• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox claims it’s working on unannounced new IP ‘that will blow your mind’

SLB1904

Banned
Then we wait? Games take time, can't expect Xbox Game studios to bang out a bunch of 90+ metacritic darlings right out the gate with new teams/studios on the first go. Look at all the failed projects, games sony has made with their studios.

Shit takes time. So I'm willing to wait for Fable by Playground. I think the issue is XBox promoters and mouth pieces like Greenberg need to shut their mouths if they know they dont have stuff ready to show. Under Promise over deliver is still a thing. Thats why PS5 is so positive in how people talk about it.

They didn't make a ad campaign saying " power your dreams" " Most powerful console ever built". They made ads really about features that they were able to show in their games like no load times, like dual sense features in games. Their ads had to do with 3D audio, triggers, things like that.

So when they launched and had games using these to show what they were talking about, it delivered. They didn't over promise anything like in a way MS did.

Now MS because they waited late this past gen to make a big investment in the area that needed the investment the most, they now are playing catch up. And that catch up might take more than one gen to get to the level of studio Synergy Sony has with Insomniac, Santa Monic GG ect.
Yeah. I've being hearing ms needs to bring the big guns at e3 or else. And nothing changed

reksveks

I think, more than the things you mentioned, MS needs to have at least 1 (ideally, 2) big graphical showcases.
Cars and planes is probably my bet, I think it might reasonable to make FH5 looks extremely pretty even if it's cross-gen and also I want to hope the Flight Sim is ready as well.

ybfelix

Neo Member
I don’t ask for Xbox exclusivity (which doesn’t exist anymore anyway), but at least make them available on the literal XBOX consoles when you flash XBOX across the beginning and end of trailers. Nah, “it‘s an PC exclusive, Xbox is just a brand now!”. I’m looking at things like Age of Empire or Flight Simulator. Don‘t say ”Play Anywhere” when the “anywhere“ is just PCs

I don’t ask for Xbox exclusivity (which doesn’t exist anymore anyway), but at least make them available on the literal XBOX consoles when you flash XBOX across the beginning and end of trailers. Nah, “it‘s an PC exclusive, Xbox is just a brand now!”. I’m looking at things like Age of Empire or Flight Simulator. Don‘t say ”Play Anywhere” when the “anywhere“ is just PCs

Flight Simulator is coming to Xbox console soon i think mate.

Last edited:

iJudged

Banned
Judge Judy GIF by Lifetime Telly

Banjo64

cumsessed
Neither are first-party games though. It'll be the equivalent of Sony using Deathloop to prove how high-quality PlayStation Studios games are.
Ok? The guy asked for Xbox IP specifically. They’re both Xbox IP.

90+ metacritic Xbox IP

And not to say ‘well what about’ but I constantly see games like Final Fantasy, Persona, Demon’s Souls & Bloodborne held up as an indicator of PS quality on here, despite them all being third party games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ori is Microsoft's IP.
I may have misunderstood, but I think the conversation was about the pedigree and capabilities of Microsoft's first-party studios to gauge how good their games can be in the future.

Ori is produced by an external studio that is no longer working with Microsoft exclusively.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

90+ metacritic Xbox IP

And not to say ‘well what about’ but I constantly see games like Final Fantasy, Persona, Demon’s Souls & Bloodborne held up as an indicator of PS quality on here, despite them all being third party games.

My response to the other guy related to your first point:
I may have misunderstood, but I think the conversation was about the pedigree and capabilities of Microsoft's first-party studios to gauge how good their games can be in the future.

Ori is produced by an external studio that is no longer working with Microsoft exclusively.

And as for your second, I disagree if anyone points out Persona and FF to point out PlayStation Studios' games' quality. BB and Demon's Souls could be partially true because Japan Studios also worked directly on that game. Demon's Souls Creative Director was also from Japan Studios, not Bluepoint Studios.

But having said that, PlayStation Studios' quality of games (present and future/expected) should be judged on Horizon, TLOU, God of War, Ratchet, etc. not FF, Persona, etc. That's just my opinion though.

Banjo64

cumsessed
My response to the other guy related to your first point:

And as for your second, I disagree if anyone points out Persona and FF to point out PlayStation Studios' games' quality. BB and Demon's Souls could be partially true because Japan Studios also worked directly on that game. Demon's Souls Creative Director was also from Japan Studios, not Bluepoint Studios.

But having said that, PlayStation Studios' quality of games (present and future/expected) should be judged on Horizon, TLOU, God of War, Ratchet, etc. not FF, Persona, etc. That's just my opinion though.
Not disagreeing, but it is a very partial truth. Miyazaki directed both games, and they are his children, although as you rightly point out Nippon Studio did support. I definitely classify both as purely From games, despite their PS exclusivity, although I suppose that’s just like, my opinion man.

PlayStation Studios' quality of games (present and future/expected) should be judged on Horizon, TLOU, God of War, Ratchet, etc. not FF, Persona, etc

Defo agree with that, and I feel that Horizon, God of War, Ratchet and Spider-Man in particular were fucking brilliant last gen.

Last edited:
I feel like some of you are going to get some new material in a year or two, yes Xbox has lacked a ton of exclusive games the past generation plus, and sometimes they definitely overhype their E3, but to act like it's "same old Xbox" or "they do this every year" when they've almost quintupled (5 to 23) their first party studios in less than 3 years, and a pandemic affected everybody for 1 of those years, that just seems biased to me. And to act like "just wait and see how their games turn out" as if BGS, Obsidian, Playground, Ninja Theory, ID, just to name a few, will start all of a sudden start producing worse games because they are Xbox studios, doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not saying Xbox will have the clear best (or even the 2nd best) first party of any console maker or anything, they could, they also could not (plus it's all incredibly subjective). But the only logical conclusion is that Xbox 1st party output is about to become very good, very fast. If Xbox manages to ruin all those studios then we can point to that as new info that changes things, but the expectation should be that their games should be at least as good as the games they've made before becoming Xbox exclusive, and if that happens, Xbox's first party output will be very good

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Cars and planes is probably my bet, I think it might reasonable to make FH5 looks extremely pretty even if it's cross-gen and also I want to hope the Flight Sim is ready as well.
I have no doubt that FH5 will look and play extremely well. But at this time, it is also about perception and optics for MS.

In my opinion, MS needs to prove that they can make great games -- on par with Sony and Nintendo -- other than Gears, Halo, and Forza. And a car racing game is one of the easiest game types to make it look pretty; they don't take much resources. Besides, MS also needs to make the "world's most powerful console" slogan relevant again (notice how quiet they have been with it when pre-launch we saw that slogan everywhere!). They can't do that with just Forza, and MFS won't be a new game.

That's why I listed those 3 games: Everwild, Perfect Dark, and Hellblade II. Fable would also be in this list, but it's too soon for that.

My point is that they created The Initiative for Perfect Dark. That is XGS's A-team -- handpicked veteran developers to create the best possible team -- their answer to Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Sony Santa Monica. They were billing it as the industry's first AAAA game.

"So we have the best team, full freedom, full financial and creative backing of MS, the most-powerful* console: look at this awesome gameplay footage that we came up with."

That'd make the difference for MS. If that game looks and feels better than, say, Ratchet & Clank does at the moment, that will be a massive statement by Xbox. They need a showstopper like that this E3.

Last edited:

reksveks

I have no doubt that FH5 will look and play extremely well. But at this time, it is also about perception and optics for MS.

In my opinion, MS needs to prove that they can make great games -- on part with Sony and Nintendo -- other than Gears, Halo, and Forza. And a car racing game is one of the easiest game types to make it pretty; they don't take much resources. Besides, MS also needs to make the "world's most powerful console" slogan relevant again (notice how quite they have been with it when pre-launch we could see that everywhere). They can't do that with Forza, and MFS won't be a new game.

That's why I listed those 3 games: Everwild, Perfect Dark, and Hellblade II. Fable would also be in this list, but it's too soon for that.

My point is that they created The Initiative for Perfect Dark. That is XGS's A-team -- handpicked veteran developers to create the best possible team. They were billing it as the industry's first AAAA game. So we have the best team, full freedom, full financial and creative backing of MS, the most-powerful* console: here is what we came up with.

That'd make the difference for MS. If that game looks and feels better Ratchet & Clank does at the moment, for example, that will be a massive statement by Xbox. They need a showstopper like that this E3.

I think it's too soon sadly for those, I think you might get project mara instead of hellblade 2 and you might get something about Everwild but not alot. I think you might be disappointed with your current expectations/hopes from Xbox. I think an E3 when they announced a halo, forza and Starfield date will be seen as a successful E3 by most especially if they follow up with the dates for the indies that they have lined up like The Gunk, 12 Minute, The Ascent and a possible BF6 gamepass deal.

No I'm not

What you do think Ninja Theory are doing?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

90+ metacritic Xbox IP

Flight Simulator is not a Xbox IP. Only on Windows.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Thoughts on AoE? Xbox is Microsoft's gaming division, sales of Flight Sim goes into the Xbox division.
AoE and FS existed before Xbox was a thing. If MS really counts their profits on the xbox division for whatever reasons, still doesn´t make them Xbox games.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
MS won't have any console exclusives going forward. Xbox is a platform and the games will be exclusive to those platforms or pc
Uh....Halo Infinite.....MS Flight Simulator....are the first.....they aren't on PS or Switch. I'm talking about new games that will release on Xbox (I'm only talking consoles not PC)

Top Bottom