• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox CFO Talks Bethesda Exclusivity; “We Want Bethesda Content to be First or Better or Best on Xbox Platforms”

Kagey K

Banned
Because exclusivity is unfortunately the ABC of the world of consoles (and this concept was pushed to the extreme by Sony or Nientendo)and Xbox has been criticized for decades for the same reason. The fact that the games were on other platforms before is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant. Microsoft has tried to base its presence in the world of consoles on a few studios and focusing on third parties, even, incredibly naive, left the ownership of the IP to developers themselves. Finding himself later where to pay for the second time for titles like halo or gears. Sony has obliterated Ms from this point of view for too long Phil Spencer knows it and having a vision far removed from Mattrick's and with Nadella's support he is trying to straighten the course. Building a studio from scratch takes years and years but they started with 343i with the coalition with the initiative but they knew it wasn't enough especially now that they had to support a service that, without a continuous stream of content, it has no reason to exist. Gamepass. This is Bethesda's move and that is why many expect exclusivity.
While not the easiest to read, I agree with what you are saying.

MS has been the good guy honouring contracts and doing above board deals while the competitors have been hitting below the belt.

This is His chance now where he owns the IPS and the studios and can start to fight back.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Can't wait to see Bethesda games running better on PS5..

200.gif

I don't know why some people have this strong reaction to my post tbh. What is your problem? How am I a snob for not wanting an Xbox? I have a ps5 and a PC and that's enough for me. I'm used to the ecosystem, gui and controller and I don't care for Xbox exclusive games such as Halo etc + I never liked the Xbox gamepad. I simply have no need. Nothing to do with money or whatnot. If that somehow makes me less or a snob in your eyes that's entirely your problem. If u got time and energy for such nonsense, please, be my guest. Meanwhile Im enjoying the beauty of life. 🙏😘😍😜❤️
Namaste, bitches.

Azurro

Banned
While not the easiest to read, I agree with what you are saying.

MS has been the good guy honouring contracts and doing above board deals while the competitors have been hitting below the belt.

This is His chance now where he owns the IPS and the studios and can start to fight back.

MS is not a "good guy" for honouring contracts already in place. They have to either honor them or settle with Sony on a new agreement to compensate them, this isn't a kindergarten where they can just take all the Bethesda toys from all the other kids after the acquisition if they want to.

I'm also curious, what "hits below the belt" are you referring to? After the PS3 stumble, Sony's public communications are usually very centered, straightforward and honest, while MS is the one that likes to overhype and straight up lie about their products to try to get people excited about Xbox.

BTW, I'm not sure why we are still discussing this. All the vague statements is just theatre, of course all the games will be exclusive to them but they don't want the regulators to know that and accuse them of monopolistic practices and disapprove of the deal.

icerock

The Xbox division alone made almost enough profit last quarter to buy two Bethesda's.

Reading isn’t someone’s strong suit. Let me clear up the misinformation.

Microsoft as a whole made $15.5B profit, Xbox is a sub-division under that tent pole. They did not share detailed numbers or breakdown for Xbox, just that overall revenue was $5B dollar for Xbox in Q3. Nothing on operating cost or net income, and for good reason too.

Jokerevo

Banned
Lmao why is everyone so poor? If the games become an XsX exclusive I'll buy it. I bought a 360 for Dead Rising ffs. I mean PS and Nintendo have their own exclusives, the fridge should have some too.

But if they ain't exclusives then this proves that the strategy is all $$$ so eventually gamepass will become available on all systems. To ignore the opportunity to capture this part of the market would be stupid. Perhaps we'll see a new tier for gamepass... 😁

Come on, I need a reason to buy an XsX and The Mediocre or Halo Finite definitely aren't it.

If either of these titles are on PC then wtf is the point?

Reading isn’t someone’s strong suit. Let me clear up the misinformation.

Microsoft as a whole made $15.5B profit, Xbox is a sub-division under that tent pole. They did not share detailed numbers or breakdown for Xbox, just that overall revenue was $5B dollar for Xbox in Q3. Nothing on operating cost or net income, and for good reason too.
I thought this was common knowledge, no gaming division makes 15 billion profit in a quarter.

Jokerevo

Banned
People who say Microsoft just can't pass on Playstation because of the major player base:

While releasing a few on pc, why should Sony ignore the biggest platform when it's free money? It's all about the money.

Or is it only if we talk about Microsoft?

Also, why should Microsoft not make it exclusive to pc and Xbox? If they go multi plat then there really wasn't a reason to buy the studio at all.

They will never recover the 7.5 billion, even as a multiatform, and if their games wasn't meant to be system sellers, then Microsoft should just go multiplatform anyway.
You're missing the point of the acquisition. Gamepass is going to evolve into the Netflix of games. The point is to grow and grow and reinvest and acquire etc etc and that means Gamepass on Ps and Nintendo and Stadia etc etc.

Why is Minecraft Dungeons not only on Xbox and PC?

If you can't differentiate between Minecraft and all the other announced titles, there really is no helping you. Minecraft isn't a system seller. No one goes out and buys a console or a subscription for Minecraft.

Obsidian made multiplatform games before the acquisition. Now they don't. Hellblade was a PS4 timed exclusive and still HB2 skips PS5.

Some of you seriously overestimate the impact of skipping PS5 releases.

They still have Xbox, PC and streaming. and Bethesda games are biggest on PC anyways.

Kerotan

Just on square Enix. If Sony owned them they'd be crazy to make games like FF14 or future mmo PS exclusive. There are certain SE games that should launch on PC, switch or xbox.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You're missing the point of the acquisition. Gamepass is going to evolve into the Netflix of games. The point is to grow and grow and reinvest and acquire etc etc and that means Gamepass on Ps and Nintendo and Stadia etc etc.
Then why haven't they shut down their Xbox hardware? There's no future in it at all.

Why buy an Xbox if you can get game pass everywhere?

Lucikly for Microsoft, their department aren't run by you, otherwise they would have been put down long time ago so they could've been third party like Sega.

Game pass is not profitable for Microsoft. Xbox is. Why would Microsoft spread a service they can't make profit on?

I belive it when Microsoft confirms they are shutting the Xbox console down. In the meantime I'm trying to refill my popcorn while watching threads like this but its so damn hard in these covid 19 times.

Dabaus

Banned
The Xbox division alone made almost enough profit last quarter to buy two Bethesda's.

Sony made a 700 million profit from its ps division that has:
An installed base to 120 million
-1st party games that sell
- the bulk of third party games sales
-45 million ps plus suscrivers
-around 3 or 4 million people on PS where they actually pay 10 dollars a month and not 1 dollar coupons.
-Accessories like controllers sold out.

With all that they “only” made like 700 million profit.

Meanwhile Xbox:
-Stuck at around 50 million installed base.
-Virtually no new first party games besides Minecraft are selling
-Bulk of all third party games sell on PlayStation.
-Tried to double xbox gold prices because...
-A good portion of gamepass players use the 1 dollar coupons.
-Selling a 299 dollar “next gen” console that is no doubt taking a loss.

Sony made like 10 billion in revenue and only pulled in 700 million profit. Xbox made 5 billion revenue and we don’t know how “well” it actually did. If those revenues to profits from a healthy PlayStation division is anything to go by then your probably looking at 3-4 billion dollar loss on Xbox if not a lot more.

What about his comment makes you laugh?

He has stated he has invested a lot of money into the PS ecosystem, has all his friends on that platform and has been exclusively gaming on the platform for years due to the strong exclusive lineups. Investing in an entirely new platform requires more $$$. Something he may not be able to part with so easily.

Have no idea what is wrong with what he's saying unless you can fill us in on what you find hilarious with his post.
Read his post again. Where he said money is problem for him?

Watch all bethesda games decline in popularity if they go Xbox only. Future headlines will be like ”how to destroy a publisher in one generation” 🤣
Oblivion and Morrowind were Xbox and pc exclusives and i didnt see any decline in popularity. Bethesda RPGs biggest audience is on PC. Even today Skyrim sell hot cakes there and has more than PS version lifetime sales.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Sony made a 700 million profit from its ps division that has:
An installed base to 120 million
-1st party games that sell
- the bulk of third party games sales
-45 million ps plus suscrivers
-around 3 or 4 million people on PS where they actually pay 10 dollars a month and not 1 dollar coupons.
-Accessories like controllers sold out.

With all that they “only” made like 700 million profit.

Meanwhile Xbox:
-Stuck at around 50 million installed base.
-Virtually no new first party games besides Minecraft are selling
-Bulk of all third party games sell on PlayStation.
-Tried to double xbox gold prices because...
-A good portion of gamepass players use the 1 dollar coupons.
-Selling a 299 dollar “next gen” console that is no doubt taking a loss.

Sony made like 10 billion in revenue and only pulled in 700 million profit. Xbox made 5 billion revenue and we don’t know how “well” it actually did. If those revenues to profits from a healthy PlayStation division is anything to go by then your probably looking at 3-4 billion dollar loss on Xbox if not a lot more.
Maybe they should spend less on garbage like marketing deals and timed exclusives. I say poor management is why profits are so low when Nintendo prints money with out the psn plus revenue and big third party cut money.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I don't know why some people have this strong reaction to my post tbh. What is your problem? How am I a snob for not wanting an Xbox? I have a ps5 and a PC and that's enough for me. I'm used to the ecosystem, gui and controller and I don't care for Xbox exclusive games such as Halo etc + I never liked the Xbox gamepad. I simply have no need. Nothing to do with money or whatnot. If that somehow makes me less or a snob in your eyes that's entirely your problem. If u got time and energy for such nonsense, please, be my guest. Meanwhile Im enjoying the beauty of life. 🙏😘😍😜❤️
Namaste, bitches.
The problem right now and the overall anger actually stems from the people that bought 2 consoles thinking they would need one in order to play games that were going to be far superior on x because they were sold on it by the marketing. Now that theres parity and no exclusives on the horizon for x it’s a sore subject and a redundant purchase. Those that stick to one console like you are fine with what they have. It’s the “best version” console player that secretly has a preference and self loathes because of the other purchase. Fascinating really. Because usually the best version is in PC. It’s not about the $500...it’s about being sold on something they don’t need.

Fredrik

Watch all bethesda games decline in popularity if they go Xbox only. Future headlines will be like ”how to destroy a publisher in one generation” 🤣
Not if they’re on PC too, and they’ll have a bigger wallet now, exclusive or not the games will be awesome.

But I would expect lots of review bombing on metacritic from angry fanboys.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Are there still deluded Sony fanboys that think we're getting future Bethesda games??? Fuck sakes boys, take a wise and move on, we ain't getting next gen Starfield, ES6 or Fallout.. new Doom etc, that ship sailed when MS opened up that massive fucking wallet, stop embarrassing yourselves

Topher

Gold Member
If you can't differentiate between Minecraft and all the other announced titles, there really is no helping you. Minecraft isn't a system seller. No one goes out and buys a console or a subscription for Minecraft.

Obsidian made multiplatform games before the acquisition. Now they don't. Hellblade was a PS4 timed exclusive and still HB2 skips PS5.

They still have Xbox, PC and streaming. and Bethesda games are biggest on PC anyways.

Hellblade isn't a system seller either, but if you want to selectively embrace only the examples that fit then that's up to you. Fact is Microsoft has said they are going to look at exclusivity on a case by case basis. Seems they did that exact thing with both Hellblade 2 and Minecraft Dungeons. Not sure why anyone thinks they know what MS is going to do next.

I never said anything about the impact of skipping PS5 so no idea why you would associate me with arguments I never made. Microsoft already said they don't need PS5 to make their money back. And I agree with you their games will be most successful on PC as always. PC is where I will play it regardless.

Why isn't Hellblade 2 coming to PS5?

See? We have more questions than answers, don't we?

Last edited:
Maybe they should spend less on garbage like marketing deals and timed exclusives. I say poor management is why profits are so low when Nintendo prints money with out the psn plus revenue and big third party cut money.

Reinvesting your profits back into your business isn't poor managment. Nintendo is cruising along stashing their profits in the bank and their customers are suffering for it with nothing but ports

Last edited:
I guess his statement "I simply don't want an Xbox". He didn't say "I don't have the money" or "I don't want to/can't spend that much money". There is also no need for big investments, because of Game Pass and you also could go for Xbox All Access" if money is an issue. But i guess it isn't for someone that can spend thousands of dollars for games.
I'm not biased. I was close to picking up an Xbox Series S twice in the last few months. I too easily spent thousands on games on PS4. My library is currently sitting at over 160 games on PS4. It's not easy to just drop the platform and head over to Xbox. This is always the though that goes through my mind when I get the itch to pick up an Xbox. I have too much money invested in PS.
So I have to exercise a little patience and wait for PS5 though it does get very much more difficult by the day.

At the end of the day buying another console is yet more $$$. GamePass does help somewhat but understand money is money. Whether its $50 or a $1000. An Xbox will also require some kind of investment so now you have 2 platforms on which to spend money instead of 1. I can easily see the 2 platforms becoming 2 money pits for any hardcore gamer.

EDIT: Just to add, I have cousins and other family members who simply won't touch an Xbox despite it having games that interests them. They're just too used to gaming on PS exclusively for the longest time. My cousin sold his original Xbox after 6 months of ownership. I bought it for him as an Xmas gift.

Last edited:
Read his post again. Where he said money is problem for him?
No don't worry about that. I read his comment/post.
I asked you a question on why you found his post so funny?

Your post:
He has devoted his life to Sony's plastic box. Such people makes me laugh but hey it is what it is.

So what about he's comment you found funny or what makes you laugh that he is only gaming on one platform?

Last edited:
Are there still deluded Sony fanboys that think we're getting future Bethesda games??? Fuck sakes boys, take a wise and move on, we ain't getting next gen Starfield, ES6 or Fallout.. new Doom etc, that ship sailed when MS opened up that massive fucking wallet, stop embarrassing yourselves
Warchest.

Shmunter

I believe it’s been stated that Bathesda will be a seperate entity under Microsoft, not absorbed into Microsoft Game Studios. Bit sus eh?

FrankWza

I believe it’s been stated that Bathesda will be a seperate entity under Microsoft, not absorbed into Microsoft Game Studios. Bit sus eh?
I think the biggest and most telling thing if they did decide to keep everything on all consoles will end up being FoBoB.
FoBoB has got to make you question their intentions.

Topher

Gold Member
No don't worry about that. I read his comment/post.
I asked you a question on why you found his post so funny?

Your post:
He has devoted his life to Sony's plastic box. Such people makes me laugh but hey it is what it is.

So what about he's comment you found funny or what makes you laugh that he is only gaming on one platform?

And to add.....what is wrong with that? If a guy says "I'm only gaming on Xbox" then so what? What is with the hyperbole "devoted his life to Sony's plastic box", Silent Viper Silent Viper ? Nothing he said was tantamount to "devoting his life" to anything. But if he just wants to game on PS for the reasons then why is that somehow funny? The ridicule seems to come down to personal choices you don't agree with. Damn......that is one hell of a rabbit hole.

rabbit hole GIF

Cornbread78

So much gringe in one thread...... still....

- ESO will be multi plat
- ESVI, Starfield, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, Doom, Evil Within and any of those other future IPs where contracts didn't previously exist will be XBox/PC exclusive and not on Playstation/Nintendo consoles.

I play mostly on my PS5 and rarely on my Series X and I know this......

Last edited:
People really think Microsoft spent a billion dollars on a purchase to sell their games on other consoles?

Seriously? Be realistic guys.
Apparently MS is hurting for money and paying Sony for a PS5 developer license is their only option. Does anyone know how much MS will actually make with PS5 development? Doesn't it cost time, money, and manpower to create PS5 games? Plus Sony gets a cut off of every title sold. Is that cost less than using those resources to make more Xbox games? I wonder if MS knows this? They are pretty inept to pay 7 billion dollars for timed exclusives when Sony can do it for so much less. Doh!

MonarchJT

Banned
Many people should thank that ms didn't decide to pay a penalty and release Ghostwire and the other game on day One on gamepass even though they were timed exclusive lol that would have been a nice cold shower for Sony ahahha

Last edited:

Outrunner

There is no helping you.

MonarchJT

Banned

Phil made very loud and clear that they doesn't need playstation sales.
That said a world where people can think that sony can eat the cost to maintain an exclusive single-platform game deciding to leave money on the table to raise the value of the platform, and a company like ms that earns in 3 months as much as the entire PlayStation division in 10 years (figures pulled out of my ass to make understand the type of difference) is forced to give everything. makes me laugh with laughter.

Last edited:
Phil made very loud and clear that they doesn't need playstation sales.
That said a world where people can think that sony can eat the cost to maintain an exclusive single-platform game deciding to leave money on the table to raise the value of the platform, and a company like ms that earns in 3 months as much as the entire PlayStation division in 10 years is forced to give everything. makes me laugh with laughter.
Reading bs like this makes me chuckle with... You guessed right chuckles.:messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

MonarchJT

Banned
Reading bs like this makes me chuckle with... You guessed right chuckles.:messenger_weary::messenger_ok:
well thats the reality pretty much. Obviously 10 years was too much to make the idea but we certainly can't compare the net profits of the two companies and then read legions of fanboys telling what Microsoft can or what it can't afford, compared to Sony.. And is for this reason that you can see multiple acquisitions followed by a 7.5b acquisition (sony entire company profit 2020 was around 10b right?).

Last edited:
I'm not saying that Playstation won't get the games (if it does, that's pretty awesome for PS players), but why would MS do it if they have Xbox install base, PC install base and the fucking mobile install base with their xCloud service.

Think again if MS really needs the install base of Playstation platforms when they are trying to catch the two biggest in the world (PC and Mobile).

MonarchJT

Banned
I'm not saying that Playstation won't get the games (if it does, that's pretty awesome for PS players), but why would MS do it if they have Xbox install base, PC install base and the fucking mobile install base with their xCloud service.

Think again if MS really needs the install base of Playstation platforms when they are trying to catch the two biggest in the world (PC and Mobile).
Everyone knows that there is a certain (finite) number of consoles that can be produced and sold in one gen. And by now we have realized that the numbers are there + or- 100/120 million consoles would seem the roof for a 7 year long gen. Obviously this quantity is taken at the end of the generation and obviously in the first years it is much lower. We know also that Sony will soon stop producing games for the ps4 by further decreasing its current user base to focus only on their next-gen console. From Microsoft's side, even taking as an example the worst of generations (Xbox one) and sum instantaneously the PC userbase (which is already there and differently from the console world does not need to grow during the gen) and everything that xcloud can bring is just the topping over the icecream. We already have successful cases thanks to this combination, Sea Of thieves probably if released only on console it would have been abandoned years ago instead today it is a record upon record. Ms releasing like this will always have a instant user advantage compared to a closed platform like the Sony one. no matter how much ps5 sold and shitty xbox series do. Also in the worst timeline selling just less than 50m consoles Ms would have still an enormous user reach advantage over a ps5 doing record sales of 120m (remember that those are users just at the end of the gen). So whenever I hear someone say that Ms MUST release games on PlayStation because of their userbase meanwhile sony didn't have to care about anything I would like to send everyone off to math lessons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom