• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Reiterates Importance of Japanese Market and Promises a Lot More News in 2020

That's good. I want you to hate my guts.

3gzF6Zo.jpg

I have no idea why they are doing this. They really pushed in the 360 era and failed, and the brand has only diminished since.

Not only that but the Japanese market has been moving away from consoles for a long time. The switch has already outsold the PS4 in Japan. It's all about handheld gaming over there.

Why try something so futile in a market that is already shrinking?
I think the focus on xCloud and gaming at a console level from your phone is the reason for this renewed focus. MS has a partnership with SK Telecom on xCloud and early testing reports are very encouraging for them. For example, its been reported that gamers in South Korea on the xCloud testing have spent about 75 percent more time gaming than those in the US/UK.

Again, the main issue is relevant games for South Korea and Japan.

Sounds like he's feeling good about doing something in japan besides having gamepass. Would be interesting if that rumor about acquiring ip rights from Konami came true. Building a big AAA studio from the ground up named Xbox Game Studios Japan makes a lot of sense if they're serious about Japan.

I can't think of anything more effective than having the rights to Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Castlevania, Contra, Bionic Commando etc.... Having remasters or new entries in these franchises exclusively would be a game changer for MS. They would attract a lot of sony and nintendo fans.

Trying to build a AAA studio behind Itagaki would also be awesome.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
He can "talk" all he wants but I want results.

Is Xbox gonna get Grandblue Fantasy Relink, Project Re: Fantasy or even upcoming Sakura Wars? My biggest issue here is Xbox no longer gets exclusive Japanese games same way Sony and Nintendo gets, Xbox mostly gets Japanese games that I can already buy it on my Playstation or Switch.

oldergamer

Is Xbox gonna get Grandblue Fantasy Relink, Project Re: Fantasy or even upcoming Sakura Wars? My biggest issue here is Xbox no longer gets exclusive Japanese games same way Sony and Nintendo gets, Xbox mostly gets Japanese games that I can already buy it on my Playstation or Switch.
You don't want the results. you woudn't care no matter what he did.

mejin

yet you mentioned games you will play on Playstation. Phil can't win like this, Danjin. Give the man a chance.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You don't want the results. you woudn't care no matter what he did.
Why wouldn't I care? I have zero loyalty to any of them, all I care about is Japanese games and if Xbox gets exclusive Japanese games I care about then you can bet your ass I'm gonna buy that console same way I did with 360 for same reason.

yet you mentioned games you will play on Playstation. Phil can't win like this, Danjin. Give the man a chance.
The reason I would get it for playstation, because not only it gets popular multiplaytform Japanese games but also gets the niche games like Sakura Wars that Xbox doesn't get. And Nintendo might not get big Japanese games comes out on Playstation but still get its own exclusive Japanese games like Fire Emblem, Xenoblade and Bravely that I want to play.

This why I own both Playstation and Switch, it get most of Japanese games I want to play and so far Xbox give no reason to buy their system.

Last edited:
At this point it's not gonna matter what they release, it's not going to matter what they release, that ship has already sailed. I mean I guess I'm glad that they are still trying but at what point is it even worth the effort?

PSlayer

Oh so it's that time of the year where Phill Spencer says something like "japanese games are important we must go after them" and then they showcase a big multiplatform game made in Japan that is successful in the west so it would be on xbox anyway?

Until niche and pervy japanese games start flooding their store this is all a P.R. stunt.

marianus

The reason I would get it for playstation, because not only it gets popular multiplaytform Japanese games but also gets the niche games like Sakura Wars that Xbox doesn't get. And Nintendo might not get big Japanese games comes out on Playstation but still get its own exclusive Japanese games like Fire Emblem, Xenoblade and Bravely that I want to play.

This why I own both Playstation and Switch, it get most of Japanese games I want to play and so far Xbox give no reason to buy their system.
I would agree with you. When you get all the exclusive Japanese games for PS and Nintendo there is no reason to get an Xbox. If you get an Xbox there will be games you miss out on.

It depends on what the Xbox gamer wants from Japan.

Barakov

Gold Member
Oh so it's that time of the year where Phill Spencer says something like "japanese games are important we must go after them" and then they showcase a big multiplatform game made in Japan that is successful in the west so it would be on xbox anyway?

Until niche and pervy japanese games start flooding their store this is all a P.R. stunt.
Calling this a PR stunt is too kind. It's more like lip service at this point.

Genx3

I don't really know what else they can do, apart from a name change and money hatting the next dragon quest, I mean it's nuts that PC has more Japanese support than Xbox now.

How about they open or buy 2 talented Japanese studios.
During the OG Xbox Gen they had a very talented Japanese studio then it just disappeared.
They need to go back and create or buy 2 Japanese studios.
Maybe buy Itagaki's studio and let them expand the talent there.
There is a ton of dev talent in Japan. Its almost too easy.

Stuart360

Love Phil, but that was a bit cringe. It reminds me of that idiot former England manager, who took a job managing a Dutch football team, then on Dutch tv in interviews he'd be talking with an accent and saying 'yah, yah' all the time lol.

Its also cringe the way Microsoft concentrates so much on Japan when Japn dont care anymore, especially about Xbox consoles.

I don't really know what else they can do, apart from a name change and money hatting the next dragon quest, I mean it's nuts that PC has more Japanese support than Xbox now.
How about they try?

They haven't even opened a Japanese studio and have done minimal networking within the third-party Japanese industry. They're just now getting Yakuza. Have they even tried before recently?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Xbox just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase an Xbox, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move. Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel Game Pass for the Xbox One or you can kiss your business goodbye.

nikolino840

Xbox just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase an Xbox, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move. Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel Game Pass for the Xbox One or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Are you an expert watching anime?
Jocking 😘
I think gamers are equal in all the world...how many 16 years old japanees gamers know about honor? Maybe some philosphers ones that keep Yukio Mishima's book under the pillow...

JimboJones

How about they try?

They haven't even opened a Japanese studio and have done minimal networking within the third-party Japanese industry. They're just now getting Yakuza. Have they even tried before recently?

Thing looked promising during the first half of the 360 life cycle, getting a bunch of exclusive Japanese games but they seem to give up after they it made 0 impact and then got distracted by kinect :(

Tamy

Banned
I still don't know why, isn't the japanese home console market almost dead anyway? It's the mobile and handheld market, where the money is at, why do they bother? I think it's a waste of time and waste of resources.

Man... I really hope Phil can continue to build bridges for Xbox support in Japan.

Some folks want to see Xbox exclusive stuff, I just want parity.

He made good progress by getting the additional Final Fantasy games, Kingdom Hearts, and now Yakuza on Xbox One. Let's push that even further this year!

I want to see FFVII Remake part 2 get announced for day one release on all platforms.

DaGwaphics

Xbox may never do anything in numbers in Japan, but making a push for better support from Japanese developers could pay dividends in the markets they do compete in. Assuming they have a few cards up the sleeve for broader exposure across Europe and it could make things more competitive. Lack of Japanese support has hurt the library in general on Xbone, 360 and OG Xbox had more diverse libraries.

quickwhips

Thats cool gamepass in japan is live and more people might get to enjoy it. I think gamepass is a great value and a huge bullet point for next gen at the start.

Afro Messiah

Neo Member
I have no idea why they are doing this. They really pushed in the 360 era and failed, and the brand has only diminished since.

Not only that but the Japanese market has been moving away from consoles for a long time. The switch has already outsold the PS4 in Japan. It's all about handheld gaming over there.

Why try something so futile in a market that is already shrinking?

Exactly^ Even Japan best selling console games are like 1 or 2 mills. Gaming sales blew up from companies finally showing love to the European crowd by not making them wait years, putting games out in a staple refresh rate & display resolution .

GiJoint

They tried really hard in the early years of the 360. The PS3 then was bone dry, and the 360 was bringing out the JRPGs. Just couldn’t crack it.

Top Bottom