'm gonna play R&C either on PS+ or buy it for like 15 bucks max.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Insomniac was always great. Sucker Punch is a good example where a studio has improved though. And I think this will happen in MS 1st party studios as well. Obsidian, Undead Labs, Playground Games for example are all in an expansive phase and has the potential to really shine going forward. Playground has always been great though but now they’re doing new stuff and it’ll be extremely interesting to see their version of Fable. Obsidian and Undead Labs has essentially had a wallet issue but are now free of that problem. Same goes for many other studios. Ninja Theory for example, they managed to pull off Hellblade with a small group of people at a tight budget. Imagine what they could do now...
I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean I definitely want those studios to do great because that'll mean more high-quality games for me to play, but I'm not 100% sure just yet.

Undead Labs games have always been 7/10 at best. Fable will be a 180 shift for PG. I have high hopes from Obsidian (I think they are amongst the most talented first-party MS studios), but MS is handling them terribly. They are currently working on 5-6 different projects: Avowed, The Outer Worlds DLC, The Outer Worlds 2, Grounded, another AA game by a 15-person team, and there are rumors of another AAA game. That is outrageous. Even the best, most experienced studios like Naughty Dog, SSM, and Rockstar do not do this.

Ninja Theory is another I have high hopes from. I think Hellblade 2 will be the first proper AAA 9/10 XSX game from XGS. But it will also be a big step for Ninja Theory. From a very linear AA Hellblade game to an expansive AAA not-so-linear Hellblade game. It won't be as simple to scale (though I hope for my sake they pull it off). Besides, apart from Hellblade, none of their games was considered very good. Lastly, they have the same "problem" as Obsidian's -- they are currently working on Hellblade 2, Project Mara + Project Insight that will also consume their time and attention.

Tl;Dr is expansion is not always easy. SSM tried it and failed. Naughty Dog tried it and failed. Now both those studios learned from their mistakes and trying it again. Insomniac did it quite successfully. It's always sort of a hit-and-miss.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I'm buying the PS5 refresh (maybe even a pro?) in '23 or '24
👊
That’s me too at this point. I planned to have it at launch but apparently Sony decided to not prioritize scandinavia and someone said people on lists might not even get one this year... So I thought, since they don’t prioritize me then fair enough I won’t prioritize PS5. I have a PC, XSX and Switch. I’ll survive. Unless it suddenly sits on a shelf and angels are singing one day I’ll jump in when it gets a bigger SSD or Pro revision instead.
No doubt though, it’ll be a struggle for sure when Horizon and GT7 arrives... But hopefully there are other games to play elsewhere.

Shubh_C63

Not a fan personally. To me it's like Spotify, Netflix or listening to the radio. You are letting someone curate your music/movies/video games for you. I know what music/games/movies I like and what i want to own. I'll seek them out, buy them and own them forever.
I hate this curated shit in everything but games gets a pass from me.

Unpopular opinion, but I have been saying/feeling this for awhile that Steam has tooo many games. Sometimes a walled garden is appreciated. I saw myself checking more games out on Epic Store (cuz they were free yes) than steam.

Gamepass also feeds that FOMO and trying new things. If PSplus made people try new games the GamePass IS one of the very best thing happened to gaming.

I have not subscribed to it.

Chukhopops

$97 for Ratchet and Clank? That's just said.

I would not even pay $60 for it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Here in France, it’s 79€ for one first party game (you can find them cheaper physical, but if you go digital you’re fucked) and 12.99€ for Game pass ultimate per month (if you go for the most expensive way to get it).

You get six months (13x6 = 78) of GPU for the price of one digital, 20 hours long, non resellable game and you still have people trying to argue where the best value is lol.

(Also I loved Ratchet FTOD and Crack in time but the series has really struggled to refresh its gameplay over the years IMO.)

tommib

Post like OP made me buy Series S and regret every second. Not shitting on Gamepass, it's just SS BC being utter shit since it runs Xbox One S versions of games.
This is my big disappointment with series s as well. Makes it feel that it’s less powerful than the xbox one x. Although we know it isn’t.

Some of the replies in here are puzzling. Because you're subscirbed to Game Pass you can't buy or play anything else? Well that isn't the case, is it. Actually, if there's a game on GP you want to own you get a discount for purchasing it as a subscriber.

GP went from being a complimentary service to a primary service for me. I still buy other games, but the days of me spending thousands a year on new releases are OVER. You don't take them with you when you die.

faraany3k

Banned
GP on PC is a mess because of software.

I end up buying individual games on Steam. Hassle free and you can go back and play anytime. EA subscription on PC is much better deal.

Being primarily into physical, none of these subscription based services really say much to me. I understand the convenience some find in them though.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I really wonder how people will respond to Game Pass once they raise the price which they will at some point. To think that Game Pass Ultimate will be $15 forever is idiotic especially if they continue to add services like they did with EA Access as Microsoft is bound to be losing money which is great for consumers but not sustainable. Do I want it to happen? No, but I think it will.
I agree. At this point there’s so many deals to pump up those numbers that it’s technically not even $15 right now. We just don’t know the breakdown.

I'm ready to accept the "fact", but please do share the numbers -- how much profit Gamepass is making, how many Xbox One/X/SX/SS have been sold so far, how much profit the Xbox division has made, etc. -- because I can't find those numbers anywhere.
I’d settle for paying subs which would help get an idea. Especially considering the profitability of gold and the fact they just doubled it.

FrankWza

That’s fucking insulting and you should feel ashamed.

I‘m willing to bet I have bought more games than you since these new consoles released and I pay for Game pass on top of it.

Stop assuming everyone is as poor as you, and projecting.
Why is this so insulting? Doesn’t Microsoft have a “next gen” budget console that caters to this exact customer? Unless the series s isn’t a valid option for gamers?

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Oh, you think I give a shit about console warring?

Oh. My child. You have a lot to learn. Not all of us are slobbering 20 year old console players. You'd to well to keep that in mind in order to avoid further embarrassing yourself.
Well to be fair, Sony does open world and 3rd person action adventure like Bloodborne/Demon's Souls/Uncharted/God of War so that means you hate all Ubisoft output, all From Software souls games, Tomb Raider and BOTW too, right?

Those games are also for children and garbage since they are the same genre and you don't have a bias against Sony?

What games do you play then?

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Well to be fair, Sony does open world and 3rd person action adventure like Bloodborne/Demon's Souls/Uncharted/God of War so that means you hate all Ubisoft output, all From Software souls games, Tomb Raider and BOTW too, right?

Those games are also for children and garbage since they are the same genre and you don't have a bias against Sony?

What games do you play then?
Your comment makes no sense at all. Because I think Sony relies excessively on a cookie cutter template with overrated studios like Naughty Dog, I hate Tomb Raider, BOTW and every Ubisoft game? This is stupidity in the extreme, and I think you know that.

What games do I play? I like a lot of stuff. I'm really into the logistics sims - Satisfactory/Factorio/Dyson Sphere, I like Path Of Exile quite a bit, I love Deep Rock Galactic, VR has been taking up a lot of my time with stuff like Half Life: Alyx, Valheim's been pretty entertaining so far, I loved Doom Eternal, retro shooters like Dusk and Prodeus, and I always have time for a few rounds of World Of Tanks/Warships.

I don't like Sony's overly scripted, cinematic games. I think they are exceedingly boring, interactive movies. Critics love them, and Sony's legion of maniacal followers think they are the apex of gaming. I don't, I think they are for children.

You have a problem with that? I don't give a fuck.

12Dannu123

Microsoft doesn't show profits at a product level even for their most profitable products, (Azure, Office 365 etc) what makes you think that they will do it for Xbox?

I guess it's good for people that just like to try a ton of different games or don't really care about owning anything. Nothing wrong with that and it's certainly a great deal but that model is not for me.

You do know that you get notified when a game leaves the service and you then can actually buy the game with a discount so that you own it, right?

ZimZum

Neo Member
Hey boy, you can't bring news about the gamepass, the amount of salty tears in these topics are over 9000

The best thing that happened to gaming is Sony 1st party I'd say. So many games of the year and 85+ meta games in recent years.

Gamepass is still a nice cheap option for casuals or people who don't have the money to play those games. But I doubt they'll ever reach the same quality level.

Gamepass has the quantity but mostly not the top quality.
That's really condecending. It's not only for casuals or poor people. I am far from casual and I'm not poor at all..... It's a great service.

Mmnow

That's really condecending. It's not only for casuals or poor people. I am far from casual and I'm not poor at all..... It's a great service.
If you really want to break 'em, start off on how Gamepass is for poor people and how it's filled with trash, then mention how PS Now isn't as good.

You'll actually see the blue screen of death in their eyes as they scream "700 GAMES AND IT'S HALF THE PRICE!!!"

The Gamepass hatred is real, even if it's not always logical.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
One really great thing about streaming:

- You don't have to work as hard to sell products. The customer is already paying and ready to meet the game or movie upon release. That means there is drastically less inclination to spoil all the best bits. You don't need to draw people in by spoiling all the best moments.

Lots of people don't seem to know you can purchase any title on Game pass for a discount no less. Any game you purchase stays with you forever. This is nothing like Spotify or Netflix unless those services let you purchase the music and movies. MS developed titles also stay in the service too. Game pass works whether you want to own your games or just play while you are subscribed. There are few downsides.

NickFire

If you really want to break 'em, start off on how Gamepass is for poor people and how it's filled with trash, then mention how PS Now isn't as good.

You'll actually see the blue screen of death in their eyes as they scream "700 GAMES AND IT'S HALF THE PRICE!!!"

The Gamepass hatred is real, even if it's not always logical.
I don't think many people, if any, hate gamepass. I think it is the generic refrain that it is the best deal in gaming (or best thing in gaming history), that people get pissed about. In a couple to few years it might be universally accepted depending on the output quality. But for now a lot of people just see a couple hundred bucks a year in payments to rent last gen games, leading them to argue against the talking point.

devilNprada

I think it is the generic refrain that it is the best deal in gaming (or best thing in gaming history), that people get pissed about.
People totally forget the jump from 32 to 64 bit, but hey; a service costing $15 a month is the best thing in gaming history...

People used to say that when Cable TV first came to town also...

Top Bottom