• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Expected to Gain Console Software Market Share over PlayStation & Nintendo By 2026

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I mean, it would be funny to watch how fanboys would measure why Sony would be better if it happened.

But Microsoft could only dominate Sony in a fantasy world. Never gonna happen.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
monophy.gif

Goalus

Why would developers want their revenue and their potential freedom of choice what to develop capped by the handicap called GamePass? MS dev mass exodus imminent in the future. Monkeys should stay.
Isn't Game Pass an additional business model that extends the pool of established distribution channels (physical, digital, free-to-play, GWG) that developers can choose from? I.e. the opposite of a handicap because it gives them more freedom of choice?

The_Mike

Why would developers want their revenue and their potential freedom of choice what to develop capped by the handicap called GamePass? MS dev mass exodus imminent in the future. Monkeys should stay.

What were you trying to say? no matter how I try to read it it makes no sense.

Do devs give up their freedom to make their games and earn on their dlc because of games?

You mean, like the cut Sony and Microsoft takes when you sell something on their platform?

People are really spinning gamepass. This guy thinks that if someone released their game on game pass then Microsoft have a schematic for devs that says make the game as shit as possible.

Game pass is really living rent free in some people's mind. It's just a matter of time before the same people gets into an asylum because of the fear lol.

I mean, it would be funny to watch how fanboys would measure why Sony would be better if it happened.

But Microsoft could only dominate Sony in a fantasy world. Never gonna happen.

I wouldn't say never. People would have said the same thing during the PS2 era but look what happened. I know they sold about the same in the end but 360 took alot of marketshare from Sony. They definitely dominated them in the US. PS3 was getting its ass kicked.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I wouldn't say never. People would have said the same thing during the PS2 era but look what happened. I know they sold about the same in the end but 360 took alot of marketshare from Sony. They definitely dominated them in the US. PS3 was getting its ass kicked.

Time has changed since then.

People now have friends lists and achievements they are attached to.

WitchHunter

What were you trying to say? no matter how I try to read it it makes no sense.
Good, then just skip the comment. No need to understand the garbage it conveys : D. I just don't get ppl sometimes. Someone throws a banana with stripes before them and they try to find out why it's a striped banana... bonkers.

Do devs give up their freedom to make their games and earn on their dlc because of games?
How did this thought formulate in your mind?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I wish they would include PC because MS has gamepass there as well and that is another way they can get market share from Sony and Nintendo.

PaintTinJr

I am sorry, but this take is crazy.

Have you seen xbox before Phil took in? Their in-house studios was shit. Guy increased those studios to 15. Then bought bethesda to make it 23. And now they are owning Activision Blizzard, which puts them at 32 studios.

That is a major change for xbox.

But the biggest however, is MS backing Xbox.

Playstation is having their success, because Sony backed that division. MS didn't really invest heavily on xbox, until Phil took in.

And as for games, we always tell you guys. It Takes time. Most of their acquired studios finished making games. And since games take too long, they won't see any of their games for a while. That is just common sense.

The real issue is MS not investing on their studios during OG xbox, and x360. Xbox one would have had games by now.
As far as I could see Microsoft invested heavily each time in 3 distinct project strategies one decade at a time, and the lack of content was in the years between one project funding drying up and the next project funding finally getting diverted to core game development, and each time they were given massive budgets - virtually limitless at the initial inception of Direct - X - Box project IIRC.

Their joining the market budget - to be no.1 - seemed to taper off a few years before Kinect, where it was obvious they were relying mostly on 3rd party games - but still looks like around 10years of a project.
Their second Kinect/MediaTv budget seemed to end a few years before xCloud/Gamepass but probably funded the Xbox1 -rather than the Xbox division itself - hence the mandatory Kinect and TV features that stayed for 5(?) years, with the One X being a salvage situation - but again looking at the timelines looks like roughly a 10year project for ROI.
The current Gamepass/xCloud project that probably funded the Series S and XsX (for both console and cloud server use IIRC going by CU arrangement in the APU) was probably due to taper off funding in the next few years, but because the project is now fully integrated into Windows, and Phil's title has been upgraded to all Windows gaming, openning the door to 10s of Billions in publisher acquisitions, Microsoft now look like they aren't just spending big in cycles, but that Xbox gamepass gaming is core to their entire business, like PlayStation has been for Sony since the PS2 launch.

So my overall point is that it is weird to say MS weren't investing in Xbox, when they've probably outspent PlayStation + Nintendo combined for 25years, just they haven't had the ROI, and have needed new initiatives to keep them in the business and the lag between project funding hasn't resulted in good investment in development of studios to get organic growth of new AAA games for Xbox IMHO.

kingfey

Banned
As far as I could see Microsoft invested heavily each time in 3 distinct project strategies one decade at a time, and the lack of content was in the years between one project funding drying up and the next project funding finally getting diverted to core game development, and each time they were given massive budgets - virtually limitless at the initial inception of Direct - X - Box project IIRC.

Their joining the market budget - to be no.1 - seemed to taper off a few years before Kinect, where it was obvious they were relying mostly on 3rd party games - but still looks like around 10years of a project.
Their second Kinect/MediaTv budget seemed to end a few years before xCloud/Gamepass but probably funded the Xbox1 -rather than the Xbox division itself - hence the mandatory Kinect and TV features that stayed for 5(?) years, with the One X being a salvage situation - but again looking at the timelines looks like roughly a 10year project for ROI.
The current Gamepass/xCloud project that probably funded the Series S and XsX (for both console and cloud server use IIRC going by CU arrangement in the APU) was probably due to taper off funding in the next few years, but because the project is now fully integrated into Windows, and Phil's title has been upgraded to all Windows gaming, openning the door to 10s of Billions in publisher acquisitions, Microsoft now look like they aren't just spending big in cycles, but that Xbox gamepass gaming is core to their entire business, like PlayStation has been for Sony since the PS2 launch.

So my overall point is that it is weird to say MS weren't investing in Xbox, when they've probably outspent PlayStation + Nintendo combined for 25years, just they haven't had the ROI, and have needed new initiatives to keep them in the business and the lag between project funding hasn't resulted in good investment in development of studios to get organic growth of new AAA games for Xbox IMHO.
MS invested in the wrong things, which led to xbox one fiasco, while neglecting important investment.
Xbox from OG timeline to Phil taking the mantle, they had small devs putting out content for the console. Instead of actually investing in those studios, expanding them, and buying more studios, they throw their money at useless stuff like the kinetics.

Their investment was geared toward TV, once Xbox one was revealed.

Overall, the lack of coherent investment hurted the xbox brand.

Goalus

Wonder what the dreamers will say when/if Starfield is delayed to next year.
I could see that happening unless it is in really great shape already. I don't think it would be a problem though if it means that the game is in better shape at launch.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

MS invested in the wrong things, which led to xbox one fiasco, while neglecting important investment.
Xbox from OG timeline to Phil taking the mantle, they had small devs putting out content for the console. Instead of actually investing in those studios, expanding them, and buying more studios, they throw their money at useless stuff like the kinetics.

Their investment was geared toward TV, once Xbox one was revealed.

Overall, the lack of coherent investment hurted the xbox brand.
But what was their alternative? Without those projects Xbox would have been shuttered, because investors didn't see it making a ROI on any of those projects and probably weren't able to buy into the bigger Windows picture.

Direct - X - box was always a defence strategy of MS owning PC gaming by default from Windows' market share, and them seeing how Sony could have it all, and displace them via PlayStation 1 success and the TV/electronics, where convergence meant PCs were going to be in everything at some point - like they are today, hello android watch with linux kernel. Despite it being really poor for gamers being told "next year" over and over for exciting games, MS have indirectly gained so much from xbox. Has it been good for gaming? who knows? but the $2T company probably has very few complaints.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Are you insinuating MS will gain market dominance from GP? 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

No I'm replying to the post quoting the big ass slide and talking about competing with "all this".

🤷‍♂️

edit: or are you talking about the starship troopers gif ? Not quite sure.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Direct - X - box was always a defence strategy of MS owning PC gaming by default from Windows' market share, and them seeing how Sony could have it all, and displace them via PlayStation 1 success and the TV/electronics, where convergence meant PCs were going to be in everything at some point - like they are today, hello android watch with linux kernel. Despite it being really poor for gamers being told "next year" over and over for exciting games, MS have indirectly gained so much from xbox. Has it been good for gaming? who knows? but the $2T company probably has very few complaints.
If Sony didn’t try to market the PlayStation 2 as computer in the beginning (hell the official name of the console is the PlayStation 2 Computer Entertainment System), then they wouldn’t be dealing with a hungry MS today. They taunted a sleeping giant.

Zeroing

Banned
But what was their alternative? Without those projects Xbox would have been shuttered, because investors didn't see it making a ROI on any of those projects and probably weren't able to buy into the bigger Windows picture.

Xbox brand made MS seem cool. Without it younger people would not care about MS. They MS are the laughing stock of tech news… it’s one mess after the other. Even movies make fun of MS.

With that said, Xbox seems to be cool in America and in gaming forums!

I think everyone should look at the broad picture!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Xbox brand made MS seem cool. Without it younger people would not care about MS. They MS are the laughing stock of tech news… it’s one mess after the other. Even movies make fun of MS.

With that said, Xbox seems to be cool in America and in gaming forums!

I think everyone should look at the broad picture!
MS is the second largest computer company after Apple. What universe are you living in?

yurinka

5 studios => 35 studios? more software sold? who would have suspected
1st party are always a small part compared to 3rd party. And this time they include all their 1st party games day one on GP. So to have way more 1st party studios would help but in this case shouldn't imply a big growth in software sales as the graph in the OP expects to happen.

To see such big software market share increase, before that they should have a similar growth in hardware market share and isn't happening, plus with the chips shortage and specially the monster demand for PS5 doesn't seem that it will happen. The only reason of Xbox getting close in current hardware sales is PS5 being very supply constrained due to the chips shortages.

Last edited:

Kdad

They are spending billions of dollars on software developers...i'd fucking hope they gain some market share (as a share holder). Thats the point no?

sam winchester yawn GIF

Nothing against it, but bullshit numbers all within margins of error in order to keep legitimacy of company if it doesn't happen does not reality make.

Lognor

Banned
I don't know why this analysis is triggering so many people. It's really not that controversial.

The analysis is based on software market share. How many studios has Microsoft acquired in the last couple of years? The Activision acquisition will go through next year. That is a ton of market share growth through acquisition. COD sales alone will have a material impact on software market share, in Microsoft's favor.

ReBurn

Gold Member
this is just making everyone mad for some reason even though the 2026 prediction still shows everyone in the same market position

yurinka

Isn't Game Pass an additional business model that extends the pool of established distribution channels (physical, digital, free-to-play, GWG) that developers can choose from? I.e. the opposite of a handicap because it gives them more freedom of choice?
No, Game Pass is another game subscription. To include it a game there is like to include it on Gold, PS Plus, PS Now etc.

For a dev it's better to include a game in a subscription instead of day one, once it already sold all the sales it could, after discounts and price cuts, specially if it has DLCs or MTXs. The exception is if the platform holder chooses your game as one of the few chosen ones out of the hundreds of games released that month to be there day one, and offers a generous enough moneyhat to compensate all the lost sales related to include the game there.

If GP or any other subscription would dominate the market, it would mean that most devs would go bankrupt because in the current market dominated by sales of games and addons, hundreds of games get released every month and are profitable. But that reduced to a few per month would mean all the other ones would die.

Even in the current context if subscriptions grow too much they will remove time of players spent on bought games, meaning less games sold.

Which are expected to last until 2025, and suddenly the "only" reason is becoming a pretty big deal.
Yes, it's a big deal. Plus there is a huge global financial crisis coming, so even if available many people won't be able to buy consoles. So I think that what will happen is that devs will continue focusing in crossgen games during a longer period of time than originally expected (plus a bigger focus on multiplatform games vs exclusive games) to compensate that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom