• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Announces an Indie Showcase for Next Week (March 16)

fermcr

"Xbox is hosting a new ID@Xbox indie showcase on March 16.

Xbox announced the stream in a blog post, saying it will include a number of new game announcements and updates for current releases. The showcase will take place on March 16 at 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern / 6pm UK (that's March 17 at 5am AEDT) ..."

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-announces-an-indie-showcase-for-next-week

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/03/10/idxbox-spring-showcase-with-twitchgaming-march-16/

WireAsset_TwitchID_March22_v2.jpg

Last edited:

Louay

"Xbox is hosting a new ID@Xbox indie showcase on March 16.

Xbox announced the stream in a blog post, saying it will include a number of new game announcements and updates for current releases. The showcase will take place on March 16 at 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern / 6pm UK (that's March 17 at 5am AEDT) ..."

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-announces-an-indie-showcase-for-next-week

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/03/10/idxbox-spring-showcase-with-twitchgaming-march-16/

WireAsset_TwitchID_March22_v2.jpg
i can't stand twitch format so i will just wait for trailers drop on YT.

Vaelka

Seeing the Wanted: Dead game it kinda just reminded me of how much I miss games that took themselves less seriously.
Especially in indie games where they have more creative freedom I wish indie devs let loose a little it feels like the games are just so samey in tone either it's very serious or it's basically cartoony with a '' childish '' tone and art direction like the characters look like stuffed animals or something and it's very child friendly.
I wish we could get some bonkers games, games like lollipop chainsaw or duke nukem but something new and fresh.

I dunno but indie games to me have just kinda become like big titles too where they sorta blend together into mush and feel so similar to each other.
Even something like Hades that got a lot of praise was ultimately like that too, not saying it was bad or anything but it's sorta just yet another indie game that it feels like I've seen in droves.

oldergamer

Seeing the Wanted: Dead game it kinda just reminded me of how much I miss games that took themselves less seriously.
Especially in indie games where they have more creative freedom I wish indie devs let loose a little it feels like the games are just so samey in tone either it's very serious or it's basically cartoony with a '' childish '' tone and art direction like the characters look like stuffed animals or something and it's very child friendly.
I wish we could get some bonkers games, games like lollipop chainsaw or duke nukem but something new and fresh.

I dunno but indie games to me have just kinda become like big titles too where they sorta blend together into mush and feel so similar to each other.
Even something like Hades that got a lot of praise was ultimately like that too, not saying it was bad or anything but it's sorta just yet another indie game that it feels like I've seen in droves.
I don't get it, you went into an indy thread to say you want non indie games?

CamHostage

I like the way Ms makes it very clear that this is indie event

Eh, their messaging is better than better than we usually get (and I like that they pre-listed a few titles to set the stage,) usually these streams are just like, "We're putting on a show, be there!!" and sometimes it's great and sometimes it's nothingburger on wheat...

However, it's not like Xbox doesn't mix indies into its showcase streams just like its competition does. And Sony has done dedicated indie events too in the "Indies Spotlight" format. (I don't think Nintendo has done dedicated indie Directs, but I believe they've done like Indie Week of trailer releases on YT or their website maybe?) This is an indie event, specifically so. It's a stream put on by the ID@Xbox team, for ID@Xbox titles, and so they're marketing it as "The /ID@Xbox Showcase". None of them do pre-show messaging real well (and thus we have to argue about how every show is not an E3-level blowout,) but Sony does have multiple types of streaming shows (including "Future of PlayStation", which is where the big guns come out, which is what every muthafucker should learn is different from State of Play and that's why State of Play doesn't have all the big guns... sorry for that.)

Some people shit on the recent State of Play as an "indie event", but it's like, dude, it was new games from Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, Bandai Namco, plus another look at Ghostwire from Bethesda. Just because lots of people didn't enjoy the quality of the games at the show doesn't make it an "indie event". The show included the biggest gaming publishers in Japan. If Xbox had put on this same show filled with Japanese world premieres from these publishers (and they could have, as most of the games at SoP were multiplaform, though it probably would have gone over just as badly for MS to tout its Japanese support and then demonstrate it with a popularly disappointing line-up,) they wouldn't have done it much different, I don't think? They could not have teased any of these names the way they listed some ID@Xbox games that'll be there on the 16th, just as Sony didn't let on what games would be there. MS's messaging would have been the same, a show with a "special focus on highlighting great games coming from some of our beloved Japanese publishers," and hope people dig it.

Everybody does pretty much the same thing these days. (And that includes 3rd Party publishers, so it's not like Ubisoft will ever have any indies on its stream, but still, if they were to post up a show in March but save the good shit for June, we'd have plenty of complaints there too.) Having ID@Xbox as its own show is good, but it's not a fix for the problem if people expect fireworks every other time Xbox or whoever fires up the streams.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Eh, their messaging is better than better than we usually get (and I like that they pre-listed a few titles to set the stage,) usually these streams are just like, "We're putting on a show, be there!!" and sometimes it's great and sometimes it's nothingburger on wheat...

However, it's not like Xbox doesn't mix indies into its showcase streams just like its competition does. And Sony has done dedicated indie events too in the "Indies Spotlight" format. (I don't think Nintendo has done dedicated indie Directs, but I believe they've done like Indie Week of trailer releases on YT or their website maybe?) This is an indie event, specifically so. It's a stream put on by the ID@Xbox team, for ID@Xbox titles, and so they're marketing it as "The /ID@Xbox Showcase". None of them do pre-show messaging real well (and thus we have to argue about how every show is not an E3-level blowout,) but Sony does have multiple types of streaming shows (including "Future of PlayStation", which is where the big guns come out, which is what every muthafucker should learn is different from State of Play and that's why State of Play doesn't have all the big guns... sorry for that.)

Some people shit on the recent State of Play as an "indie event", but it's like, dude, it was new games from Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, Bandai Namco, plus another look at Ghostwire from Bethesda. Just because lots of people didn't enjoy the quality of the games at the show doesn't make it an "indie event". The show included the biggest gaming publishers in Japan. If Xbox had put on this same show filled with Japanese world premieres from these publishers (and they could have, as most of the games at SoP were multiplaform, though it probably would have gone over just as badly for MS to tout its Japanese support and then demonstrate it with a popularly disappointing line-up,) they wouldn't have done it much different, I don't think? They could not have teased any of these names the way they listed some ID@Xbox games that'll be there on the 16th, just as Sony didn't let on what games would be there. MS's messaging would have been the same, a show with a "special focus on highlighting great games coming from some of our beloved Japanese publishers," and hope people dig it.
I agree with you. There was very little you could say was indie. I watched that stream and was a little underwhelmed. I think there are only handful of Japanese publishers that are capable of putting in the polish that I expect on most games. I would have been far more excited for a new dragons quest builders game.

CamHostage

{regarding the recent PS State of Play} There was very little you could say was indie. I watched that stream and was a little underwhelmed. I think there are only handful of Japanese publishers that are capable of putting in the polish that I expect on most games. I would have been far more excited for a new dragons quest builders game.

With indies, the manufacturers can get away with "ghettoizing" the games (for better or worse, depending on your feeling for indies.)

Once you start adding big publishers and lucrative brands into the mix, even if the games are not crowd-pleasers or worldwide blockbusters, the streamer can't just advertise a show as like, "Tune in if you want to, it's just a bunch of garbage this time that most people won't like..."

Last edited:

Vaelka

I don't get it, you went into an indy thread to say you want non indie games?

No?
I have no clue how you got that out of it.

I want different indie games that actually utilize the fact that they're indie more.
I'd like to see indie games create games that are less safe and do stuff big publishers wouldn't allow nowadays.
Especially games that take themselves less seriously and just focus on being fun without holding back, get wacky and do some crazy stuff simply because it's fun.
Zero shits given with like the tone of No More Heroes and such, just fun being the top priority over trying to be artsy or copy popular trends.

Imo I just think there's a lack of variety in indie much like there is in more big titles.
I am not saying that there literally is no variety and that there aren't indie games that do good stuff.
But imo for the most part it feels tbh even more sanitized often times than big titles and there's a pretty severe overrepresentation of this cartoony kids friendly art styles they use.
It almost feels a bit like game student projects made to be safe to show in class or something.

I am not personally a fan of Duke Nukem, but I just miss games like that and I think the indie space is basically the only place you can do that stuff anymore.

Silksong is coming to all platforms, right? Every Nintendo Direct there's always hope for it, but I never hear for Xbox or PlayStation shows.

oldergamer

No?
I have no clue how you got that out of it.

I want different indie games that actually utilize the fact that they're indie more.
I'd like to see indie games create games that are less safe and do stuff big publishers wouldn't allow nowadays.
Especially games that take themselves less seriously and just focus on being fun without holding back, get wacky and do some crazy stuff simply because it's fun.
Zero shits given with like the tone of No More Heroes and such, just fun being the top priority over trying to be artsy or copy popular trends.

Imo I just think there's a lack of variety in indie much like there is in more big titles.
I am not saying that there literally is no variety and that there aren't indie games that do good stuff.
But imo for the most part it feels tbh even more sanitized often times than big titles and there's a pretty severe overrepresentation of this cartoony kids friendly art styles they use.
It almost feels a bit like game student projects made to be safe to show in class or something.

I am not personally a fan of Duke Nukem, but I just miss games like that and I think the indie space is basically the only place you can do that stuff anymore.
It was when you said "I wish we could get some bonkers games, games like lollipop chainsaw or duke nukem but something new and fresh." none of those are indie games. That's where the "huh???" came from.

R6Rider

Gold Member
"This show was trash. I'm never watching an Xbox Indie Showcase again."

-multiple users after the showcase

Lognor

Banned
Can’t wait to hear all the hyperbole and outrage of being disappointed for an “indie” showcase where everyone is gonna be expecting the unexpected first party announcements for an “indie” showcase!
At least Microsoft set expectations. It's an indie presentation. That's what we can expect. With State of Plays we just had to learn from experience you weren't getting those AAA announcements.

CamHostage

"This show was trash. I'm never watching an Xbox Indie Showcase again."

-multiple users after the showcase

...Not so much corrected your post as added to the hilarity of why we can can never just have nice things.

At least Microsoft set expectations. It's an indie presentation. That's what we can expect. With State of Plays we just had to learn from experience you weren't getting those AAA announcements.

You'd like to think we'd have that experience all built up by now, but...

Last edited:

CamHostage

Thought Trek to Yumi was a Sony exclusive

Nope, Yomi was always multiplatform. (I thought actually it debuted at an Xbox show but I guess I'm also remembering wrong?)

Announced at xbox e3 last year.

Ah, so maybe I'm NOT remembering wrong

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nope, Yomi was always multiplatform. (I thought actually it debuted at an Xbox show but I guess I'm also remembering wrong?)

Also on game pass day 1.

Seems like you’re just growing out of gaming. Time to find a new hobby

DZ_b_EZ

Just give me a physical copy of Tunic on Xbox Series and Microsoft can do whatever they want after that.

Smoke6

That’s a lie! This last state of play clearly stated what it was about.

reksveks

Ignore me.

But I will have this on the background as I am working. Might try to make a thread or list of games shown.

Last edited:
Too many games coming down the pike to get my Jimmies rustled over just one...
Plus, I don't anticipate it will be GOTY or anything. As long as it's as weird and fucked up as the trailers and it's not a completely broken bag of shit anyways.
What other ones should i be in tune with then that could possibly be in this show then? Scorn and that giant robot fighting game are the only two on my radar right now.

Top Bottom