• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 Revealed

Mista

Banned

Here’s the full list of known new features:

1. Adjustable tension thumbsticks
  2. New trigger sticks and redesigned bumpers
  3. Wrap around rubberised grip
  4. Additional customisable thumbstick and paddle options
  5. Up to 3 custom profiles that you can set for specific games
  6. Bluetooth connectivity
  7. Internal rechargeable battery
  8. Detachable charging dock with 40 hours per charge

RespawnX

USB c? Couldn't tell? Same pricing?

What’s in the box
  • Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
  • Carrying case
  • Set of 6 thumbsticks: Standard (2), Classic (2), Tall (1), Wide Dome (1)
  • Set of 4 paddles: Medium (2), Mini (2)
  • Set of 2 D-pads: Standard, Faceted
  • Thumbstick-adjustment tool
  • Charging dock
  • USB-C cable

Bought the last one as soon as I could find it, and it's been the best controller I've ever owned despite having an issue with one of the grips,. It'll be $230 CDN which is a lot, but if it lasts as long as my current one which I use daily, it will be worth the price.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Did they announce the price? Is it going to be $150 like the current elite, or more?

SonGoku

Controller is hype AF
Wish Sony would do the same, they are just leaving free money on the table at this point

Kinda bummed about non replaceable battery, puts a an expiry date on the controller

Microsoft is really doing well in terms of controls, even if it'll cost ya. Always good to see them offer that and try to elevate controllers to the next level, allowing people to adapt their controller, as well as the work with accessibility for the people with various disabilities.

And like TheSadRanger TheSadRanger mentioned in the Microsoft Flight Simulator thread:

DUDE could you imagine if we got a joystick with the same level of attention that they put into elite controllers??

Just think if we got a Sidewinder elite joystick. :messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts:

Imagine if they did the same thing without other gaming controllers/accessories. Would be great.

pr0cs

This is the one negative, my elite died during the presentation all i needed to do was swap the batteries
After having both a ds3 and ds4 battery fail I am firmly in the camp of having an internal pack as being a very bad idea.
I understand they wanted to make a cool charging pad for the controller but they could have done that with battery packs and still supported AA batteries

Mattyp

Gold Member
Will purchase day one, I still have a launch elite and never had an issue with it, I'm sad about the internal battery I would still prefer double AA but the fact it has a dock that comes with it that can sit next to my headsets and last 5x longer than my DS4 I wont complain to much.

I remember the quality control on the elite contollers was pretty bad initially. I had to swap a couple of times at best buy. I find myself using the normal versions more often because I prefer the snappier face buttons. The elite's feel a little mushy

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Looks fantastic, but I can't buy a new expensive pad this late in the cycle. Already bought a dozen normal ones haha.

But this does make me hopeful that the new xbox pad will be awesome. I know they want all old pads working on the new console, but man, I hope there's a build in share button at the very least, as well as the return of start/select...

I can't stand Major Nelson. He has this sleazy car salesman vibe. :messenger_weary:

Elliott (lead designer on Elite Series 2) seems like a cool dude with real passion for this project.

To me this is day one purchase. I hope it will eventually come in white just like Series 1.

Mine!
Day One.
The first Elite controller is ready for retirement. (the rubber grips are not made very well IMHO I hope these are done better)

Zaffo

Was waiting for this since i own the original elite and it's time for a tune up, but they kept the same uncomfortable paddle design.
Guess i'm going to try my luck with a Razer Wolverine.

I loved my Elite. I only sold it (along with plenty of other things I loved) to help with buying my first house.

I've been thinking of getting another one but now I'm torn. The new one would be a home run if it had standard AA batteries (Eneloops 4 lyfe) but now I'm thinking I might just go ahead and get another OG Elite.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Looks great, but I can’t justify upgrading my original. It needed some work to fix a loose right stick and broken bumper, but is good as new still after I did those repairs. I also prefer Eneloops to internal battery as I have a bunch.

I loved my Elite. I only sold it (along with plenty of other things I loved) to help with buying my first house.

I've been thinking of getting another one but now I'm torn. The new one would be a home run if it had standard AA batteries (Eneloops 4 lyfe) but now I'm thinking I might just go ahead and get another OG Elite.

I like my Eneloops too, but a built-in with 40 hours between charges is pretty good and having the charger built into the case is brilliant. If it's a li-on battery it should have a lifespan similar to Eneloops too. I'd say if you already had a V1 Elite to stick with it until it dies, but having sold your V1 I'd absolutely wait and see what this one offers. The analog units inside are more robust than the ones in the current Elite, which are the same units found in all the controllers on the market today, which are a big weak point on every controller and prone to drift. Hopefully I won't have to replace another one because it's a bit of work. They also have gotten the grip issue figured out. Newer white Elites with the black rubber don't suffer from expanding grips like the OG Elites do because they use a different type of material. The food safe grey rubber on the OG Elite absorbs moisture and expands. One side of mine has expanded so much I had to cut half a centimeter away so I could re-glue it. The problem with the white Elite is they don't have the high-wear rubbery coating on the rest of the controller surfaces so they'll start to look shiny as the textured surface becomes smooth.

This new Elite really seems like it's tackling the OG's issues, and while the price is higher it's not much more costly for people that would have bought an Elite and an Eneloop charger with 4 AAs. I really do like the idea of the charger being in the case in place of the foam block, my case has a spot on my desk and the controller is always in there if I'm not using it so it'll always be ready to go.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I like my Eneloops too, but a built-in with 40 hours between charges is pretty good and having the charger built into the case is brilliant. If it's a li-on battery it should have a lifespan similar to Eneloops too.

For me it's down to how easy it is to replace the battery. For this cost, I should be able to use these controllers pretty much indefinitely (I've rarely had controllers break while I was still using that console).

On that front, I already worry about build quality as I had to replace the bumpers and glue on a loose right stick on my V1 Elite. It's good as new after that, but we should not be having to fix gently used/well cared for $150-180 controllers. But as I said, I'll stick with my V1 for as long as it's working, so when/if it craps out I'll at least have plenty of reviews about build quality on the V2 (or whatever version is out then).

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's down to how easy it is to replace the battery. For this cost, I should be able to use these controllers pretty much indefinitely (I've rarely had controllers break while I was still using that console).

On that front, I already worry about build quality as I had to replace the bumpers and glue on a loose left stick on my V1 Elite. It's good as new after that, but we should not be having to fix gently used/well cared for $150-180 controllers. But as I said, I stick with my V1 for as long as it's working, so when/if it craps out I'll at least have plenty of reviews about build quality on the V2 (or whatever version is out then).

I can't argue with the wait and see approach. I've had to do a couple small fixes on mine, but looking at some people's issues I think I got off pretty easy. I have seen signs that give me hope they've addressed the issues though.

The bumper issue being so common is easy to explain, and looking at the new controller it may have been addressed. The bumpers use the same mold as on the base controller, only they coated it in silver. To do so they had to use the proper plastic for the process which is a white plastic that is not as flexible as the regular plastic used for that part. The coating process further weakens the material which resulted in the bumper parts failing as their entire function is to flex when pressed, then spring back into position. The new controller looks to have ditched the anodized silver for a darker silver. My hope is that it is either a metallic substrate that won't face those same issues, or they employ a newer high-wear paint process which would allow them to use the standard plastic. I'd prefer they were zero-wear metal parts like the D-pad and paddles, but I won't get my hopes up. The OG Xbone controller had a far superior bumper design with a proper hinge, but people complained that they were hard to press so we got the current design.

The stick becoming loose looks to have been fixed in the V2 from what I've seen. The metal cap in the V1 wore down the plastic post. Metal/plastic contact will always result in the weaker material wearing down. The post in the V2 is now a metal tube with a set screw inside that moves up and down as you turn it, compressing the centering spring. What remains to be seen is if this new mechanism is still prone to drift like the V1.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I can't argue with the wait and see approach. I've had to do a couple small fixes on mine, but looking at some people's issues I think I got off pretty easy. I have seen signs that give me hope they've addressed the issues though.

The bumper issue being so common is easy to explain, and looking at the new controller it may have been addressed. The bumpers use the same mold as on the base controller, only they coated it in silver. To do so they had to use the proper plastic for the process which is a white plastic that is not as flexible as the regular plastic used for that part. The coating process further weakens the material which resulted in the bumper parts failing as their entire function is to flex when pressed, then spring back into position. The new controller looks to have ditched the anodized silver for a darker silver. My hope is that it is either a metallic substrate that won't face those same issues, or they employ a newer high-wear paint process which would allow them to use the standard plastic. I'd prefer they were zero-wear metal parts like the D-pad and paddles, but I won't get my hopes up. The OG Xbone controller had a far superior bumper design with a proper hinge, but people complained that they were hard to press so we got the current design.

The stick becoming loose looks to have been fixed in the V2 from what I've seen. The metal cap in the V1 wore down the plastic post. Metal/plastic contact will always result in the weaker material wearing down. The post in the V2 is now a metal tube with a set screw inside that moves up and down as you turn it, compressing the centering spring. What remains to be seen is if this new mechanism is still prone to drift like the V1.

All sounds like nice improvement. Wish they'd just make the bumpers independent buttons like on other platform controllers though. That would eliminate the possibility of snapping in the middle.

CyberPanda

Banned
I can't stand Major Nelson. He has this sleazy car salesman vibe. :messenger_weary:

Elliott (lead designer on Elite Series 2) seems like a cool dude with real passion for this project.

To me this is day one purchase. I hope it will eventually come in white just like Series 1.
His lisp just annoys me. Majority of PR guys make me cringe, and he’s apparently ‘straight’. Lmao

Top Bottom