• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s Phil Spencer criticises PlayStation’s PC strategy for being ‘late’ and ‘charging twice’

PayStation Fanboys are with a huge Margin the dumbest Human Beings in the Universe!!!

I'm absolutely speechless, so many dumb People alone in this Thread.

No wonder this Forum went downhill, every ass clown looks to be here on NeoGAF!!!

Unbelievable, and I don't want to be a part of this Forum anymore so it would be nice if a Mod could permanently ban my Account!!!

There's truth in what he's saying but Sony's way of doing things aren't exactly losing them customer's either , I guess we'll see which way is more popular by the end of the gen .

Let him go off.

Having to congratulate Playstation exclusive developers is taking a toll, when Ryan doesnt say anything nice about Xbox exclusives.

Should Sony open their own PC store? I think its too late for that, it would devalue their investment into the Epic Store. Perhaps they should give you the ability to access your purchased games in PSNow.

CamHostage

It's a fair dig, but I never understood the concept of cross-buy on PC in the first place?

I can't imagine ever playing a game on a PC if I intended to play it on console and vice versa. Cross-buy on a console-to-portable or cross-buy on a cellphone version of a game makes sense to me, but I'd just never have both installed as like, "Hmm, which box do I want to play today, the one connected to my TV or the one in my office?" Even if I had a gaming PC on my TV (sometimes I drag over the HDMI), that would become my console and I'd never bother with the console version of any game.

Cross-buy is a nice back-up and insurance program (if I had only played the main campaign of Horizon and wanted to jump back in for Frozen Wilds and see how much better the game could look, maybe I'd be in for that?), or if I wanted to try out some MODs or whatever afterwards (though I'm not eager to free up 50+GB per game just to "fuck around",) and just having the choice in a pinch is probably a good thing (maybe for parties? or trips abroad if I had a gaming laptop?) Ultimately, I do like the idea that I could legitimately say, "I own this game," not "I own this copy of this game for play on this platform...", but even MS can't honestly promise that, so their program is better in theory but not in any way an attraction to me, yet.

...Do any of you use cross-bought PC/Xbox games?

Love those salty phil tears. This Guy released a new system with no new games and has the nerve to point his finger at someone else. What a baffoon 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Your tag plus your comments are just hilarious!

All I know is I bought Cuphead off the windows store and I had a copy on my Xbox too. This was true of Streets of Rage 4 as well and MS didn't even make that game. I paid once for each game. I don't see where Phil mentioned Sony at all and I didn't detect any lies. Nothing here to get upset about.

ZywyPL

Banned
And on the opposite end if the spectrum I owned their last 2 consoles and will never buy another Xbox console as long as they treat another platform I already game on (the PC) like their primary platform.

So I'm not sure why anyone would think they are doing a better job of convincing PC gamers to buy their consoles when they are literally telling you not to bother.

And what issues with their games on PC do you have exactly?

Bo_Hazem

Banned

"Xbox boss Phil Spencer has criticised PlayStation’s PC release strategy in a rare dig at the rival platform holder.

Speaking during a briefing for media and analysts this week, the exec criticised “others” who bring console games to PC, stating that they were releasing PC versions “years later” and “charging [players] a second time”.

For several years Microsoft has released its Xbox Games Studios titles simultaneously on PC and console platforms.

In comparison, Sony released its first PC port, Horizon Zero Dawn, in 2020 – over three years after the game’s PS4 debut – and the company has said it will prioritise consoles for its game releases going forwards.

“So right now, we are the only platform shipping games on console, PC and cloud simultaneously,” Spencer said in a video presentation.

Others bring console games to PC years later, not only making people buy their hardware up front, but then charging them a second time to play on PC. And of course, all of our games are in our subscription service day one, full cross-platform included.”

hF8994EB0

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's a fair dig, but I never understood the concept of cross-buy on PC in the first place?

Ironically... I would love this for Sony games lol

I have Horizon and Days Gone on Playstation and would love to check out the PC releases w/o paying extra. (I did buy Days Gone, but haven't done the same for Horizon)

Rossco EZ

PayStation Fanboys are with a huge Margin the dumbest Human Beings in the Universe!!!

No wonder this Forum went downhill, every ass clown looks to be here on NeoGAF!!!

Unbelievable, and I don't want to be a part of this Forum anymore so it would be nice if a Mod could permanently ban my Account!!!

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Bizarre comment from Phil when he knows Sony don't have their own PC storefront.

He probably thought it was going to be a clever dig to really get this followers hard, but instead it just seems really pathetic.

CamHostage

They created a mechanism for it, it's called Windows Store.. and GPU... and are stating that advantage to consumers over competitors (Well Sony.)

They can't create a mechanism for other stores... it's quite likely they've talked to Valve about it, as has been rumored though.

Sony could create their own mechanism if they wanted to... or also talk to other stores.. like the one from a company they part own, if they wanted to.

That's a good point, unless Steam or EGS went for a cross-buy deal, the only option would be if Sony (like MS did) created their own PC Store (and Launcher, probably?)

MS is basically saying, "Hey Sony, look at what we can do, why aren't you making PC game-buying worse too?"

(*I'm personally in favor of Epic Game Store and Amazon Digital and Origin and other game lockers if the deals are right, the Steam Near-Monopoly always spooked me, but I know it drives PC gamers up the damned walls every time they have to leave Steam to find a game...)

GHG

Gold Member
And what issues with their games on PC do you have exactly?

You want to make this thread about the windows store now? Oh how I've missed this discussion, as if we haven't been having it since the start of their renewed efforts on PC.

How about the fact that when I click uninstall on Gears Tactics it doesn't actually uninstall the game and all the files remain on my system?

They can't even get the basics right so when I have to opportunity to get the games I want from them on sale on Steam (or not on sale if I want it enough immediately) then I do.

Barely anybody on PC uses their shitty store other than for gamepass. They know this, hence they are now releasing all of their games on Steam day one as well even though it means they are giving away a cut.

If he was that bothered about it then I'm sure he'd just stop allowing ganes on Xbox that don't come with the PC version for free. That'll teach so many publishers where they're going wrong.

To be honest, more than anything alse this just comes across like he's run out of things to complain about.

Last edited:

Greggy

I decide what's good value and what isn't. If I want to buy something multiple times because I like it enough then I'll do so.

I know that you look up to him in a big way but he's not my daddy.
You have every right to buy Horizon 3 times.
Phil has every right to say he only charges once for Gears 5.

Thanks.

I’ve been saying for years Sony is the king of paid remasters and people lap this up as a good thing….
Phil has a point but it’s obviously Sony’s strategy and it works for them

horizon was a hot mess on pc and I have not had a chance to play days gone but it’s great to see more big aaa console type games….it’s just some you have to pay for

IntentionalPun

That's a good point, unless Steam or EGS went for a cross-buy deal, the only option would be if Sony (like MS did) created their own PC Store (and Launcher, probably?)

MS is basically saying, "Hey Sony, look at what we can do, why aren't you making PC game-buying worse too?"

(*I'm personally in favor of Epic Game Store and Amazon Digital and Origin and other game lockers if the deals are right, the Steam Near-Monopoly always spooked me, but I know it drives PC gamers up the damned walls every time they have to leave Steam to find a game...)

I mean they are halfway there with EGS already; I actually use my PSN ID to log in. lol And as stated, they.. do own part of Epic.

But I've been speculating about Sony doing a launcher/store for a long time now.. I actually think they'd be one of the more successful companies at it, especially if their PC releases were exclusive to it, and even imagine they could get some 3rd parties on it.

I don't see someone like Sony giving away games on a platform like Steam, but could see them doing it for "Playstation Launcher", or even EGS, particularly if they increase their investment in Epic... who are going public. If Sony can acquire a larger portion of Epic before, or as part of Epic's IPO.. then simply owning those shares would be motivation enough to make EGS a more popular store.. as EGS growing is likely fairly essential for any Epic IPO, as right now they are quite in the balance with so much of their value coming from a single game whose popularity might be finite. (and stocks are all about growth.. and growth potential.. not just "we are making money".. even if Fortnite stayed the same, and their Unreal Engine business stayed the same.. Epic's stock isn't going to rise a lot or anything.)

Last edited:

Greggy

But yet Phil is charging me twice if I want it in 2 different places on the same platform.

Funny that.
Get GP ultimate and you can have it on the cloud, PC or any xbox for a fifth of what Horizon costs and alongside hundreds of other games.
I don't follow the reasoning of complaining where it's almost free and jerking off where it's double the price.
(Some) gamers are something else.

GHG

Gold Member
Get GP ultimate and you can have it on the cloud, PC or any xbox for a fifth of what Horizon costs and alongside hundreds of other games.
I don't follow the reasoning of complaining where it's almost free and jerking off where it's double the price.
(Some) gamers are something else.

I don't want your shitty gamepass ultimate and xcloud thank you very much.

I'd like the games I already permanently own to be part of my steam library so that I can easily play them how and when I want to.

"almost free". Give me a break.

tenor.gif

Greggy

I don't want your shitty gamepass ultimate and xcloud thank you very much.

I'd like the games I already permanently own to be part of my steam library so that I can easily play them how and when I want to.

"almost free". Give me a break.
Hint: That's exactly what happens when you buy them on the xbox store, you just get them cheaper thanks to your GPU discount.
Smh.
Oh and break given. Do you, please.

kyussman

People need to relax about the Xbox has no games thing right now.They have bought so many studios of course it's funny they have released fuck all games.....we all know they are coming and I'm sure they will have a great portfolio by the gens end....until then there are plenty of laughs to be had at their expense I think.....I'll be getting an XSX for sure.

Phil talking shit means he's annoyed with Sony moving to the PC space.
Lol at the defenders like you. I mean.... Why would MS care that games are coming out on their windows machines.

I know you lot don't like him.... But why are you Defending paying for the same games twice. Surely he's right in saying its great value to buy the game on your console and being able to get it on PC at no extra cost. I wish every publisher was able to offer this.

Spitfire098

and-nothing-of-value-was-lost.jpg

What the hell is with PC gamers pretending that if a game isn't on Steam, it's not on PC? Cult-like behaviour. Xbox studios games are all on PC.
I am perfectly entitled to not want 5 DRM systems/storefronts for no reason on my PC.

If MS wants me to get their stuff they should give me free games like Amazon and Epic (I keep stram because it's the big one and I have a tona of games on it).

Play Anywhere and Gamepass justify what he is saying, it's a much better value proposition and you even get save games across formats. I play Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4 and Sea Of Thieves on PC as well for no extra cost.
It's the best deal in gaming for a reason.
Value to you. None of those games have any value to me. You would have to pay me to take time off my day to play any of those games. My time is way more valuable than the price of any game. I just bought the deluxe version of Rift Apart. 85$ of value.

My 10 year old cousin in the other hand, I switched his familys old X360 with my Xbox One and I paid for his gamepass. But he loves Smash and Mario Kart way more than all those games combined. Loves him so Minecraft too.

MacReady13

I'll be honest- to me it never made sense why you would have a gaming PC and an Xbox console. A gaming PC is basically a far more powerful Xbox so just buy the games on PC! And if you own the console, why get a gaming PC to play the games you already own on console? Maybe I'm missing something here. Either way, I am assuming Sony porting their games to PC is for people who don't own a Sony console to play those console exclusives.

reinking

Gold Member

Dude. You joined in January at the height of console warring. What a bold sacrifice you are willing to make asking for a ban. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I'll be honest- to me it never made sense why you would have a gaming PC and an Xbox console. A gaming PC is basically a far more powerful Xbox so just buy the games on PC! And if you own the console, why get a gaming PC to play the games you already own on console? Maybe I'm missing something here. Either way, I am assuming Sony porting their games to PC is for people who don't own a Sony console to play those console exclusives.
I own a gaming PC, and an Xbox.. and a Playstation.. (Well really I have like 5 of each lol) my wife and I play games across all of them... and I own Days Gone on Playstation and PC.

*shrug*

Last edited:

kyussman

Ha,ha...this is great.(You are joking,right?)

Zeroing

Banned
Everything is always about Phill! As if he is this sage giving wise words to us simple mortals. If he was running Nintendo or Sony, he would been fired in less than 1 year.

zcaa0g

Banned
It's a sign of desperation when you start firing shots at your competitors.

Maybe he should focus his attention on releasing a single half decent exclusive for the XsX.

It's also a sign of being pathetic by being a console fanboy. Neither are good and both are embarrassing.

Zeroing

Banned

Omg I’m worried about you! Are you well buddy?

GHG

Gold Member
When you buy an album on iTunes do you get it on Amazon music too?

If for some reason iTunes doesn't allow me to stream that music across my home network to my surround sound system but Amazon music does then yes I would.

If you can't work it out, I frequently use Steam link across my home network. Having all my games in my steam library is absolutely my preference.

So come on Phil, be the pro-consumer executive you like to portray and give us those free Steam codes for games we already own on the Windows store.

Valve is charging you that second time; this narrative is so stupid lol

Nope, Microsoft are. Who gets to keep most of the money from my purchase?

Last edited:
Top Bottom