• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s Phil Spencer criticises PlayStation’s PC strategy for being ‘late’ and ‘charging twice’

John Wick

He isn't wrong. When you buy a first party Xbox game (Gears 5, Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon, etc) you get a Windows version (via the Win10 Xbox app or the Windows store) as well. The only way you'd have to pay twice for a PC version of a MS first party game is if you decide to buy it through a third-party store.
He isn't wrong about his own games and platform. Yet his games aren't free on other PC storefronts.
I don't know why he needs to involve Sony? Sony don't have a PC storefront therefor it's a silly expectation of them to give away the PC versions free. I am glad Sony don't release day and date with PC. Should be a minimum 6-12 months before a game should come to the PC

jigglet

Banned
I don’t know if I have an issue with paying twice as it still costs money to port. I just don’t like not releasing on the same day.

Jokerevo

Banned
Sony is smart to put their games on PC. It's money left on the table and 99.9% of Sony fans will not even notice or care.
Right and it also generates interest in ps5 because when someone plays HZD on PC we're playing HZD:FW and someone who can blow that much money on a gpu can spare some for a PS5. After having seen Ratchet there are some PC friends who are already going after a ps5....the only question is how big will the port gap be?

FranXico

Right and it also generates interest in ps5 because when someone plays HZD on PC we're playing HZD:FW and someone who can blow that much money on a gpu can spare some for a PS5. After having seen Ratchet there are some PC friends who are already going after a ps5....the only question is how big will the port gap be?
PC gamers don't impulse buy consoles.
If they know ports will come, even 3 years down the line, they'll just wait.

Jim's plan is going to backfire.

John Wick

How would you deal with steams cut if the game is free? You're being a moron dude.
But but Phil is our friend...... Surely MS would foot the bill as they are pro consumer?
So the excuse is that MS won't give free Steam versions of their games because of the cut Gabe wants?
So why is Phil shooting his mouth off about Sony and paying twice????
Why doesn't he do us the consumers a favour by footing the bill for Sony to release on Steam and EGS etc???
It amazes me when idiots expect Sony to foot the bill for Steams and EGS cut.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
He isn't wrong about his own games and platform. Yet his games aren't free on other PC storefronts.
I don't know why he needs to involve Sony? Sony don't have a PC storefront therefor it's a silly expectation of them to give away the PC versions free. I am glad Sony don't release day and date with PC. Should be a minimum 6-12 months before a game should come to the PC
I think that’s his point. They can provide both for you with their platform. Sony can’t.

You can start defending why Sony can’t, but does it matter to a consumer? No.

it’s like making excuses for Xbox not having enough great first-party titles by saying “not a fair comparison, because PlayStation has better developers working with them.”

Why are you glad Sony doesn’t release day and date with PC?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think that’s his point. They can provide both for you with their platform. Sony can’t.

You can start defending why Sony can’t, but does it matter to a consumer? No.

it’s like making excuses for Xbox not having enough great first-party titles by saying “not a fair comparison, because PlayStation has better developers working with them.”

Why are you glad Sony doesn’t release day and date with PC?
Why is this even an argument at this stage? Is Xbox allowing you to play a game on Xbox if you have paid it elsewhere? No. Then why is it even a point of discussion right now?

They can throw shades at competitors, but it does not hold any value until they themselves do what they are preaching.

Can Xbox do this? Sure. Are they doing it? No, they aren't.

Top Bottom