• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox controllers are still using AA batteries ‘because of long-term Duracell deal’, spokesperson claims

Mr_Potato

Banned
Whatever, I have kids. The house required a constant supply of AA/AAA batteries for them and Me. I also fucking hate plugging the controllers for the other systems in to charge.

I never have to plug anything, I have the charging station and I just put my Dualsense on it, click, recharged. Hard to do better than that. No AA batteries to change ever.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But it never happens lol. AA batteries are relics of the past.
It never happens? When did You held dualshock 3 ps3 controller that hold more than 40-50% of it's original charge?! that's 3-4 hours vs 40 on AA set
And all replacement internal batteries are just as bad as they sit in warehouses for years. Lion batteries slowly die even when NOT USED. There is no such thing as new internal ds3 batteries

Last edited:

Chukhopops

All those people with magic built-in batteries that never lose charge even after years.

There is no such thing as a battery that doesn’t lose charge over time and charge cycles. Even from an environmental point of view non-replaceable batteries should not be a thing that exists.

Mr_Potato

Banned
It never happens? When did You held dualshock 3 ps3 controller that hold more than 40-50% of it's original charge?!
And all replacement internal batteries are just as bad as they sit in warehouses for years. Lion batteries slowly die even when NOT USED

Never happened a single time to me. I always bought the new console (PS3 then PS4 then PS5) before any controller battery dies on me...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Never happened a single time to me. I always bought the new console (PS3 then PS4 then PS5) before any controller battery dies on me...
Just because it never happened to You, does not mean it didn't get worse. I 100% guarantee you that Your ds3 and maybe ds4 do not hold their original charge.
And if You will want to play your nostalgia ps3 in 10-20-50 years, it's gone.
My ds4 controller from 2017 bought NEW slim was already holding for about 50-70% of it's original charge. Terrible.
Look at phones and laptops. After 2 years, it's all shit usually. And it;s all LiON

Last edited:

Mr_Potato

Banned
Just because it never happened to You, does not mean it didn't get worse. I 100% guarantee you that Your ds3 and maybe ds4 do not hold their original charge.
My ds4 controller from 2017 bought NEW slim was already holding for about 50-70% of it's original charge. Terrible

As a charging station user, I love the convenience of just putting the DualSense on it and never having to care about batteries anyway. I would never change that for an AA batteries controller.

00_Zer0

I have a long term deal with eneloop batteries. If Sanyo/Panasonic keep making them then I'll keep buying them. That's my long term deal, lol. I for one love the fact that I can pop out these rechargeables Agnes put a fresh pair in. No wait time, especially if you have a stock of extra eneloops already charged up.

Tons of stuff around my house still use AA and AAA batteries so I prefer a controller that doesn't have a battery cell permanently attached inside it.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah there's a guy on twitch with a Duracell sponsorship where he uses a Xbox One controller with their "premium" batteries.

It tracks how much juice the batteries have left with a timer. Its always at 99% lmao. And he has to constantly tell you why these are better than normal Duracell batteries and how great the Xbox One controller feels, despite not using it when he's not doing sponsored streams :messenger_tears_of_joy:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As a charging station user, I love the convenience of just putting the DualSense on it and never having to care about batteries anyway. I would never change that for an AA batteries controller.
sure, I see that. I will probably also get charging station for dualsense but You are locked to charging with cable or dock.
And that would be a lot of batteries for the price of that dock and much better battery life on each set (2 AA batteries are over 4k mah).

The thing I agree is waste. Normal batteries are a bit more waste. At least Dualsense now has usb C

Yeah but one option requires zero investment beyond the initial purchase. The other option requires the purchase of the controller, then constantly purchasing AA batteries OR a friggin charge pack from Microsoft. That's wack.

Edit: this is without even mentioning the environmental impact of chucking out AA batteries constantly. Yes you can recycle them i get that, but how many people do you think are really doing that? Any little but helps but wtf, we have the tech now for rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Why not use them.
Like the rechargeable batteries you can put into an Xbox controller avoiding the landfill problem you are talking about? I'd rather chuck old batteries into a landfill than a controller that doesn't charge any more. Options are always better.

Yeah but one option requires zero investment beyond the initial purchase. The other option requires the purchase of the controller, then constantly purchasing AA batteries OR a friggin charge pack from Microsoft. That's wack.

Edit: this is without even mentioning the environmental impact of chucking out AA batteries constantly. Yes you can recycle them i get that, but how many people do you think are really doing that? Any little but helps but wtf, we have the tech now for rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Why not use them.

What do you do with old DS batteries that are bulging and eventually leak? If I could use AAs, then I could take them out and replace them without a hitch years later.

The tech industry hasn't stamped it out just yet, though I'm not too optimistic. That said, Sony would probably get rid of it before Microsoft.
MS probably has it because of Sony, the xbone didn't have it at release... The PS4 did.

At that point in time either could say, just use the Bluetooth headset you were forced to buy for your phone 🤣.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I can take out 15 years old controller out of my drawer, plop batteries in it and play for 40 hours. I am talking about xbox 360 here.
What other devices You have from 15 years ago with internal battery that work just as new? Take Your oldest smartphone with internal batter and it will not work more than 30% of it's original life.
Old notebook? 15 minutes instead of 2 hours.
That matters to me. The damn analog sticks rubber is starting to come off on it's own and change into powder. That's how old the thing is. LiOn would not survive that time. it just dies over time not even used. read on it people

Last edited:

AllyITA

thank you microsoft and duracell..

i'm using eneloop in the controller, and i like it that way. better than playing connected to the console with a cable :)

wolywood

I always thought the whole batteries requirement was strange and outdated - until I got my first Xbox One controller. That thing lasts for weeks on a pair of dollar store AA's. Now it's my DS4's measly couple of hours of battery life that seems outdated.

I never have to plug anything, I have the charging station and I just put my Dualsense on it, click, recharged. Hard to do better than that. No AA batteries to change ever.
What happens to your DS5 when the internal battery starts to fail and only lasts 2-3 hours. I've not had this issue with either of my DS4s (yet...probably helps that I'm using them with a PC and can turn the lightbar right down, far below what the PS4 can apparently manage) but one look at forums and you'll find them littered with posts complaining about battery life, especially after they've had it a couple of years. Li-ion batteries don't last forever.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
My ds4 controller from 2017 bought NEW slim was already holding for about 50-70% of it's original charge. Terrible.
Look at phones and laptops. After 2 years, it's all shit usually. And it;s all LiON

Ah that's what I needed.

Yet another reminder about how disappointed I am that the PS5 isn't backwards compatible with PS1-3 games.

Especially when the knockoff PS3 controllers that are packaged and made to look like OEM controllers are so terrible. I guess there's always the option of using an extra long USB cable!

MarkMe2525

In my ignorant opinion this is backwards and the rep misspoke. My guess is BECAUSE xbox still uses batteries, duracell pays them for the exposure. Of course this is just a guess, but it seems more logical to me.

ZoukGalaxy

I really hope that this deal will last forever, because AA slot is the best of 2 worlds. You can have eneloop (Panasonic) rechargeable that last like forever (I have eneloop from 10 years) or buy an Li-ion kit from Microsoft.

So, you don't have to fucking diassemble your controller to replace the internal battery with an cheap ass china copy lasting no more than 30% of the original time.

But people prefer integrated battery because is "oh it's so convenient and AA is so [what time is it.gif]" then moans like babies because "oh my internal battery is dead, I have to buy a new controller or fucking trying to replace it with a poor copy"

This world is doomed, so much wasting.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I prefer AAs because internal batteries have a finite life span. I can always buy new rechargeable AAs though.

I am willing to deal with an internal batter if it can be easily replaced with an aftermarket option years later. The unfortunate reality is that while it is easy for me to replace the battery in a PS3/4/5 controller it is beyond the skillset of the average consumer

Shakka43

After the Elite 2(which has an excellent battery life) I was expecting them to use rechargeable batteries for the new controller but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

bitbydeath

What happens to your DS5 when the internal battery starts to fail and only lasts 2-3 hours. I've not had this issue with either of my DS4s (yet...probably helps that I'm using them with a PC and can turn the lightbar right down, far below what the PS4 can apparently manage) but one look at forums and you'll find them littered with posts complaining about battery life, especially after they've had it a couple of years. Li-ion batteries don't last forever.
I traded my OG DS4 controllers and PS4 in for a PS5. As long as they last a gen I don’t care.

Honestly having a charging dock is the best thing, just get in the habit of putting your controller on it whenever you stop playing and it feels like it lasts forever. No messing with anything ever.

Zog

Banned
Having stored my PS3's and the controllers I have to admit that I worry about the batteries leaking and I have come to appreciate that the Xbox 360 controllers won't have that problem.

I'm team batteries! One, with Xbox controllers at least you can always use them wired which I prefer anyways. But no batteries last forever so if they do die it's more convenient to swap out AAs for another pair over buying an entire new rechargeable controller

Like the rechargeable batteries you can put into an Xbox controller avoiding the landfill problem you are talking about? I'd rather chuck old batteries into a landfill than a controller that doesn't charge any more. Options are always better.
It's not like you can't change the battery at all in the DualShock controllers, every decade or so is no big deal.

Magog.

Banned
After the Elite 2(which has an excellent battery life) I was expecting them to use rechargeable batteries for the new controller but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

That's the telling thing isn't it? Their premium controller had built in batteries so their standard controller is clearly a budget option with kickback money from Duracell.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not like you can't change the battery at all in the DualShock controllers, every decade or so is no big deal.
You can but:
New Dualsense is a bit of an ass to open
You need security torx (not a problem)
YOU NEED A NEW BATTERY and Sony don't sell these. Chinese battery is just as worn out by then probably.
Or You an just... imagine that - slap AA batteries in a controller

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Regardless of battery type, swapping out controllers is absolutely the fastest way to continue...
Well, for the Xbox I've had the same battery pack since the very first Xbox one. For the quest 2, I use rechargeable batteries, they come in pack of 4 and one touch controller uses 1 AA.

devilNprada

Well, for the Xbox I've had the same battery pack since the very first Xbox one. For the quest 2, I use rechargeable batteries, they come in pack of 4 and one touch controller uses 1 AA.

Congratulations, but doesn't change the fact swapping controllers is the fastest way to continue playing...
You need two controllers and two battery packs for efficiency...

Plus I am spoiled; now I want wireless charging I don't even want to plug shit in anymore...

I traded my OG DS4 controllers and PS4 in for a PS5. As long as they last a gen I don’t care.

Honestly having a charging dock is the best thing, just get in the habit of putting your controller on it whenever you stop playing and it feels like it lasts forever. No messing with anything ever.
That's actually one of the quickest ways to kill Li-ion batteries, they really really really do not like sitting at 100%, second only to regular deep cycles (100% -> 0% -> 100% -> 0%, etc). Ideally you want to keep them in the 20%-90% range. If you're not going to be using it for a while you should leave them at ~40% to slow their degradation. They're just not chemically stable.

intbal

I've never used a battery in any Xbox controller. Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One X.
Since I don't jump around the room while playing, I just plug it in through a usb cable. No batteries necessary.
How are options a bad thing?
My controller, My choice!

partime

All you guys defending this nonsense, Nokia phones, Gameboy, 3DS, heck my old Toshiba laptop, you just turn on and go.

I was always amazed how stupid the arguments were with battery technologies of Playstation & Xbox controllers.

Didn't Duracell do something similar with electric toothbrushes?

bitbydeath

That's actually one of the quickest ways to kill Li-ion batteries, they really really really do not like sitting at 100%, second only to regular deep cycles (100% -> 0% -> 100% -> 0%, etc). Ideally you want to keep them in the 20%-90% range. If you're not going to be using it for a while you should leave them at ~40% to slow their degradation. They're just not chemically stable.
Eh, again as long as they last the gen I don’t care what happens to them after.

SoraNoKuni

Such environmental waste and backwards thinking in this type of deals.

Had Xbox and always hated that I had to get a battery pack or settle with batteries.

That's not pro consumer at all, even my ps3 controllers still have juice In them.

I guess someone must praise their home..

Last edited:
Eh, again as long as they last the gen I don’t care what happens to them after.
I mean...leaving them on charge like that you'll be lucky if you get 2 years out of them, let alone 6-8. Actually you'll be lucky if they don't burn your house down. A lot of heat is generated in that last 5-10% and it's not unheard of for them to go up in flames, especially as they get older and start to degrade.

x@3f*oo_e!

I prefer buying Eneloop/Amazon rechargeables and just swapping them out. If my batteries die in the middle of gaming, I don't have to worry about connecting it to the console while I'm charging. Apparently, I'm the only one who plays in a modern living room and not on my bedroom floor 3 ft away from my 19 inch CRT with my He-man sheet and my mommy serving me tendies.
For most people on this forum you just described heaven.

On the plus side, when I had to replace the DS4 dead battery it somehow fixed the L-stick drift ..

Top Bottom