• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox controllers are still using AA batteries ‘because of long-term Duracell deal’, spokesperson claims

Rolla

Banned
Duracell-Xbox-1024x569.jpg

Duracell’s UK marketing manager Luke Anderson implied in an interview with Stealth Optional this week that Xbox’s decision to stick with replaceable batteries was due to a long-standing agreement between the two companies, and claimed the partnership would continue “for a while”.

“There’s always been this partnership with Duracell and Xbox… It’s a constant agreement that Duracell and Microsoft have in place”.

He added: “[The deal is] for OEM to supply the battery product for the Xbox consoles and also the controllers’ battery. So that [deal is] going to go on for a while… it’s been going on for a while and I think it needs to go for a while [more].”

Any theoretical deal ensuring that Xbox controllers used AA batteries would now have run for at least 15 years.

In a statement provided to MCV, a Microsoft representative noted that Xbox users have several options for charging their controllers but would not discuss the nature of its deal with Duracell.

“We intentionally offer consumers choice in their battery solutions for our standard Xbox Wireless Controllers,” a Microsoft spokesperson said.

That moment when you remember all the debates about rechargeable VS AA batteries only to find out that all this time you've had to use batteries because of a marketing deal...

2IO.gif

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I prefer batteries. Allows be to choose if I want to swap ikea batteries every 40 hours or do I want to swap for recharged set.
Or Xbox is selling play n charge kit so You can just wire it up like playstation. There is no drawback.
For me it is most important that I can swap and never get wired

BabyYoda

Banned
If that's the case then the joke's on them, as I just bought a generic charger and batteries...their controller is really an embarrassment this gen, the battery situation is merely the tip of the iceberg though, their lack of innovation is typical for big tech though, just iterate, copy and buyout, they are the Borg!

Codes 208

If that's the case then the joke's on them, as I just bought a generic charger and batteries...their controller is really an embarrassment this gen, the battery situation is merely the tip of the iceberg though, their lack of innovation is typical for big tech though, just iterate, copy and buyout, they are the Borg!
The Xbox one controller was already as close to perfect anyone could want from a controller. Why would they make drastic changes for it for this gen? There’s a lot the ds4 could’ve improved on and hence why we got the dualsense.

skit_data

The Xbox one controller was already as close to perfect anyone could want from a controller. Why would they make drastic changes for it for this gen? There’s a lot the ds4 could’ve improved on and hence why we got the dualsense.
This cave is already as close to perfect anyone could want from a cave. Why make drastic changes? I like my cave, i have even decorated it with poor drawings of animals. It even has a fireplace. My cave is perfect.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don’t think the joke is on them, they’ve been making money from Microsoft to supply the batteries for 15+ years. They’re laughing all the way to the bank.

I do agree that options are always best, and although it inevitably results in more single use batteries on the ever increase waste piles, the option to use existing rechargeables or buy a play and charge kit is nice.

RCU005

After the announcement from Samsung about their new TV remotes not using batteries anymore, Duracell and other companies alike will begin to worry. This is a technology that will only expand to other brands and other products.

Batteries pollute a lot, and we need to develop different technologies to replace them soon. Of course it will take many more years, but hopefully they find out a way to get rid of them for good.

Magog.

Banned

How could it be perfect when it's missing haptic feedback and resistive triggers like the Dualsense has? They need to revise their controller to keep up ASAP.

DJTHEGREY

I like having the choice to easily switch out battery packs but this is still good information to know. Would love some details.

Topher

Gold Member
This is one aspect of the Xbox controllers that I prefer. Sure, you have to buy the rechargable battery pack separately...but you can buy the rechargeable battery pack and replace it without having to tear your controller apart, which, speaking from experience, is incredibly fiddly.

Neither option is perfect, imo. I think at the very least Microsoft should have included rechargeable AA batteries. I think the only thing I own that uses non-rechargeable batteries is my TV remote. But yeah, having to crack open PS controllers (although that is rare) or even having to have an extra controller on standby isn't ideal either.

At the price Microsoft and Sony charge for these controllers, replaceable and rechargeable batteries should be standard. But they are making so much money on it there is no way they will change now.

quest

Not Banned from OT
How could it be perfect when it's missing haptic feedback and resistive triggers like the Dualsense has? They need to revise their controller to keep up ASAP.
Na standard paddles are much more important before gimmicks. Once standard are paddles then we can talk gimmicks.

It's coming. MS already has similar patents and is surveying fans about the DualSense features.

The problems are that it will add an extra $70 for anyone who buys a Series before the new version controller comes out, and not every owner will own the controller with all the features, meaning developers are less inclined to make full use of those features.

Magog.

Banned
Na standard paddles are much more important before gimmicks. Once standard are paddles then we can talk gimmicks.

Everyone who has used the Dualsense says it's a total game changer not a gimmick. Real and convincing physical feedback adds literally an entire 3rd sense to gaming after sight and sound. Since taste and smell are never coming this is likely as good as its going to get for the foreseeable future.

This is one aspect of the Xbox controllers that I prefer. Sure, you have to buy the rechargable battery pack separately...but you can buy the rechargeable battery pack and replace it without having to tear your controller apart, which, speaking from experience, is incredibly fiddly.

I'd agree with you - if they included the battery pack with the controller. The fact they don't is just a rip off IMO.

skneogaf

I definitely prefer AA batteries to inbuilt batteries which is why I use xbox one pads on my pc instead of ps4 pads. I have been playing dark souls 1, 2 and 3 the last 6 weeks for 8 - 10 hours a day on my day's off and it takes a matter of seconds to swap out my rechargeable AA batteries once they run out. I'd have to connect a cable if using my ps4 pad.

I have loads of AA batteries charged and ready for numerous things in my house so it is the absolute best option in my opinion.

Thankfully this deal exists if true. (it isn't true)

Last edited:
Top Bottom