• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox CFO Talks Bethesda Exclusivity; “We Want Bethesda Content to be First or Better or Best on Xbox Platforms”

I'm not saying that Playstation won't get the games (if it does, that's pretty awesome for PS players), but why would MS do it if they have Xbox install base, PC install base and the fucking mobile install base with their xCloud service.

Think again if MS really needs the install base of Playstation platforms when they are trying to catch the two biggest in the world (PC and Mobile).
Xbox Install base is half of PS. PC install base is far less profitable than console sales, Tod Howard said so back when they stated releasing Elder scroll games on console. As for mobile? Good luck breaking down the existing saturated market. It might happen but i don't see you convincing those who want FreetoPlay lootboxes to pay a monthly fee too.

As a PC gamer myself I always wonder why Xbox customers seem to be entirely ignorant about PC gaming. And worse, despite their ignorance they also make up numbers and "facts" about PC games that were clearly wrong.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
"First or best or better on Xbox" obviously means it will be available elsewhere, otherwise it makes no sense saying that. You can't be first or better if there's no one else. Xbox CFO knows more than Xbox fanboys.

Biggest Bethesda games wouldn't bypass a 100 million+ user platform like Playstation right now, it would cost too much money to make gamepass relevant financially. You can't try to make a platform profitable while bleeding money on high budget games like that. Still, they could become full exclusives many years from now, if Gamepass is highly successful and Playstation is losing steam one day, because cost would become lower.

It doesn't matter much this gen anyway, the main game is Elder Scrolls and it probably won't even be released this gen. As a side note, as a PC / PS5 user, it wouldn't change anything for me anyway if I want to play Elder Scrolls.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
"First or best or better on Xbox" obviously means it will be available elsewhere, otherwise it makes no sense saying that. You can't be first or better if there's no one else. Xbox CFO knows more than Xbox fanboys.

Biggest Bethesda games wouldn't bypass a 100 million+ user platform like Playstation right now, it would cost too much money to make gamepass relevant financially. You can't try to make a platform profitable while bleeding money on high budget games like that. Still, they could become full exclusives many years from now, if Gamepass is highly successful and Playstation is losing steam one day, because cost would become lower.

It doesn't matter much this gen anyway, the main game is Elder Scrolls and it probably won't even be released this gen. As a side note, as a PC / PS5 user (the ultimate combo), it wouldn't change anything for me anyway if I want to play Elder Scrolls.
the 100+ millions bs need to end ....Phil Spencer in person said that he don't need playstation userbase or sales. And I'm sure he know more than sony fanboys xbox fanboys and xbox cfo(that repeated his own version of initial pre-acquisition "law controlled" Spencer words ). Also he was clearly pointing at exclusivity wording it with "whatever it mean"

Last edited:
Reinvesting your profits back into your business isn't poor managment. Nintendo is cruising along stashing their profits in the bank and their customers are suffering for it with nothing but ports
Profits are profits, no matter how you use them. You also have zero evidence for your claims tbh.

Playstation profits are low because the PS4 is mostly a FIFA/COD/NFL machine and because there's a lot of price dumping going on with Sony's first party titles.

Larvana

Reading isn’t someone’s strong suit. Let me clear up the misinformation.

Microsoft as a whole made $15.5B profit, Xbox is a sub-division under that tent pole. They did not share detailed numbers or breakdown for Xbox, just that overall revenue was $5B dollar for Xbox in Q3. Nothing on operating cost or net income, and for good reason too.
You do know Microsoft itself is more involved this time around due to certain circumstances, right? Or have you not been following.

Profits are profits, no matter how you use them. You also have zero evidence for your claims tbh.

Playstation profits are low because the PS4 is mostly a FIFA/COD/NFL machine and because there's a lot of price dumping going on with Sony's first party titles.

Look at how many new games are coming out from Nintendo's first party vs Playstations first party and there's your evidence. And its certainly no secret that on a game by game basis Sony's costs more to make than Nintendo

And it has nothing to do with it being a third party machine.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Reading isn’t someone’s strong suit. Let me clear up the misinformation.

Microsoft as a whole made $15.5B profit, Xbox is a sub-division under that tent pole. They did not share detailed numbers or breakdown for Xbox, just that overall revenue was $5B dollar for Xbox in Q3. Nothing on operating cost or net income, and for good reason too.
It's cute how some don't want to see the facts here Nadella words:

“But the broader vision we have is to ensure that the 3 billion gamers out there are able to play their games, anywhere they want with all the content they want and with whom they want to. And that's really what we are building our strategy around. You've seen us double our content portfolio with ZeniMax acquisition, you see us make advances in our community efforts and our subscription offers with Game Pass. And that's what you can expect from us. We are absolutely very, very much focused on gaming, and ensuring that all the 3 billion gamers around the world get the best content, best community and the best cloud services to power their gaming experiences going forward.”

I would like to understand who people thinks funded all the acquisitions and especially the 7.5b for Bethesda if not the entire Ms as entire company Phil Spencer in person or Tim dog made a fans founding on twitter?
The infinite warchest™ that most laughed for year at ...turned out to be real and now they are just in shock denial.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I've got a PS4 Pro and that's irrelevant to the thread which is about Zenimax. I just think it might be a way of playing these games on PS5 if they are made exclusive.

I agree, you were off topic (trolling again, I guess). Playing those games would be easy, just use a PC... That's why PC / PS5 is the ultimate combo, you can play any game with it. Just add a Switch if you're into Nintendo games.

Riky

$MSFT
I agree, you were off topic (trolling again, I guess). Playing those games would be easy, just use a PC... That's why PC / PS5 is the ultimate combo, you can play any game with it. Just add a Switch if you're into Nintendo games.

I'm trolling when I'm talking about the subject at hand as in Zenimax games, you start going on about PS Plus and PS exclusives, massive hypocrite.

Riky

$MSFT
You just admitted being off topic. Which I agreed with. The topic isn't gamepass or PS5 web browser here. I was just replying to your trolling attempt, nothing more.

I'm on topic, saying there may be a way of playing Zenimax games on PS5 even if they do become exclusives, which we'll find out soon enough. They will all be on Gamepass and they are working on a web browser solution for that.

I'm on topic, saying there may be a way of playing Zenimax games on PS5 even if they do become exclusives, which we'll find out soon enough. They will all be on Gamepass and they are working on a web browser solution for that.

That would still be an xbox platform

Azurro

Banned
the 100+ millions bs need to end ....Phil Spencer in person said that he don't need playstation userbase or sales. And I'm sure he know more than sony fanboys xbox fanboys and xbox cfo(that repeated his own version of initial pre-acquisition "law controlled" Spencer words ). Also he was clearly pointing at exclusivity wording it with "whatever it mean"

You really are out of your depth in multiple topics. A ceo that says they don't need a userbase of 100+ to sell their product to is either an imbecile, or he's lying.

He's buying Bethesda to see if they can grow Gamepass to the point of profitability, because that thing is a money pit at the moment. He's bullshiting around because he doesn't want issues with the regulators, which can block the sale due suspicions of monopolistic behavior, that's the only reason he's making those idiotic statements.

You are not using your brain.

MonarchJT

Banned
You really are out of your depth in multiple topics. A ceo that says they don't need a userbase of 100+ to sell their product to is either an imbecile, or he's lying.

He's buying Bethesda to see if they can grow Gamepass to the point of profitability, because that thing is a money pit at the moment. He's bullshiting around because he doesn't want issues with the regulators, which can block the sale due suspicions of monopolistic behavior, that's the only reason he's making those idiotic statements.

You are not using your brain.
I think all the sony ceo in the last 20 years must be for you completely imbecile then. seeing how they did and continue to skip pc xbox nintendo and mobile platforms millions and millions of users
Again stop to with this asinine speech microsoft bought bethesda to make its platform interesting. No one spend 7.5b to have timed exclusives lol. past the period of the old contracts already signed by Bethesda before the acquisition we will hardly see their titles if not on Xbox pc and xcloud.
I answer in multiple thread just because there are multiple threads talking about this

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either first or better or best or pick your differentiated experience, on our platforms.

Such marketing statements give a deep insight and show where Microsoft has its focus and always had in the past. You simply have to become aware of the meaning of this sentence, which could also read exactly:

But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either late/last or worse or worst on other platforms.

Except for the natural competition factor, I think MS has brought virtually nothing useful to customers. The obvious goal is to have games and content not come out at all, late, or worse on other platforms. Now Sony and Co. may often act similarly, but at least they have other pillars and do not create their own value exclusively by destroying the values of others and their customers.

reksveks

Not MAKE.....KEEP.

As soon as the bs about Microsoft not needing to make money because they have so much. They just doubled the price of gold.
You are assuming a motivation for Microsoft there. I think that they just want to speed up the shift of users from Live to Gamepass Ultimate.

It was a shit move.

Azurro

Banned
I think all the sony ceo in the last 20 years must be for you completely imbecile then. seeing how they did and continue to skip pc xbox nintendo and mobile platforms millions and millions of users
Again stop to with this asinine speech microsoft bought bethesda to make its platform interesting. No one spend 7.5b to have timed exclusives lol. past the period of the old contracts already signed by Bethesda before the acquisition we will hardly see their titles if not on Xbox pc and xcloud.
I answer in multiple thread just because there are multiple threads talking about this

Again, once more, engage your brain, because you are not reading. I've said multiple times that Bethesda's titles will be exclusive to Xbox and PC, that it's ridiculous to expect new projects to be multiplatform.

What I take object to is the mental gymnastics on how a statement as idiotic as "we don't need a 100+ million userbase to have have profitable Bethesda ganes" is hailed as truth by you. Use your brain, they didn't buy Bethesda for their profitability, he's just giving a bullshit answer. MS is buying it to make GamePass more attractive and bring it to profitability, because right now it's a money pit, but with potential. I'll spell it out for you: they can't care less if they don't profit from Bethesda directly, it's all about Gamepass.

MonarchJT

Banned
Such marketing statements give a deep insight and show where Microsoft has its focus and always had in the past. You simply have to become aware of the meaning of this sentence, which could also read exactly:

Except for the natural competition factor, I think MS has brought virtually nothing useful to customers. The obvious goal is to have games and content not come out at all, late, or worse on other platforms. Now Sony and Co. may often act similarly, but at least they have other pillars and do not create their own value exclusively by destroying the values of others and their customers.
if for you having all bethesda games on gp for 9.99 month is nothing i don't know what could be a good thing. They could release everything everywhere, releasing games on gamepass would make instantly other rival platforms look like as if they are stealing your money. Who would like to pay 69.99 euros for the new ES when you can have that + other 300+ games for 9.99 i mean is embarassing for how it sound already.

FrankWza

You are assuming a motivation for Microsoft there. I think that they just want to speed up the shift of users from Live to Gamepass Ultimate.

It was a shit move.
Maybe. But they would be assuming every single customer would go to ultimate which is never going to happen unless they remove the gold only option altogether. It would still be a doubling for the majority of their subscribers. It’s one thing to coerce people into a better deal, and another thing removing the option altogether.

FrankWza

Who would like to pay 69.99 euros for the new ES when you can have that + other 300+ games for 9.99 i mean is embarassing for how it sound already.
It would. But do you really think once the catalog of games grows they will still offer gp for $9.99 or gpu with all of these discounted deals? The price will go up at some point

MonarchJT

Banned
Again, once more, engage your brain, because you are not reading. I've said multiple times that Bethesda's titles will be exclusive to Xbox and PC, that it's ridiculous to expect new projects to be multiplatform.

What I take object to is the mental gymnastics on how a statement as idiotic as "we don't need a 100+ million userbase to have have profitable Bethesda ganes" is hailed as truth by you. Use your brain, they didn't buy Bethesda for their profitability, he's just giving a bullshit answer. MS is buying it to make GamePass more attractive and bring it to profitability, because right now it's a money pit, but with potential. I'll spell it out for you: they can't care less if they don't profit from Bethesda directly, it's all about Gamepass.
must be the english) I think that we are saying the same thing in the end.
We don't know the gamepass numbers but we do know that it has a really high growth rate. Many like to think it's a money-sucking black hole, I personally don't think that's the case. or at least not as much as many believe. It is clear that the acquisition of Bethesda is to increase gp users and that is why I say that Microsoft will not care about the number of users on the PlayStation platform. There is no mental gymnastics, on the contrary, those who report every 2 posts "Microsoft cannot give up Sony's user base"

MonarchJT

Banned
It would. But do you really think once the catalog of games grows they will still offer gp for $9.99 or gpu with all of these discounted deals? The price will go up at some point
Maybe it will, time will tell. As right now we seen sony exclusives raise the price up to 80 euros and that's a fact. I say 2 games 160 euros is already an big investment if GP base would grow instantly to 15 it would look like if you buying 2 other rival platform games but you're getting hundreds back and new games on launch day. It is true that the prices of physical games drop over time, but with gamepass you don't even need to think about this, and in any case, annual gamepass subscriptions also can on offer. It's a win win situation for the users

quest

Not Banned from OT
We don't know the gamepass numbers but we do know that it has a really high growth rate. Many like to think it's a money-sucking black hole, I personally don't think that's the case. or at least not as much as many believe. It is clear that the acquisition of Bethesda is to increase gp users and that is why I say that Microsoft will not care about the number of users on the PlayStation platform. There is no mental gymnastics, on the contrary, those who report every 2 posts "Microsoft cannot give up Sony's user base"
Yep and gamepass users are Xbox owners for the most part. So to grow gamepass they need to grow Xbox sales and to do that they need big exclusives. Funny one side says exclusives sell consoles but then says only Sony can have exclusives lol. Microsoft knows they can only grow gamepass so far right now with the Xbox one install base so need to start with the series base. The cloud is a decade off from serious numbers and pc gamers are steam gamers. So zenimax games outside contracts and service games are going to be on one consoles to try and boost series s-x sales to boost gamepass sales.

Gatox

Banned
So much written with so many assumptions that are wrong. There's a simple fact with Xbox/MS now, everything they are doing is concentrated on getting as many people as possible into their subscription model, they have pretty much admitted as much many many times. So the only question you need to ask regarding Bethesda games in future is what will work best for Xbox/Ms regarding their current targeted objectives, and its pretty obviously to use exclusivity to get people into their subscription model.

Azurro

Banned

Mental gymnastics from everyone are silly, but how can't you see your own? You were doing your best gymnastics routine by stating how it's totally ok for profitability of Bethesda and came up with some numbers that not even you can understand. It's not that I like to think it's a money hole, it is not profitable, MS themselves have confirmed this.

Phil Spencer is bullshiting people, but it's not like it's the first time.

MonarchJT

Banned
Mental gymnastics from everyone are silly, but how can't you see your own? You were doing your best gymnastics routine by stating how it's totally ok for profitability of Bethesda and came up with some numbers that not even you can understand. It's not that I like to think it's a money hole, it is not profitable, MS themselves have confirmed this.

Phil Spencer is bullshiting people, but it's not like it's the first time.
i said that microsoft doesn't really care at the moment about sony users as people constantly refer to them to deny a possible exclusivity of Bethesda games, because I think Bethesda serves to push users on the platform precisely . I also said I don't know the numbers produced by GP microsoft only released the number of current users. And finally I gave as an example the cost of the acquisition and how much a company like Ms profits each Q. I honestly can't care less if Phil is telling the truth or lies. GamePass is there and I only pay 15 euros to get back a godsend of stuff if these are the results of lies ... let him lie for life.

Last edited:
So? If we the quality is right, I'll keep subbing.

Besides, the most likely outcome is that there will be more tiers of gamepass. Standard tier with a set amount of games. 4.99 RGP pack, 4.99 FPS pack etc etc. Amazon is already doing something similar.

You just need to read what he said. It’s easy to see that they will be full exclusive in the future, of course games released today will not be pulled from Playstation and Nintendo, that’s what he is referring to.

The acquisition is not finished yet, so they can’t really say anything at all. But we will find out soon enough - next year.

no need for that, there are already multiple games running 120 FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS only on PS5 lol
Yeah....old games, what about new games made for the PS5 and Xbox X hardware?

Interfectum

He goes on to say he's not announcing anything too. Ya'll keep clinging to this comment, made before the deal was finalized, as if it means anything.

MS didn't spend $7.5 billion for timed GP exclusives guys. They could have spent a billion or so and saved themselves the headache of incorporating thousands of new MS employees.

Top Bottom