• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox: A Nostalgia Thread

MormaPope

Banned
Best year of gaming in my life was in 2004.

MGS3, GTA San Andreas on the PS2 side. Burnout 3, Fable 1, Knights of the Old Republic 2 on the Xbox side.

Playing those all around the same time was probably the happiest time of my life.

TokiDoki

Great thread ! Oh and it would be nice if OP could include that when Jasper revision came out , RROD had finally been cured . It gave a good relief to us consumer as well .

Klocker

9Ty1Phe.png

nice work man, can I have this one?

Fantastic thread for two fantastic consoles. I cannot express in words how much I love my OG Xbox, which I am still playing almost as much as my 360. I'm currently re-playing KOTOR trying and failing (over and over again) to beat Marl in the arena. Last month it was Sudeki and Mechassault and next month I'm finally going to do a completionist run of Morrowind on the Xbox. All played with my still pristine original Duke controller which is built like a tank, they just don't make controllers like that anymore.

Great games, great memories and a great console. And the follow up is just as good. I can't imagine what my gaming life would be like without the Xbox & the 360. Absolutely wonderful consoles!

As a huge morrowind and Xbox fan I would advise against that painful endeavor. Load times bro.

DEADEVIL

Bought a Launch OG Xbox during the Launch window.

Playing HALO for the first time cannot be described in words.

I remember finishing that game for the first time and walking around the house like a zombie because nothing could come close to that experience.

The first time I played Silent Cartographer. The emotions.

Playing co-op for hours and hours losing entire days with friends.

Realizing that Goldeneye had successfully been dethroned forever.

Bringing TVs and Xboxes to dorms and offices to play with masses of friends.

NOTHING on the Xbox topped that game until Xbox Live and Halo 2 dropped and the heavens opened and we kept our TVs at home to play Halo 2.

The rest is history.

I remember waiting in line at a Wal-Mart to get a launch unit. I ended up selling my limited edition Halo unit to fund part of a PS3 launch console (big mistake), but during the height of the OG's life my dad heard my brother and I talking about playing Links against each other online and he wanted in. So we bought him an Xbox and Links. He played it once and then never touched it. So now his barely used Xbox is in his spare room along with all my games. When I go home to visit its there waiting. Along with Midtown Madness and NFL2K5. Good times. I should steal it next time I go home.

As a huge morrowind and Xbox fan I would advise against that painful endeavor. Load times bro.

If there's one thing I want on the next Xbox, it's for Bethesda to do a remake of Morrowind. After playing Oblivion and Skyrim I need me some voice acting, better load times and improved combat! With all the HD remakes and re-releases it seems weird that Morrowind hasn't been floated out there as an idea (Especially since the Dragonborn DLC had a HUGE MW tone)

(I know I can gets mods that do all that for PC, but I want it for a console.)

Somnia

I remember finishing that game for the first time and walking around the house like a zombie because nothing could come close to that experience.

NOTHING on the Xbox topped that game until Xbox Live and Halo 2 dropped and the heavens opened and we kept our TVs at home to play Halo 2.

The rest is history.

The bolded... man talk about fucking great memories. I miss those days.

The rest is history.

God I remember downloading the GameSpy client to play online. It was unstable as hell but I thought it was the COOLEST thing ever. Online gaming on a console was a COMPLETELY foreign concept to me at the time.

Blood Gulch man, Blood Gulch...

DEADEVIL

Other than Halo Xbox still housed one of the most underrated series of all-time. Otagi and Otagi 2 are absolute HEAVEN that haven't been touched in the same way an entire gen since. I had hoped MS would come to their senses and work something out for an HD collection on XBLA. The world needed to play these games and still do.

OTOGI and OTOGI 2

otogi.jpg

otogi--screenshot_large.jpg
[/IMG]

otogi-2-20040813104500890_640w.jpg

My only memories of the original Xbox where playing Dead or Alive at Gamestop, and thinking mmm, the controller is not that big. The 360 brought my passion for gaming back, love the console. Can't wait for what's next.

FYC

Banned
KaiBLMJ.png

Dibs on the Fable one? Great stuff dude.

Edit: Baconsammy says he took it but uh he ain't got it right now

Anyways, anyone else remember Kung Fu Chaos!

Mfd5WCm.jpg

Loved the shit out of this as a kid. Dunno if it was poopy or not, but amazing fun with friends when I was a lad.

How many of you bought an Xbox on launch day?

*Raises hand*

Bought it with Halo, DOA 3, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X, Oddworld Munch's Oddessy, and Project Gotham Racing.

FYC

Banned
All yours, mate.

AdKI4Ty.gif

Thank you. You can still grab it if you'd like to though, I'll happily take the Republic Commando one instead :v

Anyways,

Did anyone else like really love Fable?

I remember (I wasn't that in-touch with forums, just gaming stuff through print and a few webistes like ign) hearing that a lot of people disliked Fable because it failed to deliver on some of the promises Molyneux made. While that's understandable, when you get past that, the actual Fable game itself is an amazing, unique and just extremely memorable game.

I remember the great beginning, the training at the school, finally going off into the world on your own, and then finally starting to get accommodated to the world. Changing your character's appearance, getting different response from NPC's, and seeing your character actually progress (getting buffer or leaner; horns or angel halo) was all really awesome stuff for the time, and it all worked extremely well with the half-realistic, half-Pixar graphical style they went for.

I enjoyed Fable II but not really as much, and I have yet to play Fable III. I really hope Lionhead brings out another one sometime this generation, because the Fable series is something that could be right back on top of the game if they did it right.

Yes, I love the first Fable. Very nostalgic. I finally beat it for the first time a few years ago and thought it was really neat. Cool stuff.

I don't remember much about II or III, but I enjoyed them. Except the end of III, but nobody liked that.

I hope the MVP games make a return. Haven't had as much fun with a baseball game since MVP 2005. The 2K gamse are awful.

0001463314890_500X500.jpg

Miss the days when their were multiple games in each sport to choose from. Now pretty much each sport has one major game.

Basketball: NBA 2k
Football: Madden
Baseball: MLB The show (MLB 2k sucks)
Hockey: NHL EA

At least soccer still has two good series (FIFA and PES)

Anfony O

KaiBLMJ.png

Dibs on the Fable one?

Edit: Baconsammy says he took it but uh he ain't got it right now

Anyways, anyone else remember Kung Fu Chaos!

Mfd5WCm.jpg

Loved the shit out of this as a kid. Dunno if it was poopy or not, but amazing fun with friends when I was a lad.

Man I thought I was the only one. I remember me and my friends tried it first on an OXM demo. We were hooked for hours. Ended up buying the full copy and till this day haven't had as much laughs with any other game. It was multiplayer heaven.

decaf

My uni flatmates and I played 4-player games daily. Halo 2. Mashed: Fully Loaded. Good times.

We somehow nabbed this awesome bus stop poster too:

TTmfIqX.jpg

It was true. They didn't.

Calvarok

Banned
I always thought the original Xbox logo was pretty amazing. It gave the impression of something powerful breaking free. It took me a while to warm to the 360 logo because it doesn't look like anything too huge could be coming out of that little sphere. But when I saw it spin in that power-up animation, it kinda clicked for me.

I hope they do make a different "X" design for the new console. I'm excited about that!

I always hated the name xbox 360 and I even hated the way they marketed it. That MTV event where it was introduced was one of the major influences on creating this artificial hipster/nerd gamer culture that is still pushed by the media to this day.

Ryuhza

Banned
I don't much like the Xbox 360, but I've got a good deal of respect for the original Xbox. I never owned one, but I had a friend who did, and it was a very special console. Did a lot of things other consoles didn't.

That's a kick-ass list. I think Burte Force and Advent Rising were a lot better than people made them out to be.

Some day Jade Empire 2....some day.

Advent Rising was indeed good, but the bugs man. The bugs.

Not to mention that soundtrack. Holy shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEk6YYrCfV0

Just got hit by the nostalgia. One of my favorite experiences from the OG Xbox. Now I'm tempted to go buy it on Steam and install the fan patch.

I would also love if Chair got their hands back on the IP.

EDIT: Hot damn - how did I forget about this soundtrack!?

I've read the OP three times now...

It's making me smile to ear to ear remembering the 'Xbox Journey'

I remember scoffing when I first read about a 'powerful microsoft console' in edge

then i remember playing endless hours of halo, then Xbox live... halo 2.... such good times.

I remember queuing at midnight for my 360... and buying a huge ass LG LCD TV to play it on.

when you think about how far xbox has come, it's pretty monumental.

Jooney

The original Xbox was the final vestige for local multiplayer console gaming, before online play became ubiquitous and convenient. The memories of playing Halo: CE with a dozen buddies on system link are far more cherished than the ones playing H2/H3 online.

Dizzy

Banned
360 used to be so boss back in the early days (aside from rrod), it's sad to see Microsoft seemingly shift their focus. They went after so many games back then and seemed to fund so many and now it's just the same few and 30 day exclusive DLC, and that awful new dashboard and kinnect.

The OG xbox was the opposite. I hated it at first and eventually sold it. Too many western games with a drab, ugly look to them. Fast forward a few years and I wanted to play a few games that had been released on it in that time and I really enjoyed it then. It seemed to be getting more third party games from PS2, had built up its own collection of good games, and I either developed a taste for western games or the ones out were just better. Plus conker, far cry, ninja gaiden and riddick all looked amazing. I mean back in the day there was splinter cell and stuff but xbox really came into its own with those games. Conker upscaled on 360 could have passed as an early x360 game and actually looked better than some of the hd ports 360 had. It's a shame that the Xbox died off so early just as it was really coming into its own.

artist

Banned
People changing avatars? Oh noes, "someone" might find that "too invested" :D

Seriously though, Xbox 360 was announced 8 years ago on this very day. Happy Birfday 360!

Wow just looked through the op and watched the halo 2 multiplayer reveal.
That was so unprofessional Joseph staten i loved it. Suck it asshole!!! The best anti asshole weapon.

Izick

SplinterCellChaosTheory_Xbox_Jaquette.jpg

What a fantastic game. As close to perfection as a stealth game could be. It absolutely blew my mind how amazing this looked on the Xbox when it came out. Just a masterpiece in stealth game design.

Top Bottom