• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Cloud Gaming now available on Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One consoles (Game Pass Ultimate required)

JLB

Banned
Xbox users not from those 25 countries, right now:

72608041.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Played a few minutes of Minecraft Dungeons to knock out one of the rewards quests this week. Played until I set up the first camp and got the achievement and 500 rewards points. This is a dream come true for rewards hunters like myself. Played really good too. A few laggy parts but nothing major. Definitely better than playing from a browser.

BigBooper

This makes getting the gamepass challenges a lot easier. I can see starting a cloud game while the game is downloading in the background. Very good.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
AG99Yor.png

As always, image quality and latency is quite good on a hardwired connection. 350 download and 35 upload. This has always been the case with streaming and continues to be the case.

Don’t use this for serious competitive online games but it’s great for playing something slow paced/single player.

Great feature.

elliot5

Did a quick little test of it here:

The updating/blockiness is annoying, but I'm genuinely surprised how well it actually plays.
Hope they can sort that out, cause right now it looks much better in the browser.

I was having this issue at first, and I had to contact my ISP for support because I was getting a bunch of packet loss. They had to push a firmware update to my router to get it to work properly. Dunno if you're in a similar situation of "renting" a router/modem.

(I know I should buy my own, but I'm in school rn and there's no point in not paying the $2 a month for it after splitting with roommates)

A.Romero

Great feature! Game pass offers a lot of value.

I spent some time playing XCloud on PC and it works very well, much better than I expected. I can see myself using it for when I travel and feel like playing some games (providing the hotel's connection is not crap).

Games I tried:

- Killer Instinct
- The Ascent (including online co-op with my brother)
- The power rangers fighting game

They all worked fine.

I just got a GPU on my PC so I downloaded The Ascent and played it for a bit 4K and it obviously looks much better native but still, good for when there are no other options or you want to save some money. It's also a great way to try games before downloading/purchasing.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Maybe I'm the weirdo but "plays fine", "wouldn't play any fast paced game", etc,etc. aren't sales pitches to me.. they sound like deal breakers.

Games are something I play for months or years.. I don't need to instantly switch around between a bunch...I can wait for a DL/install lol

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Maybe I'm the weirdo but "plays fine", "wouldn't play any fast paced game", etc,etc. aren't sales pitches to me.. they sound like deal breakers.
In the end it comes own to input lag, which is going to differ based on your distance to their data center; I'm pretty close so "fast paced games" work fine too.

Games are something I play for months or years.. I don't need to instantly switch around between a bunch...I can wait for a DL/install lol
MS themselves is advertising this as a back-up solution. I can go to my brothers' house for Thanksgiving, and play Xbox on my phone if I want. Doesn't mean I will play Xbox all day every day like that, but it's there.

Or try a demo / GP game out instantly with zero wait. If you like it, download it.

Darsxx82

Played a few minutes of Minecraft Dungeons to knock out one of the rewards quests this week. Played until I set up the first camp and got the achievement and 500 rewards points. This is a dream come true for rewards hunters like myself. Played really good too. A few laggy parts but nothing major. Definitely better than playing from a browser.
I came to say this .... For those who have XSeries, this Xcloud option facilitates the work of getting rewards points and tasks.
You save having to download many games and make space in the SDD. And on top of that, it plays quite well.

elliot5

Not for me in the UK on Xbox Series S.
weird. There are some games that had issues not appearing on console. Killer Instinct wasn't available on Xbox for some reason. Listed in the known issues as games with a "bundle" or like with multiple versions. Maybe Y4 is getting caught up even if 3 and 5 aren't.

Schmick

Wow.... I'm impressed. Just tried FH5. I didn't register any input lag at all. Was like playing local. I'm playing on a 1080p TV so i'm wondering if helps with reducing the blocky image because that was hard to notice at times. A lot of the time the image was almost perfet.

What i find interesting is the selling point. Trying games before you install.

I think there are missing a big selling point. That is playing Series S/X games on an Xbox One.

Gaming for 3 hours every day will just be over 270GB.

Surely most connections (urban ones at least) don't have such a small data cap that it can't handle such a trivial amount.
True. Add in my Netflix use and all my game downloads and I'd probably be fine. I still like to know an estimate, but you make a good point.

Justin9mm

xCloud (beta) officially launched in Australia last month in October. I don't know about anywhere else but no matter how good your connection is... There is major network lag and xCloud telling you your signal is low.. This is even playing on my PC through the Xbox app through an ethernet connection with over 400mbps down. I've had some good short runs in the mornings and during the day but in the early evening / night everything is basically unplayable.. It's like at 5pm they shutdown the servers and go home.

I never have any issue with input lag on the controller, just constant pixilation, stuttering and lag on the games themselves. I honestly don't think it was ready to launch even for beta. I had the preview beta for 6 months before they just opened it up to everyone and nothing has changed.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
This is great news for anyone that follow Gamepass Quests, instead of having to waste time downloading the titles, or use a mobile device for the cloud feature, just cloud it on the machine itself.

Great oddball add!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Cool cool cool. Good stuff.

I might have to try this out - but I wonder if you could stream a game WHILE it's downloading locally. Will the Xbox prioritize the streaming data packets / slow down the download? I've always thought this was the future, to be streaming a game so that you can be playing it while your download completes. Once it's done, you could exit out and start playing the local copy. And since cloud saves are pretty ubiquitous on Xbox, that would be a pretty compelling stopgap for larger games that are 60-100GB in size.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Quite an event for X1 players. Now they can jump in an out of events in FH4 like they are on a SSD. Played a few races and it plays great. Definitely, a bit of a hit visually versus locally on the XSS. But again, on X1 you've got RT when it is supported now and 60fps where you only had 30 before and access to some games that aren't even available.

I wonder why they didn't include this in the Xbox20 thing, a pretty huge update considering the overall small % of Xbox users that have been able to upgrade so far.

elliot5

Cool cool cool. Good stuff.

I might have to try this out - but I wonder if you could stream a game WHILE it's downloading locally. Will the Xbox prioritize the streaming data packets / slow down the download? I've always thought this was the future, to be streaming a game so that you can be playing it while your download completes. Once it's done, you could exit out and start playing the local copy. And since cloud saves are pretty ubiquitous on Xbox, that would be a pretty compelling stopgap for larger games that are 60-100GB in size.
You cannot download while streaming no. They will probably make improvements like allowing that on high enough download speeds/connections, but not right now. I agree it would be dope to be able to stream and have it finish, and then boom it just flips to local after a short pause.

elliot5

Quite an event for X1 players. Now they can jump in an out of events in FH4 like they are on a SSD. Played a few races and it plays great. Definitely, a bit of a hit visually versus locally on the XSS. But again, on X1 you've got RT when it is supported now and 60fps where you only had 30 before and access to some games that aren't even available.

I wonder why they didn't include this in the Xbox20 thing, a pretty huge update considering the overall small % of Xbox users that have been able to upgrade so far.
They did touch on cloud gaming a little bit, but yeah not a big LOOK WHATS COMING.

However, once everyone does update their Xbox OS they will be greeted with a fullscreen "Cloud Gaming" screen on boot up letting them no, so people are very unlikely to miss it.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Czechia has cloud streaming but NZ doesn't.....
The good news is that Microsoft is building out a datacenter region in NZ:

Bad news is who knows how long that will take and what services will take priority to come online first in that region. I suspect Xbox related stuff won't be at the top.

elliot5

Just gave it a try, and the latency is almost negligible. It feels like playing on a TV when it isn't in game mode.
That's how I feel when playing it too. In most games it's totally fine and just feels like a typical "I'm playing on a TV with a controller" experience.

Billbofet

Just played about four matches of Halo on my One X over cloud gaming. There was not one moment of lag or any indication that it was streaming.
Truly amazing.
I then uninstalled Forza 5 on my One X and tried out the cloud version. It looks much better and 98% smooth at 60fps, but there were a couple of moments of pixelation. Seems like dynamic resolution at play, but I was actively looking for it.
I wonder if they prioritize some games over others as I just cannot get over how impeccable Halo Infinite was - and my One X still says "Beta" as it loads the game.

Wizz-Art

Huh? Which reward quest is that? I don't have any with Minecraft Dungeons on the rewards app.

TLZ

Banned
Nice. Trying it now. Better than playing it through edge.

Playing Arkham Knight and it's not bad at all actually.

Anyone know at what resolution this is streaming? Looks low.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Huh? Which reward quest is that? I don't have any with Minecraft Dungeons on the rewards app.

It is the "Microsoft Rewards: top 10: Co-op Edition". Minecraft Dungeons is one of the eligible games.

500 points!

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

elliot5

I could see some amazing Xmas bundles; xbox controller, streaming stick and 12 months of gamepass ultimate for 99 usd
12 months for 99 usd alone would be a bundle... with hardware that's like $300 for $99 lol.

I think just 1 month or 3 months would be more likely as part of a holiday bundle.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

It is the "Microsoft Rewards: top 10: Co-op Edition". Minecraft Dungeons is one of the eligible games.

500 points!

Maybe it's region specific because I don't have it on the rewards app on my XSX or Android app on my phone (US).

Topher

Gold Member
Maybe it's region specific because I don't have it on the rewards app on my XSX or Android app on my phone (US).

Weird. I'm in the US as well. For me it is in the "Featured Offers" right under "Girls Who Code"

Shown here around 2 minute mark:

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

Weird. I'm in the US as well. For me it is in the "Featured Offers" right under "Girls Who Code"

Shown here around 2 minute mark:

Ah, I know where it goes wrong for me, I use the Dutch Rewards app on my Xbox and that doesn't feature some of the US rewards unfortunately. My mistake.

TLZ

Banned
Just tried psychnauts 2 this way, played much better than through edge. Not sure what they were doing differently but far less lag, very playable.
I agree. Same with Batman AK for me.

DQXI was a bit laggy though. Maybe it's also the game adding some. Can't remember. Have to try more.

This definitely helps a lot with trying before I download. Better than downloading something just to try

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
In the end it comes own to input lag, which is going to differ based on your distance to their data center; I'm pretty close so "fast paced games" work fine too.
It's just a lot of variables that can be eliminated by downloading a game. Internet conditions can change to your own house because of how it works; better or worse to a specific DC. Let alone the fact that people move.

The tech has wowed me since OnLive; I have gigabit fiber and generally great connections, but I still just can't personally imagine using it for anything but demoing something. That's a whole lot of infrastructure for game demos.. many of the lowest latency connections are also the fastest... I can install games super fast too lol

Top Bottom