• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox criticised for ‘creating a confusing mess’ with Series S - Remedy dev shares concern

Saber

Gold Member
Wouldn't be something similar to WiiU? Like, imagine someone asking for a Xbox console. They instead of asking it's full name, casual people will just say "I want a Xbox Series, please". Like the WiiU when people forget the "U".

People have had 3 years to get used to Microsoft’s naming scheme.

Series S and X are the same as One S and X. If you are too dumb to recognize that more expensive means better, then you prolly shouldn’t be buying tech on your own anyways.

But to me that’s a nothingburger. People will be able to tell them apart just as well as Switch and Switch Lite or PS4 and PS4 Pro.

At least every lowered brained celled bot will have read all these articles and have a full understanding of the supposed confusing mess Microsoft has started on our poor poor world.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Zok310

Banned
I give MS credit for being cost conscious with the S. But holy shit did they make a lot of sacrifice to deliver a cheap console.
If it was me i would have just made the x and launch it at $399.
Just my opinion.

Iit's almost guaranteed that more mums this christmas will be fucking up and buying the cheaper digital and almost identical looking PS5 with with a copy of some shit game, than they will be confused over the 2 completely different looking xbox consoles.

Millions of phones with yz6, s7, s7bac, IPhone 8, 8plus , E.

But this is a problem🤣 people are funny .

Why those names aren't confusing is right there in your own example.

There is a reason why phone makers use numbers to designate different generations.

A better example would be IPhone x, iPhone generation x, iPhone creation x, iPhone limitless x etc. But that doesn't exist. Guess why?

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Oh geez. It says discontinued right there on the listing. Good thing MS stopped selling these a few months ago. Sucks for a few hundred kids though who's parents just helped an asshole clear some old inventory.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Why those names aren't confusing is right there in your own example.

There is a reason why phone makers use numbers to designate different generations.

A better example would be IPhone x, iPhone generation x, iPhone creation x, iPhone limitless x etc. But that doesn't exist. Guess why?
Iphone x
Iphone xs
Iphone xr
Iphone x max
Iphone xs max

They do exist.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Oh geez. It says discontinued right there on the listing. Good thing MS stopped selling these a few months ago. Sucks for a few hundred kids though who's parents just helped an asshole clear some old inventory.

Its not a few hundred, its like 7. If they sold one last week and they sold 7 this week its a 700% sales increase.

Ataraxia

It would have been a lot simpler if that had just kept using sequential numbers. Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Two S, Xbox Two X.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
And yet when they moved to the next generation they called it........iPhone 11
I'll give you a hand moving those goalposts if you need. You said those names "do not exist" and your reason was basically it would be dumb. My post was in direct reference to that. I'm well aware of iphone 11.

To be fair, one looks like a giant fridge and the other like a speaker. How people still get confused is absolutely baffling to me. Also its worth noting that unless youre buying them used, the big chain stores really wont have any xbox one consoles in stock anymore. So people who go there physically couldn't possibly get confused come November.

That being said, when i was struggling yesterday to get my preorder in, i went everywhere including Amazon. FYI, Amazon was the ONLY site where i would search for "xbox series X" and the top results that would come up were xbox one x. Consistently. I couldnt even find the listing for XSX on there.

I get that the names are similar, but if the Amazon search is a fucking piece of shit, then yeah, people will get confused.

I didnt get that searching issue on bestbuy or Microsoft store site by the way.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No doubt the One S/X and Series S/X are going to mess up casual buyers.

It's one of those industries that despite having only a small number of products, casuals still fuck it up and put little thought.

Yet they can somehow figure out the million Samsung cellphones. Anyone buy kitchen appliances lately? I did 4 years ago. Redid the kitchen. Anyone buy a new tv lately? I did back then too.

Have fun figuring out the code names HKNSTF-69028ACHS and going over the list of features to see which one is better. A million tiers and sizes and prices.

Last edited:
I really don’t get the naming scheme, but I’d spend about two seconds thinking about it before moving on with my life.

Try figuring out which Samsung TV is the latest (a nightmarish task I undertook recently :messenger_tears_of_joy:).

Definite shift in the narrative of the concerners lately - essays have taken over memes as the attacks become more weaker and more desperate and the logic gets thinner and thinner.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've said this for 6 months. It won't kill the Xbox Series generation, but it's a slight issue. You can't market having the strongest console ever AND have a 4TF next-gen console for sale at the same time.

I've said this for 6 months. It won't kill the Xbox Series generation, but it's a slight issue. You can't market having the strongest console ever AND have a 4TF next-gen console for sale at the same time.

Its literally only an issue on amazon because their XSX searches end up showing Xbox one consoles. I know cause i was searching yesterday on every site for my preorder.

Retail stores dont have anymore xbox one consoles in stock. So soccer moms cant get confused with something they dont sell anymore.

Other sites like best buy, MS store etc actually show the proper results when you type in "xbox series X".

It cant possibly be an issue come November unless the only place you shop at is on amazon.com. And even then.

People have had 3 years to get used to Microsoft’s naming scheme.

Series S and X are the same as One S and X. If you are too dumb to recognize that more expensive means better, then you prolly shouldn’t be buying tech on your own anyways.

But to me that’s a nothingburger. People will be able to tell them apart just as well as Switch and Switch Lite or PS4 and PS4 Pro.

This may be a surprise, but majority of people are DUMB.

Believing in flat earth, vaccinations cause autism, mask dont work, corona is hoax, 5g spreads virus, all the bullshit and zero criticism to some random twitter posts or facebook posts while not believing scientific studies.

So you are plain wrong, stating that it is as easy as nintendo/playstation naming.

Problem isnt just s vs x, it is one vs one s vs one x vs series s vs series x = 100% chance that people mess these up, parents, grand parents and so on, they dont even have to be dumb to mix them

I'll give you a hand moving those goalposts if you need. You said those names "do not exist" and your reason was basically it would be dumb. My post was in direct reference to that. I'm well aware of iphone 11.

I literally said (and bolded) different generations in the post you quoted.

Not my fault you cant or chose not to read. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I literally said (and bolded) different generations in the post you quoted.

Not my fault you cant or chose not to read. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well your point would stand if my example was confined to a single generation, It is not. The x series released with the iPhone 8 gen and continued into the next year releases.

Edit:I can understand what you are trying to say. I just took issue with the example as I was in the cell phone industry at the time and people were saying the same thing (people won't know what to get). In my experience, it was never a big deal.

Last edited:

ksdixon

On the S/X hearing difficulty, and getting frankly sick of saying "Xbox Series Whatever", my friend and I have resorted to saying "X box" and "S box". "OGXB", "X360" and "Xbox 1" to differentiate.

Last edited:
This may be a surprise, but majority of people are DUMB.

Believing in flat earth, vaccinations cause autism, mask dont work, corona is hoax, 5g spreads virus, all the bullshit and zero criticism to some random twitter posts or facebook posts while not believing scientific studies.

So you are plain wrong, stating that it is as easy as nintendo/playstation naming.

Problem isnt just s vs x, it is one vs one s vs one x vs series s vs series x = 100% chance that people mess these up, parents, grand parents and so on, they dont even have to be dumb to mix them
The original Xbox One and the One X aren't in production anymore, most big retailers have taken the One X off the shelfs and the ones which are still selling get rid of the last stock. It won't be available for much longer. You only have a One S, Series S and Series X. One 100-200 bucks machine, one 300 and one 500.

And again, I quote myself
If you are too dumb to recognize that more expensive means better, then you prolly shouldn’t be buying tech on your own anyways.
The cavemen you are talking about will also get confused by Playstation 4 Slim, Playstation 4 Pro, Playstation 5 and Playstation 5 Digital Edition. These Sony consoles will all be available in November.

And I love this "grand parents/parents" argument. It can only come from someone who has never had to buy toys for kids. There are way more different types of Barbies and Dolls or Lego sets than there are consoles and parents don't fuck that up, but parents get confused by 3 letters. Especially not with the massive marketing behind it.

The only problem I can see is that the Series S and One S look similar (white box), while Series X is a black box. The PS5 looks completely different compared to a PS4. The looks are what make it confusing to someone who isn't into tech... but then my quote applies: more expensive = better and if you can't figure that out then you shouldn't be buying tech on your own for your niece, kids or SO.

spookyfish

The Xbox One X showing a sales increase of 746% on Amazon yesterday should probably be an indicator that Microsoft may be walking into Wii/Wii U territory.

TonyK

The cavemen you are talking about will also get confused by Playstation 4 Slim, Playstation 4 Pro, Playstation 5 and Playstation 5 Digital Edition. These Sony consoles will all be available in November.

I can agree could be confusion with the standard PS5 and the digital version, but about PS4 and PS5? I mean, you can't compare with One and Series. There is no clue, if you don't know the product, to know which is the best or newer.

And about the more expensive is the best, then Xbox one X is newer and best than SERIES S?

I can agree could be confusion with the standard PS5 and the digital version, but about PS4 and PS5? I mean, you can't compare with One and Series. There is no clue, if you don't know the product, to know which is the best or newer.
Well, the people he was talking about are super dumb and these super dumb people are standing in front of 4 different SKUs which are all still produced and available, all say Playstation. If Series S and Series X are confusing then 4 and 5 are also confusing. We are talking about people who can't count or don't know the alphabet, or are illiterate. I don't know, they hardly exist. I don't believe that anyone will get confused by the names, at least not as much as people ITT are saying.

In the end, people will stand in front of 2 consoles on each side and they all have significant price differences. There won't be much confusion.
And about the more expensive is the best, then Xbox one X is newer and best than SERIES S?
The Xbox One X is being discontinued, it doesn't really play a role anymore as most retailers don't even have it on the shelves or in stock. You will hardly find that one in 2-3 month and you'll only be able to get it used in 2021, what's being sold right now are the last consoles available.

You'll only have a 100-200, 300 and 500 bucks machine. While Playstation has a 300, two 400 and one 500 machine (at least for now, I hope Sony will reduce the price for PS4 and Pro soon...).

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
That’s not the only confusion that’s been happening ....

Wait wait wait.......Are you saying people bought the XBONEX thinking they were getting or pre-ordering the soon to release Series X ?

If so this is a riot, I was always thinking why would they rush to get XBONEX when the have been on store shelves all this time undisturbed.....Wow all those S and X's are going to create lots of confusion and angry children come christmas....

Here's your new XBOX-X console son, here's your new XBOX-S son. Kid throws the console through the window and displays a temper tantrum.......Mom this is not what I wanted, this is the old archaic stuff.....Arrgghh! said mom. She thought she got a steal of a deal getting a Series X for only $100 dollars at Walmart...Poor Moms this holiday season...

G-Bus

Banned
It is confusing. Really wonder what the fuck the marketing team was smoking.

It all started with the 360. Just be normal ffs

Top Bottom