• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox’s Phil Spencer criticises PlayStation’s PC strategy for being ‘late’ and ‘charging twice’

Saber

Gold Member
Not sure I understand, with what moral he has to criticize Sony if they didn't even stand a chance in the competition?

Why don't you criticize Nintendo for not putting their games on PC? Oh right, they don't need.

You would do better stay quiet and work on your games, like Sony and Nintendo do.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What?

What a stupid thing to say. If I buy a Xbox game, I don't get the PC version automatically.

Double-dipping on multiple platforms is a choice, not an obligation.

Exactly! If a PC gamer doesn't have a PS4 or PS5 and they get Horizon Zero Dawn on PC, they would have bought the game only once.

Spidey Fan

Banned
phil isnt going to have sex with you dude you dont need to do all this
Distracting College Basketball GIF

GHG

Not sure if it's UWP or not. I know it's a different version of the game from what's on Steam as DRG on Steam can't play cross-plat with Xbox and I picked up DRG to play with my Pops on his Xbone. I'll install Forza and see how that goes I guess just to see if I can give ya a hand. I'd be surprised though if I can't stream it, I've yet to have a game I can't do it with.

edit:

Preliminary googling seems to indicate that DRG from windows store IS a UWP game. How are you adding games to your shield for Gamestream GHG GHG ? I'll download Forza tonight and test it tomorrow, but all you gotta do is just add the shortcut of the game to the shield, so I essentially added the DRG shortcut that was on my desktop and the shield did the rest.

Let me know how it goes, I've tried everything even down to adding the individual subfolders folders manually to the "scan location".

I'm now getting some new problem where when I try to launch a gamepass app it opens up the windows store Microsoft gaming services page. Honestly I give up on this crap.

Varteras

Gold Member
Awful mouthy of someone who has been in charge of Xbox for 7 years and hasn't had many games released yet.

Most people I know don't double dip on a game between console and PC unless they get the other version for a steal anyways.

What's so wrong about a company maximizing their profits from their games released on different platforms? Is Phil prepared to chastise EA? Capcom? Activision? Square Enix?

oldergamer

Awful mouthy of someone who has been in charge of Xbox for 7 years and hasn't had many games released yet.

Most people I know don't double dip on a game between console and PC unless they get the other version for a steal anyways.

What's so wrong about a company maximizing their profits from their games released on different platforms? Is Phil prepared to chastise EA? Capcom? Activision? Square Enix?
He didn't punch any puppies, don't get all worked up about it.

junguler

Banned
good guy phil has the right to be wrong sometimes, sony wants to bring their games on pc, something that was a pc gamers wet dream a few years ago but they are not ready to do it day1 yet and that's fine. playstation is their number 1 priority and where their bread gets buttered, pc sales are just a bonus and believe me pc gamers are thankful for the few games we already gotten.

having said all this of course the game pass is the best offer in gaming right now and it's amazing how pc gamers get the games day and date as xbox gamers.

you xbox dudes love to watch other peoples pockets...if your happy with gamepass then cool but dont try to shame sony fans because they dont mind paying $70 for quality games....

Man....you guys are out in full force huh? You guys are hilarious. Keep on keeping on.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I mean running defense is all the Xbox fanbase has done for 7 years now and it's thanks to the guy who made the comment I'm criticizing.
I love it. You guys really draw a line in the sand defending your chosen piece of silicon. I don't have a dog in the race, I'll just play everything, but I do get a kick out of how hard some of ya'll will go to defend companies that don't give a shit about anybody.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
PS Now 60$ year, think about it, apply your own logic from above.

You live in a fantasy land.
Admit that you dont have amazing value like that.
I like teasing Playstation people. They are fun to tease.
Well, I have to stop this nonsense tease.

I am multiplatform, so whatever deal on both side benefit me massively. Don't care whether Sony or Xbox Duke out. I am just reaping the benefits.

Varteras

Gold Member
I love it. You guys really draw a line in the sand defending your chosen piece of silicon. I don't have a dog in the race, I'll just play everything, but I do get a kick out of how hard some of ya'll will go to defend companies that doesn't give a shit about anybody.
What I love is the insistence that my disapproval of Phil Spencer means I have a horse in the race and it must be PlayStation. I actually prefer PC. A vast majority of my time is spent playing MMOs. I sometimes play Battlefield with friends on PlayStation and I do love quite a few of their exclusives. I also play my Switch a lot when I'm on the go. I was a big fan of Xbox during its OG and 360 days. I stopped when Xbox One's shit hit the fan. When they produce games I like again I'll be back on board. That won't change the fact that I think Spencer has been given a pass for way too long.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
PlayStation, because they have games I actually want to play.
that is a good choice for you. I am not gonna make fun of you. Play what you like, and ignore what other people order you to do. They have amazing games. Its just that i am not agreeing with the games that they dropped lately.

What I love is the insistence that my disapproval of Phil Spencer means I have a horse in the race and it must be PlayStation. I actually prefer PC. A vast majority of my time is spent playing MMOs. I sometimes play Battlefield with friends on PlayStation and I do love quite a few of their exclusives. I also play my Switch a lot when I'm on the go. I was a big fan of Xbox during its OG and 360 days. I stopped when Xbox One's shit hit the fan. When they produce games I like again I'll be back on board. That won't change the fact that I think Spencer has been given a pass for way too long.
I really like the direction Spencer has taken Xbox division after he was essentially put in charge of the dumpster fire that the Xbox One reveal was when it was given to him. I've played plenty of "exclusives" on the Xbone/PC that I've enjoyed quite a bit. Not nearly as good as Sony's offerings by any means, but that doesn't mean they are outright bad games. He should be commended for how well Xbox has been turned around and the very pro-consumer moves in general especially considering how evil MSFT has been in the past since it's inception.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Most PC gamers will wait patiently for Playstation games. They are not going to buy PS5 to play exclusive, and then buy the game again on steam.
Not saying no one does this but saying Sony charging twice is kind of accusation here.

GHG

Krappadizzle Krappadizzle you glorious bastard.

I got gaming services working again one windows update, registry edit and restart later so I could get my windows store games working again. This is the fix in case anyone is wondering or ends up with the same issue.

Instead of letting gamestream scan the folders I created a desktop shortcut for Gears Tactics and then added that to the list on gamestream:

e8WPz2l.jpg

And it fucking worked. It seems to just stream the whole desktop when you do it this way so it's a tad janky but it's better than nothing. I can't do the same thing via steam link because that requires you to point directly to the .exe and not a shortcut but I can at least get these games streamed to the living room for now.

Now I have an ugly icon on my desktop that I need to sort out but I'll just create a folder in my documents and move it there then re-add it.

Thank you.

e8WPz2l.jpg

And it fucking worked. It seems to just stream the whole desktop when you do it this way so it's a tad janky but it's better than nothing. I can't do the same thing via steam link because that requires you to point directly to the .exe and not a shortcut but I can at least get these games streamed to the living room for now.

Now I have an ugly icon on my desktop that I need to sort out but I'll just create a folder in my documents and move it there then re-add it.

Thank you.
giphy.gif

Glad you got it man!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They are doing something their competitor isn't doing... that's all they said, and it's absolutely true.

Why in the world does MS saying stuff like that trigger so many people here so much? Where did they say they are the white knights? They have a nice offering.. so they talk about it.

So maybe unlocking games for free on Steam isn't in their interests... OK? They still give you a free PC copy with an Xbox purchase of their games if you buy them digitally.. it's.. more than what you get on the competitor.

It is not in Microsoft's or Sony's interest to give away games for free on Steam. Microsoft is bragging about unlocking games from within its own stores which exists across console and PC. They are comparing that to Sony selling their games on PC......on Steam. Which Microsoft also does......also not for free. So what Spencer said is only partially true and leaves out details.

"Others bring console games to PC years later, not only making people buy their hardware up front, but then charging them a second time to play on PC."

Spencer is pretending "PC" doesn't include Steam I guess because he certainly doesn't clarify what part of the many stores that make up "PC" he is referring to. Anyone who read what Phil Spencer said and opens up Steam expecting to find all those games free of charge is going to be in for a surprise. This is disingenuous.

Last edited:

Three

Somebody ask him why MCC took years and didn't actually release as a collection but one by one on PC. You had to buy it several times.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It is not in Microsoft's or Sony's interest to give away games for free on Steam. Microsoft is bragging about unlocking games from within its own stores which exists across console and PC. They are comparing that to Sony selling their games on PC......on Steam. Which Microsoft also does......also not for free. So what Spencer said is only partially true and leaves out details.

"Others bring console games to PC years later, not only making people buy their hardware up front, but then charging them a second time to play on PC."

Spencer is pretending "PC" doesn't include Steam I guess because he certainly doesn't clarify what part of the many stores that make up "PC" he is referring to. Anyone who read what Phil Spencer said and opens up Steam expecting to find all those games free of charge is going to be in for a surprise. This is disingenuous.
Microsoft has a way to play on PC where they don’t charge you extra.

Sony doesn’t.

How in the world is it disingenuous? It’s not partially true… MS doesn’t make you pay to play on PC.

Why do people keep repeating “MS has a store, Sony doesn’t”… that’s… the point lol

Last edited:

Three

What?

What a stupid thing to say. If I buy a Xbox game, I don't get the PC version automatically.

Double-dipping on multiple platforms is a choice, not an obligation.
Reading the quote it's him talking about Gamepass as "their platform". Dude didn't even do a simultaneous release of games like FS2020 and Gears tactics there but they certainly are doing better than others in what he mentions.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I love it. You guys really draw a line in the sand defending your chosen piece of silicon. I don't have a dog in the race, I'll just play everything, but I do get a kick out of how hard some of ya'll will go to defend companies that don't give a shit about anybody.
Nah sony gives a shit about me, they actually release quality games.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Steam is on PC. Microsoft's games are on Steam. Microsoft's games are not free on Steam. Spencer made absolutely no mention of their own store. That is how in the world it is disingenuous.
Sony makes you pay a second time to play on PC. (Which is fine, but not paying sure would be a nice option)

Microsoft doesn’t.

You have the choice to buy the game on Steam… you also could choose to sign in to a different account and buy them on Windows Store if you really fealt like it.

They do make you pay to play on Steam… which is not synonymous with “PC”… PC is.

Last edited:

Warablo

When you buy a digital copy of a Microsoft studios game, you can play it on your Xbox or PC without repurchasing. Usually with cross progression/play.

All Phil is saying, Sony delays releasing games on PC on release to try and get people to double dip later down the road.

Varteras

Gold Member
I really like the direction Spencer has taken Xbox division after he was essentially put in charge of the dumpster fire that the Xbox One reveal was when it was given to him. I've played plenty of "exclusives" on the Xbone/PC that I've enjoyed quite a bit. Not nearly as good as Sony's offerings by any means, but that doesn't mean they are outright bad games. He should be commended for how well Xbox has been turned around and the very pro-consumer moves in general especially considering how evil MSFT has been in the past since it's inception.
See the issue I have with Spencer is his bullshit. He dismantled Xbox's first party. They had a ton of studios and most of them got closed, consolidated, or released in one big swoop. Phantom Dust and Crackdown? Those debacles were under his watch. He announced those games before any real work had been done on them. Hell I don't even think Crackdown had a developer by the time he made the announcement at that E3. Every year he hyped up the Xbox fanbase to high heavens and then dropped the damn ball again and again.

He would talk about hating third party exclusivity deals but he would do them anyways. He would talk about the importance of first party but he spent 4 years dismantling it and making no progress to improve it. The dude just talks shit. He launched a console with no new exclusive titles. He gave the greenlight to the Halo Infinite preview which rightfully got shit on. That studio had 5 years by that point to show something good and that's what they had? That was on his watch. I've said multiple times on this forum that 343 has been allowed to fumble around with Halo for too damn long now and that's on Spencer.

The way things are sounding we're looking at late 2022, 2023, or (fuck me) even 2024 before games from all these studios start rolling in. Which means by that time Phil Spencer spent damn near a decade failing to provide his players with such a critical aspect of owning an Xbox over anything else. Exclusive experiences. And he did that with that stupid smile on his face the whole time. It just irks me that someone who has failed so spectacularly in those ways gets defended. Like, you're not even allowed to remotely criticize him because of backwards compatibility, Gamepass, and Microsoft getting lucky that Zenimax wanted to sell to get out of their tough financial outlook.

And it's the fact that Microsoft, as you put it, has been "evil" in the past that makes me not trust for a second what they're doing now. We already witnessed them try to double the price of Xbox Live and then very quickly back track when they got raked over the coals for it. During a pandemic of all times, too. Though believe me, I'm not at all blind to the fuckery of other companies. I still think it's retarded of him to criticize a competitor for doing something the way they do when the same can be said for pretty much every major third party out there. The same third parties whose asses he needs to kiss.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
PayStation Fanboys are with a huge Margin the dumbest Human Beings in the Universe!!!

I'm absolutely speechless, so many dumb People alone in this Thread.

No wonder this Forum went downhill, every ass clown looks to be here on NeoGAF!!!

Unbelievable, and I don't want to be a part of this Forum anymore so it would be nice if a Mod could permanently ban my Account!!!

giphy.gif

Calling all gamers calling all gamers! Please know that you are not obliged to buy both a console and a PC version of the same game. If it is the very same title, either one would suffice. If you have only one of the two machines, we would advise against buying whichever you do not possess, only to be forced to add the unecessary expense of shelling out for its own version of said title. Thank you for using your brains!
What would we be doing without uncle Phil?

Topher

Gold Member
Sony makes you pay a second time to play on PC.

Microsoft doesn’t.

That depends. On their own store they don't. On Steam, they do. Just like Sony.

You have the choice to buy the game on Steam… you also could choose to sign in to a different account and buy them on Windows Store if you really fealt like it.

They do make you pay to play on Steam… which is not synonymous with “PC”… PC is.

Neither Microsoft's own store nor Steam are synonymous with "PC". Spencer did not make note of the difference at all. But frankly, in the PC gaming world, Steam is absolutely the definition of PC gaming more than Microsoft's store is. So I guess Phil Spencer is trying to sell his own store along while throwing shade at Sony at the same time. It is smart, I give him that, but still not on the level.

longdi

Banned
not just Phil though, everyone, mostly everyone, have been critical about how jimbo has chartered the new PS course.
We seen a lot of grievances even from GAF sony fans.

So i dont see the issue. Phil just calls out what the ground feels. At least with Phil authority, it adds weight and pressure, hopefully to force jimbo to reconsider. 🤷‍♀️

Dabaus

Banned
If Phil can console war then so can I.

Phil can’t manage the studios he already owns so he he can do the only thing Microsoft can which is buy out more companies to make them as vapid, empty, and soulless as the other studios they own. They’ve released more consoles than they have games in the past 5 years and apparently are making a new one. It’s a parody, but a dangerous, industry destroying, monopolistic, unpopular parody. Fuck this company.

Again, if Phil can console war then so can we.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
i dont know what you smoking man. phil took xbox from 5 dev to 23 dev. and he is still out there trying to secure devs for xbox. where were your crap, when sony was securing day 1 games for their console? was that phil fault?

I appreciate the dude for trying to open xbox to pc players. i wouldnt have bought a console, if it weren't for gamepass. and having to play my games both pc and xbox, and having my savings carried to the xbox and pc seamlessly.

Varteras

Gold Member
i dont know what you smoking man. phil took xbox from 5 dev to 23 dev. and he is still out there trying to secure devs for xbox. where were your crap, when sony was securing day 1 games for their console? was that phil fault?

I appreciate the dude for trying to open xbox to pc players. i wouldnt have bought a console, if it weren't for gamepass. and having to play my games both pc and xbox, and having my savings carried to the xbox and pc seamlessly.
I spelled out my dislike of Spencer in a post after the one you quoted.

Imagine what his position would be if Xbox gaming studios budgets were dependent on what that department brought in? He'd have been out on his ass a long time ago if that were the case. He has yet to actually do anything other than talk a lot, the guy is full of talk but so far very light on action. He needs to start showing games that are coming within the next few months and stop talking, at some point xbox only consumers will get wise to his BS, it's a shame they haven't already. For the record I have an XSX and am playing Fable 3 on it because I love that series and also because there is nothing actually next gen for it on game pass from first party.

Spidey Fan

Banned

I got gaming services working again one windows update, registry edit and restart later so I could get my windows store games working again. This is the fix in case anyone is wondering or ends up with the same issue.

Instead of letting gamestream scan the folders I created a desktop shortcut for Gears Tactics and then added that to the list on gamestream:

e8WPz2l.jpg

Thank you.
do you have smart android box tv? you can play geforce, stadia and xcloud on that box. connect your controller, and you will have great experience playing all 3 on that box. all you need is android box tv, controller and tv.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I spelled out my dislike of Spencer in a post after the one you quoted.
well I like him, compared to his competor. i dont care if they do grandiose games. if i dont have other ways to play those games, its a meaningless to me. I am not gonna tie myself to a console, and be dedicated to it. I will wait for them 5 years when they get cheap, and their games cost like 10$.

Klayzer

Ahh, that fresh E3 new car smell from Microsoft.

All that's missing is the annual, "This is biggest Xbox show ever". Also, isn't Aaron the one that's usually tasked with the direct Sony jibs?

If I was Aaron, I would be worried that Phil might be displeased with his performance. Anyway, lets get this mofo started. Starfield, Halo, and some surprises should melt this forum to the ground with excitement.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Imagine what his position would be if Xbox gaming studios budgets were dependent on what that department brought in? He'd have been out on his ass a long time ago if that were the case. He has yet to actually do anything other than talk a lot, the guy is full of talk but so far very light on action. He needs to start showing games that are coming within the next few months and stop talking, at some point xbox only consumers will get wise to his BS, it's a shame they haven't already. For the record I have an XSX and am playing Fable 3 on it because I love that series and also because there is nothing actually next gen for it on game pass from first party.
from 5 to 23 studios. yes he is full of himself. the xbox who has no games gained massive ammount of games, because of him. good job downplaying the guys job.

Varteras

Gold Member
I think a fair few got "wise" when Xbox One did only 65% of Xbox 360's sales. Same as when PS3 only did a little over half of PS2's sales when Sony got stupid.

GHG

do you have smart android box tv? you can play geforce, stadia and xcloud on that box. connect your controller, and you will have great experience playing all 3 on that box. all you need is android box tv, controller and tv.

It's a Shield TV so in essence yeh it's an android box.

I'm not interested in streaming over the internet though, only do in-home streaming from devices I have running locally.

Top Bottom