• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox: A Nostalgia Thread

bengraven

tumblr_lka9rhi8aT1qadbq2o1_400.gif

Actually I think a friend of mine still has his. Ding, free.

Do it, do it.

Metalmarc

Subbed to this thread

Oh fuck i've finally done it, i went and ordered a Xbox console, from a secondhand online store & 18 games.

For the past 2 years, i've been arguing with myself whether to get one or not, usually the "oh backwards compatibility with my 360 is fine" excuse, then decide i want to get a used copy of a certain xbox game, and shit it's not compatible or theres problems

Well here i am one week away from the 3rd gen of xbox announcement and im buying the 1st gen xbox, for the first time, and iv'e just forked out £48 for a xbox, 18 games and memory card (for some reason i thought i needed one, a la ps2, whoops that £4 could've gone towards a game, doh

I already own a few xbox original games, with the intent to try and play them on the 360
The thing, judge dredd, the punisher, soul caliur 2, and halo

Will try and post pics of my purchase when it's delivered

GAF whats your top 10 or if you have a lot of time on your hands top 20 fave Original XBox games?

SenkiDala

GAF whats your top 10 or if you have a lot of time on your hands top 20 fave Original XBox games?

-Halo/Halo 2
-Shenmue 2
-Jet Set Radio Future
-Panzer Dragon Orta
-Buffy
-Fable
-Riddick
-Jade Empire
-PGR2
-Splinter Cell (1, 2, 3)
-Ninja Gaiden
-Time Splitters 2/3

And probably some more.

Metalmarc

Look what came in the mail today

Whole bundle cost me £48

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not in photo i bought a spare memory card

3 more games to come nhl 2003 and NHL rivals
And nba live 2003

Hell yeah. Loved the original xbox. Favorite game was definitely a toss up between max payne, mech assault, (the first one), halo, and amped. Amped is still on my opinion the de facto snowboarding game

Hell yeah. Loved the original xbox. Favorite game was definitely a toss up between max payne, mech assault, (the first one), halo, and amped. Amped is still on my opinion the de facto snowboarding game

OG Xbox was awesome--Shenmue 2, Halo's, Jade Empire, KOTOR 1 and 2

Man that generation was unbelievable. Ps2, GC, Xbox and probably the height of PC gaming. You were literally buried in AAA games.

Mr. RHC

The only games I actively played on a XBOX console I can remember is Halo: Combat Evolved, such great graphics back then. I only played the first section though.

The second was a demo of King Kong, again, amazing graphics.

The original Xbox was an amazing system no doubt about it. It was super powerful, had custom soundtracks which was amazing in games like Project Gotham Racing and Fuzion Frenzy, it had a great controller, it was super solid, had many sick SEGA games and i'm a huge SEGA fan, had Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive which are sick sick games, Splinter Cell, Mech Assault, Phantom Dust, Halo...

All in all, the system was worth it for me for many reasons.

I hope the next Xbox has great gems like the first Xbox had.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

I'd have to think about this, but my favorites:

-Panzer Dragoon Orta
-Jet Set Radio Future
-Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
-Guilty Gear X2#Reload
-Silent Hill 2
-Dead or Alive 3
-Ninja Gaiden Black

I'm sure Shenmue 2 will be on the list when I play it. Fable and Jade Empire were 2 of the most disappointing games I ever played... I hadn't played a western RPG in a while (i.e. since the mid 90's) and was in the mood - what I remembered from the 90's days was the complexity and depth of the genre... so I was expecting both games to be loaded with complex mechanics, nonlinear storylines, and fantastic combat. But what I ended up getting were 2 of the most shallow, easiest RPGs I've ever played.

Borman

The Xbox scales pretty well on my Plasma, just as a heads up. Nearly everything is at least 480p, and most that aren't can be edited to 480p if your console is modded :p

I apologize to anyone who watched my Conker stream last night, that damn hoverboard section. Ugh.

Borman

Hate to double post, but people should really pick up an import of Dinosaur Hunting. I doubt the Japanese would be too tough. Fun game, if frustrating at times.

snap034.jpg

G-Fex

eHePaWM.jpg

collection I bought a while back

not counting the ones which have no boxes

Ninja gaiden
midway arcade treasures 2
farcry instincts
007 agent under fire
ESPN NFL 2k5
MLB Slugfest 2003
Brute Force
Robocop

kaiju

Well it looks like Xbox is done after today's announcement.

R.I.P. Xbox 11/15/01 - 05/21/13

Let's keep this thread bumped to remember the good ol' days.

Dear Panzer Dragoon Orta,

I miss you. I love you. Is there any way I can play you again without getting a new Xbox?
I wouldn't mind bringing Phantom Dust back into my life either.

Valkyria

Banned
Dear Panzer Dragoon Orta,

I miss you. I love you. Is there any way I can play you again without getting a new Xbox?
I wouldn't mind bringing Phantom Dust back into my life either.

With a 360. If you are in NA, you can play it without problems, but in Europe as me, not so much.

Anyone else play Toejam and Earl 3 in here? I thought that game was rad and stupid as hell at the time. Still holds up graphically imo.

I frickin love TJ&E 3. It's beyond me how any fan of the original could dislike it. Graphics are beautiful, game is challenging, randomly generated levels...

I always wanted one of these, and now I feel kind of bad since earlier today I watched a couple of my friends beat the crap out of an Xbox that I think still worked, until it was unrecognizable.

I remember as a PS2 fanboy being in such awe of the shadows/lighting in the first Splinter Cell, I could barely contain my pubescent console jealousy.

So when do you think that original Xbox games will start becoming collectible and hard to find? I want to jump on that bandwagon before it starts lol.

Fox Mulder

So when do you think that original Xbox games will start becoming collectible and hard to find? I want to jump on that bandwagon before it starts lol.

The full Steel Battalion set already is collectible. Marvel vs Capcom 2 was sought after until it got released digitally everywhere. Jurassic Park Operation Genesis is pricey. There's also a few games like Halo Triple Pack and Outrun 2006 that just don't have many copies on ebay.

The full Steel Battalion set already is collectible. Marvel vs Capcom 2 was sought after until it got released digitally everywhere. Jurassic Park Operation Genesis is pricey. There's also a few games like Halo Triple Pack and Outrun 2006 that just don't have many copies on ebay.

Good point, I will keep my eye out for those. It's just hard to believe you can get Xbox games for $1 or $2 a piece. I want to start snapping up a bunch of the classic's before the average price on basic games goes up!

Let's talk Xbox 1.6. As far as I know, the big ones that don't work in 480p are Fable, GunValkyrie, Panzer Orta, and Jet Set Radio Future. However, all but GunValkyrie have workarounds:

Fable -> Fable Lost Chapters works fine on Xbox 1.6 in 480p.
Panzer Orta -> Play on 360.
JSRF -> Play the Bundle version with Sega GT 2002 on Xbox 1.6 in 480p.

Is there ANY way to even play GunValkyrie in 480i without manually going to the MS Dash and disabling 480p? It's just a pain to have to do that and then go and turn it back on to play other games in HD. I wish XBMC or some other dash had a way to force a specific game into 480i while keeping overall system settings at 480p.

So the 1.6 I found at Goodwill is in insanely nice condition. Opened it up and it was near spotless. A little dust build up but I was very surprised. Can't believe I've got an OG Xbox system again. Been playing Shenmue 2 a lot.

Just picked one up here over the weekend at my local used game shop. God damn I missed this thing.

Picked up The Godfather, Crimson Skies, Sega Gt/JSRF, Marc Ecko Getting up, Mechassult, and Wreckless all for a dollar each. Booted up just fine and every game plays great. Just need to grab those HD/component cables now and I will be all set

Top Bottom