• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox CFO Talks Bethesda Exclusivity; “We Want Bethesda Content to be First or Better or Best on Xbox Platforms”

quest

Not Banned from OT
Why did the Xbox CFO state that they want future Bethesda games to be 'better or first' on Xbox platforms.

Look you guys can say what you like. Everyone has their opinion. Some Bethesda games are coming to PS and/or Nintendo. That's how I feel this deal will go. I have no clue which games but some of them will be released on both Xbox and competing platforms.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong but it's not too difficult to see the above being a possibility when the Bethesda deal is done.

Sure service and games under contract. I'm sure India Jones by ip has to be on the ps5. So the series x will be the lead platform with extra content and performance being the lead platform.

wolffy71

Banned
I'm gonna state that if they really meant they didn't want to keep content off other platforms, they would have zero exclusives. Clearly that's not the case. Hes just spinning. Maybe xbox doesn't want to fuel a acquisition war. Idk

Rac3r

Again we're going to need to see something official..
I did not make the claim.... You did..

I actually didn't believe him either but after some quick research it seems that he's right. Mexico is crazy about Xbox, particularly the 360. The PS4 and Xbox One are pretty close though. Interesting stuff...

Regarding the market share of fixed consoles, as a whole, the equipment manufactured by Microsoft (Xbox) maintains the first place in the country, with a proportion of 57.9%, practically without significant changes compared to the previous year (56.4%) . In second place is Sony (Playstation), whose joint participation is 24.0% of the total, with a reduction compared to the 29.3% registered the previous year. Finally, Nintendo consoles represent 18.1% of the total and exceed the weight of 14.3% registered last year.

unnamed-1-3.png

Yep, complete and total waste to not have any significant advantage at all. Day One on Game Pass isn't enough of one. They need to also be exclusive for it to matter.
They'll NEVER come close to making the money back that those games cost to make having them day one on GP let alone the cost of the acquisition. They should use Sony's sales advantage to subsidize game pass, they'd sell millions on PS5 and still be able to talk about out it's included in their service on day one. GP isn't going to bring playstation gamers over, they aren't going to leave PS5 for ES6 in significant numbers either so they may as well make some money off of a competitor.

They'll NEVER come close to making the money back that those games cost to make having them day one on GP let alone the cost of the acquisition. They should use Sony's sales advantage to subsidize game pass, they'd sell millions on PS5 and still be able to talk about out it's included in their service on day one. GP isn't going to bring playstation gamers over, they aren't going to leave PS5 for ES6 in significant numbers either so they may as well make some money off of a competitor.
As much as I hear that Sony platforms are the only salvation for MS to find financial success can anyone tell me how much it costs to produce PS5 games? They couldn't use their own dev tools and they'd have to use Sony’s and pay Sony for that privilege. All the R&D making their GDK for their platforms would not aid them in making PS5 games. PS5 doesn't use DX12 and there is an argument that the PS5 doesn't even support all the features the XSX|S can. On top of all that every unit sold Sony takes a cut, and every developer working PS5 titles isn't making Xbox games. Making PS5 games also isn't building Gamepass either. How does making
PS5 games benefit MS more than making Xbox games?

Genx3

In one sentence you've managed to lump PC, Xbox, Microsoft, Streaming, IOS and fucking Android all in one boat.
Be mindful when making comparisons you have to make like for like comparisons. Obviously MS as a whole makes more money than Sony does in a year. That is not up for debate and I don't see what this has to do with the conversation of putting games on competing platforms.

I'll tell you what it has to do with the conversation, MS, Xbox, XGS all do NOT need the extra money from Play Station sales. Especially considering it hurts their long term goals of getting people to buy into their eco system.

A customer in their eco system will mean that XGS will make the whole profit off their 1st party games, a potential Xbox Live subscriber, a potential Game Pass Subscriber, controller sales, etc.. The cherry on top of course is that XGS will also earn 3rd party Royalties from every 3rd party game sold on their console.

MS/Xbox are looking for the long term benefits of these acquisitions.

lol what sales advantage? Theres like 5 million ps5s out there. Thats nothing compared to the pc + cloud market.

If no one could ignore the ps5 base, we wouldn't have exclusives on nintendo hardware or xbox at all.

The only one that benefits from xbox studios games on ps5 is Sony. Only fanboys think MS gets anything out of releasing games on ps5. I wonder why.

NickFire

lol what sales advantage? Theres like 5 million ps5s out there. Thats nothing compared to the pc + cloud market.

If no one could ignore the ps5 base, we wouldn't have exclusives on nintendo hardware or xbox at all.

The only one that benefits from xbox studios games on ps5 is Sony. Only fanboys think MS gets anything out of releasing games on ps5. I wonder why.
There's plenty of argument to be had about short-term v. long term benefits of being exclusive, whether being exclusive meaningfully grows gp subscriptions, etc. But using the word fanboys right after claiming only Sony benefits from being exclusive is the proverbial pot calling the kettle black, and misses an elephant in the room. MS would keep 70% of all revenue from sales on PS, possibly more if they have a special competitor's deal. That is an absolute benefit. Call it miniscule compared to the loss if you believe it. But denying its existence while throwing out the fanboys word is just nonsensical.

There's plenty of argument to be had about short-term v. long term benefits of being exclusive, whether being exclusive meaningfully grows gp subscriptions, etc. But using the word fanboys right after claiming only Sony benefits from being exclusive is the proverbial pot calling the kettle black, and misses an elephant in the room. MS would keep 70% of all revenue from sales on PS, possibly more if they have a special competitor's deal. That is an absolute benefit. Call it miniscule compared to the loss if you believe it. But denying its existence while throwing out the fanboys word is just nonsensical.
You could make that argument for literally every platform holder out there. Spider Man would sell an additional 10 million copies on pc + xbox. Thats 70% revenue for free. I'll leave it to you to figure out why they aren't doing that.

7.5 billion for timed exclusivity, you guys are delusional.
When they announce select Bethesda games are still going to launch on PlayStation systems, it's comments like these that will end up making people look like idiots considering we don't know the details of the deal and not one Xbox executive has come out to put an end to the rumors of multiplatform launches of future Bethesda titles.

But fanboys gonna fanboy.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This thread again... I doubt MS is still debating these things, and likely won't fully discuss them with Bethesda until the purchase goes through.

But obviously some sort of exclusivity is the idea.

Warablo

When they announce select Bethesda games are still going to launch on PlayStation systems, it's comments like these that will end up making people look like idiots considering we don't know the details of the deal and not one Xbox executive has come out to put an end to the rumors of multiplatform launches of future Bethesda titles.

But fanboys gonna fanboy.
They literally can't talk about it until the deal goes through. Plus executives are trained not the bring up the competition by name/etc.

They could have literally did nothing, and spent less if they wanted Bethesda games on Game Pass from day 1. You don't buy a semi-struggling developer for billions of dollars, then in turn keep the business exactly how they were running it to make your money back. The only way these games are getting on a Sony console is through Game Pass.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I'm sure PS players will just hop onto their ultra-mega-high-end PCs when Bethesda games are announced as Xbox/PC exclusive.

Shouldn't be any issues since we know they all own one.
This retarded nonsense seemingly gets spouted by Xbox dunces on a weekly basis now. Xboys don't seem to understand that these Bethesda games are like all others - which means graphics and performance will be best on PC. 12 teraflops really isn't going to matter 😛.

They literally can't talk about it until the deal goes through. Plus executives are trained not the bring up the competition by name/etc.

They could have literally did nothing, and spent less if they wanted Bethesda games on Game Pass from day 1. You don't buy a semi-struggling developer for billions of dollars, then in turn keep the business exactly how they were running it to make your money back. The only way these games are getting on a Sony console is through Game Pass.
There would have been games in development for PS5 before this buyout. Do you think development for PS5 just stop because Xbox now owns the studio? Or do they continue development of PS5 versions and recoup the costs through sales on that platform.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Like Phil said, they no longer see Playstation as their primary competitor. They've just shifted focus to a wider market strategy where they see Gamepass as being their key offering, not the Xbox consoles specifically.

This is how you transition to a primarily digital model. They aren't going to give up on selling Xboxes, but, they no longer need Xboxes to be the top-selling hardware in order to turn a profit. Its the reality of basing your business performance based on MAU not units shifted.
X-Cloud is miles away from helping MS turn a profit on GamePass. Can you really imagine people exclusively subscribing to GamePass on their iPad.

Despite all MS's bluster, selling Xbox's is absolutely vital to their business for the foreseeable future, and the only reason they hide sales numbers and downplay it's importance is because they don't meet expectations and are well behind their rivals.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
X-Cloud is miles away from helping MS turn a profit on GamePass. Can you really imagine people exclusively subscribing to GamePass on their iPad.

Despite all MS's bluster, selling Xbox's is absolutely vital to their business for the foreseeable future, and the only reason they hide sales numbers and downplay it's importance is because they don't meet expectations and are well behind their rivals.
Id say in the Series X|S vs PS5 they are in a near dead heat. It seems regions are won by how many consoles they shipped.

We will see if that lasts all gen, but it seems MS right now is in a position that it can strip away some of that lead from PS like they did in the 360 gen.

Everyone that says they don’t want to sell consoles is delusional though, since they have brought more consoles to market vs the competition since that Rumor began.

Of course they want to sell consoles, or they wouldn’t make more of them.

Its just not their only factor for profitability now, they can make money outside of consoles while still selling them.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I don't know what people are bickering about. I would like GT7 and LOU2 etc on my Xbox but I can't. I accept it, I'll have to buy a PS5. And Playstation owners should think like this regarding Bethesda games from now until all is revealed. And if they are still available on Playstation its a bonus and if they aren't and you want to play them you are going to have to get a PC or Xbox.

See how simple that is. Close the thread :)

pasterpl

There would have been games in development for PS5 before this buyout. Do you think development for PS5 just stop because Xbox now owns the studio? Or do they continue development of PS5 versions and recoup the costs through sales on that platform.

from pure busienss point of view it makes sense to finsh these and publish to recoup the cost, it might be that they publish anything that they have got already in development so they don’t waste that work, but ps5 projects that have not started development yet or are in early stages can be cancelled ...good that it is not long before this transaction closes and ms can show us their cards and share their strategy

reksveks

from one busienss point of view it makes sense to finsh these and publish to recoup the cost, it might be that they publish anything that they have got already in development so they don’t waste that work, but ps5 projects that have not started development yet or are in early stages can be cancelled ...good that it is not long before this transaction closes and ms can show us their cards and share their strategy
Fixed it, you can have different pov's regarding what make sense.

from pure busienss point of view it makes sense to finsh these and publish to recoup the cost, it might be that they publish anything that they have got already in development so they don’t waste that work, but ps5 projects that have not started development yet or are in early stages can be cancelled ...good that it is not long before this transaction closes and ms can show us their cards and share their strategy
I feel like they would have already mentioned any game they plan on releasing on PS5. They did it with Deathloop and Ghostwire saying any prior contracts would be honored. They only mentioned Xbox when talking about Starfield so it's not really far fetched to assume they plan to make it exclusive regardless of the work they put into the ps5 version.

Not that it matters, I'm pretty sure we will get answers in the coming weeks when the deal is finished. Media will straight up ask them "Is Starfield coming to PS5" and if they refuse to answer we can assume its coming to ps5.

MonarchJT

Banned
I feel like they would have already mentioned any game they plan on releasing on PS5. They did it with Deathloop and Ghostwire saying any prior contracts would be honored. They only mentioned Xbox when talking about Starfield so it's not really far fetched to assume they plan to make it exclusive regardless of the work they put into the ps5 version.

Not that it matters, I'm pretty sure we will get answers in the coming weeks when the deal is finished. Media will straight up ask them "Is Starfield coming to PS5" and if they refuse to answer we can assume its coming to ps5.
I think they will use Starfield to counter Deathloop and Ghostwire contracts that they forced to comply.Otherwise paradoxically, the Sony platform would receive more titles than Ms. Probably a Starfield ps5 version was already in production and depends on the situation released after 1/2 years. Nothing is certain.

Last edited:
I think they will use Starfield to counter Deathloop and Ghostwire contracts that they forced to comply.Otherwise paradoxically, the Sony platform would receive more titles than Ms. Probably a Starfield ps5 version was already in production and depends on the situation released after 1/2 years. Nothing is certain.
Yes, the optics would be quite bad if MS actually released more PS5 games than Xbox. I have no doubt they scrapped the PS5 version just like they did with Gears Of War 3 back then. The cost of that must have been calculated into the 7.5B.

MonarchJT

Banned
Yes, the optics would be quite bad if MS actually released more PS5 games than Xbox. I have no doubt they scrapped the PS5 version just like they did with Gears Of War 3 back then. The cost of that must have been calculated into the 7.5B.
If Sony have Deathloop and Ghostwire timed exclusives ..I'm like 99.9% sure that Ms will make Starfield xbox/pc exclusive

Last edited:

Genx3

If the game was already deep into PS5 development I expect the game to get finished and be a timed exclusive to Xbox if the game doesn't already have a prior deal for exclusivity with Sony.
If the game is starting production I expect it to be a full XGS exclusive.

Just my opinion.

Again we're going to need to see something official..
I did not make the claim.... You did..

You do know that Google works for you too right? And seeing as apparently we're now needing to provide sources for our claims, we're gonna need you to provide a source for this,
Like?

Maybe in the 360 years but Mexico has moved on, they all want playstations now..

Coming from the mexican community in Los Angeles and having two mfg plants in different parts of Mexico...
Maybe you have something official to contradict the anecdotal?
or you can kindly stfu, and go find some other argument to lose.

I've got a feeling he isn't going to reply. I've been hella busy with work, and things all week, and just got back to reading through this.

I've got a feeling he's been busy all week as well. Trying to find sources to support his claim. Looks like he'll be busy for awhile.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sure service and games under contract. I'm sure India Jones by ip has to be on the ps5. So the series x will be the lead platform with extra content and performance being the lead platform.
all depends on contracts signed. am sure marvel would prefer Spiderman on all consoles but sony have the rights, depends if the contract gives them the rights to have it where they want it. I suspect it will be multipatform though

Astral Dog

Im still a little bitter over this, Bethesda didn’t need to be bought they have a healthy lineup on all systems and were doing just fine on their own, very aggresive acquisition, the implication being they only spend the money to block games for other platforms. Though we don't even know to what extent(Doom ports on Nintendo? Year late PlayStation versions?)

A little confusing 😞

You do realise by keeping Zenimax games exclusive to Microsoft's ecosystem they will shift even more consoles and increase their revenue, by keeping their games exclusive. Elder Scrolls games will shift consoles, It's a console seller, expecially with Mod support.

Microsoft doesn't need PlayStation.

Plantoid

My bad. Got the completely wrong statistic there. Was for the the OG PlayStation

PS4 numbers are

33 million in the US

42 million in the EU (which is nearly 2 years old)

9 million in Japan

And yes the rest of the world which will obviously be in favour to PS due to Xbox's poor support for non-english speakers
Sorry I had to reply, "xbox poor support for non-english speakers"???

Dude here in brazil almost all games have translations, even dubbed, outside of brazil most of latin america speaks Spanish which is in every game also...

I work at retailer as a salesman, ps4 still sells like hot cakes, but I've sold lots of series S, series X is out of stock since it's launch, glad I picked one
Gamepass is cheaper than netflix here, everyone that hears this wants a xbox (it's a poor country)

Gamepass price: R$44,99
Ps5 games: R$289,99...

Sorry I had to reply, "xbox poor support for non-english speakers"???

Dude here in brazil almost all games have translations, even dubbed, outside of brazil most of latin america speaks Spanish which is in every game also...

I work at retailer as a salesman, ps4 still sells like hot cakes, but I've sold lots of series S, series X is out of stock since it's launch, glad I picked one
Gamepass is cheaper than netflix here, everyone that hears this wants a xbox (it's a poor country)

Gamepass price: R$44,99
Ps5 games: R$289,99...

Yes poor support.

PlayStation has better localisation. It's a fact and why they dominate world wide.

One of the most basic things they lack is a mandetory policy for listing supported languages for games

You're one country in south america, and funny enough Xbox is supported in less than half the countries in south america. PlayStation supports nearly all of them. Further proving my point

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Id say in the Series X|S vs PS5 they are in a near dead heat. It seems regions are won by how many consoles they shipped.

We will see if that lasts all gen, but it seems MS right now is in a position that it can strip away some of that lead from PS like they did in the 360 gen.

Everyone that says they don’t want to sell consoles is delusional though, since they have brought more consoles to market vs the competition since that Rumor began.

Of course they want to sell consoles, or they wouldn’t make more of them.

Its just not their only factor for profitability now, they can make money outside of consoles while still selling them.
The PS5 has sold more units, and there is way more demand. The US market is the only one where MS can expect to get relatively close, elsewhere in major markets that isn't happening.

For this reason expect MS to continue to hide sales figures in favour of meaningless PR statements.

Mikey Jr.

I plan on only having a ps5 this gen, and yes,playing the next elder scrolls and fallout on my ps5 would be awesome.

But if they were exclusive, honestly, I'll just cloud stream them. I'll survive.

Top Bottom