• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Expected to Gain Console Software Market Share over PlayStation & Nintendo By 2026

ReBurn

Gold Member
if Microsoft still unable to capture market after all these acquisitions, they should quit the gaming industry.
Ncaa Football Please GIF by ESPN College Football
I Hope Please GIF

Time has changed since then.

People now have friends lists and achievements they are attached to.

Yeah times have changed.. Microsoft weren't buying publishers for 70b back then. Alot of things have changed since then. Who knows what the future holds?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
For a dev it's better to include a game in a subscription instead of day one, once it already sold all the sales it could, after discounts and price cuts, specially if it has DLCs or MTXs. The exception is if the platform holder chooses your game as one of the few chosen ones out of the hundreds of games released that month to be there day one, and offers a generous enough moneyhat to compensate all the lost sales related to include the game there.
That is if the game is successful in the 1st place. Most games don't see profits, due to covering the cost of the game, logistics of the disc production, shipment, and store cut. Each platform has its own sales.

Devs on other hand, get a guaranteed money from subscriptions. That money could be higher than what game makes.

For example, if a game did 3m sales, then you need to break it down for each platforms. Since PC and PS have much bigger userbase, compared to xbox, xbox will have smaller sales. Or split of 40%/40%/20% on total sales (since Ps and Xbox split is 2/1, and pc has 120m steam users, which is 2/1 split).

At 3m sales, xbox will sell 600k copies. At $60 price, they will get $36m. That leaves them with $26m after the 30% cut.

If MS gives them 25m to put it day1 on the service, and allows them to sell the game on the service without 30% cut, they could gain $25m+ 100k copy sold (6m). A total of $31m. That is if they are successful on their 1st year.

Subscription services would generate them alot of money. Which is much guaranteed, than wishing for the product to hit alot of sales.

If GP or any other subscription would dominate the market, it would mean that most devs would go bankrupt because in the current market dominated by sales of games and addons, hundreds of games get released every month and are profitable. But that reduced to a few per month would mean all the other ones would die.
Most devs go bankrupt, because they depend on their games being successful.
Not every game hits success mark. Battlefield 2042 is a clear example, how an expensive game, can bankrupt your company.
Even in the current context if subscriptions grow too much they will remove time of players spent on bought games, meaning less games sold.
you are stretching this too far.

Riky

$MSFT
It's pretty obvious this will be the case, MS have made smart forward thinking decisions that other companies are scrambling to react to now. Gamepass and Series S being two of these, when the likes of Call Of Duty are hitting Gamepass day one then the balance has changed forever, we'll start to see it all more clearly when Starfield launches later this year.

FrankWza

Crazy that we went from "XBox has no games" to market leader in the blink of an eye. Crazy. 🙃
What did they add that they weren’t supposed to be getting already? It’s addition by subtraction. They take away, so their share grows. And they hitch their wagon to the pc install base. The people chose, over and over for 25 years and generation after generation. They chose PlayStation and Nintendo.

kingfey

Banned
What did they add that they weren’t supposed to be getting already? It’s addition by subtraction. They take away, so their share grows. And they hitch their wagon to the pc install base. The people chose, over and over for 25 years and generation after generation. They chose PlayStation and Nintendo.
These console have a long head start compared to xbox.
Ps1 existed on age, where xbox didnt exist. Ps2 sold 150m, when xbox was starting as a baby.

Nintendo is bigger than those 2. Considering the numbers they put out with their consoles.

Its not really a comparison. Its like saying apple computer can get the same market share as windows pc.

FrankWza

These console have a long head start compared to xbox.
Ps1 existed on age, where xbox didnt exist. Ps2 sold 150m, when xbox was starting as a baby.

Nintendo is bigger than those 2. Considering the numbers they put out with their consoles.

Its not really a comparison. Its like saying apple computer can get the same market share as windows pc.
PlayStation had less of a lead or somewhat similar to what Nintendo had when PlayStation debuted in time and console generations. Plus, when PlayStation debuted there were other console makers around as well. On top of that, no company came into the console business with as much financial backing as xbox. They’ve been outmaneuvered for decades by smaller and shrewd companies. Now they’re bulldozing their way into acquisitions and they still need the pc install base, need to discount their subscription service for years and need to take franchises away from their competitors instead of creating new IPs. Despite having more resources than most companies on the planet.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
PlayStation had less of a lead or somewhat similar to what Nintendo had when PlayStation debuted in time and console generations. Plus, when PlayStation debuted there were other console makers around as well. On top of that, no company came into the console business with as much financial backing as xbox. They’ve been outmaneuvered for decades by smaller and shrewd companies. Now they’re bulldozing their way into acquisitions and they still need the pc install base, need to discount their subscription service for years and need to take franchises away from their competitors instead of creating new IPs. Despite having more resources than most companies on the planet.
That is not outmaneuvered.
Xbox had 0 presence in Europe, when Sony was cruising around.
They were lucky, that Sony messed up with ps3, or else MS would have played catch up during that generation.

The major difference between the 2, was that Sony had established marketing, While MS was building that market. Xbox one showed clearly, how MS were not prepared for a long term competition.

Also having more resources means nothing, if you dont have connections to the industry. MS passed tons of great deals. One of the worst deals were not buying Sega.

The 2nd Sin was not getting Gta 3 exclusive deal.

Then there was the missed opportunity to buy Bioware.

Luck was not on their side during those time.

reksveks

Did DFC give the long term console growth going into 2026?

Trying to do their estimate growth numbers per platform holders

Sony = (39/43*X)^1/5
MS = (27/20*X)^1/5
Nintendo= (34/37*X)^1/5

If it was 22% growth over 5 years (4% Annual Growth), we would get

Sony = 2.05% annual growth
MS = 10% annual growth
Nintendo = 2.3% annual growth

If it was 58% growth over 5 years (8% Annual Growth), we would get

Sony = 7.4% annual growth
MS = 16% annual growth
Nintendo = 7.7% annual growth

From CY21; we have
Sony: 8.94%
Xbox: 17.74%*
Nintendo: -5.752%

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Microsoft needs to release some actual blockbuster games first, then maybe…just maybe.

coming from a proud green rat, but cmon ms. I had this series x since day one, bought the halo special edition series x and a series s. Got gamepass bursting out my ass and bought another subscription for my son…..gimme the good shit, then you deserve some extra market share…..

if there isn’t a flood of games next year I’m gonna be disappointed.

kingfey

Banned
Microsoft needs to release some actual blockbuster games first, then maybe…just maybe.

coming from a proud green rat, but cmon ms. I had this series x since day one, bought the halo special edition series x and a series s. Got gamepass bursting out my ass and bought another subscription for my son…..gimme the good shit, then you deserve some extra market share…..

if there isn’t a flood of games next year I’m gonna be disappointed.
MS tends to go banger on holidays.
This e3, might give us a glimpse of what is coming next year.

Swift_Star

Banned
starship-troopers-paul-verhoeven.gif

Compete in what ? Game Pass wasn't around 10 years ago.
And? They couldn’t compete either way and that is not chancing now.
It's pretty obvious this will be the case, MS have made smart forward thinking decisions that other companies are scrambling to react to now. Gamepass and Series S being two of these, when the likes of Call Of Duty are hitting Gamepass day one then the balance has changed forever, we'll start to see it all more clearly when Starfield launches later this year.
too much reliance on CoD. When it doesn’t set the world on fire, what will the excuse be?

Swift_Star

Banned
Have you seen how much Vanguard is selling?
That is a bad COD, and it's still selling like hot cakes.
so? It’s more likely a game fills its void than people buying Xbox for it. And CoD will keep being multiplat as already stated multiple times, so that point is moot.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
so? It’s more lilkey a game fill its void than people buying Xbox for it. And CoD will keep being multiplat as already stated multiple times, so that point is moot.
Marketing.
Call of duty doesn't have to be exclusive to push xbox at all.
Having call of duty Marketing means, tons of publishers will flock to your service.
And when you have that series on gamepass day1, you will see tons of casuals flocking to xbox.

That is what Xbox need to push the sales of their consoles.

Making it exclusive won't really do that much push.

Swift_Star

Banned
Marketing.
Call of duty doesn't have to be exclusive to push xbox at all.
Having call of duty Marketing means, tons of publishers will flock to your service.
And when you have that series on gamepass day1, you will see tons of casuals flocking to xbox.

That is what Xbox need to push the sales of their consoles.

Making it exclusive won't really do that much push.
That’s a pipe dream and you know it. People aren’t buying Xbox and gamepass for CoD only. It’s not going to happen, but you’re free to believe that.
It’s likely that CoD will lose its relevancy more and more over the years.

kingfey

Banned
That’s a pipe dream and you know it. People aren’t buying Xbox and gamepass for CoD only. It’s not going to happen, but you’re free to believe that.
It’s likely that CoD will lose its relevancy more and more over the years.
You are seriously underestimating the power of that game.

kingfey

Banned
More likely you’re overestimating it. The game will keep being multiplat. I said what I said.
The game being multiplat means nothing.
The marketing is what MS will get. Having Call of duty name be associated with Xbox, makes it more attractive to casuals.

so? It’s more likely a game fills its void than people buying Xbox for it. And CoD will keep being multiplat as already stated multiple times, so that point is moot.
That's not realky accurate.

What evidence suggests that anything will even remotely fill that void? When the CoD partnership went from Xbox to Playstation, the playerbase followed platforms. But now for whatever reason, you speculate that when CoD goes the other way, that players will simply abandon CoD. In order to stick with the platform that has basicalky no other multiplayer offerings, and mo track record of being able to produce any. Instead of going to the one that has that in abundance.

You are correct about the point being moot though. At least until the end of next year. At which point it could be anything but.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Software sales?

I'm curious how they think this...

Are they counting GamePass? If so... are they also counting Gamepass PC as sales of software?

With the straight sales figures we get updates on the regular, I can't see it.... (GFK, NPD etc)

You don't buy games through GP, so probably not?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe you don't, but plenty do. Why not take advantage of the discount?

Ah right, there's a discount part. Sure, those would be counted I guess, just like PS+ discounts. I thought he was talking about the games you "get" through the subscription.

Last edited:
Ah right, there's a discount part. Sure, those would be counted I guess, just like PS+ discounts.
Is that not what you were referring to?

I mean, people buy games through Gamepass the same way they would through PS+ I imagine. I just imagined both would be included.

Hezekiah

Banned
And? They couldn’t compete either way and that is not chancing now.

too much reliance on CoD. When it doesn’t set the world on fire, what will the excuse be?
The next few iterations of CoD (at least) will be multiplatform anyway.

Sales are likely to fall on the Xbox platform due to GamePass, and if the next iteration(s) doesn't get great reviews/carry much hype it will just encourage some to try it for a month or two on the service and not buy it.

kingfey

Banned

Sales are likely to fall on the Xbox platform due to GamePass, and if the next iteration(s) doesn't get great reviews/carry much hype it will just encourage some to try it for a month or two on the service and not buy it.
Man, have you seen the current COD?

BlackTron

I did expect MS to gain market share, I didn't expect a thread on it with a title that made it sound like much more than that.

I did expect MS to gain market share, I didn't expect a thread on it with a title that made it sound like much more than that.
That's pretty much my thoughts as well.

It's obvious that MS is doing work to gain marketshare. So I fully expected that work to result in increased marketshare.

Will it result in Xbox having the largest marketshare, or destroying Playstation? Not in a million years.

ManaByte

Gold Member

You’ll get MW2 and Warzone this year on PS5. There‘s no 2023 COD. PS5 will continue to get Warzone updates, but if you want to play Black Ops VI, you’ll need a Gamepass device.

Top Bottom