• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Boss: Heartening That People are Using Gaming as a Way to Stay Connected Following COVID-19 Measures

https://wccftech.com/xbox-boss-heartening-gaming-covid-19/

Xbox head Phil Spencer has taken to Twitter to express his thoughts about people playing videogames due to the recent COVID-19 measures.

Countries all over the world have taken drastic measures to stop the further spread of COVID-19, also known as Coronavirus - people are required to limit social contacts, stay home as much as possible and numerous public places have been closed down.

More than ever, people are using videogames as a way to spend their free time, and to stay socially connected.

On Twitter, Microsoft’s executive vice-president of Gaming has expressed to be proud of an industry that can offer an escape and fun in these times.

“It's heartening to hear from so many people using gaming as a way to stay connected during these times”, the Xbox boss wrote. “Play is a fundamental human need. Proud to be part of an industry that can offer escape and fun right now. Stay safe.”

When asked about increased demand and server load, Spencer replied that server usage is up on almost everything.

PQRUbMv.jpg

Kagey K

Banned
Because you can't just communicate by phone, discord, what's app, etc? You have to pay XBox live to communicate remotely?
“It's heartening to hear from so many people using gaming as a way to stay connected during these times”

Theres one important word in that quote, and nowhere does he say playing Xbox he says it about gaming in general.

Even a thread about people playing games during a pandemic turns into console wars. SMH.

Last edited:

Fake

Not depressing, it's reality.
I guess you guys don't do a lot of reading, pretty much every corporate is feeding off Corona because sales are skyrocketing.
There's a PSN Flash Sale going on right now even - just sayin'.

There is a PSN Flash since the begining of playstation store if I remember right. When Sony use the Corona as a PR too, you can point, unless you're waiting the 'Corona Sale' to happen.
In both cases are depressing.

Last edited:

Fake

The actual Tweet is rather subtle, Wccftech made it into a sensation.
That reminds me of the whole pride avatar thing both companies starting flaunting when that became popular.
Hell even earlier today I was reading some shit about sex toys going up in demand because of Corona...just sayin'

Indeed. Those sites like to put a rather clickbait, but still. Neither Sony or Microsoft should make those kinds of statements.

Entroyp

I’m going to finish God Of War one more time and I’ve been playing the FFVII demo like crazy. Phil is right that video games sure can help in these hard times. I don’t care to socialize with strangers though.

Last edited:

Meowzers

And fuckin ironic I've just used a big fuckin chain to smash my unofficial controller to bits because my Xbox X keeps blacking out on me.

Btw...My Friend Pedro is worth getting Game Pass for lol.

...Aaand if you're wondering if I'm a weirdo that lives in my mum's basement. NO. I'm the one that lives upstairs.

MaulerX

The actual Tweet is rather subtle, Wccftech made it into a sensation.
That reminds me of the whole pride avatar thing both companies starting flaunting when that became popular.
Hell even earlier today I was reading some shit about sex toys going up in demand because of Corona...just sayin'

Damn. He's praising gaming in general and is happy to be in this industry.

And we get these types of responses? WTF is going on with people here? Embarrassing.

Joe T.

I don't know if heartening is how I'd describe it. I'd be worried if gaming didn't pick up right now, would have been a warning sign that interest in the medium might have plateaued.

Top Bottom