• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX Controller on PC help

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I was wondering if someone could help me with my XBOX One controller on my Windows 10 machine.

Ive been playing random games on game pass and I’ve noticed that some games will recognize my controller and some won’t. What’s even more frustrating and confusing is that some games start off recognizing it and then suddenly stopped. and I can’t figure out how to get it to recognize it again.

And even when a game won’t recognize it, Windows DOES. And so do

Some things I’ve already tried:

1. Turning on and off the controller and my PC.
2. Switching to another Xbox one controller.
3. Testing other games on game pass (some of them work some don’t)
4. Updating all my drivers.
5. Unplugging and plugging in the adaptor.
6. Using a USB cord.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

sainraja

I was wondering if someone could help me with my XBOX One controller on my Windows 10 machine.

Ive been playing random games on game pass and I’ve noticed that some games will recognize my controller and some won’t. What’s even more frustrating and confusing is that some games start off recognizing it and then suddenly stopped. and I can’t figure out how to get it to recognize it again.

And even when a game won’t recognize it, Windows DOES. And so do

Some things I’ve already tried:

1. Turning on and off the controller and my PC.
2. Switching to another Xbox one controller.
3. Testing other games on game pass (some of them work some don’t)
4. Updating all my drivers.
5. Unplugging and plugging in the adaptor.
6. Using a USB cord.

Suggestions?

I've had similar odd issues connecting my Xbox controller with the PC as well. When it does connect and I try using it with Destiny on Steam, the cursor will switch to mouse and then back to controller.....it's weird.

Shifty1897

Your troubleshooting steps are sound, though I wonder if your controller was truly using the USB cord for communication or if it was just using the adapter for communication and the USB for power. Try that again but unplug the adapter to make sure that's not happening.

Aside from that... You could try uninstalling the Xbox Controller drivers in your device manager and letting them reinstall, or trying to use a generic bluetooth adapter instead, which is what I use.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Is it the official adapter or a standard Bluetooth one?
Are we talking about newer games that should detect a controller and adjust automatically, or older games that might need an ini/setting change?

With controller detection dropping mid-game it might be a faulty adapter/controller, go full wired with an unplugged adapter to test.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Is it the official adapter or a standard Bluetooth one?
Are we talking about newer games that should detect a controller and adjust automatically, or older games that might need an ini/setting change?

With controller detection dropping mid-game it might be a faulty adapter/controller, go full wired with an unplugged adapter to test.
Official adapter and it’s the newest games.

Weird thing is it’s not happening md game. It won’t detect it outright for some games and it’s totally fine with others.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I had nothing but issues with my series X/S controllers. Micsosoft kept patching it.. didnt work.. only way it worked better was with the official usb dongle..

my normal xbox one gamepad worked just fine. have you tried other brands? Just to locate your issue?

I'd try bluetooth, if it's a newer model that has it, there's really no reason to use the official wireless adaptor. Also uninstall the driver and let Windows install it fresh when you reconnect the controller. XInput itself should not be to blame, that works pretty flawlessly in my experience, so that points to there being some kind of connection or driver issue.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I had nothing but issues with my series X/S controllers. Micsosoft kept patching it.. didnt work.. only way it worked better was with the official usb dongle..

my normal xbox one gamepad worked just fine. have you tried other brands? Just to locate your issue?
I don’t own any other brands unfortunately.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I'd try bluetooth, if it's a newer model that has it, there's really no reason to use the official wireless adaptor. Also uninstall the driver and let Windows install it fresh when you reconnect the controller. XInput itself should not be to blame, that works pretty flawlessly in my experience, so that points to there being some kind of connection or driver issue.
I’m not using the wire. I’m using the adaptor.

buenoblue

I bought the official xbox windows adapter and it would disconnect after 10- 15 minutes. I had to go into device manager and turn auto power management or something like that off. Not at my computer so can't remember exact details but worth a try.

VGEsoterica

This has been my one and only issue (and solution) with the Xbone controller on PC. I always keep it on before I fire up the game.
100% this. If you don't get it ready before hand it seems to have issues. I have an Xbox One controller with the microsoft adapter setup on my PC and half the time if you don't push the Xbox button on the controller before you start a game...won't register

Hulk_Smash

Banned
100% this. If you don't get it ready before hand it seems to have issues. I have an Xbox One controller with the microsoft adapter setup on my PC and half the time if you don't push the Xbox button on the controller before you start a game...won't register
Okay, so this was the first thing I tried since I couldn't remember when I turned my controller on. I turned my controller the minute Windows was fully loaded but before I loaded any game service and it worked (for now). We'll see if it gives me any more problems. Thanks for the nudge.

And thanks for the suggestions (everyone).

Top Bottom