• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Emulation on the PC with Xenia takes a huge step forward

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
How come Xbox 360 is doing so great, while we have yet to see a decent Xbox emulator?
NV chip in Xbox is some form of hybrid, which uses non-standard calls and many of it's features hasn't been leaked/discovered, so basically games does not work. Also probably not that many people are interested in this, probably combination of these two variables....

Cryio

After this update, Condemned 2: Bloodshot is finally PERFECTLY emulated. Perfect visuals and audio. Finished the game at a locked 720p60 (game can be ran at any framerate, yesss). I dreamt about playing this game for the past 13 years.

On RPCS3, visuals are still glitchy.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
After this update, Condemned 2: Bloodshot is finally PERFECTLY emulated. Perfect visuals and audio. Finished the game at a locked 720p60 (game can be ran at any framerate, yesss). I dreamt about playing this game for the past 13 years.

On RPCS3, visuals are still glitchy.
What about condemned 1?

Cryio

You can play Condemned 1 in 8K60 or 4K120 with 8xMSAA on 5700 XT/2070S GPU class + A.I. enhanced textures to make the game look better + proper widescreen menus.

No point in trying on an emulator IMO.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
the PC version is absolutely awful from what I experienced. I tried playing it once and it ran at an unsteady ~40fps with an uncountable amount of bugs.
Hmm strange, due to this game, I am now console gamer, because second one wasn't on PC. One of my all time favorite. Let say that OG retail version worked fine for me, but it was a long time ago.

Banned
Hmm strange, due to this game, I am now console gamer, because second one wasn't on PC. One of my all time favorite. Let say that OG retail version worked fine for me, but it was a long time ago.

maybe it was an issue with drivers or Windows 10. it was like 2 years ago, maybe 3... Sega gave it away on Steam and I tried it.

for me it was basically unplayable

mcjmetroid

Always happy to see emulation doing well. I can never get too excited for Xbox emulation though.

I think a large part is bacause the library has generally being ported to PC by now or is on Gamepass. I guess that's a testimony to how well Microsoft has treated their legacy content.

Now I wonder why Nintendo emulators are the most popular ... Hmmmm

MrFunSocks

Banned
Always happy to see emulation doing well. I can never get too excited for Xbox emulation though.

I think a large part is bacause the library has generally being ported to PC by now or is on Gamepass. I guess that's a testimony to how well Microsoft has treated their legacy content.

Most of their 360 games aren’t on PC though.

Every so often I load up forza 4 again to see how it runs on the emulator and unfortunately it’s still terrible. Missing sky, shadows are all giant rectangles, tyres don’t render, frame rate is terrible, etc. They’re doing amazing work though so slowly but surely hopefully they’ll get there.

I just wish MS would release their Xbox and 360 emulators :(

Drew1440

There's quite a few games that are exclusive to the original Xbox that never got ported, and there's the games that were available on both Xbox and PS2/GameCube but the Xbox having the better version of the game.
Also the Xbox 360 BC's only supports half of the original Xbox's library's, with the Xbox One supporting even less than that.

mcjmetroid

There's quite a few games that are exclusive to the original Xbox that never got ported, and there's the games that were available on both Xbox and PS2/GameCube but the Xbox having the better version of the game.
Also the Xbox 360 BC's only supports half of the original Xbox's library's, with the Xbox One supporting even less than that.
This is true. Anyway I don't want to knock the emulation scene on this. Plenty of effort will have been made here.

Everything should be emulated at some point or another.

nush

Gold Member
Also the Xbox 360 BC's only supports half of the original Xbox's library's

For me personally they did hit 99% of my most wanted games and they did listen to the community about what games they wanted to see on back compat. Microsoft took the same approach on Xbox One although as the games were not running off the disc it limited what they could release.

Armorian

Banned
I'm fucking impressed

xenia202107171740494.png

Esppiral

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Don’t know why MS doesn’t include a 360 emu in windows and open the tap on gamepass

This would actually make a lot of sense. But I'm wondering if it's a legal issue, probably most of the contracts for games maybe included it for console only? Might be an issue just taking that code out of the console ecosystem.

Belmonte

Yeah, Microsoft should do an official Xbox emulator at once.

Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2
Gears of War 2 and 3
Lost Odyssey
Guardian Heroes

Anyone knows if the new Xboxes or Xbox One play these games well?

intbal

Time for a little self-promotion.
I made this list two years ago. I don't recall if there was a final update to the BC program after this, but I don't think any of these games were added. This is a list of every game from the Original Xbox that is not compatible on either the 360's BC system or the current one. These games also don't have another version on any other platform. The only way to play any of these games is on an Original Xbox, or through emulation. And Xbox emulation still has problems. (Genma Onimusha is a special case. It was heavily enhanced over Onimush: Warlords and included additional content as well as changes to the original game.)

Cryio

the PC version is absolutely awful from what I experienced. I tried playing it once and it ran at an unsteady ~40fps with an uncountable amount of bugs.
No? The PC version is perfect? I've never had ANY issues with it. I think I had ... 1 scene where I was CPU bound so my game wasn't 4K120 on a R5 3600, but other than that, smooth sailing.

Banned
No? The PC version is perfect? I've never had ANY issues with it. I think I had ... 1 scene where I was CPU bound so my game wasn't 4K120 on a R5 3600, but other than that, smooth sailing.

weird, like I said, maybe there was some weird driver issue or something back when I tried it

Larxia

Uh, I saw this thread and hought this was something brand new and got excited for a second to try Tony Hawk's Project 8 again, but then I saw it was from May and I already tried it again a month ago :messenger_loudly_crying:

Tony Hawk's Project 8 is the game I'm the most interested in with Xenia, because on rpcs3 it's impossible to get 60 fps unless you have some specific series of older intel cpus with TSX instructions.
The game on Xenia always crash after a few secondes, minutes at best, but it's been like this for a very long time. I hope one day it will run correctly, Proving Ground does run decently without crash.

I also played a bit of SSX a few months ago using Xenia, it's playable at 30 fps (original framerate), though I tried unlocking the framerate, and while it can run above 30, my GTX 1080 really can't hold the framerate since this emulator is mostly based on GPU usage. I wonder how something like a 3090 run Xenia.

This would actually make a lot of sense. But I'm wondering if it's a legal issue, probably most of the contracts for games maybe included it for console only? Might be an issue just taking that code out of the console ecosystem.
More likely as the pc is open platform, they dont want hackers to hack the emulator, and run any game on it. So we will never see ms release a xbox emulator on pc.

Banned

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I made this list two years ago. I don't recall if there was a final update to the BC program after this, but I don't think any of these games were added. This is a list of every game from the Original Xbox that is not compatible on either the 360's BC system or the current one. These games also don't have another version on any other platform. The only way to play any of these games is on an Original Xbox, or through emulation. And Xbox emulation still has problems. (Genma Onimusha is a special case. It was heavily enhanced over Onimush: Warlords and included additional content as well as changes to the original game.)

I know it is not really up to Microsoft entirely, but I would purchase Jet Set Radio Future for $30, Buffy: The Vampire Slayer for $20, Crazy Taxi 3 for $20, Driv3r for $20, and the bad Bruce Lee game for $15 with great expediency if they recieved ports to Series consoles.

P.S. It is always wierd to see Kabuto Chojin everywhere despite it being pulled from store shelves at the start of 2003 only a few months after release.

Last edited:

Banned
I know it is not really up to Microsoft entirely, but I would purchase Jet Set Radio Future for $30, Buffy: The Vampire Slayer for $20, Crazy Taxi 3 for $20, and the bad Bruce Lee game for $15 with great expediency if they recieved ports to Series consoles.

P.S. It is always wierd to see Kabuto Chojin everywhere despite it being pulled from store shelves at the start of 2003 only a few months after release.

fingers crossed that the next emu being potted to SX is CXBX Reloaded... that way at least JSRF will be playable on it finally

Why have I never heard of crimson sea?! This is EXACTLY the kind of obscure weebshit that makes gaming good!

Top Bottom