• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox fans! Are you getting XSX day one, or sticking with another platform?

Are you getting XSX day one, or sticking with another platform?

• Day 1

Votes: 153 60.7%
  • Starting on a different platform

Votes: 27 10.7%
  • I'm going with the Other System~

Votes: 72 28.6%

• Total voters

RCU005

Go play Ninja Gaiden Black in 4K and then come back to shit on “old games”.

I'm clearly not shitting on "old-games" but Ninja Gaiden Black, as amazing it is, and amazing it can look at 4K, 8K or 16K, it doesn't stop being an old game because it was released like 15 years ago.

93xfan

Banned
I respect this decision and mindset, but I don't understand it: Buying a new console to want to play old games? Why?

It's like saying, I'm going to buy a $5,000 PC with the latest and more powerful GPU, CPU, etc. so I can install all my SNES and N64 ROMs!

Like, I get that it's convenient to be able to play an old game when you feel like it. I recently played Okami on my PS3, but to me, a new console it's meant for experiencing new games, and hopefully, games that couldn't be done before.

Many Xbox fans get excited for BC but if you already have an Xbox One, you can already played all the BC games.

Gamepass seems really cool, and I think if I ever get an Xbox, I'll probably invest in a yearly subscription. (at least). I don't know many games for Xbox, but I'd love to try many of them for the price of three in a year. However, I think people don't realize that not all games will be on gamepass, and, while not confirmed yet, they could also remove games from it from time to time (if they do a business model like Netflix).

the BC means I can feel good about getting rid of my old hardware, get to play any nostalgic game with improvements.

the forward compatibility means I can feel good about my new purchases and what this means for gen 10.

Think of it as getting excited about Blu-ray back in 2005. Sure I’ll get new movies and love them, but I also look forward to watching the Matrix and LotR on it.

It’s not BC or new games. It’s both. And just as I got excited for the street fighter arcade collection one year, I was also hyped for brand new Street Fighter 5 content.

Idk we don't even know the prices yet. That being said we already know the Series X is not getting an exclusive Halo game so I'm way less likely to rush out and get one.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I was day and iv'e had a moan about it to myself and thought i'm going to stick to my XBX but when it comes down to it i'll be there day 1.
Same also applies to PS5.

plip.plop

Day one if they're available. I have been saving up my bing points for a while now. I plan on trading them in for MS Store gift cards to essentially get it for free. I currently have 518,312 points $100 gift cards go for 92,000 points.

Tschumi

Waiting for new Nvidia GPU prices. I'm due for an upgrade. If it less than a grand I may consider going for the GPU and buying the XSX if the launch lineups has a few must have games. I was saving for both systems, but the amount i have set aside could net me a very nice upgrade.

OP needs to include PC option.
I thought they might be in the "other platform" section, since i had the idea for this poll on the other thread about "Grounded" on steam.

Bodom78

Not day one for me but it will be my next gen console since have have so many games on the platform already.

DavidGzz

I respect this decision and mindset, but I don't understand it: Buying a new console to want to play old games? Why?

It's like saying, I'm going to buy a $5,000 PC with the latest and more powerful GPU, CPU, etc. so I can install all my SNES and N64 ROMs!

Like, I get that it's convenient to be able to play an old game when you feel like it. I recently played Okami on my PS3, but to me, a new console it's meant for experiencing new games, and hopefully, games that couldn't be done before.

Many Xbox fans get excited for BC but if you already have an Xbox One, you can already played all the BC games.

Gamepass seems really cool, and I think if I ever get an Xbox, I'll probably invest in a yearly subscription. (at least). I don't know many games for Xbox, but I'd love to try many of them for the price of three in a year. However, I think people don't realize that not all games will be on gamepass, and, while not confirmed yet, they could also remove games from it from time to time (if they do a business model like Netflix).

Yeah cause being excited for Forza Horizon 4 in 4k 60fps is equivalent to playing SNES. I never got around to playing it much and I couldn't get that fidelity and frame rate on the Xbox One. It will still be the prettiest racer ever. There are plenty of Game Pass games I haven't gotten around to and they will most likely be enhanced versions. These are just bonuses to the launch games like The Medium, Halo, etc. I've upgraded my PC and played games I wasn't able to max out previously all the time.

Tschumi

I'll be honest, I don't understand the other poll options. We're not Ree here, we can speak in plain language without fear of moderation, you don't have to talk about rival consumer electronics like they're Voldomort.

Off topic, but why is it always Harry Potter with those people? It's like it's the only work of literature they've ever experienced or something.
Sorry mate, what poll option is confusing you?

I'll explain my thoughts:

Originally i wanted to do a binary poll if xBox fans:
- get the XSX day one, despite being able to play it on all the other platforms in the ecosystem
- stick with one of those other platforms

Maybe i wasn't clear enough that those other platforms were limited to the other ones in the xBox/Microsoft game studios ecosystem, should i update it?

I then added in the one that let PS5 fans vote, "Other System", just to furnish more of the people in the forum.

Not sure what you mean about Harry Potter - was that directed at the poll?

Anyway, hope i cleared things up.

turtlepowa

Banned
XSX Day one, because I want the strongest console for 3rd party games. Also i save lots of money with the Game Pass Ultimate for the exclusive games. I'll buy the PS5 someday for 199 bucks (same with PSVR2).

My best explanation is that Microsoft is in the business of being a PC gaming publisher who also happens to make walled-off 'poor-man's PC rigs' for people to sub Gamepass through.

If I were a MS executive I would push for a limited Windows 10 desktop mode through an external HD, with a student-grade MS Office sub included with Gamepass Ultimate. When I was a broke-ass college student I'd sure as hell buy a Series X if I could also do my homework on it if I could also play cutting edge games on it.

I’ll be getting both day 1

I'm clearly not shitting on "old-games" but Ninja Gaiden Black, as amazing it is, and amazing it can look at 4K, 8K or 16K, it doesn't stop being an old game because it was released like 15 years ago.

And what’s the problem with that?

You might have already played NG, or any other game, while other people haven’t, and even there might be people who want to play it once again with improvements.

By the way, how many time should pass to consider a game as “old”? Two weeks? 10 years?

I have a huge backlog of games from this current gen and I would like to play them in the most enjoyable way, so, if XBSX can play every single game from XB1, I will get rid of my XB1X to play those games in my backlog, why would I keep two consoles when one of them can run current gen games and new gen ones?

Honestly, when discussing about this I still fail to see how some people can’t see how good is being able to play games from older gens you they might haven’t had the chance to play on the same system.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, what poll option is confusing you?

I'll explain my thoughts:

Originally i wanted to do a binary poll if xBox fans:
- get the XSX day one, despite being able to play it on all the other platforms in the ecosystem
- stick with one of those other platforms

Maybe i wasn't clear enough that those other platforms were limited to the other ones in the xBox/Microsoft game studios ecosystem, should i update it?

I then added in the one that let PS5 fans vote, "Other System", just to furnish more of the people in the forum.

Not sure what you mean about Harry Potter - was that directed at the poll?

Anyway, hope i cleared things up.

No problem chief, I was just shitposting about Ree, and their inability talk about GAF like grown adults. The HP comment was about the average Twitterazi's inability to conceptualize ideas outside of the realm of Harry Potter terms, as that is often the only form of Western literature they've ever experienced. We are literally "The Forum That Shall Not Be Named" to those psychos.

I figured the last option was PS5, the second option makes sense now. My answer to the poll is that I'm just not into gaming enough to dump $1500 into a PC that can meaningfully beat a XSX.

Yep. Game Pass is too good. Especially because I gameshare with my girlfriend and she typically likes different games than I do.

Plus, in order to get the console cheaper I have been stocking up on xbox gift cards when they go on sale for 15-20% off. So I got $600 worth of gift cards sitting around doing nothing.... no reason not to preorder.

//DEVIL//

Ever since they went to day 1 release with all their games on PC. I decided to never buy an Xbox console ever again. that feeling was abit changed when they annouced the series X thinking it might be very powerful enough to the point i might not need the PC gaming.. but after the first showing and their second showing.... yeah they can fuck off i am sticking with my PC and PS5 this gen.

Nothing i have seen so far can't be played on 1080ti full settings. ( minus the ray tracing which I do not care about ). by the time this console get some decent looking games, the 4080 / 4070 will kick the living crap out of it assuming the 3000 series cards are out this year and 4000 next.

hell the 2080 / super is probably more powerful than the xbox and the console isn't out yet. so yeah. pass

What makes it worse is the fact i have to pay online on xbox when I can play the same god damn game with better graphics on PC with no online pay whatsoever. What a god damn joke this company is man...

At one point Sony was getting stupid too with the release of Horizon on PC. but seeing how that flopped. I highly doubt we will see a big sony first party game any time soon.

Last edited:

RCU005

Honestly, when discussing about this I still fail to see how some people can’t see how good is being able to play games from older gens you they might haven’t had the chance to play on the same system.

I don't believe anyone says that it's not GOOD. I think it's just that people move on and want new things.

Of course it's awesome to be able to play them all in one console, but realistically, it's very hard for Nintendo, Sony and MS to actually bring those games back or even making the compatible on newer systems.

Xbox is doing a fantastic job not just by making games compatible, but also adding stuff like achievements, but that cost a lot of time and money. It's not easy.

Another issue, is that not many people uses BC. I can almost bet that not even 5% of players would use it. I reckon having all those new features make people want to try the games on Xbox, and you'd probably find that more people use it, but I don't think it's enough, and that's the sad truth.

Right now I'm playing Banjo Kazooie on my PC, and instead of thinking how I wish I could be playing it on the Switch. It got me to want two things:

1) Get an actual Nintendo 64 and the games to play it and other games.
2) A remake! Why hasn't Microsoft remade Banjo Kazooie? WHY?

I don't believe anyone says that it's not GOOD. I think it's just that people move on and want new things.

Of course it's awesome to be able to play them all in one console, but realistically, it's very hard for Nintendo, Sony and MS to actually bring those games back or even making the compatible on newer systems.

Xbox is doing a fantastic job not just by making games compatible, but also adding stuff like achievements, but that cost a lot of time and money. It's not easy.

Another issue, is that not many people uses BC. I can almost bet that not even 5% of players would use it. I reckon having all those new features make people want to try the games on Xbox, and you'd probably find that more people use it, but I don't think it's enough, and that's the sad truth.

Right now I'm playing Banjo Kazooie on my PC, and instead of thinking how I wish I could be playing it on the Switch. It got me to want two things:

1) Get an actual Nintendo 64 and the games to play it and other games.
2) A remake! Why hasn't Microsoft remade Banjo Kazooie? WHY?

This is one of the features you will find on PC, you can play games from decades ago on your shining new system, and that’s because of the platform.

Being able to play “older” games means being able to play those games you missed, or you weren’t able to complete, or play them once again if you find replaybility on any of them. That adds value to a platform, some might think it’s not that important, but it really is.

On PC you carry your own Steam/Epic/Origin/whatever store library with you when next-gen components are released, or even when a new Windows version is released, why wouldn’t that be possible on consoles when nowdays they rely so much on the manufacturer’s online store? What about the spent money? What about if the old platform is no longer supported by the online platform so it is not possible to download the games you “bought”?

It is an importan feature and it should be available to all platforms, not only PC

MrMephistoX

I have a One X so as long as games continue to work and Streaming holds up I’m just holding off for the more powerful version in 2-3 years. Debating even getting a PS5 at launch since I still need to beats a few exclusives on PS4.

DavidGzz

I'm also getting both consoles even if it's a mistake as far as PS5 is concerned. I want it mostly to play last gen games in higher def/fps and with better load times. I think I will end up playing Demons Soul's and then it will collect dust for a while, the same way the PS4 did after Bloodborne, as their blockbuster games take forever to develop. But whatever, as a huge game fan, I need it all.

DavidGzz

Shocking how many people are buying a next gen console to play last gen games at slightly better resolution/frame rate.

It shouldn't be on an enthusiast forum. Why did the PS5 Pro and Xbox One X sell to people who already had the previous model? Besides, the current gen games being enhanced is a bonus. Spiderman definitely isn't enough to spend $500 but I'm crazy like that.

This year, im sticking with One X and PS4. Next year, im getting PS5 with Horizon 2 and RnC RA.

Series X when i see gameplay from Avowed, Fable, Everwild and next Initiative game.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I’ll be getting it during the launch window because of a huge discount from Microsoft rewards

Mmnow

Shocking how many people are buying a next gen console to play last gen games at slightly better resolution/frame rate.
It's not an either/or situation. As an adult. I haven't had time to play every game I want to play. Now I can. Same with PS5, and hopefully there are enhancements there too.

That doesn't stop me from buying and enjoying new games.

Either way, I don't trust anybody who doesn't like the idea of MGS3 with HDR and other potential improvements. "It's an old game" just doesn't cut it.

Tschumi

I'm also getting both consoles even if it's a mistake as far as PS5 is concerned. I want it mostly to play last gen games in higher def/fps and with better load times. I think I will end up playing Demons Soul's and then it will collect dust for a while, the same way the PS4 did after Bloodborne, as their blockbuster games take forever to develop. But whatever, as a huge game fan, I need it all.
You seem pretty certain that a PS5 is more than likely to be a mistake - what've you seen to feel that way?

T-Cake

I'm really torn. Depending on how much XSX is per month on the All Access scheme, I might be tempted. But I'm also very intrigued to see what Lockhart actually is and actually does.

Sticking with my Xbone X for the foreseeable future, and hoping to get a second one for the bedroom soon. Nothing about the PS5 or new Xbox (I don't even know its proper name) have shown me anything new.

Wizz-Art

I'll get the XSX day one as I allready have a Game Pass Ultimate subscription it will be glorious to play current gen games enhanced and better then ever, I'm very curious to see the new HDR implementation at work.

Not attached to my Xbox buddies anymore and they kind of replaced me anyways because I'm not there 24/7 farming boring GaaS games. Will go PC again, always had me happier.

Alx

I'll stick with my launch Xbone for some time I guess. I may be tempted by a SeriesS for the spec upgrade (assuming it exists), which would be enough for my 1080p TV, but I don't have any major reason to hurry (I already ignored OneX for those reasons).
The only thing that could make me jump to next gen earlier is if there was some new quality of life feature exclusive to it, but for now it seems to be mostly "more of the same, but more powerful" (as a matter of fact rather "less of the same", since we're losing HDMI in and kinect).
Oh and I don't really consider myself an Xbox fan, but I've been a faithful Xbox user since the beginning.

Last edited:
Probably day 1. Graphics upgrade, no loading times, halo, and my huge collection of games. Plus, better controller imo. And xcloud.

I usually get a PS and Nintendo console too.

Many PS5 exclusives have started coming to pc with all the dlc after a few months...Xbox gamepass games are there day 1. Overall, PC makes console exclusivity sort of a wash outside of a few games. No reason to worry just too much about exclusives.

So, Xbox first, and PS down the road, and PC for when I want to do mods or play in my home office instead of the living room.

LokusAbriss

Longtime Xbox player, but I might go with a PS5. I bought and sold a PS4 slim for DS. I would like to play TLOU 2, Spiderman and GoT, but not on old hardware. If I change my mind later, I can easily sell it anyway.

XSX might follow next year. No Forza at release and I dont need 4k patches, because Horizon and so already run at 4k on my One X.

Danttte

Banned
I have no reason not to get one day one. All Access + 1 external SSD. And there's no need to buy games. I never thought I would say that about a gaming device.

Top Bottom