• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox ‘didn’t deliver’ on 2022’s Showcase, but Phil Spencer is ‘enthusiastic’ about this year’s

Barakov

FRRjOUy.png

Same shit, different year.

StueyDuck

I never thought I'd say it but Riky Riky is correct. The game Bloodborne is First Party and From Software is Third Party. Forspoken is a timed third party game and Square Enix is third party. Second party does not exist, confirmed by Insomniac
just because insomniac didn't use the term when making spiderman doesn't mean it doesn't exist (they also most likely knew they were being bought by Sony too at the time), the big clue is that there is a third party qualifier, you know what comes between first and third?

also bloodborne is an IP that sony owns yes, it is published by sony yes. (there is also caveats because studio japan played a role in development who is a first party studio) but Bloodborne itself is not a game developed by a first party studio. therefore it's not first party.

again it doesn't help in list wars and Sony and MS and Nintendo will tell you otherwise because it nicely bolsters their portfolio, but that is factually what Second party game actually is.

Last edited:
Phil Spencer is a fraud.

MS are stupid.

Next year, nex year... Are you fucking kidding me?!

Get rid and get someone in that's got some balls to actually challenge Sony/Nintendo even in Japan. The last interview with Spencer conceding Japan as a terriroty that Xbox can't expand to because they're 'the away team' is fucking ridiculous.

Last edited:

flying_sq

He sounds pretty annoyed with the Xbox situation, it sounded like CEO speak for "I don't know man, fuck it". Depending on how the rest of this generation goes, I wouldn't be surprised to see what is essentially a hybrid cloud Xbox approach. Have a lower spec, digital only machine (ala series S) to download and play games to. And/Or a better performing, better looking cloud gaming service billed as the "premium" way to play.

Play Series S on a nuclear sub, then when you go on shore leave, stream the fancy version online.

ZehDon

I'd argue that they're good at showcases, just bad on follow-throughs.
I'm of two minds. They're great at presentation - set up, graphics, camera work, all that stuff - but, less-than-stellar at content. So, we get terrific looking showcases that ultimately come off feeling a bit mixed. Opening their first next-gen show with Halo Infinite was the right idea, but the game was way below where it needed to be to open that kind of show. Last year's "next twelve months" was the right idea, but you're right, the follow through didn't work, because they had exactly one big game - Starfield - and it got delayed, so, we had nothing for an entire year.
it’s really unfortunate because I want Xbox to put out good games…
I think a lot of Xbox fans are right there with you.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I mean if he doesn't explain why they failed to deliver last year (let's not forget Playstation did just fine delivering last year) then why should we believe a word he says?

I have a Series S with Game Pass but I'm under no illusion that I'm probably not going to get to play a lot of the promised first party titles for a while, and if I do they will probably release in a broken state.

I am pretty excited about Hellblade II, Avoid, and whatever surprise title they could have in store. In terms of quality of content, this upcoming showcase should be much better than the previous one, as it should give us a glimpse of proper current-gen exclusives, from fist, and third parties alike...

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
All MS/Xbox has to do is announce some great looking games at their press event in June, with consistent schedules, and no bullshit promises with CGI trailers hyping things that 5-7 years out. For example in my dreams:
  • RareReplay REMIX'd - Rare Replay with every game having benefitted from Boost when able, Sea of Thieves with unique unlockables, remixed challenges (JetPAC with you getting Jiggies or some shit, I dunno. Basically NES Remix but Rare-ified), Golden Eye, and make it available on PC as well. December 2023
  • StarField - Buggy, glitchy, but deep and intricate with a focus on RPG mechanics and being a ton of fun. September 6th, 2023 (or switch with Rare Replay to ensure better QA).
  • Gears Collection (Gears 1-3 + Judgement) All "remade" using similar assets to the previous Gears 1 remake. MP similar to Halo Collection. All the bells and whistles fans want - August 2023
  • Gears 6 gameplay teaser, Summer 2024.
  • Forza 8 Gameplay, Full career mode break down, July release date, Digital Only at first. Promise of physical "complete collection" after all DLC is released at a later date.
  • Banjo and Kazooie Remake/Remaster (ala Spyro) Shadow Drop, will be part of Rare Replay Remixed as a physical release.
  • Avowed, EverWild, Hellblade 2 - gameplay trailers with tentative release dates for seasonal 2024 releases (Summer, Fall, Winter, not in that respective order).
  • Tease ES6 with a definitive announcement of where it will take place. Only CGI trailer of the entire presentation.
Every single one of these games, physical release on DISK and no downloads required. No DRM. Make promises to double down on video game preservation and to openly apologize for the mistakes taken with empty promises over the past few years.

WIll they do this? Of course not.

Am I hopeful they will improve? No.

Would I love to be proven wrong? Fuck yes.

All MS/Xbox has to do is announce some great looking games at their press event in June, with consistent schedules, and no bullshit promises with CGI trailers hyping things that 5-7 years out. For example in my dreams:
  • RareReplay REMIX'd - Rare Replay with every game having benefitted from Boost when able, Sea of Thieves with unique unlockables, remixed challenges (JetPAC with you getting Jiggies or some shit, I dunno. Basically NES Remix but Rare-ified), Golden Eye, and make it available on PC as well. December 2023
  • StarField - Buggy, glitchy, but deep and intricate with a focus on RPG mechanics and being a ton of fun. September 6th, 2023 (or switch with Rare Replay to ensure better QA).
  • Gears Collection (Gears 1-3 + Judgement) All "remade" using similar assets to the previous Gears 1 remake. MP similar to Halo Collection. All the bells and whistles fans want - August 2023
  • Forza 8 Gameplay, Full career mode break down, July release date, Digital Only at first. Promise of physical "complete collection" after all DLC is released at a later date.
  • Banjo and Kazooie Remake/Remaster (ala Spyro) Shadow Drop, will be part of Rare Replay Remixed as a physical release.
  • Avowed, EverWild, Hellblade 2 - gameplay trailers with tentative release dates for seasonal 2024 releases (Summer, Fall, Winter, not in that respective order).
  • Tease ES6 with a definitive announcement of where it will take place. Only CGI trailer of the entire presentation.
Every single one of these games, physical release on DISK and no downloads required. No DRM. Make promises to double down on video game preservation and to openly apologize for the mistakes taken with empty promises over the past few years.

Huh?

Riky

$MSFT
Does upcoming mean within 7 years? A game called Project Mara probably isn't even out of the concept stage.

I'm sure Hi Fi Rush had a project name too and people would say the same.

That list doesn't even include the likes of The Coalition, Playground, id, double fine and Inxile.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Going on to discuss this year’s Showcase, Spencer said: “I’m not going to try to oversell Showcase here, because if I was on the other side watching this it’s like, ‘hey, after Redfall, I’m going to put my hands on the controller and that’s what it’s going to take to prove it to me.’
Is he trolling his own company output? Call it honesty, I call it baffling…

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I have my Xbox Series X and Game Pass, and yeah, this is pretty accurate. Feels like Xbox has been in "wait for next year" mode for a generation and change. When was the last time Xbox had a truly great showcase?
The 2020 Showcase was good (except it was missing gameplay footage for a couple of games), but it did its job. Everyone was excited for the future of Xbox at that point after watching that Showcase.

The problems came after when they didn't follow up. Many of the games they showed in that Showcase (Avowed, Everwild, Perfect Dark, Contraband, etc.) were never even shown again -- let alone released.

I personally know the 3D artist who's working on that title. His in my Discord DMs. Met him at 3D Artist Discord where a bunch of them hang out from various studios and as independent freelancers. (I am a 3D artist myself - well I have a degree in Game Art but never utilized it, but it's still something I respect and appericate when looking at other people's work. I was thinking of jumping on that freelancing band wagon for fun and some extra side cash)

Anyways, I started looking at a variety of artists and made some connections. There is also a Discord full of Ubisoft staff that give critiques and provide feedback for upcoming artists or those who are just trying to improve their work. The Discord is such an amazing source and it's a great way to network with like minded freelancers and devs.

Obviously, due to NDA he wasn't allowed to say much in terms of project progression or anything of that sorts for Contraband other than his working on it under contract. He did state he is a 3D Prop Artist so his creating stuff like weapons and smaller objects that are part of the game world.

The Ubisoft group sounds awesome.
Is the group for 3D artist only or for both 2D artist and 3D artist?
If for both can you send me the link to join the group?
Thanks.

Not sure what you are confused on. Xbox has had a tendency to showcase CGI Trailers for games that dont' even have gameplay or engines figured out yet, games that have been stuck in dev hell for years.
Partial confusion because their last two conferences were structured around the “within 12 months” plan, which is why I guess they were seen as weaker conferences on GAF.

GymWolf

No fable? You think they have nothing to show yet?

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I’m not going to lie it’s actually admirable that you can still get hyped for these infographics. Shame the actual execution isn’t as strong as the infographic game.

I wonder how many of those games will:

a) release before the next console generation comes out, i.e within the next 4-5 years. I have my doubts about Elder Scrolls VI and Fable.
b) be cancelled
c) be a monumental failure like Redfall.

The fact that Phil Spencer truly believes great games wont move the needle for XBOX is tragic.

I've often wondered if XBOX's understood that the most crucial components of console gaming are Mindshare and Momentum. For the longest time I thought they didn't. It wasn't until the attempted activision takeover that I realized they did. The problem is that they don't have faith in building it. They want to purchase it outright, like some off the shelf component.

Unfortunately for Microsoft it isn't for sale. The only way to obtain Mindshare and Momentum is via the creation of great ip.

More than tragic, I think it's a bit depressing for the gaming market as a whole.

It feels like Phil Spencer realized Microsoft's handling of 1st party studios is so chronically incompetent that they'll never be able to compete with Sony and Nintendo with their output of videogame quality... and he's confident there's nothing he can do to change this. So he needs to focus on services and cost-cutting business models that are, ultimately, peripheral to the videogame experience.

Him blaming the loss of the 8th generation because people already built their digital libraries seems erroneous, if not dishonest. Not only is he now trying to shift the blame to The Ghost of Don Mattrick, he's completely underestimating the general audience's attraction for shiny new things.
I amassed hundreds of PS4 games in my Plus library, but what I intend to play within the next ~3 months is Jedi Survivor, Hogwarts Legacy, Plaguetale Requiem and Horizon Burning Shores. I'm really not going to play any of those old and obscure games I saved up for some day in the future. Same thing with the hundreds of the Steam games I got in humble bundles, or even the games I got for free in the Epic Games Store.

If Sega released a console tomorrow with 6 spectacular 10/10 must-buy full priced exclusive AAA $70 games I know tens of millions of gamers would buy their console and their games. The thing is Microsoft is struggling to release even one of those, despite spending billions on dev houses and IP.

Some of you guys are masturbating a little too hard. Redfall was a negetive, but HI FI Rush is still a lot of peoples GOTY canidate.
HiFi Rush is most probably not getting any GOTY award due to recency bias.
Plus, Spider Man 2 would have to be a massive screw up for it to lose against Hi Fi Rush in the action game category.

Last edited:

Pelta88

More than tragic, I think it's a bit depressing for the gaming market as a whole.

It feels like Phil Spencer realized Microsoft's handling of 1st party studios is so chronically incompetent that they'll never be able to compete with Sony and Nintendo with their output of videogame quality... and he's confident there's nothing he can do to change this. So he needs to focus on services and cost-cutting business models that are, ultimately, peripheral to the videogame experience.

Him blaming the loss of the 8th generation because people already built their digital libraries seems erroneous, if not dishonest. Not only is he now trying to shift the blame to The Ghost of Don Mattrick, he's completely underestimating the general audience's attraction for shiny new things.
I amassed hundreds of PS4 games in my Plus library, but what I intend to play within the next ~3 months is Jedi Survivor, Hogwarts Legacy, Plaguetale Requiem and Horizon Burning Shores. I'm really not going to play any of those old and obscure games I saved up for some day in the future. Same thing with the hundreds of the Steam games I got in humble bundles, or even the games I got for free in the Epic Games Store.

If Sega released a console tomorrow with 6 spectacular 10/10 must-buy full priced exclusive AAA $70 games I know tens of millions of gamers would buy their console and their games. The thing is Microsoft is struggling to release even one of those, despite spending billions on dev houses and IP.

There's an obfuscation that happens on forums which makes Phil's statement even more devastating. Microsoft's market cap is 2.278 Trillion and on forums like gaf, XBOX has access to all of that as a resource. Obviously, that couldn't be further from the truth because obviously, XBOX as a division has a specific budget. Phil stated that PS (marketing) deals make being in XBOX harder... I believe that XBOX is facing an 'Between a rock and a hard place' situation.

A. Securing third party exclusives is way more expensive due to the console only being viable in two territories.
B. PlayStation is able to pay less for third party content. Get 80-90% more in royalties due to lopsided sales globally. And devs then target PS5 as their lead platform in the console space, is where they're projected to make money.

That's a cycle of attrition. And every single rotation through that cycle diminishes XBOX standing in the console space. It's a conundrum that Phil hasn't been able to counter even after a decade in charge. To see him talk about PS deals that "Hurt" XBOX means he's watching that damaging rotation with no way to stop it.

I'm sure someone will say XBOX will be ok because Microsoft were trying to spend 70Billion to get COD. While side stepping the fact that Microsoft presented XBOX as a catastrophe behind the scenes to regulators. Claiming repeatedly to regulators that without major change, XBOX as a platform was "Untenable."

When Satya is saying COD/Activision will allow XBOX to compete, he was being brutally honest...

Last edited:

Markio128

I am pretty excited about Hellblade II, Avoid, and whatever surprise title they could have in store. In terms of quality of content, this upcoming showcase should be much better than the previous one, as it should give us a glimpse of proper current-gen exclusives, from fist, and third parties alike...
Sorry, but your typo made me genuinely lol. I think you meant Avowed. I just hope you haven’t cursed another game. 😂

Del_X

Incredible how 60% of the replies fail to read what he said. Last year’s show had a good lineup - but Starfield and Forza Motorsport failed to release before this June’s presentation which is something he stated would happen.

He’s only saying he feels like the new stuff they show this time will actually land in the next 12 months from the presentation.

ungalo

It may just be that Phil doesn’t understand what a good game or showcase actually is I honestly am starting to think that’s the case. Redfall was his mic drop reveal two years ago.
Just look at something like E3 2018. They definitely know how to hype people, what's going to hype them, even if it's deceiving in the end. Everything else is definitely damage control.

The last 4 annual showcases were bad, there were less third party publishers announcements and even less that actually wanted to present their games in a Microsoft showcase, that left them with not much. They knew they were bulshitting us with Redfall from the start but they are perpetually trying to buy some time.

ungalo

Incredible how 60% of the replies fail to read what he said. Last year’s show had a good lineup - but Starfield and Forza Motorsport failed to release before this June’s presentation which is something he stated would happen.

He’s only saying he feels like the new stuff they show this time will actually land in the next 12 months from the presentation.
Not only the show didn't have a good lineup at all, but they perfectly knew it wasn't going to release in the 12 months window. How can people not understand the communication tricks of Microsoft at this point ?

Last edited:

WoJ

I love Xbox and play most 3rd party stuff on Xbox. But there's really no reason to own one. I have zero expectations they'll put out quality 1st party games anytime soon.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I'm just going to put this out there

Microsoft's last roll of the dice is going to be to push their next console out 1 year - 6 months earlier than Sonys next console
I mean it worked for 360 but I think that was more because they had GAMES for the 360, things like Oblivion, Dead Rising, Gears of War, Saints Row, the original Prey, etc. released on 360 before the PS3 was even out

the problem is I don’t trust them to have the games anymore even if they release first, not even from third parties sadly

Top Bottom