• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox coaching program for gamer pro industry mentoring

Ozriel

M$FT
At some point these companies will just focus on making games again.

Not long now.

Taking an hour or two a week to speak to someone aspiring to join the industry won’t lead to the collapse of the video game industry.

Last edited:
. . .also, so what if you're giving women in the gaming industry a chance to mentor folks interested in the gaming industry. Maybe they all got together and said to MS: "Hey, we don't get a ton of mentorship opportunities. Think we could do something about that? Offer mentees experience from our specific perspective?"
Yes and that's stupid.

If I didn't make it clear, im not a fan at all of the concept of mentorship. Those are relationships, that work out and be beneficial in maybe 1 out of 1000. Most of the time it's a waste of time and just some vitamin b fucking around.
It's part of disgusting American corporate and academic culture.
Same goes with American dating culture.

I literally have to puke at that stuff. If you need to go on 100 tinder dates, because you can't determine before if the person you're texting with might or might not be a good fit, you're a subhuman.
If people like doing that stuff, fine. But don't expect me to not comment negatively on it.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The whole point of mentoring programs like this is to get more people into the field of game development.

So, yes. More mentoring programs will definitely do that.

If you think companies will be willing to dedicate time money and resources towards this nonsense outside of the economic bubble we're currently coming towards the end of then think again.

If this initiative was actually about getting more people in to games development then it wouldn't be discriminatory. As it stands it's your typical woke pandering. Potential talent pools shouldn't be limited to "she/her".

Taking an hour or two a week to speak to someone aspiring to join the industry won’t lead to the collapse of the video game industry.

BRB, changing my pronouns and gender. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
BRB, changing my pronouns and gender. I'll let you know how it goes.
Gender.jpg

Pick wisely and change often!

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I suggest you re-read the OP. Slowly, this time.

This is a program you - as a person aspiring to work professionally in gaming - apply to to get paired with an industry professional that can help with insights for your career.

How you managed to eke out ‘tinder’ and ‘forced pairing’ from this is amazing.

Not everything has to be about platform warring.

Completely baffling, tbh.
Because it is forced pairing….only females available for female prospective devs….wtf is that? How is that equality. There should be females available for males, and males available for females…the comment makes complete sense, and you are a part of the problem of trash games if you disagree 🤷‍♂️

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If this initiative was actually about getting more people in to games development then it wouldn't be discriminatory.

It's not discriminatory. You just didn't read beyond the topic title.

This program is open to everyone seeking career advice and growth.

You're asking for too much if you expect the shitposters in this topic to actually pay attention instead of drive by's.

Last edited:
They really aught to stop virtue-signaling already. The entire Bonobo thing with the Halo Infinite plate, plus the recent stuff with the VR/Hololens incident, among others, just shows how empty these gestures are from megaconglomerate tech companies.

Just focus on your content and your tech. Let the politicians, banks, big pharma and religious organizations/companies sort their shit out to better society; that's not your job.

I feel like this was posted here just to fire up the degenerates of this community.

These people are just trying to help women beak into the gaming industry and some of the first comments here are people attacking their appearance. Like that has anything to do with anything.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I feel like this was posted here just to fire up the degenerates of this community.

Of course. The OP set the tone with the 'she/her' in the topic title which isn't anywhere in the article header itself, it's just on one of the two mentors bios.

And then there's posters who haven't read anything on the page before commenting, it clearly says the program is open for everyone.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yes and that's stupid.

If I didn't make it clear, im not a fan at all of the concept of mentorship. Those are relationships, that work out and be beneficial in maybe 1 out of 1000. Most of the time it's a waste of time and just some vitamin b fucking around.
It's part of disgusting American corporate and academic culture.
Same goes with American dating culture.

I literally have to puke at that stuff. If you need to go on 100 tinder dates, because you can't determine before if the person you're texting with might or might not be a good fit, you're a subhuman.
If people like doing that stuff, fine. But don't expect me to not comment negatively on it.

I mean. . .it sounds like you have rejection issues mate? I've mentored folks and been a mentee, the value you get out of someone not just teaching you something, but also lets you chew the ear of someone who can help you navigate issues that aren't covered in HR orientations or textbooks. Sucks that you're experience has been shit (no idea what TINDER has to do with any of this - might be projecting again) but taking an (inaccurate) dump on this "forced mentorship" because of your experience just seems silly.

These people are just trying to help women beak into the gaming industry and some of the first comments here are people attacking their appearance. Like that has anything to do with anything.

There isn't even anything in this that says males can't apply. Are more women than men likely to apply? Yes, and I'm sure MS/XBOX are counting on that, particularly for women interested in the gaming industry who might not have the aggressive networking chops that we typically associate with the mens.

Top Bottom