• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Boss Praises PS5’s DualSense, Says Companies Should Learn From Each Other (Hendrick's, GET ITT!!!™)

Microsoft executive Phil Spencer has said that he “applauds” Sony for how it has revamped its controller for the PlayStation 5, and said that the games industry needs to push innovation where possible.

In an interview with The Verge, Spencer added that companies should learn from each other, similar to how Sony and Microsoft attempted Move and Kinect, respectively, following Nintendo Wii’s success.
I applaud what they [Sony] did with the controller, not actually for — well, I shouldn’t say not for the specifics of the controller, but more than just the specifics of the controller. I think for all of us in the industry, we should learn from each other and the innovation that we all push on, whether it’s distribution of business model like Game Pass, or controller tech, or the Wii back in the day, which clearly had an impact on us when we went off and did Kinect and Sony did the Move.
I think all of that innovation is something that we should all be looking at and learning and growing and saying, ‘Okay, what’s really going to break out and become a common part of a platform that developers and players are going to look for?’ Or, ‘What is more vertical around a specific scenario on a specific piece of hardware?’ We’re trying to be eyes open on that. For any technology, whether it’s a controller, or any VR, or anything."

XboxGAF looking at the mirror right now like:
T8Yi7md.jpg

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Or the people claiming the dual sense isn’t as cracked up to be will start praising it like the second coming.

They will give it a new name like Xbox Real Play Technology and take a random metric and boast about it and threads will pick it up and say that is why DS was shit but Real Play is the real deal, it was worth the wait, etc...

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
I'm glad Phil has moved away from his stance in the run up to current gen, before people got their hands on the DualSense.

"We think we have a good controller in the market today, so we didn't really feel like we needed to go back to square one to build a new controller." - Phil in December 2019

If there are no Sony patents then they should make a revision to the Series X controller and include a simmilar implementation of haptics.

Last edited:

IDappa

I'll give it 2 years before there's an Xbox version and then the people who said they would turn off haptics if they had a PS5 will suddenly be huge fans of the XSense Controller with hectic feedback and velocity triggers.
From what I have seen and read most people have been turning it off for online competitive games such as cod which is fair enough tbh..

IDappa

I said from the start, if the duelsense isn't a battery drainer and doesn't result in broken piece after a few months... MS will copy.

They all copy from each other. Nothing new
Hasn't Microsoft had a patent for a system similar to this for some time?, My guess is they were atleast contemplating it but something obviously has stopped them from doing it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm glad Phil has moved away from his stance in the run up to current gen, before people got their hands on the DualSense.

"We think we have a good controller in the market today, so we didn't really feel like we needed to go back to square one to build a new controller." - Phil in December 2019

If there are no Sony patents then they should make a revision to the Series X controller and include a simmilar implementation of haptics.
Not sure about haptics, but Microsoft already has resistive triggers in a patent in 2018. I guess they decided not to go with them.

https://www.windowscentral.com/new-xbox-one-resistive-controller-triggers-detailed-patents?amp

BeardGawd

Banned
Hasn't Microsoft had a patent for a system similar to this for some time?, My guess is they were atleast contemplating it but something obviously has stopped them from doing it.
Yep they have patents for something similar and it was rumored they would be in the Series X controller.

I think what really changed the game is Sony's implementation uses sound wave forms for the rumble which has been extremely easy for developers to implement. Nice job Sony.

Not sure about haptics, but Microsoft already has resistive triggers in a patent in 2018. I guess they decided not to go with them.

https://www.windowscentral.com/new-xbox-one-resistive-controller-triggers-detailed-patents?amp
Your article mentions thehappiest too.

Last edited:

IDappa

Yep they have patents for something similar and it was rumored they would be in the Series X controller.

I think what really changed the game is Sony's implementation uses sound wave forms for the rumble which has been extremely easy for developers to implement. Nice job Sony.
Be interesting to see what they do in the coming couple of years, with how good the dualsense is I am willing to bet they will release a new controller SKU with the updated triggers. How they would market such a thing is the next question.

I'll give it 2 years before there's an Xbox version and then the people who said they would turn off haptics if they had a PS5 will suddenly be huge fans of the XSense Controller with hectic feedback and velocity triggers.
Lol, so true. And claim that MS is so innovative for their improved version. Explain how it is superior to the DualS. Including allowing them to swap batteries. Well, until they actually do come out with a controller with a rechargable battery. Then, that will be a godsend and better than Sony's version.

Solarstrike

What's with the PSV gamepad microphone being On by default? There's an actual button to press which turns it On or Off. That's fine and all but shouldn't the orange light be ON if the microphone is On and not the other way around? Very sneaky of SONY. Could imagine all the colorful language SONY has collected so far from Demon Souls players 🤬

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
This Phil guy just can't shut up and do his homework.

Phil guy is Awesome and speaks into the hearts of gamers. Imo so much negativity against Phil feels like jealousy why my choice of console don't have someone like Phil guy!

That said, this is the same Verge interview few days ago, just another lame site paraphrasing as new news.

So it's not Phil can't shut up, it's lazy sites fishing for clicks :messenger_ok:

I swear the past two generations Xbox team would talk mad trash leading up to launch, and then being super diplomatic and nice after launching their console.

It's like, they're making up the lack of any great news for their new console by making good news by praising other consoles and "disliking the console wars" all of a sudden.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I swear the past two generations Xbox team would talk mad trash leading up to launch, and then being super diplomatic and nice after launching their console.

It's like, they're making up the lack of any great news for their new console by making good news by praising other consoles and "disliking the console wars" all of a sudden.

Pre-launch: "X gonna give it to ya!", "The most powerful console in the world", "All these multiplatform games will look and play best on Xbox Series X, the most powerful console."

Post-launch: "Console tribalism is one of the worst things in the gaming industry". "Enjoy the games. That's what matters the most."

I also noticed that most of the pre-launch cringy stuff came from Aaron lol.

Pre-launch: "X gonna give it to ya!", "The most powerful console in the world", "All these multiplatform games will look and play best on Xbox Series X, the most powerful console."

Post-launch: "Console tribalism is one of the worst things in the gaming industry". "Enjoy the games. That's what matters the most."

I also noticed that most of the pre-launch cringy stuff came from Aaron lol.

Yeah, it's all a little too annoying to me.

Nothing wrong with companies complimenting with one another, but from an audience perspective who is an enthusiast of gaming, seeing one company flip flop constantly - and so publicly - is just annoying.

I'm glad Sony just kept their mouths shut for most of the time leading up to launch.

They may not be able to tout the PS5 as the worlds most powerful console, but the word of mouth is doing that - albeit skewering reality to an extent - for them anyway.

DavidGzz

Coming from a PS5 owner it comes down to the game for me I don't really care for it in Spiderman but it's really cool in Demon's Souls. It's overrated but neat.

3lite Controll3R inbound

Oh shieet, gimme the Xsex dpad, Elite build quality, paddles, and the haptics. Best controller ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom