• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Reiterates Importance of Japanese Market and Promises a Lot More News in 2020

CrysisFreak

Banned
I paused 2 seconds in cringing way too hard. Not doing this to myself. Don't get me wrong Phil is cool but not like this lmao

They have a ton to prove when it comes to the Japanese market and Japanese games.

DownrightAnxiousCornsnake-size_restricted.gif

Ten_Fold

Having jrpg exclusives will do well outside of japan, but the japanese market hardly has consoles, it's all phone, they would need some wild iloli 1000 year old girl to move any units in japan. Now everywhere else give us something epic.

the whole idea that the japanese gaming market is vital is outdated. Its a 90’s era sentiment that a lot of people from that generation hold near and dear because that era of gaming was dominated by japanese publishers and consoles.

The current japanese market is mobile games and switch. There are still good games that come out of japanese studios but if we are being real, its a west-dominated market at this point.

splattered

the whole idea that the japanese gaming market is vital is outdated. Its a 90’s era sentiment that a lot of people from that generation hold near and dear because that era of gaming was dominated by japanese publishers and consoles.

The current japanese market is mobile games and switch. There are still good games that come out of japanese studios but if we are being real, its a west-dominated market at this point.

True, but if Xbox can properly attractive devs in the pool of the talent that made some of the absolute best games in the 90's … now that would be worthwhile.

Even if they never "dominate" sales in Japan if they can at least get great Japanese talent making games to sell throughout the world then that would in no way be a bad thing.

Great Hair

Banned
Microsoft true intentions are :

+ get most jap.dev.studios onboard
+ have them work exclusively for XSX
+ Knowingly that the games will be commercially flop, provoking closure
+ deliberately let them crash&burn
+ many of the teams are forced to close down the studio, due suckage, leaving the industry behind ...
+ This way, Microsoft will destroy the jap.market, since they know : "we destroy the market, competitors will be pushed out"

Makes absolutely NO Sense at all to keep pushing this same narrative for 20 years another 20. No one gives a wet fart about Xbox in Japan.

Zero reach. Cero percento.

DrAspirino

Banned
So... I just saw this on my twitter feed today:

EVbn224WAAEik_p

And tried to find more info about it. What I found was this tweet that says that the picture above was from 4chan and that right now there's DMCA everywhere.

Real? Fake? Trying to cover up something?

Food for thought.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft still wants to throw away many millions of dollars on Japan huh?
Give it up boys, they're never going to embrace your consoles.

This.
Why does anyone give a fuck about the japanese market anymore?
I don't want MS to compete with dating sims and lolikon bait.

Fitzchiv

Company launching game-streaming service makes push in market known for move toward mobile with high quality internet infrastructure shocker.

This isn't about hardware sales,

Microsoft still wants to throw away many millions of dollars on Japan huh?
Give it up boys, they're never going to embrace your consoles.
Way to miss the bigger picture ..It's not a out selling the console to Japan, it's about having a diverse line up of Games and Phil knowing full well how to the PS fans and press would also say the Xbox doesn't have Yakuza or Nier Automata Ect.. To MS credit they've trying to address that and it's looking like they want to carry on with it , even if they have to pay for the ports .

That's not console wars that's the state of western gaming in modern day.
And what does this have to do in this thread, where it's about the japanese market?
Yeah, but congratulations, you could get your little console warriors blurb into this thread.

Here is your 5 cents.

marianus

And what does this have to do in this thread, where it's about the japanese market?
Yeah, but congratulations, you could get your little console warriors blurb into this thread.

Here is your 5 cents.
What does 'dating sims' and 'lolikon bait' have to do with japanese games? Not much but you still posted it here. You have no idea what console warriors or japanese games are. If anything, you're the one console warring for shitting on MS for this.

Top Bottom